Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
140 registered members (Bean23, 36251, ando, agraffe, astrotoy, ALEXANDER DYKER, Azzawaba, apianostudent, AZNpiano, AlphaBravoCharlie, 29 invisible), 1,727 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Fifth finger [Re: shadighaffari] #2800840
01/11/19 12:51 PM
01/11/19 12:51 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
B

Originally Posted by shadighaffari
.Unfortunately most teachers think it is not a problem playing with a curled and angular shaped fifth finger, and they can't realise the problem.

Do you have a teacher?

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Fifth finger [Re: bennevis] #2800879
01/11/19 02:39 PM
01/11/19 02:39 PM
Iran, Tehran
S
shadighaffari Offline OP
shadighaffari  Offline OP
S

Iran, Tehran
Yes, once a week I hv an Armenian teacher, but he says nothing is wrong with yr left hand fifth finger. That's partly why I searched for an answer on the internet for my question, and I found this site. Many years ago when as a complete beginner I started at the age of 28 to study the piano, the teachers used to advised pupils to play with a round hand as if holding a tennis ball, and I used to play on the tip of that finger, but somehow I saw I was very uncomfortable, then as years passed I realised that I should play with the fleshy cushion like part of the fingers and not the tip behind the nails, but unfortunately I can't manage that with that left fifth finger, the only way for that is consciously making an effort to straighten it and laying it flat on the key. For that reason I was so depressed that I quit for five years playing the piano then from two years ago I started again. I wonder if other people hv ever had this problem in one of their fifth fingers, I think I am the only person. I want it so much to be like my other fifth finger, but it is not.

S.G.
Re: Fifth finger [Re: shadighaffari] #2800901
01/11/19 03:39 PM
01/11/19 03:39 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

Yes, once a week I hv an Armenian teacher, but he says nothing is wrong with yr left hand fifth finger.

I think he's right. There's a lot of normal variation.
Why don't you post a photo of your hand and fingers here and let us see?

Remember, no-one has perfect symmetry on both sides. For instance, my right thumb curves inwards when hanging loose, unlike my left thumb, but I have no problem using it - for anything.

Many years ago when as a complete beginner I started at the age of 28 to study the piano, the teachers used to advised pupils to play with a round hand as if holding a tennis ball, and I used to play on the tip of that finger, but somehow I saw I was very uncomfortable, then as years passed I realised that I should play with the fleshy cushion like part of the fingers and not the tip behind the nails, but unfortunately I can't manage that with that left fifth finger, the only way for that is consciously making an effort to straighten it and laying it flat on the key. For that reason I was so depressed that I quit for five years playing the piano then from two years ago I started again. I wonder if other people hv ever had this problem in one of their fifth fingers, I think I am the only person. I want it so much to be like my other fifth finger, but it is not.

Everybody is different. Some pianists play with very curved fingers; others play with almost flat fingers. There's nothing wrong with any of them.

I play with the tips of my fingers just behind my nails, except my thumb, unless I'm playing at nearly full stretch (e.g. octaves, because my hands are small). I have to cut my nails very short, otherwise they hit the keys with a click. If you listen carefully to some CD recordings, you can actually hear some fingernail clicking by some pianists who haven't cut their nails short enough (or maybe they can't cut them any shorter).

If your fifth finger doesn't look like this, it's perfectly normal, and you just need to work with it:
https://geelonghandtherapy.com.au/wp-content/uploads/image2-19.jpeg

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Fifth finger [Re: bennevis] #2800926
01/11/19 04:34 PM
01/11/19 04:34 PM
Dublin
J
johnstaf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Dublin
Originally Posted by bennevis
If your fifth finger doesn't look like this, it's perfectly normal, and you just need to work with it:
https://geelonghandtherapy.com.au/wp-content/uploads/image2-19.jpeg

My fingers used to do that. It was great for entertaining my friends in school. I still have a bit of trouble with the fifth finger on my left hand doing that on the piano, but I learned how to deal with it, and it has been no disadvantage whatsoever to me as a pianist. It's not great when I try and play the bass though...

We have to work with whatever hands we were born with and make the best of it.

Last edited by johnstaf; 01/11/19 04:37 PM.
Re: Fifth finger [Re: shadighaffari] #2800942
01/11/19 05:28 PM
01/11/19 05:28 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
What does your teacher have to say about it? Everyone has a unique hand/finger shape, and most of the time, you figure out a way to work with it. Sometimes, in extreme circumstances, you avoid certain kinds of pieces. But really, a good teacher should be able to give you proper advice.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Fifth finger [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2800957
01/11/19 05:51 PM
01/11/19 05:51 PM
London
D
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David-G  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D

London
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
Playing the chromatic scale with fingers 345 is very good for training the fifth finger.

This interests me, but I can't see how you do it. Can you be more specific? I cannot see how you can do this unless you turn the forearm to be almost parallel to the keyboard. Is this what you meant?

Re: Fifth finger [Re: bennevis] #2800999
01/11/19 07:30 PM
01/11/19 07:30 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California
Originally Posted by bennevis
Everybody is different. Some pianists play with very curved fingers; others play with almost flat fingers. There's nothing wrong with any of them.

Yes, but the one cautionary note on flat fingers is that you have to build up the strength to do it. You can't just suddenly start, or you could hurt yourself. Try it a little, rest for a while, see how it feels.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Fifth finger [Re: bennevis] #2801119
01/12/19 07:11 AM
01/12/19 07:11 AM
Iran, Tehran
S
shadighaffari Offline OP
S

Iran, Tehran
I can take a picture of my left hand, an also right hand, but I don't know how to send it on this site.

S.G.
Re: Fifth finger [Re: bennevis] #2801124
01/12/19 07:20 AM
01/12/19 07:20 AM
Iran, Tehran
S
shadighaffari Offline OP
S

Iran, Tehran
I saw the picture they u had sent me, mine the tip isa bent, but the rest of the finger is not straight like in this picture.

S.G.
Re: Fifth finger [Re: David-G] #2801177
01/12/19 10:42 AM
01/12/19 10:42 AM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
500 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
500 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by David-G
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
Playing the chromatic scale with fingers 345 is very good for training the fifth finger.

This interests me, but I can't see how you do it. Can you be more specific? I cannot see how you can do this unless you turn the forearm to be almost parallel to the keyboard. Is this what you meant?

No, forearm position remains normal. Think of it like that: it's your whole arm that moves every finger to it's optimal position right above the key before every keystroke and then the finger just depresses the key with minimal motion and goes up. The arm is responsible for positioning, not the wiggling wrist or stretching fingers. The arm guides the motion.

When you just start practicing I think you can adduct your wrist to help yourself, but with practice the angle of adduction should diminish. I would start slowly and almost non legato.

I think Josh Wright demonstrated it on one of his YouTube videos, but I don't remember on which it was exactly, maybe someone will tell this.

Re: Fifth finger [Re: bennevis] #2802148
01/15/19 03:44 AM
01/15/19 03:44 AM
Iran, Tehran
S
shadighaffari Offline OP
S

Iran, Tehran
If you write yr email address for me I can send you the picture of my left hand and right hand, but as I don't hv a web page I can't share or send the picture on this site.

S.G.
Re: Fifth finger [Re: shadighaffari] #2803293
01/17/19 08:51 PM
01/17/19 08:51 PM
London
D
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David-G  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D

London
If you write yr email address for me I can send you the picture of my left hand and right hand, but as I don't hv a web page I can't share or send the picture on this site.

Yes you can! Follow the instructions which you will find in * this thread *.

Re: Fifth finger [Re: David-G] #2803630
01/18/19 04:14 PM
01/18/19 04:14 PM
Iran, Tehran
S
shadighaffari Offline OP
S

Iran, Tehran
I use my cell phone, I don't use a laptop, so I can only share it on an email address, besides the fact that I don't understand the instructions, as I can't right click on a cellphone.

S.G.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rock School Breakdown?
by stevechris. 03/26/19 05:07 PM
Which Yamaha model?
by Azzawaba. 03/26/19 04:48 PM
CP88
by quindecima. 03/26/19 04:37 PM
Story & Clark Console - Worth Investing in?
by Bean23. 03/26/19 04:19 PM
Which Yamaha model?
by Azzawaba. 03/26/19 03:49 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,147
Posts2,811,139
Members92,886
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission