Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
135 registered members (Beemer, bambooninja, 90125, Alex Hutor, augustm, Alexwm, BarryR, 34 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fixing the underside of a "concert stool" bench? #2800995
01/11/19 06:22 PM
01/11/19 06:22 PM
New York
Mark_C Online content OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Mark_C  Online Content OP

New York
First of all, I wasn't sure what to call it.
Y'all probably know what I'm talking about, but to make sure, I mean one of these:

[Linked Image]

I'd been noticing for some time that the seat was a bit wobbly, from side to side, probably for many months. But now, it was really wobbly. Since I'm slightly handy with fix-its (very slightly handy, as you'll soon see) grin I figured I'd look underneath to see what's going on. I thought maybe some screw or nut was loose and it would just need to be tightened.

What I found was that there was this fat metal rod, about ½-inch thick, that was askew. Clearly it was supposed to be straight-horizontal but it was a little diagonal.
I figured the first thing was to try to just straighten it -- and it came loose. At the same time, this little piece of hardware came loose and fell down: fat black screw, about 1½-inch long with a little silver-color cylindrical thing around the first part of it.

I tried to slip the rod back into place -- and immediately, another identical fat metal rod came loose -- from where, I couldn't tell you.

And then I had a 'recovered memory': I seemed to remember that some time ago, probably over a year ago, I had found some little piece of hardware on the floor, and while my first thought was just to throw it away since I had no idea what it was, my better judgment took over and I put it somewhere in this little cabinet that's near the piano. I figured maybe it was something from this bench.
Lo and behold, I found it -- and it's another one of those 1½-inch black screws with a little silver-color cylindrical thing around the first part of it.

So that's where I am -- and I have no idea how to try to put it all back together. I searched online quite a bit, and wasn't able to find anything.

I imagine that a lot of you know what to do. I hope I've described it well enough for someone to be able to tell me what to do -- mainly "what goes where" and in what order to try to do anything.

Thanks in advance.
I have a feeling that y'all will make me able to get the thing back together before the night is out....

(ad 800)
PTG Convention
PTG Journal
Re: Fixing the underside of a "concert stool" bench? [Re: Mark_C] #2801004
01/11/19 06:40 PM
01/11/19 06:40 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
There have been several height adjustment mechanisms in these benches over the years, so if the manufacturer cannot help you, some pictures might help us help you.

Semipro Tech
Re: Fixing the underside of a "concert stool" bench? [Re: BDB] #2801012
01/11/19 06:59 PM
01/11/19 06:59 PM
New York
Mark_C Online content OP

New York
I was able to find an image online that's very close to what mine looks like.
Very very close, so close that it might be the exact kind of thing:

[Linked Image]

I'm pretty sure that my 2 loose rods are the ones that are seen toward the background of this image -- i.e. not the 3 "vertical" rods closest to the the camera ("vertical" in terms of being vertical in this image), but the 2 'vertical' rods to the rear, 1 to each side of the middle rod in the front.

I hope this helps.

Re: Fixing the underside of a "concert stool" bench? [Re: Mark_C] #2801017
01/11/19 07:11 PM
01/11/19 07:11 PM
Rockville, MD
Seeker Offline
500 Post Club Member
Seeker  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rockville, MD
I can't tell for sure from your picture, but I think you have a Jansen bench.
If that is the case, have a look here: http://www.jansenpianobenches.com/artist_bench_parts_repair_kit.html

If you're fortunate enough NOT to have lost any of the parts, the diagrams could help you successfully reassemble the mechanism.

On the other hand, if some of the bushings have worn out, even if you get it reassembled, it will still rock from side to side - and you'll need to invest in the parts kit.

I don't know if Jansen & Sons sells direct to the public. If not, you'll have to go through someone who has an account with them.

Good Luck with your bench.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Fixing the underside of a "concert stool" bench? [Re: Seeker] #2801019
01/11/19 07:18 PM
01/11/19 07:18 PM
New York
Mark_C Online content OP

New York
Seeker: Thank you! There's a fair chance I'd be able to use that to do something, although meanwhile I'll wait and see if someone has a direct suggestion on what to do with those parts.

BTW I'd have no problem about buying the parts kit if I need to; only thing about that would be that I'd have to wait a while to fix the bench.

About my bench maybe being a Jansen: I got it from Steinway together with the piano, in 2002. Do you know if Steinway sold those benches? (I never thought about what company made it; I guess I sort of assumed it was Steinway itself.)

Re: Fixing the underside of a "concert stool" bench? [Re: Seeker] #2801048
01/11/19 09:24 PM
01/11/19 09:24 PM
New York
Mark_C Online content OP

New York
Well..... ha

Inexplicably, unaccountably, I suppose against all odds and all reasonable expectation grin ...looks like I did it.

And, the thing that enabled me to do it was, simply, that image that I got online, which I got only because a couple of you guys asked if I could post a pic, which I said I didn't need to do. But, by looking at that image, I was able to see exactly where to try to put those parts.

There's one little fly in the ointment: While I was doing it, which wasn't that hard to figure out what to do but which took a fair amount of bodily contortion and thanking the heavens that I'd accumulated every which kind of tool over the years (ultimately I only needed 2) and WD-40 which I used for cleaning the black goock off the parts and maybe to make it easier to screw the screws into the rods, somehow another one of those fat screws appeared, so now I still have a stray screw that belongs I don't know where. I'll put it away and save it for the next time the bench starts falling apart, which hopefully won't be for another 17 years again.

Thanks for the help!!! Maybe it didn't seem like much but it got me to where I could do it.

P.S. There's a label down under on the bottom of the seat that says "Jansen and Son."
(I guess it's a Jansen.) ha

Re: Fixing the underside of a "concert stool" bench? [Re: Mark_C] #2801061
01/11/19 10:35 PM
01/11/19 10:35 PM
Tennessee
E
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ed Foote  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E

Tennessee
[quote=Mark_C somehow another one of those fat screws appeared, so now I still have a stray screw that belongs I don't know where. I'll put it away and save it for the next time the bench starts falling apart, which hopefully won't be for another 17 years again.
:[/quote]

That screw has a place in the mechanism. Each of the cross rods has a screw in each end, and there are two that tie the diagonals together. Feel around the outside of the mechanism and you will find a hole where that big black screw goes.
Regards,

Re: Fixing the underside of a "concert stool" bench? [Re: Ed Foote] #2801090
01/12/19 02:01 AM
01/12/19 02:01 AM
New York
Mark_C Online content OP

New York
Originally Posted by Ed Foote
That screw has a place in the mechanism. Each of the cross rods has a screw in each end, and there are two that tie the diagonals together. Feel around the outside of the mechanism and you will find a hole where that big black screw goes.

Well, you 'inspired' me (provoked?) grin to take a look, and actually it was pretty easy to find where it goes, and luckily it happened to be in a far easier place to work on than the other screws.

Done.
Thanks! smile

Re: Fixing the underside of a "concert stool" bench? [Re: Mark_C] #2801240
01/12/19 12:45 PM
01/12/19 12:45 PM
Tennessee
E
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ed Foote  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E

Tennessee
s.[/quote]
Well, you 'inspired' me (provoked?) grin to take a look, and actually it was pretty easy to find where it goes, and luckily it happened to be in a far easier place to work on than the other screws.

Thanks! smile[/quote]

All of the shoulder bolts on the Jansen benches also have locking hex screws. If they are not secured, the bolts will most certainly work their way back out. I have bushings if you want to take the thing apart and replace them. It takes me about 18 minutes, but a beginner would need an hour. The procedure is basic, and you don't disassemble the scissor mechanism so much as take it out of the stool in one piece and slip new bushings on the ends of the rods.
Regards,

Also, an addition. The bench mechanism pictured is NOT a Jansen. It has smaller brackets, and looks to be built somewhat lighter.

Last edited by Ed Foote; 01/12/19 12:50 PM.
Re: Fixing the underside of a "concert stool" bench? [Re: Ed Foote] #2801417
01/12/19 09:36 PM
01/12/19 09:36 PM
New York
Mark_C Online content OP

New York
Originally Posted by Ed Foote
All of the shoulder bolts on the Jansen benches also have locking hex screws. If they are not secured, the bolts will most certainly work their way back out. I have bushings if you want to take the thing apart and replace them. It takes me about 18 minutes, but a beginner would need an hour. The procedure is basic, and you don't disassemble the scissor mechanism so much as take it out of the stool in one piece and slip new bushings on the ends of the rods.
Regards,

Also, an addition. The bench mechanism pictured is NOT a Jansen. It has smaller brackets, and looks to be built somewhat lighter.

Thank you again. I'll be leaving it as-is for now -- it's in better shape than it had been in years, and maybe ever, because I may have made those bolts tighter than they ever were. Of course I'll keep this in mind as it goes along; maybe also I'll mention it all to my tech.

I'm not surprised that the image I showed isn't a Jansen. Once I started doing the work and looking more closely at the pic, I could see that there were differences.

Re: Fixing the underside of a "concert stool" bench? [Re: Mark_C] #2801436
01/13/19 12:12 AM
01/13/19 12:12 AM
Kuwait
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Kuwait
I put a thread locking agent on the bolts in mine. Also I keep them lightly lubricated, which helps a lot.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Concerns about buying the MP11SE due to possible MIDI issues
by Scriavel Bachmanin. 01/17/19 05:14 PM
Debussy plays Clair de Lune
by prout. 01/17/19 05:11 PM
Yamaha P-255 to P-515?
by MegaPiano. 01/17/19 03:56 PM
Roland Keyboard with Alexa Voice Control?
by JohnSprung. 01/17/19 03:49 PM
Time for first tuning?
by mackguy. 01/17/19 12:47 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,627
Posts2,782,878
Members92,143
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission