2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Actually it's not in 3/4 but you know what I mean. One counts in threes.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
one TWO three breath PLAY

gotta go practice
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by TimR
one TWO three breath PLAY

Or in the drummer's case :

one TWO dribble PLAY.

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by prout
[[q Years ago, H. Somers wrote some wondeful arrangements of Newfoundland folk songs. One was in fast 7/8 time and the 'conductor' was counting out loud "One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Se-Ven, One, Two...". A bit of a disaster for the choir. A suggestion was made to change the word "Se-ven" to the French "Sept" and the problem was solved.

The invention of the wheel again - thousands of years ago, the Hindus created connacol : ||:Taki-taki -takita |Taki-taki -takita :|| Last week my workshop played in concert a Macedonian song at 7/8 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7n2MBXEknk

With the use of taki-taki , it still took only 3 rehearsals to master the rhythm.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thinking about this:
Originally Posted by Gary D.
You have to do a lot of work to get people to subdivide, the idea being that a quarter has two mini-pules when there are 8ths, or 4 if there are 16ths. It is necessary for beginners to understand how this works, and it's not easy to teach. So theoretically you can count from 1 to 16 in a 4/4 bar with 16ths ...

I like the idea of subdivision for several reasons. The first is that it drives me batty when teachers write that "the quarter note is a beat". Maybe the first music they teaching is all in 4/4 and 3/4, but it raises havoc later with different time signatures (3/8 etc.). Note values are proportional to each other.-- two of these fit in one of those. With what you are describing, ones gets flexibility early - can shift from one note value to the other for figuring out timing.

It might also go a long way to preventing the Fear of the Flags (or beams), where eighths, sixteenths, become Scary Fast Notes in people's minds. You've been using them as counting tools from the beginning, like friendly toy building blocks.

What we do is this:

1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, which of course can be any counting system or scat. Then 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and, 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and, or any similar thing.

Then 1 e + a, 2 e + a, 3 e + a, 4 e + a

A nice progression from one to the next.

The problem is that a beginner will not understand the concept of "4 beats" unless you eventually clap on the numbers, or put on a metronome and demonstrate. I teach it as "16 things", meaning that any symbol, 1, e, and, uh is a "count", and that "counts" don't have to be round numbers. Then we decide how we are going to feel these counts. You might actually feel a pulses on every 16th in something that is going incredibly slowly, and feeling 8 would not be unusual. But it could also be only 2, in cut time or in something going very, very fast.

I like the flexibility of this.

An afterthought: I taught theory once to someone who had been playing for a number of years but mostly on her own. These three concepts were originally jumbled together and had to be separated:
- note value
- time signature
- beat

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Nahum
[[q Years ago, H. Somers wrote some wondeful arrangements of Newfoundland folk songs. One was in fast 7/8 time and the 'conductor' was counting out loud "One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Se-Ven, One, Two...". A bit of a disaster for the choir. A suggestion was made to change the word "Se-ven" to the French "Sept" and the problem was solved.

The invention of the wheel again - thousands of years ago, the Hindus created connacol : ||:Taki-taki -takita |Taki-taki -takita :|| Last week my workshop played in concert a Macedonian song at 7/8 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7n2MBXEknk

With the use of taki-taki , it still took only 3 rehearsals to master the rhythm.

I have one question to you: why do you always write as if you're the only guy in the universe who understands anything, and the rest of us are fools that might finally catch up to you in 1000 years?

Of COURSE anything in 7 is going to be 2+2+3, 3+2+2 or 2+3+2. You can call it anything you want, but if the people you are working with are not used to this rhythm, it will be new. Some people will pick it up in seconds, others will take longer, and taki-taki-takita is not a magic trick that suddenly will solve all rhythm problems.

The above can also be 4+3 or 3+4, with any syllables, including scat, that gets the job done.

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Sometimes I hit my pupils over the head sharply with the metronome if they're not playing in time. I find this to be an efficient method.

So yes. A metronome is extremely effective in making your pupils play in time.

</thread>

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by keystring

An afterthought: I taught theory once to someone who had been playing for a number of years but mostly on her own. These three concepts were originally jumbled together and had to be separated:
- note value
- time signature
- beat

Yup. These concepts are all blurred together. And I have to warn beginners not to read lines and spaces differently when there are beams. Believe it or not, they often do. The get confused about where the notes are when there are beams, or even when stems flip.

Once you know the tempo, for the most part time signatures are extra information you don't need. You need to know the pulse, and the speed. Then things have to be timed so X number of a note with Y value fit in.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I, and my wife, use a metronome (iPad based) many times daily. It is extremely useful. But out of a 5 hour teaching session and a 3 hour practice session, it might be used for a total of 1 minute.

I have two metronomes, the old fashioned kind with the weight and another that uses a battery. I also have one somewhere in an app on my computer or cell phone, and at the moment I don't even know where.

I used these things at some time with every student, to illustrate how and why to use it. But like you I only use it for a few seconds, and for the same reason. Sometimes I want to find out if a marking on a page is close to what I'm playing, mostly out of curiosity, because if I'm convinced by a tempo I have chosen, I'm not likely to change because of a marking. In fact, that's probably the only reason I use it for myself. For students I use it for a number of reasons.

1. To prove that they are out of rhythm, when they don't believe me.
2. To illustrate changing a beat subdivision to anything, like switching from triplets to groups of 4 to 5 tuplets, and so on.
3. As a very cheap and crude drummer, to illustrate how we can play very flexibly over a steady beat. (You mentioned this talking about singers who are obviously behind or ahead of the beat in a way that is effective, mostly to do with the words and the freedom of text.)
4. In some cases to show that there are times when we slow up from section to section, or speed up, when it is not audible, where a very slow section may actually be faster than a later section, marked with the same tempo, that has many notes per beat..
5. To prove that top ensembles sometimes come in early after rests, all together, in a way that is either planned as an ensemble or just happens, because it is effective.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by DDobs
Someone said this thread was a complete waste of time. I disagree, as I'm the OP and have gleaned some insight from people's comments. Also, while I do search the archives from time to time, sometimes I forget - so if you've said something before, and I've missed it, don't take it personally.

Who said it? Are you quoting me?

I'm saying that it's a huge waste of time when people do not address WHY a metronome should not be used, or why it SHOULD be used.

I'm also suggesting that the most practical and down-to-earth replies are lost.

As a teacher I can tell you, off the top of my head, a good 10 reasons why the metronome is important and should be used.

And I can tell you a good 10 reasons why using it is a bad idea.

And if your teacher can't do this, you have a poor teacher.

- note value
- time signature
- beat

Yup. These concepts are all blurred together. And I have to warn beginners not to read lines and spaces differently when there are beams. Believe it or not, they often do. The get confused about where the notes are when there are beams, or even when stems flip.

Once you know the tempo, for the most part time signatures are extra information you don't need. You need to know the pulse, and the speed. Then things have to be timed so X number of a note with Y value fit in.

I often find, when I read explanations students are given, or see quotes from books, that there is such a hurry to get to the playing of music, that the explanations are rushed. Thus "The quarter note is a beat." No, it is not! The quarter note lasts twice as long as an eighth note; two quarter notes fit inside the timing of a half note. That is the definition or duration of a quarter note. It has nothing to do with the beat, which is a distinct and separate thing.

The beat has to do with a measure, and an underlying pulse. In 3/4 time, the beat is indeed the length of a quarter note and there are three of them. But the ratio of note values (half, quarter, eighth) is still as it is. In 3/8 time the beat lasts the time of 3 eighth notes. But the value of the notes remains the same: 2 eighth notes = 1 quarter note, etc.

If you do use a metronome as a tool - or if you use counting to work out your music or work with it - then this distinction also gives you flexibility. Quarter note = 60 in 3/4 time, I could set my metronome at 60. I could also set it at 120 for eighth notes. I can work with the music all kinds of ways if I truly understand, in my bones, the actual concepts. How many of us, as students, have ended up vaguely mucking about? And did so for years?

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T

If you do use a metronome as a tool - or if you use counting to work out your music or work with it - then this distinction also gives you flexibility. Quarter note = 60 in 3/4 time, I could set my metronome at 60. I could also set it at 120 for eighth notes. I can work with the music all kinds of ways if I truly understand, in my bones, the actual concepts. How many of us, as students, have ended up vaguely mucking about? And did so for years?

It would be useful to set it to 20 and work one beat per measure. The speed would be the same. It might have a waltz feel. <g>

But my phone app only goes down to 40, and there are times when I would like it slower - not to play a piece more slowly, but to have less frequent ticks. There are metronome apps, I think tonal energy might be one, that can be set to randomly drop ticks.

Last night at bells rehearsal I started them on a new piece, with 6 quarter notes per measure. There is nothing difficult in this one, it is actually easier than the piece in 4/4 we had just played through. However the struggle was immense. I had to patiently explain measure by measure. Yes, a quarter note still gets one beat. No, you must give a half note two beats. If you have a whole note and two quarter, we will not play the quarter notes until beats 5 and 6. Tries it, plays whole note on beat one, quarter notes on two and three. We only meet once a week and the forgetting in between makes it hard for these concepts to stick, with a couple of people who have zero musical background. And sometimes I think they understand, but they really don't.

gotta go practice
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
1. To prove that they are out of rhythm, when they don't believe me.
2. To illustrate changing a beat subdivision to anything, like switching from triplets to groups of 4 to 5 tuplets, and so on.
3. As a very cheap and crude drummer, to illustrate how we can play very flexibly over a steady beat. (You mentioned this talking about singers who are obviously behind or ahead of the beat in a way that is effective, mostly to do with the words and the freedom of text.)
4. In some cases to show that there are times when we slow up from section to section, or speed up, when it is not audible, where a very slow section may actually be faster than a later section, marked with the same tempo, that has many notes per beat..
5. To prove that top ensembles sometimes come in early after rests, all together, in a way that is either planned as an ensemble or just happens, because it is effective.

I tend to use the metronome a lot more than you do. For at least three more reasons:

1) Gradual speeding up of difficult sections. You start at 60, then work your way up to 200.

2) Polyrhythm. For 3-against-4, you set the metronome at either the 3 or the 4 and work on fitting other rhythm to "sync up" at the right places.

3) The "bell" function. Get students to practice matching the downbeats of every measure. It helps them feel 3/4 vs. 6/8 vs. 4/4 and so on. Get the sense of meter in their playing.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

I tend to use the metronome a lot more than you do. For at least three more reasons:

1) Gradual speeding up of difficult sections. You start at 60, then work your way up to 200.

2) Polyrhythm. For 3-against-4, you set the metronome at either the 3 or the 4 and work on fitting other rhythm to "sync up" at the right places.

3) The "bell" function. Get students to practice matching the downbeats of every measure. It helps them feel 3/4 vs. 6/8 vs. 4/4 and so on. Get the sense of meter in their playing.

I agree on 2 and 3, but here's a take on 1) I found useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9X4h-cY1uw&spfreload=10

gotta go practice
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I am asking teachers in general here and very seriously - Given all your ideas regarding 'metronomic playing' as opposed to 'capricious tempo fluctuations', at what point do you allow the student to take control of the music and express themselves? Do we ban their exposure to extreme performanc examples of a work, even if the composer him or herself is the performer?

You ban exposure to extreme performance examples of a work UNTIL the student is able to maintain a steady internal pulse.

It's interesting you put Debussy up as an example. One student (not mine) at a recent performance workshop played that piece with capricious changes of rhythm. His teacher blamed Youtube. I agree.

As a teacher, you have to make the judgment call. You have to provide students with proper guidance at the right time. There will be a time when listening to composer's own rendition of a work might be appropriate. Also, I wouldn't take a composer's performance of his own work to be THE definitive way of playing a piece. You can gain ideas and insights, but you're certainly not obligated to parrot them all.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

OMG, if I am this verbose 90% of my students will quit piano. I can't sit through all of it.

I offer two counterarguments--

1) You slow down difficult sections intentionally so that all the notes and fingerings will be accounted for. You also have to account for possible wide leaps and big chords that may take extra time to prepare.

2) There are times when you do reach a physical (or mental) limit on how fast you can play a section. If that limit is reached, you simply play the entire piece at that tempo (e.g., Chopin Op. 10 No. 1). Going any faster than your physical (or mental) limitation is pure stupidity.

There are also times where you must adjust to faster and faster metronome markings. For example, a fingering that works all good and fine at a slower tempo might not work at 200. Sometimes a very outlandish fingering may have to be deployed. Also, you may have to "group" more notes into one broad movement. You discover this as you practice faster and faster.

However, these are extreme examples from very advanced music. Most of the stuff students play won't even reach what we're discussing here. If they can't physically or mentally play at 144, they need more practice!

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
He does ramble on a bit. There is some good content included. In general I dislike watching videos unless there's a visual reason, like demonstrating a physical motion. I can read a page in a minute or two, rather than spend 15 or 20 watching.

But I digress.

You don't have to worry about speed walls, you already have a mature technique. A lot of what he says wouldn't apply to you but might to a student.

If I can't play something technically, to work on it I have to simplify it. One way is to slow it way down. But that's not the only way, though beginners think it is. You can shorten it as much as you need, for example.

For example, a fingering that works all good and fine at a slower tempo might not work at 200.

Yes, that's what he claims in the video - further, that practicing too long at the slow tempo may well solidify that fingering that can never work at the fast one. At the least it's time wasted learning technique that will have to unlearned later.

gotta go practice
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
[How many of us, as students, have ended up vaguely mucking about? And did so for years?

ALL students muck things up without a teacher. The only questions are:

How bad does it get?
How long does it take?

It is absolutely invaluable to understand that you can set 6 beats for 3/4, or three beats, or one.

Or if you have 16th notes, you can set 16 beats.

All advanced students understand this. A student who does not can't use the metronome effectively.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by TimR

You don't have to worry about speed walls, you already have a mature technique.

Every player on the planet struggles with speed walls. A speed wall simply means there is something you can't play as fast as you want to play it.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

However, these are extreme examples from very advanced music. Most of the stuff students play won't even reach what we're discussing here. If they can't physically or mentally play at 144, they need more practice!

Regardless, fingering is the bedrock of technique, and there is not a student on the planet who will make the best choices without help. You cannot know what fingering will work at top speed before you are able to play top speed, but a good teacher will already be thinking ahead to that.

There is irony here. If you want to test the fingering of a Chopin Etude, you won't know for sure it is going to work until you finally get it up to tempo. That's why we have teachers. The TEACHERS should know already, from THEIR experience, what fingering we start using, at slow tempo, will work later when we can go full speed.

That's why bad teachers are a disaster, and I have a horrible teacher in high school. She told to just work things out on my own. She was the WORST...

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission