Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
85 registered members (Beowulf, Chernobieff Piano, AnnInMiami, 15shoes, 90125, brooster, anotherscott, ando, 20 invisible), 1,098 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai #2801116
01/12/19 05:58 AM
01/12/19 05:58 AM
Czech Republic
B
bartas Offline OP
bartas  Offline OP
B

Czech Republic
Hi all, after a long time of thinking and dreaming I decided to buy a digital piano. I spend many hours on forums which vendor and model will best suite for me, and I hope some experience with the process may help others by choosing first piano. Shortly my story:

I never played piano before, but my will to learn is huge so I decided to buy some midlde class piano that will not cost too much money, but would not limit my progress after one or two years.
Budget limits: I set budget top limit to 1 800 USD including all additional costs like headphones. Optimal limit was set to 1 600 USD and low limit set to 1 150 USD.
Sound preference: for some reason I preferred sampled sound pianos becouse I think, that the sound is "clearer" and thus better for learning. There is very nice video that compares Yamaha CLP 625 (sampled) and CLP 635 (modeled) - 635 sounds much better, but somehow, I think it sounds better only if you can play well - and thats not my case.
Piano will be placed and played in a small room ca. 16m2
Additional functions: I want to learn piano - I do not need additional functions like guitar sounds or MIDI or any of this - only function that come useful to me is learning program/app, that will help me to learn and practice.

After lot of youtube/forum search and budget consideration I end up with following models to compare:

Yamaha: YDP163 (1100 $), CLP 625 (1430 $), CLP 635 (1800 $)
Roland: RP501 (1320 $), HP601 (1680 $)
Kawai: CN27 (1360 $), CN37 (1620 $)
Note: all prices are from Czech Republic

I considered shortly also Casio models because I expected I can get better value for less money compared to Yamaha/Roland/Kawai. But after few forum threads I somehow lost trust to myself that I can choose right one from Casio models.

Before I went to the shop:
I compared and evaluated following models (order by preference without trying any of the models by myself):

Roland HP601
+ I liked controls (especially that volume control is digital and not with potentiometer that may damage the sound due dust after few years)
+ Keyboard: expectations quite high due reviews
+ Learning app
- Price and color (yes you may laugh, but I wanted either white or black and those colors are 200 $ more expensive and that is over budget)

Roland RP501
+Controls almost same as on HP601
+Price
+Learning app
- Worse keyboard type than on HP601
- Polyphony (128 "only") I know, it should be enough, but...

Yamaha CLP 625
+ Keyboard same as CLP 635
+ Polyphony (256)
- I have not found any cons. before I went to the shop

Yamaha YDP 163
+ Price
+ Good sound reviews
- Worse keyboard

Yamaha CLP 635
+ top model in the budget limit
+ keyboard
- price

Kawai CN27
+ quite positive reviews on the net (best value/money ratio)
- loud keyboard (to that topic I will return below)

Kawai CN37
+ positive reviews on the net
- loud keyboard

After that I thought again about budget and shortlisted following models (ordered by preference)

Roland RP501, Yamaha CLP625, Yamaha YDP163, Roland HP601, Yamaha CLP 635. I cut of the Kawai models due the loud keyboard complains on the forums. With that I went to the shop to hear and try:

In the music shop:

Roland RP501
Keyboard - I was quit happy with it - nothing I can complain, but I think it is worse than Yamaha CLP 625
Sound - High tones - OK, Middle tones - OK, Low tones - huge disappointment - Low tones somehow not fit right to the middle tones. They are too low. I don't know if it is due speakers or sound module. But if you play just from right side to the left side on the keyboard, there is strange "gap" between middle and low tones.

Yamaha CLP625
Keyboard - nice to me, better than on RP501. Second best keyboard to me.
Sound - I would say - as expected, Nice but still it sounds to me bit "plastic" or electronic, especially the low tones

Yamaha YDP163
Keyboard - worse than on RP501 or CLP625 - but still sufficient
Sound - again low tones were problem. This time they were too high, and they again did not fit to middle and high tones. Somehow it felt me like the low tones were sampled on other acoustic piano than the others ones. It was strange to me. Also all tones sounds more plastic and electronic than on CLP625

Roland HP605
It was not on the list, but there was no HP601 to try so I tried at least the keyboard - very nice - It felt to me almost as on the acoustic piano. What was strange for me, that the black keys have wooden texture - I never seen that on acoustic piano, every acoustic piano that I tried has smooth black keys.

So I was allmost decided for Yamaha CLP 625 but the shop assistant told me to try the Kawai (he had Kawai CN27 in the shop). I told him about the keyboard loudness, but he said it is no issue because when you play you can't hear it - so I tried it.

Kawai CN27
Keyboard - it feels other then all other models - the keyboard responds differently - but I liked it. It make "jump" when it returns after pressing. The shop assistant showed me also fast repetition on it (and on all other models) and I have to admit that the Kawai was best in it.
Sound - It sounded to me most natural and excellent balanced - low, middle and high tones fit together (even in my opinion, middle tones were better on CLP625), but on Kawai the sound "flows" very nice and that impressed me.

So after another three hours of comparison of sound, keyboards behavior and feel between CLP625 and CN27 I decided for the Kawai CN27 because:
I liked the sound - it "flows" nice and really fits together (high/middle/low tones).
Keyboard is different than all other models, I would also say it is less like on acoustic piano (I tried only few acoustic ones), but it is different in positive way to me.
It has polyphony 192 - which is worse than CLP625, but more than RP501
It has 18 piano sounds (as far as I found out) - that is better than CLP625 (10)
It somehow feels to me, that Kawai concentrated on "piano" part on this model and put down additional functions - I liked this way.
The price fits in the budget nicely

Note about the keyboard loudness on Kawai - yes it is loud (or lets say much louder than all other models). If you play on low volume, you will hear it and it could be disturbing for someone. I knew it in the shop, that it will annoy me especially at the beginnings when I will not play fast. But compared with the nice sound and keyboard feel, I decided to ignore this loudness issue.

So that is my story - I hope it will help someone during considering the right digital piano and help to concentrate on few things that are not easily found on the net.

Best regards Bartas

Last edited by bartas; 01/12/19 06:07 AM.
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: bartas] #2801117
01/12/19 06:06 AM
01/12/19 06:06 AM
Murmansk, Russia
P
PianoStartsAt33 Offline
PianoStartsAt33  Offline
P

Murmansk, Russia
Wow. You post contains so much information that I think it is you who can give advices on chosing DP to the others smile

"No succes of failure matters when it's about true vocation". Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Roland FP-90

YoutubeChannel
Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2801120
01/12/19 06:12 AM
01/12/19 06:12 AM
Czech Republic
B
bartas Offline OP
bartas  Offline OP
B

Czech Republic
Thank you, its kind of you. But I doubt that - I never played piano or other music instrument before. I just spend some time to compare and put my thoughts in here. smile

Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: bartas] #2801121
01/12/19 06:15 AM
01/12/19 06:15 AM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
7000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Nice. Under the circumstances I'd likely have made the same choice.

Note that the polyphony won't matter at all in normal piano performance. The numbers are (and have been for years) plenty big enough. Only if you layer multiple instruments will the polyphony matter ... and even then it won't matter because "realism" doesn't matter when you layer sounds. The layering is fake anyway, so how can we care about faithful realism for fake sound?

Anyway ... nice choice. Enjoy.

(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater 1000s of deals on Gear
Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: bartas] #2801126
01/12/19 06:22 AM
01/12/19 06:22 AM
Murmansk, Russia
P
PianoStartsAt33 Offline
PianoStartsAt33  Offline
P

Murmansk, Russia
I liked the sound - it "flows" nice and really fits together (high/middle/low tones).
Keyboard is different than all other models, I would also say it is less like on acoustic piano (I tried only few acoustic ones), but it is different in positive way to me.

Did you play the instrument yourself? If yes, may be, you just chosing an instrument that "plays itself", as one my fellow Moscow conservatory graduate says. He means that in real life you should have good skills to make an instrument sound good. And if instrument sounds good with a performer of low skills - this instrument is extremely far away from a real thing.

Last edited by PianoStartsAt33; 01/12/19 06:26 AM.

"No succes of failure matters when it's about true vocation". Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Roland FP-90

YoutubeChannel
Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2801128
01/12/19 06:29 AM
01/12/19 06:29 AM
Czech Republic
B
bartas Offline OP
bartas  Offline OP
B

Czech Republic
Originally Posted by PianoStartsAt33

Did you play the instrument yourself? If yes, may be, you just chosing an instrument that "plays himself", as one my fellow Moscow conservatory graduate says. He means that in real life you should have good skill to make and instrument sound good. And if instrument sounds good with a performer of low skills - this instrument is extremely far away from a real thing.

Yes I have played it myself - but with no knowledge to play it was, better said, i touched the keyboard - from left to right, from right to left, tried various combination of keys and tried to hear how it sound to me. I tried it for lets say three hours on all models. And the shop assistant played many real pieces on all models that I mentioned.

Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: bartas] #2801129
01/12/19 06:37 AM
01/12/19 06:37 AM
PA
puremusic Offline
puremusic  Offline

PA
Sounds like you made a great choice and really liked hearing your impressions! Thanks very much!

Have a great time with your new piano! smile

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2801138
01/12/19 07:21 AM
01/12/19 07:21 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
Congratulations on your purchase, may you have a lot of fun with it.

Just one question about this:
Originally Posted by bartas
There is very nice video that compares Yamaha CLP 625 (sampled) and CLP 635 (modeled) - 635 sounds much better, but somehow, I think it sounds better only if you can play well - and thats not my case.

Is this a typo? Because surely, the CLP635 is not modelled (currently none of the Yamahas are, neither the Kawais or Casios).

Did you play the instrument yourself? If yes, may be, you just chosing an instrument that "plays itself", as one my fellow Moscow conservatory graduate says. He means that in real life you should have good skills to make an instrument sound good. And if instrument sounds good with a performer of low skills - this instrument is extremely far away from a real thing.

Not wanting to offend anyone, but that is nonsense.

So a (digital) piano only sounds "real" if it sounds bad when played by a beginner and requires a good performer to sound good?

Taken to its conclusion that means that a "real" piano (=acoustic) sounds bad when played by a beginner and only sounds good when played by an experienced player. And that is obviously nonsense.

Can you imagine those expensive, *really* good Steinways, Bösendorfers, Shigeru Kawais, Bechsteins, Yamahas, etc., how they all sound crappy when played by a beginner, but only sound good for someone with experience? Of course not!

Your fellow graduate must have spent his live playing a lot of really crappy pianos to have come to the conclusion that "sounding bad" is the natural state of a piano that requires a skilled player to overcome, to finally make it sound good. This view may indeed be true for a bad piano (which naturally sounds bad but can sound decent under the fingers of a good player) but it is certainly not true for any half way decent, or good to very good piano. Those sound good even when played by beginners.

And digital pianos do of course try to emulate good acoustic pianos (it would be kind of silly if they would, on purpose, try to simulate a bad acoustic). So yes, a decent DP should sound good even under a beginner's fingers. And if it does, it means that it has done it's job of sounding "real" very well - it is then close to the "real thing", not "far away from it" (unless the "real thing" was supposed to be a crappy beater piano - then it is indeed far from it).

Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: bartas] #2801144
01/12/19 07:42 AM
01/12/19 07:42 AM
Tampa Bay, FL
B
BarryR Offline
BarryR  Offline
B

Tampa Bay, FL
Hi all, after a long time of thinking and dreaming I decided to buy a digital piano. I spend many hours on forums which vendor and model will best suite for me, and I hope some experience with the process may help others by choosing first piano. Shortly my story:

Best regards Bartas

Sounds what I went thru...Paralysis thru analysis....Pick one, it wont be your last....In comparison, practically. no guitar player has one guitar....

Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: JoBert] #2801147
01/12/19 07:52 AM
01/12/19 07:52 AM
Murmansk, Russia
P
PianoStartsAt33 Offline
PianoStartsAt33  Offline
P

Murmansk, Russia
Originally Posted by JoBert
Congratulations on your purchase, may you have a lot of fun with it.

Just one question about this:
There is very nice video that compares Yamaha CLP 625 (sampled) and CLP 635 (modeled) - 635 sounds much better, but somehow, I think it sounds better only if you can play well - and thats not my case.

Is this a typo? Because surely, the CLP635 is not modelled (currently none of the Yamahas are, neither the Kawais or Casios).

So a (digital) piano only sounds "real" if it sounds bad when played by a beginner and requires a good performer to sound good?

Taken to its conclusion that means that a "real" piano (=acoustic) sounds bad when played by a beginner and only sounds good when played by an experienced player. And that is obviously nonsense.

Can you imagine those expensive, *really* good Steinways, Bösendorfers, Shigeru Kawais, Bechsteins, Yamahas, etc., how they all sound crappy when played by a beginner, but only sound good for someone with experience? Of course not!

Your fellow graduate must have spent his live playing a lot of really crappy pianos to have come to the conclusion that "sounding bad" is the natural state of a piano that requires a skilled player to overcome, to finally make it sound good. This view may indeed be true for a bad piano (which naturally sounds bad but can sound decent under the fingers of a good player) but it is certainly not true for any half way decent, or good to very good piano. Those sound good even when played by beginners.

And digital pianos do of course try to emulate good acoustic pianos (it would be kind of silly if they would, on purpose, try to simulate a bad acoustic). So yes, a decent DP should sound good even under a beginner's fingers. And if it does, it means that it has done it's job of sounding "real" very well - it is then close to the "real thing", not "far away from it" (unless the "real thing" was supposed to be a crappy beater piano - then it is indeed far from it).

Yes, there is some place for what you say, I think. I gues it's a peculiarity of russian school. Some pianost here are even proud that they had to play variuos crappy pianos and it resulted in ability to play good on any instrument".
I posted this video on the forum, I remember:

That guy knows her personally and when I asked about the sound he said:"Not bad. But this is Katya - she can make even washtub sound good". smile

Roland FP-90

YoutubeChannel
Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: bartas] #2801154
01/12/19 08:07 AM
01/12/19 08:07 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
Oh, I totally agree that a good player can make even a bad piano sound good. Lisitsa on a crappy street piano still sounds way better than me on a perfect Steinway. smile

I just don't believe that

a) A beginner needs to learn on such a crappy piano to reach that level.
(Although, and I'm dipping into stereotype territory here, I can imagine that claiming that you need to learn on a bad piano, is a good excuse for a cash strapped conservatory that only has beaten practice piano to offer its students. And that if this claim is repeated often enough, that even the students themselves perpetuate it.)

and

b) A digital piano only sounds like the "real thing" if it sounds bad in the hands of a beginner and requires an advanced player to sound good.
(That would indeed be a strange definition of the "real thing".)

Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2801176
01/12/19 09:35 AM
01/12/19 09:35 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

... as one my fellow Moscow conservatory graduate says.

Off topic, but you went to the Moscow conservatory? In what instrument? I assume not piano smile

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2801178
01/12/19 09:44 AM
01/12/19 09:44 AM
Murmansk, Russia
P
PianoStartsAt33 Offline
PianoStartsAt33  Offline
P

Murmansk, Russia
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Off topic, but you went to the Moscow conservatory? In what instrument? I assume not piano smile

Oh, sorry, looks like my English let me down smile I meant to separate things - that he is Moscow conservatory graduate (he, not me) and that he is my friend. Altough I know him only for a couple of years. He performed Shostakovich concerto in our local Philharmonic smile

Applausing bald guy in the 1st row here is me https://youtu.be/kyhLcsiP6z0?t=73 smile

Last edited by PianoStartsAt33; 01/12/19 09:49 AM.

Roland FP-90

YoutubeChannel
Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2801187
01/12/19 10:08 AM
01/12/19 10:08 AM

Oh, sorry, looks like my English let me down smile I meant to separate things - that he is Moscow conservatory graduate (he, not me) and that he is my friend.

Ничего! I understand now smile

Altough I know him only for a couple of years. He performed Shostakovich concerto in our local Philharmonic smile

Oh how nice! He played very well.

My wife has a friend who is a bass violin in the Russian Army Orchestra. But I challenge you to even find one Youtube video of that orchestra. It is entirely overshadowed by the Red Army Choir (despite or because of the tragedy involving the latter). Most Russians don't even know there is a military orchestra. Although there are so many military marching bands in Russia. The orchestra is a well-guarded secret! cool

Applausing bald guy in the 1st row here is me https://youtu.be/kyhLcsiP6z0?t=73 smile

Yes! I see you there in the foreground @ 1:12. Привет! smile

(OK, back to the original topic! smile )

Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2801192
01/12/19 10:18 AM
01/12/19 10:18 AM
Murmansk, Russia
P
PianoStartsAt33 Offline
PianoStartsAt33  Offline
P

Murmansk, Russia

Ничего! I understand now smile

Привет! smile

Why am I reading this with English accent, like Priviet and Nichego, though it's written in pure Russian smile ?

OK, let's go back to the original discussion smile

Roland FP-90

YoutubeChannel
Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: JoBert] #2801207
01/12/19 10:55 AM
01/12/19 10:55 AM
Russia
StasNick Offline
StasNick  Offline

Russia
Originally Posted by JoBert

Let me enter into this interesting discussion smile

I’ll write right away that I am not a professional pianist and I don’t even have friends of pianists. But I also think that a good instrument should make a bad sound with a bad touch. Probably, it is better to even write like this: an ugly, faded, poor, quiet, weak sound.

Example:
very weak touch of the piano key (weaker than pianissimo). Even a very good piano will have an ugly sound. You will hear a hammer and a very weak touch of the string. So can beginner and schoolboy play.
I found a video where it is clearly shown (this is Japanese, but the built-in translator translated everything well and I understood the point). Start watching from 01:59:

Roland, which is shown there, can not reproduce such a bad sound, because there are no such samples. As a result, a similar press on this digital piano produces a perfect sample (quiet: a piano or pianissimo, which is taken by a professional pianist or generated by the program). But we will not hear the bad sound that is on an acoustic piano.

Another example:
master classes from piano teachers (professors of the Moscow Conservatory or the Central Music School in Moscow). I reviewed hundreds of such videos and concluded: even a student (who has been studying for 5, 6 or 7 years) cannot get the same sound that teachers have. It is just heard by ear, even on the record. And on good concert pianos. What to say about newbies.

Of course, a good concert grand piano will always sound nice (due to the rich and beautiful timbre), but the above trivia will also be present. And it is good when the digital piano imitates it with some precision. For example, developers can record a sample for a weak touch or a sample for a too strong blow, etc. I think this is the advantage of sampling (I'm not sure that all this can be described mathematically).

Last edited by StasNick; 01/12/19 10:57 AM.

I started learning to play the piano in November 2017.
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-635 | SoundCloud >>
Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: StasNick] #2801212
01/12/19 11:18 AM
01/12/19 11:18 AM
Murmansk, Russia
P
PianoStartsAt33 Offline
PianoStartsAt33  Offline
P

Murmansk, Russia
Originally Posted by StasNick

Of course, a good concert grand piano will always sound nice (due to the rich and beautiful timbre), but the above trivia will also be present. And it is good when the digital piano imitates it with some precision. For example, developers can record a sample for a weak touch or a sample for a too strong blow, etc. I think this is the advantage of sampling (I'm not sure that all this can be described mathematically).

In the perfect world, it should be decribed mathematically. All the nuances of the sound come only from the different speed with wich hammer strikes the string. It is possible nowadays to model nuclear explosions or birth of the galaxies - but it all demands extremely powerfull computers. But times changes. Remember Deep Blue that won chess match against Kasparov. That days it was a room full of computers. In 2019 even a mediocre smartphone can overpower human chess champion smile So, I hope one day we will have full and real sound production modelling in a compact piano.

Last edited by PianoStartsAt33; 01/12/19 11:27 AM.

Roland FP-90

YoutubeChannel
Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: BarryR] #2801213
01/12/19 11:21 AM
01/12/19 11:21 AM
Czech Republic
B
bartas Offline OP
bartas  Offline OP
B

Czech Republic

Originally Posted by BarryR

Best regards Bartas

Sounds what I went thru...Paralysis thru analysis....Pick one, it wont be your last....In comparison, practically. no guitar player has one guitar....

I would agree with the comparsion guitar player, but I had many reasons for good analysis and comparsion of models . The main of them is the budget. I can't afford to buy new digital piano in one or two years easily. I thought also to buy some used DP on eBay, but I was afraid of possible defects, therefore new one was my priority. And to be honest I didn't feel to be paralysed smile I think I stoped the anaylsis at the right moment.

Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: bartas] #2801371
01/12/19 07:02 PM
01/12/19 07:02 PM
Tampa Bay, FL
B
BarryR Offline
BarryR  Offline
B

Tampa Bay, FL

Originally Posted by BarryR

Best regards Bartas

I would agree with the comparsion guitar player, but I had many reasons for good analysis and comparsion of models . The main of them is the budget. I can't afford to buy new digital piano in one or two years easily. I thought also to buy some used DP on eBay, but I was afraid of possible defects, therefore new one was my priority. And to be honest I didn't feel to be paralysed smile I think I stoped the anaylsis at the right moment.

Hs...Good for you..Good luck in your new endeavor...You will have plenty of help here if you should need it....

Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: bartas] #2801402
01/12/19 08:55 PM
01/12/19 08:55 PM
Arizona USA
F
Finfan Offline
Finfan  Offline
F

Arizona USA
I would not worry so much about Polyphony. Few of us will ever even saturate 128 without using lots of effects.

Last edited by Finfan; 01/12/19 08:56 PM.

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: Finfan] #2801404
01/12/19 09:00 PM
01/12/19 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Finfan
I would not worry so much about Polyphony. Few of us will ever even saturate 128 without using lots of effects.

Or just holding the pedal...

Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2801421
01/12/19 10:11 PM
01/12/19 10:11 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by Finfan

Or just holding the pedal...

Even then it would be really hard to hit 128 in actual playing. Polyphony isn't a major consideration for solo piano in modern DPs. In older DPs, polyphony only really matters because low polyphony strongly suggests decays and sustains will be unnaturally short (so as to not overrun the polyphony). Even on old 32-poly DPs, dropouts weren't much of an issue for me but short sustains made for really unnatural and sloppy technique.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
Re: Choosing my first piano - Yamaha/Roland/Kawai [Re: bartas] #2801465
01/13/19 06:46 AM
01/13/19 06:46 AM
France
Frédéric L Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Frédéric L  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

France
Just listen http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...note-polyphony-question.html#Post2546673 and you will be able to evaluate how much polyphony is required.

Note : when my VST has an unlimited polyphony, the voices counter doesn’t go higher than 128 from memory.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai vs yamaha conservatory grands
by kokatla. 01/17/19 09:10 PM
Name that piano! Prizes! Fame!
by Bruce In Philly. 01/17/19 07:26 PM
Concerns about buying the MP11SE due to possible MIDI issues
by Scriavel Bachmanin. 01/17/19 05:14 PM
Debussy plays Clair de Lune
by prout. 01/17/19 05:11 PM
Yamaha P-255 to P-515?
by MegaPiano. 01/17/19 03:56 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,634
Posts2,782,980
Members92,145
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission