Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
129 registered members (amis, aphexdisklavier, accordeur, Animisha, Bobby Simons, AlphaBravoCharlie, agent8698, 33 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? #2801518
01/13/19 11:50 AM
01/13/19 11:50 AM
Minneapolis, MN
D
DDobs Offline OP
DDobs  Offline OP
D

Minneapolis, MN
Sorry, I'm a non-teacher posting in the teachers' forum.

I've been told by a teacher not to use a metronome. Many players on the forums seem to find them useful. I'm trying to decide whether to buy one. I've heard they're helpful with Hanon, learning trills, etc.

I'd appreciate any opinions on this topic.

Thank you.

Mason & Hamlin AA
Learning Mozart Menuetto K355

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: DDobs] #2801540
01/13/19 01:08 PM
01/13/19 01:08 PM
North of Los Angeles
L
Learux Online content

500 Post Club Member
Learux  Online Content

500 Post Club Member
L

North of Los Angeles
There is many metronome apps for cellphone, try one of those first before you buy.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: DDobs] #2801615
01/13/19 05:25 PM
01/13/19 05:25 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
I'm also not a piano teacher.
Metronome is a tool which is useful for some purposes, useless for other purposes, and dangerous for still others. Think of a hammer. It's great for driving nails, ok for pounding other stuff, and completely wrong for many other purposes.

Learner
Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: DDobs] #2801619
01/13/19 05:34 PM
01/13/19 05:34 PM
Canada
pianist_lady Online content
pianist_lady  Online Content

Canada
Do you know why your teacher does not want you to use a metronome?

Private piano teacher
B. Mus., M.Mus. (piano performance & pedagogy).
Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: DDobs] #2801628
01/13/19 05:43 PM
01/13/19 05:43 PM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
A metronome is great for determining a rough tempo for a piece you are learning. It is great if you want to play metronomically. It is great when practicing polyrhythms or complicated rhythmic passages.

It is not great if you want to play music or to play musically.

Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: DDobs] #2801739
01/14/19 01:12 AM
01/14/19 01:12 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
For me, it depends on the propensity of the student. Some students can't follow a metronome, ever. It distracts them, no matter how many times they try.

With other students, a metronome becomes a crutch to counting. They absolutely fall apart without the metronome.

Still, with other students, a metronome makes them super players.

I use a metronome with all students, but I don't force it upon them if it doesn't work for them.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: DDobs] #2801829
01/14/19 09:42 AM
01/14/19 09:42 AM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T

Virginia, USA
I use a metronome frequently.

Like recording, it keeps you honest. It is very hard to hear if you're cheating the rhythms or counting incorrectly otherwise. The metronome doesn't lie. Do you pause between sections? Unless you check, you don't know.

Also, if you have one of the phone apps, you can set a distinctive beat one. When playing syncopated patterns it is easy to add or drop a beat without realizing it, but if one isn't on one then you're wrong.

It teaches you to adapt to an external time. If you can't play with a metronome, you likely can't play with another person, who is even less predictable. But that doesn't matter to everybody.

I use mine when I work out, too. I set it for 60 and use it to time my planks, etc.

My free phone app is a tuner, metronome, drone, and I guess it records but I've never used that feature.

gotta go practice
Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: DDobs] #2802194
01/15/19 09:12 AM
01/15/19 09:12 AM
Canada
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keystring  Offline

Canada
I believe that it is not as much a question of whether to use a metronome, but when to use it, how to use it, for what purpose, and why - which then gives an answer to whether to use it. Your teacher's reasons probably hinge around those things.

Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: DDobs] #2802195
01/15/19 09:19 AM
01/15/19 09:19 AM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T

Virginia, USA
Well, I mostly agree with keystring, but I also think with some people there is just a strong prejudice against it. The claim is that it will produce "metronomic" playing, without expression. I find that claim dubious myself. But then, most of my playing is instrumental in an ensemble, and as part of the group you do use rubato but it must be a shared one, not an individual choice.

I think learning to play with a metronome is an essential skill that should be mastered early before it becomes a phobia.

gotta go practice
Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: DDobs] #2802198
01/15/19 09:41 AM
01/15/19 09:41 AM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

I've no doubt that the metronome can be a useful tool in some circumstances, but I believe that a far more important concept that teachers must instil in all their students is counting beats aloud - from the first lesson, no matter which method book they use (or don't use). A student who was never taught that properly (and the fact that music = notes plus rhythm) - or at all - will likely end up totally dependent on some other 'outside' means of keeping time......like a metronome.

I've seen more than a few learners (mostly adults rather than kids, who seem to be better taught) who can play in perfect time with the click-click of a metronome - obviously they learnt and practiced with it - but as soon as the clicking stopped, their rhythm and tempo goes haywire. Is that musical? Are they musical?

None of my four teachers ever used a metronome with me - in fact, I never even saw one (or knew what one was) until I studied with my last teacher.....and he only used it (very rarely) to check the tempo I was playing at.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: DDobs] #2802200
01/15/19 09:42 AM
01/15/19 09:42 AM
UK
J
Jt2nd Offline
Jt2nd  Offline
J

UK
Is the idea with a metronome to have it ticking away all the time or just to check it for a few seconds to get the idea and then switch off and play ? Having a wooden one knocking away all the time would drive me mad .A silent , visual , one would be like a conductor. That would be much better . It would translate the speed number printed on music in a useful way .
Do the wooden ones have the words like Allego printed on them ?
I just checked and the Amoon one has a softer sound and a very visual swinging arm .I would be happy with that . Is there one to help with Fugues ?

Last edited by Jt2nd; 01/15/19 09:49 AM.
Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: Jt2nd] #2802280
01/15/19 01:49 PM
01/15/19 01:49 PM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by Jt2nd
Is the idea with a metronome to have it ticking away all the time or just to check it for a few seconds to get the idea and then switch off and play ?

Something in between, depending on the experience of the student.
An experienced player who CAN keep a steady beat internally and who can play with a metronome as needed would use it occasionally and briefly.
I would not think anyone would use one all the time. But while working out rhythms, you might need it for extended periods.

You would not use one in performance. (You wouldn't need one, you'd have a clicktrack going on an IEM).

gotta go practice
Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: DDobs] #2802290
01/15/19 02:14 PM
01/15/19 02:14 PM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T

Virginia, USA
I thought of a way to explain how I think it should be used.

Can you play four quarter notes of exactly equal length?

How do you know? You check with a metronome.

You don't wait to hear the metronome and let it guide you to equal length quarter notes, that comes from your internal beat, but without the external check you will fool yourself. It recalibrates your sense of time.

gotta go practice
Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: TimR] #2802301
01/15/19 02:41 PM
01/15/19 02:41 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

Originally Posted by TimR

I disagree.

You listen to yourself - record yourself on your phone and play it back, if you're not sure. Train your ears, not rely on a mechanical instrument. Learn to listen to yourself.

BTW, you never play to a click track when playing piano, unless you're accompanying a soundtrack or movie etc. If you're good enough to do the latter, you wouldn't be needing a metronome to keep time for practicing.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: DDobs] #2802454
01/15/19 09:31 PM
01/15/19 09:31 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
There are simple web tools you can use to check your recordings:
https://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm
You can use it on your favorite pro recording too, it's enlightening.

Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: TimR] #2802485
01/15/19 11:17 PM
01/15/19 11:17 PM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario

You don't wait to hear the metronome and let it guide you to equal length quarter notes, that comes from your internal beat, but without the external check you will fool yourself. It recalibrates your sense of time.
Sorry, but this is not relevant to the art of making music.

First off, the word 'exact' is a fool's word. Even a metronome is incapable of producing exactly equal length beats and neither is the NIST 'atomic' clock. The correct word is 'precise', and you may choose your level of precision.

Secondly, musicians and ballet dancers and tap dancers and drummers and such have been producing precisely equal length dance steps and quarter notes and such long before any metronome or clock could aid them. We musicians have an internal sense of rhythm which is not only extremely accurate, but simultaneously musical.

Last edited by prout; 01/15/19 11:17 PM.
Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: DDobs] #2802514
01/16/19 03:09 AM
01/16/19 03:09 AM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
thepianoplayer416  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
I use a metronome for practice most of the time after I learned a piece well enough. In the beginning I'm just learning to right notes and usually not overly concerned with counting exactly. After a while practicing the same notes over and over I have a tendency to speed up and feel my current speed of playing gets rather slow. I need a metronome to keep me playing at a certain tempo.

In performance obviously not. You don't usually play every beat the exact same. Some of the time you'd be a touch ahead of the beat and some of the time behind. As long as you are not too far off should be OK.

Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: bennevis] #2802598
01/16/19 09:12 AM
01/16/19 09:12 AM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by bennevis

I disagree.

You listen to yourself - record yourself on your phone and play it back, if you're not sure. Train your ears, not rely on a mechanical instrument. Learn to listen to yourself.

Well of course that's the goal. But it is impossible for beginners to listen to themselves in real time, and apparently intermediates struggle as well. (and church musicians - don't get me started!)

And yes recordings are very effective, and nobody should neglect to do this. But a metronome is often the quickest and easiest way to check how closely you're playing.

Sorry I brought up click track, it's not really relevant. But if you do session work at all, it's not an option, it's a requirement. The only thing I use it for is if I'm making a multitrack. Yes, you can set your software to play your previous tracks back, but without the click track the latency adds.

gotta go practice
Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: prout] #2802601
01/16/19 09:21 AM
01/16/19 09:21 AM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by prout

Secondly, musicians and ballet dancers and tap dancers and drummers and such have been producing precisely equal length dance steps and quarter notes and such long before any metronome or clock could aid them. We musicians have an internal sense of rhythm which is not only extremely accurate, but simultaneously musical.

On precise vs exact, point taken. You are correct, my wording was bad.

On the precision produced, yes and no. I don't teach beginners but for social reasons I've attended quite a number of recitals. Students do NOT exhibit an internal sense of rhythm! Whether a metronome would ameliorate that I don't know. It would surely point it out though.

The point I was trying to make with my example is that I use the metronome to verify precision, not to produce it. It's a check, not a forcing function. (when used as a forcing function, you end up playing late.)

Many musicians and dancers do have the internal pulse. In my experience these are all people who play in ensembles or dance to accompaniments regularly. Piano students are almost exclusively solo performers and I suspect that is what makes the difference.

gotta go practice
Re: Question for Teachers - Metronome or Not? [Re: TimR] #2802613
01/16/19 09:48 AM
01/16/19 09:48 AM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
Originally Posted by prout

On precise vs exact, point taken. You are correct, my wording was bad.

On the precision produced, yes and no. I don't teach beginners but for social reasons I've attended quite a number of recitals. Students do NOT exhibit an internal sense of rhythm! Whether a metronome would ameliorate that I don't know. It would surely point it out though.

The point I was trying to make with my example is that I use the metronome to verify precision, not to produce it. It's a check, not a forcing function. (when used as a forcing function, you end up playing late.)

Many musicians and dancers do have the internal pulse. In my experience these are all people who play in ensembles or dance to accompaniments regularly. Piano students are almost exclusively solo performers and I suspect that is what makes the difference.

You make a good point about solo pianists. I hadn't thought of it that way.

In the spirit of honesty, my ab initio teacher ignored teaching me rhythm completely, though I could sight read anything. My new teacher, when we moved to a new city, actually laughed at me when I first played for him, and refused to take me on, but at the insistance of my mother, agreed on the basis that I did not touch the piano for six months, but only clapped ryhthms he provided using a metronome.

I am eternally grateful for that experience. My sense of rhythm is much better now after 50 years as a professional musician, though the ab initio teacher really screwed me up. She is rotting in h*ll now, I would expect, if I were religious.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dampp Chaser Samart Bar - under pads or over?
by jrcallan. 08/22/19 10:31 AM
Score reading v memorisation v visualisation
by earlofmar. 08/22/19 02:49 AM
Metronome usage
by Jitin. 08/21/19 10:36 PM
How to play this song
by eisnnlius. 08/21/19 09:03 PM
Sonex Pianos - free Steinway & Bosendorfer for Kontakt
by newer player. 08/21/19 08:25 PM
What's Hot!!
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,665
Posts2,861,423
Members94,221
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission