Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
56 registered members (begin ẻ, CyberGene, Chopin Acolyte, Animisha, cfrederi, ChiralSpiral, BigIslandGuy, astrotoy, Anticlock, 15 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Johan B] #2799000
01/06/19 07:31 AM
01/06/19 07:31 AM
Russia
B
Balezin Dmitry Offline
Balezin Dmitry  Offline
B

Russia
Well, as I am self-taught, my goals might be a little different.
1 ) Take part in all piano recitals here at WP
2) Finish learning Bohemian Rhapsody by February 14 (my birthday) and present it for February piano recital
3) Sign up for some online piano course (learn to play pop songs with chords and so on)
4) Learn at least 5 pieces. (Einaudi - Andare, "Por una Cobeza" - tango, He's a pirate....)
5) Practice at least 1 hour a day....(I have a 5 year plan...which I've been able to follow with 430 hours last year...yeah, I take notes:-)
6) Make "live shows" for my family members and let's hope one real life recital...or I could just play in park at free-piano:-)

I just can't live without some music in my life
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Johan B] #2799132
01/06/19 03:23 PM
01/06/19 03:23 PM
Colonia, NJ US
J
JimB1 Offline
JimB1  Offline
J

Colonia, NJ US
Well, just started lessons on piano so... learning to play piano smile

Seriously though, here are my musical goals for 2019 so far...
1) Learn to sight read, even if only simple things. Right now I am a poor music reader. I can read in a slow and halting kind of way and only in Treble clef since that's pretty much all that I needed for flute but can't read and play at the same time so I need to work on being able to do that. Along with it learning the Bass clef as part of the Grand Staff and to start using standard notation for guitar. Right now I use TAB for everything on guitar.

2) Basic Music theory, I need to fill in a lot of gaps. Generally self taught on music theory and I have picked up a decent amount but am missing a lot and in some cases don't fully understand what I know.

3) Learn to play piano. Yeah I started with that but in my head it's actually behind the other two, or maybe in parallel is a better way to put it.

4) Increase proficiency in playing Piano, Guitar and Flute - this is going to be the fun part. Porting the theory I learn with the piano to flute and guitar so I have understanding though all three instruments. Guitar is probably going to be the painful one because I need to break that one down the most to understand what I am doing instinctively and make it with purpose instead of instinctive. Then make it without thought again so it's still musical. Sounds like fun huh? smile

5) Maintain a normal practice schedule. Simple right?

We'll see how things are by March and revisit the list LOL
-Jim

Just getting started 2019!
Yamaha P125
Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Johan B] #2799215
01/06/19 08:32 PM
01/06/19 08:32 PM
Madison
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
HollyBytheLake  Offline
H

Madison
I'm an adult return-to-beginning player with only 2 paltry childhood years taking completely uninspiring lessons behind me. However, I took 6 years of flute that went year round so musicality-wise I'm ahead of the curve. Dabbled 6 months here or there in the intervening 40 years, but never got anywhere until July 2018 when I found pianoTV. You know your teaching match when you find it. Went from Prep A under her to playing intro to Fur Elise, L. Mozart's Bourree in E Minor, and a pop song, Rainbow Connection that's at level one in about 6 months (along with 20 other songs I wouldn't be ashamed to play for company, but did not memorize.)

So for 2019:
1) Stick with the plan. (I have a horrible tendency to start one plan then veer off in another direction, always starting over so never advancing beyond where I was in plan, 1 or plan 2 or plan 3...

2) Practice minimum of 5 hours a week. I usually shoot for 10-15, but need to fix the "dropped" weeks where I get only 1 or 2 hours.

3) Complete my 40 piece challenge
14 pieces from pianoTV Level 1 (the hard stuff, frequently above Lev. 1)
3 pieces from RCM Repertoire 1
6 pieces from Connections Lev. 1
6 pieces from Faber 3B
6 pieces from Very Easy Little Peppers
5 pieces from "easiest" list in Piano Essentials, Vol 1 (Alfred)

4) For Technique
16 RCM Lev. 1 Etudes
15 pieces from Mikrokosmos 1 (#22-36)
9 from Czerny (#11-19)
11 Scales as listed in RCM 1 Technique

5) Continue working ear training and theory practice. (Especially want to be able to identify intervals by ear this year)

6) Should the Technique list get done when I suspect it will at the 8 month mark, use the time in the remaining four months to explore Keith Snell Essential Repertoire Level 1 not covered in my other sources.

7) Memorize at least 7 of my forty pieces to get my "repertoire list" to 10 pieces.

8) Make it through all of the above and mark off "Level 1" as done!

As an aside I've taken some grief for being so OCD with my plans at my "level". The implication being that until one is intermediate or above, there's no need to take it so seriously. Beg to differ, what you're going to do, do with your whole heart.

but think how good I could be in five years...
Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Johan B] #2799336
01/07/19 11:14 AM
01/07/19 11:14 AM
B
barbaram Offline

1000 Post Club Member
barbaram  Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B

I had a not-great 2018, piano-wise, so I will keep it simple:

1) Enjoy and have fun
2) Participate in MOYD - play every day I can, even if I can only manage a short time
3) Play lots of pieces
4) Follow my teacher's guidance

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Johan B] #2799481
01/07/19 07:05 PM
01/07/19 07:05 PM
The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member

Hi there,

More pianolovers who want to tell what to do in 2019?

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'
Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Johan B] #2799714
01/08/19 11:33 AM
01/08/19 11:33 AM
B
Bobby Badd Offline
Bobby Badd  Offline
B

In 2019 I will try to

Play with more dynamics and emotion
Again, Continue work on sight-reading by doing the 40 piece challenge
Continue to work on timing using Hal, my onboard metronome and drummer
Continue to maintain song list of ready to play songs
Less pressure- more fun

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Johan B] #2799737
01/08/19 01:09 PM
01/08/19 01:09 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Offline
500 Post Club Member
David B  Offline
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
Put in at least 500 hours of practice and make it to lesson 46 in the Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course. I'm currently on lesson 34.

God bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 01/08/19 01:09 PM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-38 Completed
Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Johan B] #2799754
01/08/19 01:50 PM
01/08/19 01:50 PM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY
I originally posted this incorrectly for last year blush, but this is what I hope to work on for 2019:

1. SLOW DOWN when I play.

2. Focus on reading the music, rather than memorizing the piece right away.

3. Play and listen to more classical music.

4. Record myself more.

5. Spend less time on FB; more time on Pianoworld smile

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Johan B] #2799773
01/08/19 02:43 PM
01/08/19 02:43 PM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline
CadenzaVvi  Offline

Quebec city, QC
Nice objectives in here!

Ok, so, considering my lack of motivation of the past months, I think I shouldn't be over-ambitious. So:

- Getting back the piano in my daily routine. Play at least 4-days a week (my past regime was playing piano during the week, 2-3 hours every evening, then keeping my week-ends for other stuff).
- Make useful usage of my practice time, so more practically, set clear goals of what I want to practice when I get to the piano and focus on smaller chunks, so I still progress even though I practice only 10 minutes.
- Doing some ear training or sight singing exercices at least once a week, ideally twice or 3 times
- Continue reading through the theory book my teacher lend me once in a while... let's say a chapter every 2-weeks.

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Mozart, K545, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
- Pozzoli, E.R. 427, etude no. 6
Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: pathguy] #2800050
01/09/19 10:31 AM
01/09/19 10:31 AM
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by pathguy
I originally posted this incorrectly for last year blush, but this is what I hope to work on for 2019:

1. SLOW DOWN when I play.m

2. Focus on reading the music, rather than memorizing the piece right away.

3. Play and listen to more classical music.

4. Record myself more.

5. Spend less time on FB; more time on Pianoworld smile

Pathguy, yes.....SLOW DOWN.....also my problem...... grin grin

Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'
Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Johan B] #2800300
01/09/19 09:10 PM
01/09/19 09:10 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline
Qwerty53  Offline

Salish Sea
Lately I have had some very good practice days that remind me how much progress I could be making (duh!) if I had more good practice days every week. So, for 2019, my primary goal is to:

— get my days and weeks better organized so that practice comes first, consistently, (almost) every day.

And to:

— return to a more consistent practice, starting with the warmups, stretches, scales, and arpeggios recommended by my teacher.

— play a tenth comfortably! I’m at about nine-and-a-half. smirk

— record and listen to myself every week, to work on developing legato, dynamics, pedaling, and all those other elements that could contribute to expressive playing.

Getting the notes in the right order is just a start!

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Johan B] #2802411
01/15/19 08:03 PM
01/15/19 08:03 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Lexington, Kentucky
Pretty sure I didn't meet my goals last year, so I am waffling between doubling down vs. lowering expectations. Think I'll go with lowering expectations. laugh

1.) Work up at least 12 new pieces to performance level that I can record and use for recitals and my annual compilation CD.

2.) Learn another couple of classical pieces (Satie and something Satie-like), on request of my elderly father and one of my biggest fans. grin

3.) Refresh and expand my memorized repertoire. I used to have 12 pieces well memorized and ready to play at the drop of a hat on the highly unlikely chance that somebody might ask me to sit down and play the piano an hour for them. Realized to my dismay recently that I had let several of them lapse from memory because I had forgotten to play them regularly.

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Monica K.] #2803884
01/19/19 09:57 AM
01/19/19 09:57 AM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Originally Posted by Monica K.

Refresh and expand my memorized repertoire. I used to have 12 pieces well memorized and ready to play at the drop of a hat on the highly unlikely chance that somebody might ask me to sit down and play the piano an hour for them. Realized to my dismay recently that I had let several of them lapse from memory because I had forgotten to play them regularly.

Same here! It's an ongoing battle with a memory-box full of holes! I couldn't even, to my horror, play my own compos! There's a dozen of them, and more. Plus the shorter manageable classical pieces which, too, I had forgotten. Nor does it easily come back.
Much work ahead.

But i did achieve one thing. I've written my compositions down in sheet music notation form, easily readable, and am publishing in book form on Amazon Kindle. That, like playing the piano, is equal measures of fun and frustration.

We love it really . . .

Last edited by peterws; 01/19/19 10:01 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Johan B] #2804279
01/20/19 08:00 AM
01/20/19 08:00 AM
R
RosemaryGirl Offline
RosemaryGirl  Offline
R

I guess it's a good idea to have some objectives in mind for the year ahead, without stressing out too much over them…

My main goal is to actually stick to playing the piano, which will mean buying my very own piano at the end of March, when I can no longer use the one I am being lent.

Shorter-term goals are to refresh my knowledge of music theory with "Introduction to Classical Music" and "Fundamentals of Music Theory" on Coursera, and to settle into a good routine with my new teacher. I'm excited!

Then, I guess I will try and practise most days of the week, if even for a short time, and enjoy the process without undue worry!

Hopefully, at the end of the year, I can review these goals and be satisfied, and if I've progressed in ear training, that will be an appreciable bonus! I will try and play for others as well, probably just family, or perhaps send in a piece or two to be included in PW recitals, even though I am a very green beginner. That's it!

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Johan B] #2804331
01/20/19 12:12 PM
01/20/19 12:12 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

5000 Post Club Member

I've kept looking at this thread since Johan B put it up on New Years Day, and I kept feeling unready to put up any goals. "My goals haven't gelled yet," I'd say. Every day that has gone by, I'd look at this thread but I would still not have goals. Thinking about why this is, I realize it is at least partly because the thing that brought me to piano was so unpremeditated and haphazard. I have only one goal and that is to eventually play my goal piece.

But subdividing that goal into subgoals which are year-delimited, and then subdividing the year 2019 subgoal into sub-subgoals, I guess I can lay out the year 2019 sub-subgoals, and I just need to bite the bullet or else it is just not happening.

Here are my sub-subgoals for piano for 2019:

Of these, I am already working on all except the 40 piece a year club, Reddit Piano Jam, technical exercises, exam prep, and the Discord practice room, all of which I haven't started yet.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2804337
01/20/19 12:29 PM
01/20/19 12:29 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I've kept looking at this thread since Johan B put it up on New Years Day, and I kept feeling unready to put up any goals. "My goals haven't gelled yet," I'd say. Every day that has gone by, I'd look at this thread but I would still not have goals. Thinking about why this is, I realize it is at least partly because the thing that brought me to piano was so unpremeditated and haphazard. I have only one goal and that is to eventually play my goal piece.

But subdividing that goal into subgoals which are year-delimited, and then subdividing the year 2019 subgoal into sub-subgoals, I guess I can lay out the year 2019 sub-subgoals, and I just need to bite the bullet or else it is just not happening.

Here are my sub-subgoals for piano for 2019:

Of these, I am already working on all except the 40 piece a year club, Reddit Piano Jam, technical exercises, exam prep, and the Discord practice room, all of which I haven't started yet.

Ambitious! Go for themthumb

[Linked Image]
Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Johan B] #2804383
01/20/19 02:28 PM
01/20/19 02:28 PM
J
John305 Offline
John305  Offline
J

My wife is the list maker in our house, I’m more of a fly by the seat of your pants kind of guy. Having said that, I’ll force myself to create a list of goals for 2019. Here goes:

1) Get better at playing the piano.

Wow, that was uncomfortable, I guess I’ll leave the list making to my better half. Thank god opposites attract.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: John305] #2804385
01/20/19 02:31 PM
01/20/19 02:31 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by John305
My wife is the list maker in our house, I’m more of a fly by the seat of your pants kind of guy. Having said that, I’ll force myself to create a list of goals for 2019. Here goes:

1) Get better at playing the piano.

Wow, that was uncomfortable, I guess I’ll leave the list making to my better half. Thank god opposites attract.

Haha! Great list! Not going to be much of a stretch goal for you though, is it? wink As you can probably guess from my post above, in my family, the roles are quite reversed! grin

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Johan B] #2804529
01/20/19 10:23 PM
01/20/19 10:23 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Double Haha for both of you John 305 and Tyrone Slothrop!

I already forgot what I wrote here for a goal so I just went back and checked. All is well, because I have already started taking better notes in lessons!

Learner
Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 [Re: Johan B] #2804606
01/21/19 07:52 AM
01/21/19 07:52 AM
Denmark
Q
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline
QuasiUnaFantasia  Offline
Q

Denmark
It's rare for me to quantify goals explicitly, but I'll do so now:

• Memorize, and be able to comfortably play, 600 measures of classical music at Henle level 4 or above.
  • Listen to each of Beethovens sonatas 1-15, and each of Chopins preludes, while following in the score, four times.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28, Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Caramoor Festival - Messaien
by LXXXVIIIdentes. 07/16/19 01:07 AM
Verituner for Android
by Vlad Ants. 07/15/19 10:24 PM
Bass string recommendation for Steinway A?
by l8style. 07/15/19 05:38 PM
<7k Upright piano, advice please
by JoanneD. 07/15/19 05:16 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,026
Posts2,848,856
Members93,893
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission