Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
77 registered members (7uturu, Beakybird, Animisha, Cheshire Chris, Alex C, 20 invisible), 1,136 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Kawai VPC1 or wait? [Re: Omalikular] #2796965
12/31/18 12:24 AM
12/31/18 12:24 AM
Ontario, Canada
H
halherta Offline
halherta  Offline
H

Ontario, Canada
These AIs have a USB connection. Plug into your PC and the PC sees it as a high fidelity and low latency sound card. It sends audio from the PC to its output ports (Headphone out for headphones, Balanced out or Unbalanced out for speakers), and can receive audio from its inputs (microphone inputs). In my case I use the output ports. I get the VST software to route audio data to say the headphone port or to the Balanced/UnBlanaced outs for speakers.

The Focusrite also has MIDI IN/OUT ports, so one can hook the MIDI out port from your DP/controller to the MIDI IN on the Focusrite and the Focusrite will now route the midi data from the DP/controller through the focusrite and into the PC via its USB connection. So in addition to acting as a high fidelity USB sound card, it's also a MIDI to USB converter.

Hope this helps

Yamaha P-125, Pianoteq 6, Ravenscroft 275 VST, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Kawai VPC1 or wait? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2796967
12/31/18 12:32 AM
12/31/18 12:32 AM
Z
Zaphod Offline
500 Post Club Member
Zaphod  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

...Or maybe I do know. Are those using one just connecting it to their computer as an Analog-to-Digital (A/D) interface for their piano's line-out?

Guessing it's also pretty handy for recording a performance on to an audio editor etc. on the PC. So recording, I would have thought would be the main reason.

Also, if you're Krystian Zimerman, it has a mic socket that you can plug a mic into, to ensure that your humming appears in full force on your latest perfect and delightful recording.

Re: Kawai VPC1 or wait? [Re: Omalikular] #2797326
01/01/19 04:46 AM
01/01/19 04:46 AM
T
tomich Offline
tomich  Offline
T

I got the VPC1 with the stand used and it does all I hoped it to for a piano controller. It feels better than many acoustic pianos I have played in my life and works well with the Dexibell SX7. I haven't played with the velocity curves, but one new year's resolution is to play more music instead of playing with my instruments. Thank you for the endless insight and advice from all of you.

Feliz año nuevo from Spain!

Re: Kawai VPC1 or wait? [Re: tomich] #2797439
01/01/19 12:21 PM
01/01/19 12:21 PM
Ontario, Canada
H
halherta Offline
halherta  Offline
H

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by tomich
I got the VPC1 with the stand used and it does all I hoped it to for a piano controller. It feels better than many acoustic pianos I have played in my life and works well with the Dexibell SX7. I haven't played with the velocity curves, but one new year's resolution is to play more music instead of playing with my instruments. Thank you for the endless insight and advice from all of you.

Feliz año nuevo from Spain!

Congrats on your VPC-1! And happy new year!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Kawai VPC1 or wait? [Re: Ctopher7] #2797500
01/01/19 03:19 PM
01/01/19 03:19 PM
C
Ctopher7 Offline
Ctopher7  Offline
C

Originally Posted by Ctopher7
I was at a Kawai store last Saturday looking at the CA58/78. The salesman mentioned that the CA58 has the Grand Feel Compact action.
I asked "Isn't that an upgrade to the RM3 Grand II action in the VPC1?" He said something to the effect of "yeah and the VPC2 will [/ might] get the compact action."
Now, whether or not he was speculating or speaking from inside knowledge, well it remains to be seen...(I didn't ask further because my focus was on the CA58)

I was at the same Kawai dealer yesterday speaking to a different salesman. (Merriam Music, a big Kawai dealer) I mentioned the discussion above. He said he hadn't heard any news about a VPC2.

But he did note that the ES8 digital piano is now discounted so that's a likely sign of a new model being imminent. However no discount on the VPC1 (yet)...

Re: Kawai VPC1 or wait? [Re: Omalikular] #2801115
01/12/19 06:54 AM
01/12/19 06:54 AM
N
nicknameTaken Online content
nicknameTaken  Online Content
N

Shouldn't the newer models come all 5 years? I want to have the best Piano possible, couple it with pianoteq VST and then learn Piano.
https://www.youtube.com/user/marasy8 is the style of what i want to learn. Budget around 3000 EUR at max. The Kawai CA-78 model does quite scare me bc of the high price tag and because i still have a sexy Keyboard Stand with wheels.

Re: Kawai VPC1 or wait? [Re: nicknameTaken] #2801172
01/12/19 10:23 AM
01/12/19 10:23 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

Originally Posted by nicknameTaken
Shouldn't the newer models come all 5 years? I want to have the best Piano possible, couple it with pianoteq VST and then learn Piano.
https://www.youtube.com/user/marasy8 is the style of what i want to learn. Budget around 3000 EUR at max. The Kawai CA-78 model does quite scare me bc of the high price tag and because i still have a sexy Keyboard Stand with wheels.

For 3000€, why not forget the VPC1 and just buy an MP11SE? It has a better action, and it's possible that the future VPC2 would only have an action as good as the current MP11SE. And it will go on your sexy stand with wheels. My piano teacher suggested the MP11SE as an option for me when I raised the idea of a VPC1.

...and then learn Piano.

In any case, I am negative about the idea in general that one should wait for a precondition like having a certain model piano be release before starting a hobby/pastime. If one is serious about one's hobby, it can be started with even less than optimal equipment, and then upgraded later as time and budget allows.

This reminds me of a story I read on the Internet a few years back about a fellow building his own kit airplane. In not so many words, he remarked that he wanted to learn how to fly, but decided he needed an airplane so started work on building his own, an endeavor that ended up taking at least 7 years. I thought to myself - so his hobby wasn't flying then.... it was building an airplane! grin

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
Re: Kawai VPC1 or wait? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2801194
01/12/19 11:22 AM
01/12/19 11:22 AM
N
nicknameTaken Online content
nicknameTaken  Online Content
N

...and then learn Piano.
In any case, I am negative about the idea in general that one should wait for a precondition like having a certain model piano be release before starting a hobby/pastime. If one is serious about one's hobby, it can be started with even less than optimal equipment, and then upgraded later as time and budget allows.

I had a Yamaha P45 and a Korg D1 for 1 and a half year and was very unsatisfied with the bad Key Action.
Which is why i decided to buy something 'good'.
The Kawai MP11-SE is certainly good. It even is not as expensive as the ca-78.
If i can't find a teacher that drives home to me, i will try taking online lessons. Actually puting a tripod ontop of the instrument, or behind it.

Actually i'm unsure about one thing: The height. My Keyboard stand is 65cm with wheels at minimum position, the mp11-se is 19cm, will that make problems? I am about 165cm tall.

Last edited by nicknameTaken; 01/12/19 11:25 AM.
Re: Kawai VPC1 or wait? [Re: nicknameTaken] #2801392
01/12/19 09:27 PM
01/12/19 09:27 PM
Ontario, Canada
H
halherta Offline
halherta  Offline
H

Ontario, Canada

I think that the VPC-1 was introduced in Winter NAMM 2013 so its been 6 years. But because it is in a unique product category (piano controller) with little to no competition, it is still the best piano controller that you can get for the money and Kawai has little incentive to upgrade it. In fact if Kawai upgrades the VPC's action to GF or GFII it risks cannibalizing its sales of the MP11SE and its high end CA/CS series console DPs. The MP11SE is a much better alternative in my opinion if you are willing to spend the extra money. But the VPC-1 is still a very decent option as well.

I can see Kawai updating the VPC1 to a GF-C action sometime in the near future. They should at the very least change the pedal to an optical one and possibly allow for use of generic sustain pedals without major modifications/hardware hacking.

Last edited by halherta; 01/12/19 09:28 PM.

Re: Kawai VPC1 or wait? [Re: nicknameTaken] #2801394
01/12/19 09:35 PM
01/12/19 09:35 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

If i can't find a teacher that drives home to me, i will try taking online lessons.

There are many different threads about different online options on the ABF forum. Also, another online option that you can explore is with a piano teacher via video messenger. You can also post to ABF about that. There are two recent posts about this and the OPs of those two threads are close to finding teachers I think.

Actually i'm unsure about one thing: The height. My Keyboard stand is 65cm with wheels at minimum position, the mp11-se is 19cm, will that make problems? I am about 165cm tall.

For classical piano, my research has shown that a good height is so that when you are sitting at the bench with your fingers on the keys, the bottom surface of your elbows are exactly level with the tops of the keys. I've also seen you can go about 1cm below this too. However, for me, I find I actually need to go up a bit or else my wrists often will sag to below the level of the key tops, which is bad.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano marvel vs playground sessions?
by chongjasmine. 03/26/19 05:50 AM
Lifting the CA98
by iLogic. 03/26/19 02:58 AM
How much is this piano worth
by humble_pianist. 03/25/19 05:49 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,130
Posts2,810,920
Members92,879
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission