2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
62 members (David B, brendon, dhull100, Dazzie2, CraiginNZ, blueviewlaguna., clothearednincompo, 14 invisible), 543 guests, and 447 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts?
Sibylle #2803923 01/19/19 10:27 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sibylle
I can just see Boris Berezovsky in my nearest town's little "hall"

LOL. Coming from the investment banking world, when I think of Boris Berezovsky, I'm thinking of this fellow, and not him. So I started a moment when I thought you were referring to some deceased person!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2803926 01/19/19 10:32 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I can just see Boris Berezovsky in my nearest town's little "hall"

LOL. Coming from the investment banking world, when I think of Boris Berezovsky, I'm thinking of this fellow, and not him. So I started a moment when I thought you were referring to some deceased person!

Haha! I'm most definitely talking about him! 3hearts

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Hank M #2804488 01/20/19 06:50 PM
H
H
Originally Posted by Hank M
Anyone going to any good concerts/recitals in the near future?

Tonight - Peter Serkin playing the Goldberg Variations (plus two Mozart works). If I feel inspired, I'll post a report here.

For those interested, I just posted a review.

Mark_C #2806307 01/24/19 11:49 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
In Dallas, TX, the Southern Methodist University Owen School of Arts, offers the following:

January 25 – 27, Mini Residency: Dan Tepfer, Jazz Pianist/Composer
Friday, Jan 25 Noon: Chamber Music Class with Julius Quartet
Friday, Jan 25 1pm: Composition Master Class
Saturday, Jan 26 7:30pm: Recital showcasing his “Natural Machines” project
Sunday, Jan 27 2pm: Recital with Julius Quartet, Variations on Goldberg Variations
All events in O'Donnell Hall in Owen Arts Center on Southern Methodist University campus. All events FREE.

February 6, 1pm: Daria Rabotkina: Guest Piano Recital at Caruth Auditorium in Owen Arts Center on Southern Methodist University. FREE.

February 14, 7:30pm, Liudmila Georgievskaya: Valentine’s Day Piano Recital in Caruth Auditorium in the Owen Arts Center on SMU campus, FREE.

February 23, 2019 – 7:30pm: Distinguished Performer Concert Series - Alessio Bax Piano Recital: Italian Inspirations at Caruth Auditorium in Owen Arts Center on Southern Methodist University. $14 for adults, $11 for seniors, $8 for students, faculty & staff.

March 2, 2019 – 7:30pm: Thomas Schwan: Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1. Schwan plays the entire Book 1 of the WTC in Caruth Auditorium of Owen Arts Center on SMU campus, FREE.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
SiFi #2808446 01/30/19 12:49 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SiFi
SiFi: Well, don't think I didn't give it the ole college try. smile I came, tried all the doors and the place was locked up tight as a button on account of the heavy snowfall. So I went a few doors down to the La Trattoria where I had a wonderful pasta dinner, the chef made off-menu specialties just for me as the only customer, and I chatted up a voluble waitress on topics ranging from bitcoins to politics to Asians in America to piano recitals to opera. So not an evening lost. When is the the make-up day for your performance?

SiFi: Well, don't think I didn't give it the ole college try. smile I came, tried all the doors and the place was locked up tight as a button on account of the heavy snowfall. So I went a few doors down to the La Trattoria where I had a wonderful pasta dinner, the chef made off-menu specialties just for me as the only customer, and I chatted up a voluble waitress on topics ranging from bitcoins to politics to Asians in America to piano recitals to opera. So not an evening lost. When is the the make-up day for your performance?

OMG, I'm so sorry! I should have posted something about the cancellation here like I did on Facebook. Thank you Tyrone for being so wonderfully sanguine about the whole thing.

Obviously this was a huge disappointment for all of us, especially since we had a really good dress rehearsal on Saturday. The annoying thing is that FMMC doesn't postpone, they just cancel because their calendar is pretty much set in stone for the entire season. I'm brainstorming possible alternative venues--have a potentially promising one in mind. After 8 months of work, it would be awful not to be able to perform this incredible piece live in recital. I'll keep you in the loop this time. You're obviously a good bloke! So glad there was a voluble waitress on hand to assuage what must have been your considerable frustration. smile smile

So, Tyrone, FMMC in an unprecedented move has rescheduled our Brahms quintet for Feb. 3, Super Bowl Sunday. But don't worry, it's only an hour long recital and there'll be plenty of time to get back to where you need to be for the kickoff.

Same time and venue--3:00 PM at the Lyceum in Alexandria. Unfortunately the wind band were not available to perform on the new date, so I will have to fill out the program with some Brahms solo piano music.

Here's the program:

• Brahms: Two Rhapsodies, op. 79. Simon Finlow, piano.
• Brahms: Piano Quintet in F Minor, op. 34. Simon Finlow, piano; Robyn Tessin and Carolyn Esko Carlson, violins; Julia Moline, viola; Valerie Matthews, cello.

And here's the link with all the info (just ignore the picture--that's not us!): http://www.fmmc.org/event/lyceum-concert-series-22/

Would love to see you and all your friends there! I'll be the bloke playing the piano (I think it's a Boston 7 foot, or maybe bigger).

SRF
Mark_C #2808456 01/30/19 02:08 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Awww I wish I could beam myself up for that recital, I love Brahms and those Rhapsodies in particular. Would love to hear you, SiFi! I expect a full report, Tyrone Slothrop, d'ya hear me? smile And pictures and maybe even a bit of video?

Last edited by Sibylle; 01/30/19 02:08 AM.

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
SiFi #2808457 01/30/19 02:18 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
So, Tyrone, FMMC in an unprecedented move has rescheduled our Brahms quintet for Feb. 3, Super Bowl Sunday. But don't worry, it's only an hour long recital and there'll be plenty of time to get back to where you need to be for the kickoff.

Same time and venue--3:00 PM at the Lyceum in Alexandria. Unfortunately the wind band were not available to perform on the new date, so I will have to fill out the program with some Brahms solo piano music.

Here's the program:

• Brahms: Two Rhapsodies, op. 79. Simon Finlow, piano.
• Brahms: Piano Quintet in F Minor, op. 34. Simon Finlow, piano; Robyn Tessin and Carolyn Esko Carlson, violins; Julia Moline, viola; Valerie Matthews, cello.

And here's the link with all the info (just ignore the picture--that's not us!): http://www.fmmc.org/event/lyceum-concert-series-22/

Would love to see you and all your friends there! I'll be the bloke playing the piano (I think it's a Boston 7 foot, or maybe bigger).

Sounds good. I'll try to be there. Can I film some stuff for your friends back at PW?

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Sibylle #2808459 01/30/19 02:19 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Awww I wish I could beam myself up for that recital, I love Brahms and those Rhapsodies in particular. Would love to hear you, SiFi! I expect a full report, Tyrone Slothrop, d'ya hear me? smile And pictures and maybe even a bit of video?

I would love it if someone could do video! We'll probably have a professional quality audio recording, at least for the quintet. I don't think any of the string players are union members, so feel free to record at will.

SRF
Tyrone Slothrop #2808460 01/30/19 02:21 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sounds good. I'll try to be there. Can I film some stuff for your friends back at PW?

No objections at all to the recording. Hope to see you there. Bring friends!!

SRF
Sibylle #2808482 01/30/19 04:07 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
expect a full report, Tyrone Slothrop, d'ya hear me? smile And pictures and maybe even a bit of video?

Yeah yeah. Will bring my tripod w/ me and record a video. smile

[Linked Image]

Tyrone Slothrop #2808520 01/30/19 07:25 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
expect a full report, Tyrone Slothrop, d'ya hear me? smile And pictures and maybe even a bit of video?

Yeah yeah. Will bring my tripod w/ me and record a video. smile

I too, am looking forward to watching the video!

[Linked Image]
Mark_C #2808532 01/30/19 07:45 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For those in Northeast Ohio, Garrick Ohlsson will be performing Busoni's Piano Concerto with the Cleveland Orchestra under the direction of Alan Gilbert February 7-9 at Severance Hall. I saw Ohlsson play the Busoni back around 1990 and, well, I still have to pick up my jaw from the floor when hearing the recording.

Hank

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
Mark_C #2809220 01/31/19 11:05 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
In case anyone is interested, in the Washington DC area, there will be a program called "Extreme Chopin" at the Strathmore in Bethesda, Maryland on Saturday (2/2) evening at 8pm. The Washington Post has a review here of the pianist and the program.

[Linked Image]

Mark_C #2809226 01/31/19 11:25 PM
Mark_C Online Content OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
In case anyone is interested, in the Washington DC area, there will be a program called "Extreme Chopin" at the Strathmore in Bethesda, Maryland on Saturday (2/2) evening at 8pm. The Washington Post has a review here of the pianist and the program.

Interesting, especially about that mazurka for unaccompanied singer.

But, it this thing in there means what it seems to mean:

"As far as we know, Brian’s the first pianist to attempt this,” says National Philharmonic music director Piotr Gajewski, who pitched the idea to Ganz in 2009.

.....it's wrong, at least sort of wrong.

Alexander Brailowsky pretty famously did a series of concerts, I think in the 1920's, of Chopin's complete works, which of course would have been only the works known at that time to exist. I think that series was put forth as the first time this was being done.
I'd be surprised if others since then haven't done it too.

Sibylle #2809841 02/02/19 12:55 PM
A
A
Trying to arrange to go to Zurich next Sunday to see Beatrice Rana play Beethoven's third concerto (anyone?:)).

And at the same time, people in America don't realise that "Europeans" are actually people from lots of different countries and it's not always that easy to get to places either smile

I agree:( I moved here (southwest Germany) a few months ago, to a music school in a tiny town that you need to zoom in hard on the map to find, and the connections from and to this place are usually difficult and end up being long and expensive for a student- definitely not something you can do regularly if you don't have a car. When I was in the US for two years I had it so much better, all in one city (Cincinnati), which had so much to offer I didn't then realize how lucky I was- I saw Grimaud, Lupu, Uchida, Mutter, Tetzlaff, Shaham, Fliter, Tokyo Quartet, Pavo Jaarvi, Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos, Mahler symphonies, Verdi and Britten requiems, and so much more. Here I am much more concert-deprived and still can't make peace with the fact that I've managed to see just one outside of school in the last four months (Ebene Quartet in Beethoven and Brahms). But winter break is coming up and I will be arranging all my travels around concerts- I can't wait! (Bachtrack.com is a website I use often- you can search by city, by performer, or by piece).

"Love has to be the starting point- love of music. It is one of my firmest convictions that love always produces some knowledge, while knowledge only rarely produces something similar to love."
Arthur Schnabel

Mark_C #2809958 02/02/19 06:06 PM
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Last edited by cmb13; 02/02/19 06:08 PM.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
cmb13 #2810235 02/03/19 01:31 PM
H
H

I've never heard of Rondeau, but his performance promises to be hair-raising.

Hank M #2810260 02/03/19 03:09 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hank M

I've never heard of Rondeau, but his performance promises to be hair-raising.

whome

[Linked Image]
Mark_C #2810284 02/03/19 04:15 PM
I’ve just booked tickets to see comedian turned pianist Alistair McGowan in Leeds in April.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/alistair-mcgowan-introductions-to-classical-piano-tickets-55627832344

It promises to be an entertaining evening and a useful insight as to what can be achieved by a late starter who now has an album and piano tour to his name.

Last edited by leemeadowcroft; 02/03/19 04:16 PM.
SiFi #2810818 02/05/19 12:04 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

And this wonderful performance has now been posted over here!

[Linked Image]

Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
VI labs Black Friday deals
by newer player - 11/26/20 06:20 PM
Brahms suggestions
by Moo :) - 11/26/20 06:17 PM
Why isn’t there a bulletproof DP yet?
by AndyE - 11/26/20 05:31 PM
Why isn't there a waterproof DP yet?
by JoBert - 11/26/20 05:00 PM
Best Service Galaxy & Ivory sales
by newer player - 11/26/20 03:25 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,065
Posts3,027,495
Members99,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission