2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by prout
Very 'cool' Beemer. Thanks for that. All piano dealers and rebuilders should be offering those mats to clients. Whole new market opportunity.

Cheers.

Yes for sure .So glad I do not have underfloor heating !

K
K
I have my new piano in a room with a wood-burning stove. The stove is not in line of sight with the piano and I have a ceiling fan to circulate the room's air. For the concerns about heat from the stove I'm not sure how this is any different than my baseboard heater (the alternate heating source, also across the room) or forced air heating. I don't keep the room heated all the time which I realize would be best for the piano but I can't afford it, I only heat when I'm using the room. Winter temperatures in the room are usually at mid-50s (unheated) and this rises to around 70 the few days/week I heat. Winters are short here, only a few months of any heating each year.

I live at the coast so the humidity tends toward too high (usually in the mid-50s to low 60s) rather than too low and using the woodstove doesn't seem to have much impact on the hygrometer readings.

The other concern I have is increased particulates in the room from the stove. I mitigate by keeping the piano closed most of the time the stove is operating.

All this may shorten the life of the piano, but it is what it is! I think a piano is ultimately a depreciating consumable, like a car, sadly. It'd be best for your car to leave it in the garage all the time, never take it on any bumpy roads, but sometimes that's what you want to use it for!

Last edited by K300; 01/15/19 07:21 PM.
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by K300
I live at the coast so the humidity tends toward too high (usually in the mid-50s to low 60s) rather than too low and using the woodstove doesn't seem to have much impact on the hygrometer readings.

My concern with this would be if you get condensation on the strings and other metal parts when the room is unheated. Even a small amount of water is very very bad for a piano.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Beemer
Originally Posted by prout
I find it interesting that we all have a phobia (with some validity) about fireplaces and pianos, but ignore the fact that radiant heating is an increasingly common form in new construction of houses and especially condos - a gas or electric furnace heating a liquid forced through inlaid pipes in the floors. Your piano sits on top of those pipes and 'sees' the heat source. There is no escape. Shouldn't we be talking about that as well?

It is the case that a rug can insulate the floor, reducing the efficiency of the heating by converting the radiation method to conduction and ultimately convection, but why would you do that? Wooden floors are much more common.

See here:
https://countrywidepianos.com/product/grand-piano-heat-protection-mat/

Ian

Very interesting product.

[Linked Image]
K
K
My concern with this would be if you get condensation on the strings and other metal parts when the room is unheated. Even a small amount of water is very very bad for a piano.

Thank you for the reply. So it sounds like it's not so much the wood-burning stove, more the whole set up. There's not much I can do about the humidity. I can't heat the room full time, the 1950s house has no wall insulation and heating it would cost several hundred a month. I guess I could run a dehumidifier, but they're also expensive to keep running well enough to counteract the humid air coming in from outdoors (and I just read that they only work well in warmer temps). Fortunately I don't have an heirloom instrument.

Last edited by K300; 01/15/19 09:42 PM.
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Check under worst case conditions to see if you're getting condensation on metal objects in the room. If not, it's OK. The potential problem is that the interior air is more humid than that outside. Fire makes water, and if any combustion products are getting in, you could have very high humidity. When it cools, the water comes out of it.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
K
K
Super suggestion! I'll do that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission