Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
133 registered members (awesome10, Animisha, anotherscott, AdagioLearner, Benjamin1, Arty Movie, Akaitsuki, Abdol, 30 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: cmb13] #2802267
01/15/19 01:22 PM
01/15/19 01:22 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

Originally Posted by cmb13
You read a book per day? And play piano and visit multiple forums?? How do you possibly have so much time?

Well, I read very quickly. I haven't measured myself recently, but I used to be around 1600wpm. One of the things that I think children are best able to learn, besides losing one's foreign accent wink is learning to read more quickly. I entirely blame my current reading speed on a box of SRA cards my teacher had for which we would get little rewards, including gold stars and stickers if we could reach ever higher colors (does anyone else educated in the US in the 70's remember these things? - each card had on the front a passage of a certain reading difficulty and on the back a list of reading comprehension question. You had to read the front side given the time limit and try to answer the back side - 80% correct on back would get us a gold star sticker on the wall chart next to our name and a few such would progress us to the next color up in the box):
[Linked Image]
and also a rivalry between myself and a classmate named David to each be higher than the other in the color of our cards. Due to the rivalry, we both finished the entire box by the end of the year - which today I know was a reading speed around 1000 wpm or so. That and a few more incidents where I had to force myself to read fast (one was that our public library didn't allow children back then to check out books from the "adult" section, so one had to read the entire book in one sitting "racing the clock" against when dad would come and get me from the library wink ).

Don't think all this speeding reading is put to good use with piano books or weighty works of literature, though! Most of my reading consumption is taken up with sci-fi/fantasy cruft and other pulp wink Alas... whome

Retired?

I wish! LOL laugh But maybe if I ever accomplish a decent performance of my goal piece, I will retire in celebration! grin

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: cmb13] #2802274
01/15/19 01:39 PM
01/15/19 01:39 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline OP
Silver Level

Florida
1600 WPM????? That's about 27 wps. Incredible. And comprehend it all? What a gift. I never learned to speed read; seems like a nice skill to have.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: cmb13] #2802276
01/15/19 01:45 PM
01/15/19 01:45 PM
J
John305 Offline
John305  Offline
J

Being able to read that fast sounds cool but then again I wouldn’t want to blaze through a good book in a couple of hours, I like to savor a good read.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: cmb13] #2802279
01/15/19 01:49 PM
01/15/19 01:49 PM

1600 WPM????? That's about 27 wps. Incredible. And comprehend it all? What a gift. I never learned to speed read; seems like a nice skill to have.

Well, as I said, that was a while back when I last tested (probably close to 20 yrs ago) and it was sort of under ideal circumstances with material that is not that meaty (for example, most SAT, GRE, etc. reading passages are meaty), and probably achieved a comprehension of 80%. However, personally, I think reading w/ under a 90+% comprehension is a loss, so I usually read slower. If I were to guess, my typical reading speed for even non-meaty material (say a scifi/fantasy novel not written by Gene Wolfe wink ) is down around 1200, and lower for meaty. I find the difference between 1200 and 1600 to be pretty steep and it goes vertical entirely above 1600 smile. I don't believe speed reading for adults exists. It's sort of BS once you are over 15-16 yo. There are some tricks, and I don't think they can be learned and made automatic as an adult. For example, I read most of a line at one time since shifting your focus and refocusing takes time. I do this automatically now. If for some strange reason, I had to relearn to refocus constantly, I don't think I could retrain myself at my age - I might be able to do it for a bit refocusing multiple times on a line, but the moment I'd forget, I'd go right back to focusing only once or twice on a given line, depending on its length. I seriously doubt a refocuser could similarly learn to not refocus. Those are the things which kids have a huge advantage over adults. Someone should come up with a manual of things for kids to learn which will be a heck of a lot harder when they are adults. Reading should go on that list. (And of course piano! grin )

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: cmb13] #2802660
01/16/19 11:27 AM
01/16/19 11:27 AM
Portland, OR
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
tangleweeds  Offline

Portland, OR
We had SRA and I would have loved them, but our teacher only let us do one per day, which kind of defeated the purpose.

Last summer when I was so ill, I appear to have had a small stroke as a result of a severe allergic reaction to MRI dye (we can’t confirm that, as we now know I’m violently allergic to MRI dye). Afterward lost my ability to read; even trying to speak complex ideas gave me small seizures..

Thanks to brain plasticity I’ve almost completely recovered, but for months afterward, reading was very difficult and not enjoyable, torturous for a confirmed bibliophile like myself. But last month I randomly ran across a good deal on speed reading software, which has helped me regain not only my ability to read, but subsequently a lot of my reading speed as well.

Just offered as anecdotal evidence that adults still have brain plasticity around reading.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: tangleweeds] #2802681
01/16/19 12:12 PM
01/16/19 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by tangleweeds
We had SRA and I would have loved them, but our teacher only let us do one per day, which kind of defeated the purpose.

Yeah that sort of sucks. I loved those SRA things. But back in the 70's, no such thing as Internet so I couldn't have gotten my parents to go on Amazon.com and buy more of this stuff.

My teacher was very progressive for her time. I don't know if she was following the SRA instructions or just made things up on the fly, but she let us do more then one as long as we got all the reading comprehension questions on the back of the card correct. If we got one wrong, we had to stop. If we made had too few answers right (maybe it was more than one time, can't remember), we were sent back to the previous level/color. If we did well on a few cards, we got to go to the next level. That combined with the gold start stickers on the wall chart with our names was 70's-era gamification! grin

Last summer when I was so ill, I appear to have had a small stroke as a result of a severe allergic reaction to MRI dye (we can’t confirm that, as we now know I’m violently allergic to MRI dye). Afterward lost my ability to read; even trying to speak complex ideas gave me small seizures..

Thanks to brain plasticity I’ve almost completely recovered, but for months afterward, reading was very difficult and not enjoyable, torturous for a confirmed bibliophile like myself. But last month I randomly ran across a good deal on speed reading software, which has helped me regain not only my ability to read, but subsequently a lot of my reading speed as well.

Just offered as anecdotal evidence that adults still have brain plasticity around reading.

Wow! That is a very encouraging story and I am glad to hear you are doing much better now. And now you need to avoid all dyed items as if it were peanut butter (re: people w/ peanut allergies)!

I just didn't think there was that much plasticity to learn things that require your body to respond automatically and it is good to hear I am mistaken.

Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: cmb13] #2802683
01/16/19 12:14 PM
01/16/19 12:14 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Midwest USA
We had SRA when I was in school. The last name of the teacher for the class was Sogge, so we called it Sogge's Reading Academy. That's about as much as I remember of it. laugh

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: tangleweeds] #2802713
01/16/19 01:55 PM
01/16/19 01:55 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline OP
Silver Level

Florida

That's really amazing to hear about your recovery. I'll bet to some degree a reduction in swelling at the site of the injury accounted for your recovery, as much as plasticity. Just a conjecture.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: cmb13] #2803093
01/17/19 12:07 PM
01/17/19 12:07 PM
Northern VA, U.S.
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013
ClsscLib  Offline

Northern VA, U.S.
We had an early version of SRA in my parochial school fifth grade class, way back around 1963-4. I hadn't thought about it until these references, but it was the first thing that really made learning fun for me.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins
Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: cmb13] #2803239
01/17/19 06:25 PM
01/17/19 06:25 PM
Upstate SC
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
dobro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Upstate SC
I just finished Great Pianists On Piano Playing which is about 100 yrs old and im in the middle of the Chang fundamentals book. Interesting reads.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: cmb13] #2803261
01/17/19 07:34 PM
01/17/19 07:34 PM
D
dumka1 Offline
dumka1  Offline
D

I enjoyed this one quite a bit:

Moscow Nights:
The Van Cliburn Story-How One Man and His Piano Transformed the Cold War

by Nigel Cliff

Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: dobro] #2803280
01/17/19 08:13 PM
01/17/19 08:13 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by monkeeys
I just finished Great Pianists On Piano Playing which is about 100 yrs old and im in the middle of the Chang fundamentals book. Interesting reads.

I have the Great Pianists on Piano Playing and really enjoyed it!

[Linked Image]
Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: chopin_r_us] #2803321
01/17/19 10:44 PM
01/17/19 10:44 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline OP
Silver Level

Florida
Full list updated with titles in Italics 1/17/19

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: cmb13] #2803324
01/17/19 10:57 PM
01/17/19 10:57 PM

Wow. Magic. How are you able to update a post from more than 10 mins ago?

Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: cmb13] #2803336
01/18/19 12:44 AM
01/18/19 12:44 AM
K
K300 Offline
K300  Offline
K

I didn't see Men, Women, and Pianos: a social history.

It's a big book, but Loesser's writing (for a history) is quirky and fun. https://www.amazon.com/Men-Women-Pi...sr=8-1&keywords=men+women+and+pianos

Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: dumka1] #2803343
01/18/19 01:47 AM
01/18/19 01:47 AM
Portland, OR
tangleweeds Offline

tangleweeds  Offline

Portland, OR
Originally Posted by dumka1

Moscow Nights:

by Nigel Cliff

I just realized I had that on Kindle, and got totally sucked in. Very enjoyable writing, and a great glimpse into the Cold War era.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2803405
01/18/19 06:55 AM
01/18/19 06:55 AM
Florida
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline OP
Silver Level

Florida
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Permission from the moderators for that post in particular.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: cmb13] #2803453
01/18/19 09:42 AM
01/18/19 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Permission from the moderators for that post in particular.

Yep. Magic. wink

Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: tangleweeds] #2803467
01/18/19 10:07 AM
01/18/19 10:07 AM
D
dumka1 Offline
dumka1  Offline
D

Moscow Nights:

by Nigel Cliff

I just realized I had that on Kindle, and got totally sucked in. Very enjoyable writing, and a great glimpse into the Cold War era.

Yes, I couldn't put it down (although I found the style a bit overdramatic at times).

Re: Nonfiction Piano Books [Re: dumka1] #2803662
01/18/19 05:34 PM
01/18/19 05:34 PM
Northern VA, U.S.
ClsscLib Offline

ClsscLib  Offline

Northern VA, U.S.

Moscow Nights:

by Nigel Cliff

Yes, I couldn't put it down (although I found the style a bit overdramatic at times).

I also enjoyed the book and got a copy for my teacher, who is from Russia and was trained there.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New member advice needed
by Jmf68. 06/16/19 01:02 PM
Joplin Book Recommendations
by Jason Lenthe. 06/16/19 12:44 PM
Any info about piano dealers in NC, SC?
by ShiroKuro. 06/16/19 10:54 AM
Piano & Room Size, Voicing and other Questions
by ShiroKuro. 06/16/19 10:30 AM
Features/sounds: Do you use them? Why why not?
by Bruce In Philly. 06/16/19 09:58 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,548
Posts2,838,426
Members93,626
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission