Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
57 registered members (Artur Gajewski, aliaksej, campfire, Beowulf, Animisha, bambooninja, Alex C, A Guy, 13 invisible), 908 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Best to learn classical, then jazz, or the other way around? [Re: Nahum] #2801318
01/12/19 03:56 PM
01/12/19 03:56 PM
Cumbria, England
elenmirie Offline
elenmirie  Offline

Cumbria, England
Originally Posted by Nahum
Originally Posted by elenmirie
Do you think that Mozart could also be in a group of latecomers? I think not. It is often impossible to point to a specific point in time when a pianist from a performer of music turns into a performer of a musical notation. "The notes must be correct, and the rhythm must be accurate!"

Also interesting to note that Mozart was known for improvisation, and in his day improvisation skills were expected of a musician. Same with Beethoven who came shortly thereafter. All this jazz (using this colloquialism deliberately) about classical musicians only play exactly what's on the page is a recent invention. Like silence in concert halls.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Best to learn classical, then jazz, or the other way around? [Re: elenmirie] #2801326
01/12/19 04:15 PM
01/12/19 04:15 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
B

Also interesting to note that Mozart was known for improvisation, and in his day improvisation skills were expected of a musician. Same with Beethoven who came shortly thereafter.

Actually, that's not quite true.

Even in Mozart's day, there were performers who didn't compose and couldn't improvise.......like his sister Nannerl.

She wrote to him asking for a cadenza for one of his concertos she was going to perform. And he wrote cadenzas for most of his concertos, partly because some were written for others to perform.

If you think about it, cadenzas are the easiest to improvise, because you're already well-practiced and well-acquainted with the tunes.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Best to learn classical, then jazz, or the other way around? [Re: RosemaryGirl] #2801337
01/12/19 04:53 PM
01/12/19 04:53 PM
R
RosemaryGirl Offline OP
RosemaryGirl  Offline OP
R

Wow! Well, I obviously didn't know what I was unleashing when I posted my innocent question before going out to dinner, and now look at what's happened! laugh
I am French after all, so I guess I started "the great debate" early (ahem).

It seems I've got a few answers that confirm my suspicions though: learn to play with classical music first, spice it all up later, and as a beginner, you can already learn "written" jazzy pieces before tackling improvisation much later. I think. If I understood well.

I've already had much reflection thanks to your posts, so I will follow links and read meatier articles after some shut-eye. Thanks to all and happy playing!

Re: Best to learn classical, then jazz, or the other way around? [Re: 90125] #2801356
01/12/19 06:08 PM
01/12/19 06:08 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by 90125
Originally Posted by RosemaryGirl
Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and happy weekend playing.

Don't waste your time here. Go to the worldwide renowned source of information on classical & jazz education and various fusions of them.

https://online.berklee.edu/about/compare-online-music-education-offerings

Take the online non-credit course there that starts on Monday the 14th. They will still gladly enroll you there quite cheaply. Even if you don't succeed at making the grade there you will have enough interaction with teachers and students to have guidance & inspiration for the rest of your life.

Gary Burton used to teach there. Chick Corea used to give occasional classes there too. With your musical tastes you will love their style. In case you haven't heard it, here's "Lyric Suite for Sextet" to get you in the proper mood to start:

Burton is good, but he goes way too fast for a beginner or even a student with a classical background jumping in. For example, how can you possibly learn the modes and alternate scales in all keys and be able to play music based on them in random order in one week? That alone would take a year. I interfaced with a student who was semi-professional (from how he sounded) and his strategy was to repeat the course multiple times, going a bit further each time. I learned a lot in that course, but I stopped after week 2.

For someone getting their feet wet I found this one to be excellent.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/develop-your-musicianship

Professor Russel has a way of presenting things so that they are grasped by beginners and yet can be pushed further by more advanced musicians. His assignments are deceptively simple and doable, and yet pack a punch in terms of learning and growth.

Re: Best to learn classical, then jazz, or the other way around? [Re: bennevis] #2801461
01/13/19 06:06 AM
01/13/19 06:06 AM
Cumbria, England
elenmirie Offline
elenmirie  Offline

Cumbria, England
Originally Posted by bennevis

Also interesting to note that Mozart was known for improvisation, and in his day improvisation skills were expected of a musician. Same with Beethoven who came shortly thereafter.

Actually, that's not quite true.

Even in Mozart's day, there were performers who didn't compose and couldn't improvise.......like his sister Nannerl.

She wrote to him asking for a cadenza for one of his concertos she was going to perform. And he wrote cadenzas for most of his concertos, partly because some were written for others to perform.

If you think about it, cadenzas are the easiest to improvise, because you're already well-practiced and well-acquainted with the tunes.

I stand corrected! laugh

Re: Best to learn classical, then jazz, or the other way around? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2801722
01/13/19 10:21 PM
01/13/19 10:21 PM
Mars
90125 Online sick
90125  Online Sick

Mars
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Thanks for mentioning Chick Corea, because it reminded me he was the second Jazzer I heard playing classical! And this is the concert - one with two great pianists playing Mozart at a concert smile Enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S1iHZEQXrE
This video above just shows how, sometimes genre divisions are just divisions and great pianists transcend these divisions. smile

Thanks again for posting this video. I heard it in the past, but this is first time I actually seen it and I'm very impressed by the creative use of the early video technology. I need to rid myself of the habit of shifting Youtube browser windows with music away from view into the background.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Comparing DP to acoustic, muffled/metallic sound etc...
by Artur Gajewski. 01/16/19 01:27 AM
Need Roland HP170 service manual/schematic
by btsui. 01/15/19 11:15 PM
Discord Online Jamming Central server looking for pianists
by Tyrone Slothrop. 01/15/19 11:02 PM
NU1X white noise?
by Eienkei. 01/15/19 10:51 PM
What keyboard should I get???
by jbear876. 01/15/19 08:42 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,594
Posts2,782,186
Members92,114
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission