2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 3 invisible), 1,300 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Zaphod
I've always found with my playing that it sounds better without the VST actually. Or onboard sounds. And with the power button switched off as well, for some reason.

We've found the percussionist! smile

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
H
H
Originally Posted by Zaphod

I've always found with my playing that it sounds better without the VST actually. Or onboard sounds. And with the power button switched off as well, for some reason.

I don't even touch the keys! Air piano!

Yamaha P-125, Pianoteq 6, Ravenscroft 275 VST, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Originally Posted by oivavoi
Hence, playing with pianoteq over very good headphones is the closest I get to "reality" on a DP.

In terms of sound alone, I think Pianoteq is the least realistic of anything currently available.

Pianoteq is very very sensitive to the velocity curve used and the sound reproduction mechanism (headphones, monitor speakers etc.). There is no such thing as 'one Pianoteq' sound and that is why a lot of people simply love it or simply hate it.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That's not why. Fake sound is why.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Well I am super glad I like fake sounds then cause PTQ is the bees knees 😉

Originally Posted by fofig
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Count me in for the party laugh I can possibly agree that *eventually* when played with a great piano action and through some (imaginary) great speaker placement with a lot of vibration and playability, Pianoteq might be realistic, but just playing it on headphones is close to being the most unrealistic piano experience. IMHO

OK, if we are all be counted in and out, then count me out! Pianoteq is the only reason I am still playing piano (only slight exaggeration) as the native sounds of my FP30 put me off so much that if I hadn't come across Pianoteq when I was searching for alternatives, my entire piano learning experiment might have come to an untimely early end after only two weeks!

So, I count 3-1 so far wink What other Pianoteq fans will join me in pushing back against the Horde? wink

3-3

same here fp-30+PTQ.... i could not play otherwise... just something aboutthe reponse as somebody said...

3-4! b
Victory is in sight! I got round to trying out my FP50 again because of all the criticism over FP30, which can't sound so different.
Got used to it again quite quickly; the best part is the superb resonances which are good stereo. Now, if I could separate those from the FP sound and add them to Pianoteq . . . .but yes. FP50's still good to go.

Anyone buying? grin

Last edited by peterws; 01/12/19 02:15 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
O
O

I don't know. YMMV.
Here's a teaser for the Pianoteq Steingraeber piano: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8k0HIj8mj_I

Does this sound "fake" to people? Now I certainly don't claim to have perfect ears. But I played a Steingraber grand in a church some weeks ago, and earlier today I spent some time with a wonderful Steingraeber upright. To my ears this Pianoteq version sounds pretty believable. Is it as rich and deep as the grand or the upright? No. That's also because of the highly imperfect transducers I'm using (right now some good headphones), which can't replicate the way a good grand piano emits sound. In addition, each and every acoustic instrument has its own signature, which will always be different from a modelled piano. But for what it is, this sounds pretty good to me, at least.

Last edited by oivavoi; 01/12/19 02:15 PM.

Schimmel 130 by day, Roland FP-30X & Sennheiser 800s by night
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
3-4! b
Victory is in sight!

jamiecw makes it 3-5! wink Now come on. More Pianoteq people speak up. We have to drown out the PT naysayers out there smile

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Very fake. Almost every other VST I've tried (dozens of them) sound more real. The feel of Pianoteq is superb. But the sound is truly appalling.

BTW ... online demos are useless. Pianos that sound good online often sound terrible upon installation. My wallet was heavily drained before I discovered that.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Very fake. Almost every other VST I've tried (dozens of them) sound more real. The feel of Pianoteq is superb. But the sound is truly appalling.

BTW ... online demos are useless. Pianos that sound good online often sound terrible upon installation. My wallet was heavily drained before I discovered that.

Curious - did PTQ not offer the current trial version?

Unless they didn’t I see no reason to have had any money spent on it..

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jamiecw

Curious - did PTQ not offer the current trial version?

Unless they didn’t I see no reason to have had any money spent on it..

PTQ does offer a trial version. thickfingers mentioned he is using it. It's because of the trial version that I am a loyal PTQ user. And it's because of a lack of a trial version that I haven't tried any sampled VSTs and am not even sure what they sound like apart from the videos (well except for my FP30, which is mostly sampled).

[Linked Image]

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Same here, I too would have liked to have tried the Ravenscroft and Garitan but not at the risk of getting something I can’t put to test and be out a couple hundred bucks.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jamiecw

So, I count 3-1 so far wink What other Pianoteq fans will join me in pushing back against the Horde? wink

3-2... wink
Similar experience, from a P115, to a YDP163, then an FP30 & laslty an AP470 none made me enjoy listening to myself play..PTQ on the other hand & the control it permits me is what makes me go back every day to practice and play.

Originally Posted by peterws
3-4! b
Victory is in sight!

jamiecw makes it 3-5! wink Now come on. More Pianoteq people speak up. We have to drown out the PT naysayers out there smile

You counted jamiecw’s vote twice. That’s considered cheating so your two votes are disqualified. laugh
3:2

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/12/19 03:08 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission