2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Sibylle Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
As some of you know, I'm re-building a lost sheet music collection from scratch. Since I'm not terribly rich, this happens in increments of a few books a month, depending on how much money I have to spare (I'm a budget fiend).

My favourite store is in Germany and happily delivers to Ireland. I've an account in their online shop, complete with "wish list" where I collect music to be bought as and when I get to it. As you can imagine, that's quite a collection. One of my favourite pasttimes these days is window(s) shopping and planning what I'll buy next month.

Looking over my list today, I had to laugh: It reflects exactly what mood I was in on a particular day when adding further items - ranking from "let's be sensible and order what I'll realistically be able to play over the next months" (Grieg's Lyric Pieces, earlier Mozart sonatas etc) to "I'm feeling nostalgic today" (stuff I used to play like the Chopin polonaises or nocturnes) to "pure wishful thinking" (Liszt's Transcendental Etudes, Rachmaninov's Moments Musicaux). If I ever catch myself adding Islamey or Gaspard de la Nuit to the list, I'll know I need help.

It's probably just as well that I don't have that much ready money, or I'd buy a lot of stuff I'll later regret! Although, it's a nice thing having the music, if only to "read along" when I listen to a CD.

A
A
Just a question... why don't you just download sheet music from the various sites? Classical music is public domain so you probably will find every classical piece as PDF and then you just print it out.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Chopin - Waltz in A minor
Sibylle Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Artur Gajewski
Just a question... why don't you just download sheet music from the various sites? Classical music is public domain so you probably will find every classical piece as PDF and then you just print it out.

I know, and a lot is available second-hand too! The thing is, it was gut-wrenching to lose the sheet music I had and I'm trying to get the exact editions I used to have - might be silly, but that makes me feel a little better smile And I'm in no hurry, after all I can't play it all (at least not now, with my hands in a state) at once, so I'm spreading this out and buying a little every month.

A
A
I know how it feels, just purchased Chopin Waltzes by Henle just to have it on my piano laugh

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Chopin - Waltz in A minor
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sibylle

I know, and a lot is available second-hand too! The thing is, it was gut-wrenching to lose the sheet music I had and I'm trying to get the exact editions I used to have - might be silly, but that makes me feel a little better smile And I'm in no hurry, after all I can't play it all (at least not now, with my hands in a state) at once, so I'm spreading this out and buying a little every month.

I feel the same way about music and books, having lost many of mine too in a move. Like you, I just start slowly buying the exact editions that I had treasured.

[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Many years ago I bought a number of music books second-hand at one of those 'antique fairs' and now they starting to fall apart. I'll certainly replace 2 of them (John Field Nocturnes and a selection of Dvorak pieces including humoresques) and would prefer the get the same editions again as well. I'm sure there are others out there, but I think it's a kind of sentimental attachment.

regards
Pete
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

I personally can’t stand piles of unbound paper. It’s hard to keep organized and it makes it difficult to find what your looking for, also, I find loose paper doesn’t want to stand up on its own on the music desk. And maybe most importantly, I just love books.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John305

I personally can’t stand piles of unbound paper. It’s hard to keep organized and it makes it difficult to find what your looking for, also, I find loose paper doesn’t want to stand up on its own on the music desk. And maybe most importantly, I just love books.

I believe cmb13 has been solving this by binding his own sheet music books.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Sibylle Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I used to have them in binders (folders), and I'm not ruling this out altogether - I also have an iPad and play some stuff from there. But I do want to replace at least part of my own collection of sheet music books eventually, so - they're not mutually exclusive.

I just mentioned buying new sheet music because that's where the wish list and my modest/nostalgic/megalomaniac moods show so beautifully (or alarmingly, depending on your viewpoint grin ).

Last edited by Sibylle; 01/18/19 01:57 PM.

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I think there is simply a gulf of (non)understanding between those who like to print off sheets from the internet, and those who treasure nice editions.

ETA: I print out sheets I’ve edited for myself, and worksheets I intended to write on. And I will play from the iPad. But I loathe messy stacks of crumpled paper.

Last edited by tangleweeds; 01/18/19 03:14 PM.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
Originally Posted by tangleweeds
I think there is simply a gulf of (non)understanding between those who like to print off sheets from the internet, and those who treasure nice editions.

I do both. For music that I'm not overly serious about, I'll just print it out and then comb bind it. (I have an inexpensive comb binding machine and I love it!)

But for music that I truly care deeply about (such as Bach's WTC and Beethoven's Sonatas) I spend some money and get a nice, durable edition.

Austin Rogers, PhD, ARSM
Music Teacher in Cedar Park, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko"

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers
For music that I'm not overly serious about, I'll just print it out and then comb bind it. (I have an inexpensive comb binding machine and I love it!).

Now that I could get behind. It’s shuffling through stacks and crumpled sheets I hate.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
For me, this just doesn't cut it (though it would be better than not having the scores at all). As others have mentioned, those PDF printouts won't stand up on the music stand, at least without some support system, you have to bind them, etc. You could use nice, heavy bond paper and good binding, but then you might as well buy a printed copy. Also, sometimes the printed versions available on IMSLP aren't the easiest to read.

......Looking over my list today, I had to laugh: It reflects exactly what mood I was in on a particular day when adding further items - ranking from "let's be sensible and order what I'll realistically be able to play over the next months" (Grieg's Lyric Pieces, earlier Mozart sonatas etc) to "I'm feeling nostalgic today" (stuff I used to play like the Chopin polonaises or nocturnes) to "pure wishful thinking" (Liszt's Transcendental Etudes, Rachmaninov's Moments Musicaux). If I ever catch myself adding Islamey or Gaspard de la Nuit to the list, I'll know I need help.........
I have WLS* as well. Some days I look at my wish list and say, what the heck was I thinking. Other days I say to myself, what am I waiting for and pull the trigger on the purchase. Hey, all that money I save by not buying coffees at the coffee shop pays for it, right?

*Wish List Syndrome

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
You could use nice, heavy bond paper

Heavyweight inkjet paper (I have an inkjet) does stand up nicely on the music stand. I use it for Irish traditional music where I’ve transcribed variations and ornamentation.

Also, sometimes the printed versions available on IMSLP aren't the easiest to read.
^^^this ^^^this ^^^this

......Looking over my list today, I had to laugh: It reflects exactly what mood I was in on a particular day when adding further items - ranking from "let's be sensible and order what I'll realistically be able to play over the next months" (Grieg's Lyric Pieces, earlier Mozart sonatas etc) to "I'm feeling nostalgic today" (stuff I used to play like the Chopin polonaises or nocturnes) to "pure wishful thinking" (Liszt's Transcendental Etudes, Rachmaninov's Moments Musicaux). If I ever catch myself adding Islamey or Gaspard de la Nuit to the list, I'll know I need help.........
I have WLS* as well. Some days I look at my wish list and say, what the heck was I thinking. Other days I say to myself, what am I waiting for and pull the trigger on the purchase. Hey, all that money I save by not buying coffees at the coffee shop pays for it, right?

I do a lot of wish list shopping too. But whenever I end up with extra money for the month, straight to the wishlist I go. It’s surprisingly easy to fishing out the stuff I really want.

Last edited by tangleweeds; 01/18/19 03:31 PM.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I don't begrudge the money spent on nice scores - after all (like dogs) they're for life, not just for Christmas. (For our friends outside the UK, that's a commercial shown on British TV every Christmas to dissuade people from unthinkingly buying a puppy as a Christmas present for a kid........).

Unlike trashy novels: whenever I'm in a hotel or a holiday resort, I always pick a few up from other tourists who've finished with them. I never have to buy my own pulp fiction to while away the hours at the poolside grin.

With a new sheet music score, you can always just (sight-)read through it, decide it's too easy/hard/boring, then keep it until you're more mature/virtuosic/decrepit and then profitably dig it out and......read through it again. Maybe even learn and perform it for admiring audiences all over the world...... wink

I have volumes of music I don't particularly like (like the complete Haydn sonatas), but I can always use them for sight-reading fodder, if I'm really bored smirk .

If music be the food of love, play on!
For me, this just doesn't cut it (though it would be better than not having the scores at all). As others have mentioned, those PDF printouts won't stand up on the music stand, at least without some support system, you have to bind them, etc. You could use nice, heavy bond paper and good binding, but then you might as well buy a printed copy.
I think most people just put printed sheets in 3 ring binders. Extremely simple. No especially heavy paper or fancy binding necessary. There's also a lot of free music on the internet that's out of print and not available any other way.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
For me, this just doesn't cut it (though it would be better than not having the scores at all). As others have mentioned, those PDF printouts won't stand up on the music stand, at least without some support system, you have to bind them, etc. You could use nice, heavy bond paper and good binding, but then you might as well buy a printed copy.
I think most people just put printed sheets in 3 ring binders. Extremely simple. No especially heavy paper or fancy binding necessary. There's also a lot of free music on the internet that's out of print and not available any other way.
I've used 3-ring binders with printed pdfs and I find that that the sheets don't lie flat due to the 3-ring binder. I write on my scores and I dislike having to worry about poking my pencil through the paper or with erasing. If you have an inch or so of printouts, then it's less of a problem except for the front and back of the binder. There are also occasional problems with punching out a note here and there, depending on what kind of margins the printout has.

Certainly for the odd piece here and there (including the out-of-print stuff), printouts do the trick.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
FWIW I use heavy paper, not white (more like Ivory or some form of gray), and I use a coil binding system. I don't have a coil binding machine - for about $5, Office Depot will hole punch up to 500 pages. I took a ream of good paper, had them coil bind punch it, and periodically print and add what I printed to my binder.

I even scan and print from my Henles for this purpose. I have a "repertoire" binder filled with all the stuff I want to learn. Some other music that I don't care about, for instance what I use for sheet reading practice, I just put into a 3 ring binder with cheap paper.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
I've used 3-ring binders with printed pdfs and I find that that the sheets don't lie flat due to the 3-ring binder. I write on my scores and I dislike having to worry about poking my pencil through the paper or with erasing. If you have an inch or so of printouts, then it's less of a problem except for the front and back of the binder. There are also occasional problems with punching out a note here and there, depending on what kind of margins the printout has.

Certainly for the odd piece here and there (including the out-of-print stuff), printouts do the trick.
I have at least 70 three-ring binders of music and have never had any problem with pages lying flat, poking pencils, or erasing.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission