Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
133 registered members (BarryR, 90125, Alexwm, Alex C, Amedeus, BeSharp, AZNpiano, Bett, 34 invisible), 1,561 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 50 of 50 1 2 48 49 50
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Ginger Flaherty] #2799623
01/08/19 06:12 AM
01/08/19 06:12 AM
Sweden
A
Animisha Offline
Animisha  Offline
A

Sweden
Originally Posted by Ginger Flaherty
Violin is my 1st instrument

Aha, that is why you do everything right from the start! You already know how to learn to play an instrument... smile

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Animisha] #2799678
01/08/19 08:52 AM
01/08/19 08:52 AM
South Florida
T
TryAnotherName Online content
TryAnotherName  Online Content
T

South Florida
Originally Posted by Animisha

Aha, that is why you do everything right from the start! You already know how to learn to play an instrument... smile

I totally agree that, having learned other instruments, you already have a blueprint for the piano learning process.That works reciprocally. I hang out with a lot of other string instrument players on the Fiddlerman forum. There are a few accomplished players and lots of adult starters (0 - many years in.) That's where it occurred to me that the folks there who have other instruments under their belt have an enviable advantage when picking up violin... especially in terms of theory and how those individual dots and spaces on the page tie together to produce music.

That's what motivated me to try a keyboard instrument.

Kawai GE-1
Starting on Faber All-in-One
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2799891
01/08/19 08:22 PM
01/08/19 08:22 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
Im learning Sloop John B in the chapter 3 section. Im glad to see everybody doing well.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 4
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2800408
01/10/19 07:16 AM
01/10/19 07:16 AM
South Florida
T
T

South Florida
Good Morning Faberites,

On the bottom half of page two of Ginger's intro thread, we were discussing - amongst other things - the relative benefits of using the Faber & Faber Piano Adventures books (not the Adult version) vs: the All-In-One Adult version. I thought it might interest some Faberites if I linked it here:
Which Faber Version

I'm using the All-In-One... moving forward at a brisk pace in book 1 - and basically wanted to figure out what I was missing out on. Ginger and Animisha gave me some food for thought... especially about using complementary pieces to shore up skills learned.

Well, I guess my teacher saw the down side of moving forward in the pieces too quickly because at our last lesson (my 4th) he saddled me up with more finger strength, stamina exercises (Hanon), two octave scales in 5 keys (OMG, still stumbling over C Major) and the assignment to transpose a sweet little French melody from C to G and D.

I'm trying to suss out what he's thinking and came up with this:
- It's not a good idea to fall into the faster-progress-is-better trap.
- Working more on coordination and focus skills and less on pieces is a mechanism to slow things down.
- That a sneak preview of the dryer skills work is a good reality check... this journey isn't going to be only about merrily bouncing through the Faber books at top speed.

So I have a pretty dry homework list for the week... trying to make lemonade out of lemons and enjoy the scales crazy

Kawai GE-1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: TryAnotherName] #2800538
01/10/19 12:57 PM
01/10/19 12:57 PM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by TryAnotherName
I'm using the All-In-One... moving forward at a brisk pace in book 1 - and basically wanted to figure out what I was missing out on. Ginger and Animisha gave me some food for thought... especially about using complementary pieces to shore up skills learned.

Well, I guess my teacher saw the down side of moving forward in the pieces too quickly because at our last lesson (my 4th) he saddled me up with more finger strength, stamina exercises (Hanon), two octave scales in 5 keys (OMG, still stumbling over C Major) and the assignment to transpose a sweet little French melody from C to G and D.:

The Adult All-In-One does move at a very brisk pace, this is why many adults prefer the regular Piano Adventure books. As a "re-beginner" I found the All-In-One just right for me as a refresher so that I could dig into the many Faber literature books at each level - which can be bought really cheap - used off Amazon. In addition, I worked my way through the Joytunes Piano Maestro app which has tons music from Elementary up through 3B.

But all by itself All-In-One moves much too briskly - if you're still working on honing fundamental skills and knowledge.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Animisha] #2800554
01/10/19 01:49 PM
01/10/19 01:49 PM
Oregon
G
Ginger Flaherty Offline
Ginger Flaherty  Offline
G

Oregon
Originally Posted by Animisha

Ah, now if only i could apply this to better my playing the violin....there is a reason the devil is reported to be a violinist. But yes I learned/am learning how to practice via the violin.

Last edited by Ginger Flaherty; 01/10/19 01:50 PM.
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2800783
01/11/19 08:49 AM
01/11/19 08:49 AM
Tennessee
C
Chili_Time Offline
Chili_Time  Offline
C

Tennessee
First lesson with my new teacher last night because my former teacher moved back to her home state. I will always fondly remember my first piano teacher, but I think I’ll get along great with my new teacher. Boy oh boy the action on the teaching piano in her studio was heavy! That threw me and combined with the nerves of not wanting to mess up my play was… terrible. I suppose it will take a few weeks to get settled and finish up the level 2 books which is fine because I enjoy the final sections and will happily play them for a few more weeks. I am so glad to be into a new semester with weekly feedback.

Started Playing October 1, 2017. First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Accelerated Piano Adventures Book 2 For The Older Beginner. Yamaha P-115.
[Linked Image]
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2800803
01/11/19 10:16 AM
01/11/19 10:16 AM
South Florida
T
T

South Florida
I already bought book 2 but looks like I'm not going to get to it for several weeks now that my teacher is slowing me down (appropriately so according to everyone's advice :-)

I showed it to him (remember, he likes teaching based on Faber) and his comment was: "It's similar to book 1 with a lot more notes." LOL

Kawai GE-1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2800806
01/11/19 10:19 AM
01/11/19 10:19 AM
South Florida
T
T

South Florida
Yes, Chili_Time, I get that. Although my teacher and I have the same brand piano, mine is the opposite (heavier than his) and it's always a surprise when I get started. Enjoy working with your new teacher!

Kawai GE-1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: TryAnotherName] #2800830
01/11/19 11:11 AM
01/11/19 11:11 AM
Portland, OR
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
tangleweeds  Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Portland, OR
I suggest you download the free Piano Adventure Player app. There are 16 units of free videos by Randall Faber (very clear and... I'd say, graceful.)

I’m not who this was addressed to, but I took this suggestion and wow! Great videos! I think I’ve been inspired to use Adult PA for the basis of my re-restarting journey (I haven’t been in a conducive situation for piano for the past 5+ years, and have lost all my skills frown ).

ETA: For later readers not on iOS, the videos are also available via the Faber Piano Adventures YouTube page.

Last edited by tangleweeds; 01/11/19 11:17 AM. Reason: Add link

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Groove On] #2801384
01/12/19 08:04 PM
01/12/19 08:04 PM
Norfolk UK
O
Ojustaboo Offline
Ojustaboo  Offline
O

Norfolk UK
Originally Posted by Groove On

Well, I guess my teacher saw the down side of moving forward in the pieces too quickly because at our last lesson (my 4th) he saddled me up with more finger strength, stamina exercises (Hanon), two octave scales in 5 keys (OMG, still stumbling over C Major) and the assignment to transpose a sweet little French melody from C to G and D.:

The Adult All-In-One does move at a very brisk pace, this is why many adults prefer the regular Piano Adventure books. As a "re-beginner" I found the All-In-One just right for me as a refresher so that I could dig into the many Faber literature books at each level - which can be bought really cheap - used off Amazon. In addition, I worked my way through the Joytunes Piano Maestro app which has tons music from Elementary up through 3B.

But all by itself All-In-One moves much too briskly - if you're still working on honing fundamental skills and knowledge.

Hi. Moving from a PC based stage piano to a digital piano away from the PC, and poorish eyesight that means I won’t be using my iPad on my pianos music stand to read music as I play, I’m looking at a few books to learn from.

I have the kindle version of Alfreds all in one level 1 and am working through that fine although have to print out the music to use on my piano (PC has 27” monitor that rotates hence can easily read kindle books on there. Am looking to get actual paper books for level 2 and have been considering Fabre.

I take it there isn’t one all in one version for each level that contains the main books such as theory, lessons, technique etc, I have to buy them all separately? I know there is the Adult all in one, I mean the other version?

Which books do I need for each level to both learn and have fun with please?

A teacher is out of the question at the moment due to health problems (could never book an appointment as I don’t know in advance whether I’ll be well enough)

Many thanks

Last edited by Ojustaboo; 01/12/19 08:07 PM.
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Ojustaboo] #2801430
01/12/19 11:32 PM
01/12/19 11:32 PM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Ojustaboo

For the older beginner either:
1. The Accelerated Piano Adventures
(4x books per level + lots of literature books).
2. or the 2x Adult All-In-One Piano Adventures books + lots of literature books.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Groove On] #2801681
01/13/19 07:19 PM
01/13/19 07:19 PM
Norfolk UK
O
Ojustaboo Offline
Ojustaboo  Offline
O

Norfolk UK
Originally Posted by Groove On
Originally Posted by Ojustaboo

For the older beginner either:
1. The Accelerated Piano Adventures
(4x books per level + lots of literature books).
2. or the 2x Adult All-In-One Piano Adventures books + lots of literature books.

Many thanks

Page 50 of 50 1 2 48 49 50

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P-255 to P-515?
by MegaPiano. 01/17/19 03:56 PM
Roland Keyboard with Alexa Voice Control?
by JohnSprung. 01/17/19 03:49 PM
Time for first tuning?
by mackguy. 01/17/19 12:47 PM
Chickering Manufactured by Baldwin Mid 1990's
by Leslie C. 01/17/19 12:40 PM
Kawai CA63
by Bibster. 01/17/19 12:19 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,626
Posts2,782,856
Members92,133
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission