2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, 9 invisible), 1,173 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
By what means has this 64-limit been observed?
I wonder because it's so very absurd.

K
K
Plugged into Logic Pro, opened Velocity Processor plugin which shows where Note On and Note Off values fall on a line, Note On never gets past halfway, and Note Off starts in the middle and goes all the way up to 127

Can you post images?

K
K
Here's a screen grab of the P515 in Logic (seems to go up to around 80 today, single notes top out around 100): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BJfto21fc0

Here's the P515 recording midi notes directly with Midi Monitor - shows that banging as hard as I can does not produce values over 90! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFJ1ANpO21g

Here's a Nektar Impact GX61 midi controller - very easy to get low values and high values (but impossible to get nuanced control): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Pf37B5nUw

Quick updates: Just did Factory Reset - no change.
Just tried Fixed Velocity on the keyboard settings - this does indeed allow fixed values from the keyboard up to 127 to be sent to Midi Monitor (with 64 sent as Note Off).
Given that the velocity does change in response to that setting I tried all the options from Soft2->Medium->Hard 2 - In all cases the highest Note On value I ever achieved was 100 - literally once, the rest of the time low 90's was the highest...

Last edited by kensdavid; 01/12/19 10:39 PM.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
While 100 is on the low end of the max range in DPs, I don't see anything especially out of the ordinary here. There are other DPs that max out at around 100 (I think my mp11 did that). The important thing is it is not hard-limited to 64 or tied to the note off range.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
K
K
Thanks for having a look Gombessa!

Glad to know that other DPs max out lower than 127. I think what sparked my concern in the first place was that out of the box the keyboard sounded super weak.

Since finding the additional volume and touch sensitivity controls I can get it to a place that sounds great to me ears, I just wonder how many people will strongly dislike this board due to some very weird default settings...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kensdavid

Given that the velocity does change in response to that setting I tried all the options from Soft2->Medium->Hard 2 - In all cases the highest Note On value I ever achieved was 100 - literally once, the rest of the time low 90's was the highest...

My ES100 had a similar issue few years ago: It sounded very dull and was limited to MIDI velocity 102, regardless of any touch settings, factory resets etc. I returned it to the dealer. They couldn't find my issue and returned it to me unrepaired. Since then it produces velocity levels up to 127 just fine.

It's a complete mystery what happened there. I guess it got some percussive maintenance by shipping it again...

Yamaha P-515
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by IosPlayer
Most dps or keybds have touch velocity adjustments. Did you make the appropriate changes on the Korg PA when you played it? It often makes the difference between playable and not enjoyable.

Yep, I tried the different curves. It made the Korg more playable, but still felt a little off. I'm used to an acoustic grand, so I guess I can only expect so much. I've never played any digital that felt like the real thing.

I think the P515 could be played a bit more expressively, but still not great. Those keys kind of hurt my fingers after a while, which is weird because they do seem to have some cushion at the bottom. Nevertheless, when playing harder, I could feel the impact in my finger bones.

Another thing I don't like with these digitals is it's hard to know when the max volume is reached for a note. For example, on a piano, the note gets louder each time I play harder. However, on a digital, I might reach the max value, but not know it, so I play harder and harder to no good effect.

Anyway, it's probably a combination of several things, but I find it hard to play a digital after being so used to acoustics.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
J
J
Did you try the free Yamaha C5 Grand that is loadable to your Korg? It is much more expressive than the default piano.
You can listen to a demo here:
https://youtu.be/iRJWOn_c050

and it is downloadable from here:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=113029

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission