2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 36 of 46 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 45 46
J
J

Here's a new demo of the new Roland's recorded externally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz5fzWVOll0

Roland LX708 charcoal
P
pwl Online Content
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
50/50 mix of line out and microphone, right?

T
T
Did anyone else receive their roland LX700 piano? smile I'm really curious to hear some more oppinions on it! I'm still yet on my way of trying the app, but other than that, I find that European Grand V2 is my main piano to go for playing Yann Tiersen/ Ludovico Einaudi type of music. To me it seems like european v2 should have been the default piano sound, with a LOT more expression on it.

I'm curious if any of you think otherwise, and if you wind some piano designer settings which makes the piano sound even better. smile Happy New Year everyone

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile
Criticism is welcomed since it helps improving and going forward!

Yamaha P-105 -> Roland HP-605 -> Roland LX708
J
J

tudor33sud: I'm still waiting for mine. But I do have a question for you. Roland's official LX708 demo (Moonlight Sonata 3rd movement) sounds great for the lows and highs, but the mid sounds too metallic and no depth. Other demos recorded with line out where not so pronounced but I still hear it. Do you experience that with headphones? I don't remember ever hearing that metallic sound in real life. Anyway using piano designer to soften the sound? In particular which setting? That's probably the first thing I'll tweak when listening to headphones.

TIA!

Roland LX708 charcoal
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I have been pleased with the lx708. Haven't messed around with settings, only with different stages.

T
T
Originally Posted by jjRoland

tudor33sud: I'm still waiting for mine. But I do have a question for you. Roland's official LX708 demo (Moonlight Sonata 3rd movement) sounds great for the lows and highs, but the mid sounds too metallic and no depth. Other demos recorded with line out where not so pronounced but I still hear it. Do you experience that with headphones? I don't remember ever hearing that metallic sound in real life. Anyway using piano designer to soften the sound? In particular which setting? That's probably the first thing I'll tweak when listening to headphones.

TIA!

Honestly, it's really subjective discussing about metallic sound. At least on speakers, I find the sound to be really close to an acoustic, and first time I played on it I got some chills as if I was playing to a grand. The action is simply right there, and I would suggest for the first playing, crank the volume to like 65, and try playing default grand, and then switch to european V2. European V2 really seems the real deal..

The metallic sound though I didn't notice it at all, I really dig Roland's piano sounds, but this is very subjective. Hearing pianos on Youtube, I always liked how a Yamaha sounded on demo, but in real life, Roland seemed way ahead to me. The level of expression you will get on the 708 will not dissapoint you, I'm pretty sure. However, previously owning a hp 605, I can tell you that the new series it's a little bit harder in terms of playability, since each subtle change you will make to your playing will easily be noticed, and this will automatically boost your attention to details. ( as you would do on any acoustic ) I think this is a nice feature to have, since expressing yourself is how you would expect.

For piano designer, I was just curious if someone played with it. For me, I just opened the lid a little bit more than default, added some more duplex scaling intensity and some more hammer noise. Other than that, I use pretty much the stock sound.

EDIT:

I think you should listen to this video, and especially listen the difference between european grand 1 and 2. You have the specific times in the video description. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpJ8V6Z6oeY

Last edited by tudor33sud; 01/10/19 07:18 AM.

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Oh you missed my topic tudor33sud- I got my LX-708 around 20th of December 2018. I've wrote a bit about it here: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2793854/roland-lx-708.html#Post2793854
Unfortunately I received it broken and since then Roland still "thinks" how to deal with it. I should get answer by tomorrow. Anyway you can check out the topic I've linked.
About the sound. Mids are the weakest part of it as usual in Rolands(Casio GP400 with Berling Grand sound is better IMO) but it is still improved than on previous series and it has it's charms. Also low and high register is AWESOME so it kinda compensates smile
All I can write for now is that for me this is probably the best sounding digital I've played. Not completely sure about keyboard since my unit is broken but there are some pretty noisy keys. But it might be due to the damage. Gonna get back to proper testing and recording after I'll have fully working unit. Until then sound is the thing I can describe in most detail to you all.

Roland LX708
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Mids are the Achilles' heel of modeled pianos. Nobody could solve that so far, including 70X series of Roland frown

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Mids are the Achilles' heel of modeled pianos. Nobody could solve that so far, including 70X series of Roland frown

Unfortunately true. But as I've wrote those mids are still pretty good on LX70X series. Especially with their sound behaviour.

Roland LX708
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
What soundboard are you playing on? At 65 volume on sb1 (default) I sense the volume is too low.

T
T
I'm always playing on the default soundboard ( which is 1 as far as i ve seen ) . 65-70 is the right volume for my room ( it's a 17-18 square meters room ) and european grand 2 really goes loud. European grand 1 seems to me that it's limited in dynamics for what I like to do, and also notice that at the same level of volume, the european ground 2 will sound much much bigger. Please also try to adjust key touch to 46 instead of 50 as default. You should get a really nice round sound.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I play on 85 volume with EG and default soundboard and touch. Seems ok for me, even for smaller room, neighbours might have different opinion though wink

Roland LX708
T
T
that should be really loud though! :)) After changing piano to LX 708, both my upper and lower neighbours told me what did I do, and also that they are listening to me playing. I can't say I'm too happy about it, since sometimes I just mess around and doing silly chords =))

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by tudor33sud

I think you should listen to this video, and especially listen the difference between european grand 1 and 2. You have the specific times in the video description. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpJ8V6Z6oeY

These sounded much better than the LX708 I played! Certainly able to notice the difference between the 4. Perhaps I and/or the piano were having a bad day - of maybe the room acoustics killed it all.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I also use 85 setting for volume and think 90 is also ok. However, on sb3, it is much too loud. On LX17,65-70 sounded as loud as 85-90 on lx708 to me.

T
T
I have a question though for you
Originally Posted by Nordomus
Oh you missed my topic tudor33sud- I got my LX-708 around 20th of December 2018. I've wrote a bit about it here: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2793854/roland-lx-708.html#Post2793854
Unfortunately I received it broken and since then Roland still "thinks" how to deal with it. I should get answer by tomorrow. Anyway you can check out the topic I've linked.
About the sound. Mids are the weakest part of it as usual in Rolands(Casio GP400 with Berling Grand sound is better IMO) but it is still improved than on previous series and it has it's charms. Also low and high register is AWESOME so it kinda compensates smile
All I can write for now is that for me this is probably the best sounding digital I've played. Not completely sure about keyboard since my unit is broken but there are some pretty noisy keys. But it might be due to the damage. Gonna get back to proper testing and recording after I'll have fully working unit. Until then sound is the thing I can describe in most detail to you all.

What happened to you it's so unfortunate.. I'm really sorry to hear about it!

I didn't manage to test casio at all, since how other people said those are pretty rare to find. However, I remember trying a Kawai CA-98, Yamaha CLP 675, and I must say that Roland always comes up better for my ears.:) I agree that mids can sound thin for some ( however, I think European V2 is almost perfect in that regard ), but the modeling technology wins for me for being SO expressive. Don't you have the feeling that the LX708 really sings? I'm getting goosebumps at times while playing different pieces, and you can really effectively get out your emotions as a player. Did you get the same feeling in terms of sound?

Related to keys, I think they did a pretty good job with the noise this time. At my HP605 I always needed to crank up the volume really high in order to reduce the sound of the keyboard.. I was always hearing it and it was somehow unpleasant while playing on speakers, distracting. On LX708 I don't notice it anymore while playing.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
How would you describe as the difference you hear between European v1 and v2? I find it hard to distinguish between them. For the american, v1 and v2 are easily distinguishable, but not so much with the European. Maybe its just me.

T
T
Originally Posted by Grandman
How would you describe as the difference you hear between European v1 and v2? I find it hard to distinguish between them. For the american, v1 and v2 are easily distinguishable, but not so much with the European. Maybe its just me.

European V2 for me it's MUCH fuller, and also seems to have higher sensitivity to the pressure I put in. When I play europe 1, I tend to easily achieve the maximum "volume" of notes, and even if I press harder you cannot make a difference. I would compare this to having 4 layers of sounds in European V1, and in european V2 I can go up to 8..something like that. I always know that if I'm going to press a key harder in European V2 you will feel it in the sound.

The pallete seems broader from piano to fff. Also, the mids sound to me richer and more complex, kind of like a Bosendorfer type of sound, while the European V1 seems limited. I would say European V1 fits classical music more, while European V2 lets you play Ludovico Einaudi music for example with much more expression. How I noticed the big difference, was playing a piece on European V2, and after playing a certain part, replay it with European V1. For me it's like I limited the previous piano in volume and expression, and it even sounds as if it lacks treble. Sorry, I find it hard to explain it better! laugh

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Ok I've tried EG v2 for longer time and you might be right. Actually almost all people say EG v2 is better, I wonder why it is v2 then smile
I like both EG v1 and v2 might lean towards the second though smile They are both sweet and yeah modelled Rolands DO sing. I'm still not sure why is that, because I've tested very deeply all of the top digital pianos and the all seem to have all resonance and similar decay time. It's probably because of soundboard simulation. Also I think other pianos do not completely simulate sympathethic resonances.

Roland LX708
T
T
Hello back everyone!

I just wanted to share with you something nice that I just discovered. I'm not quite sure now if stock EG V2 is best for me through speakers or not, since I've found a new setup which seems highly realistic to my ears. Through the headphones it doesn't sound as good as from the speaker, however I suggest for LX708 owners to try it.

The setup would be to use European Grand V1, brilliance set to +1, hammer sound +2, duplex scale +4 , lid to 5, and the most important settings would be to change SOUNDBOARD to 5. I find soundboard 5 to be highly expressive and the volume of the notes is heavenly, it's like it blows your ears if you press to hard. My reference volume was set to 60 while trying it, since it's pretty boomy.

Let me know if you guys think the same thing about it, and happy playing smile

Page 36 of 46 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission