Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
120 registered members (8ude, Avalanch, Animisha, astrotoy, Abdol, anotherscott, accordeur, akc42, 37 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Drop of motivation [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2800310
01/09/19 09:36 PM
01/09/19 09:36 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by CadenzaVvi
@Thyrone
Yup, exactly like that. Less series and gaming during the week. If I'm too tired to play the piano, maybe I should simply go to bed (I never want to go to bed at 7pm even though I can be pretty tired. I feel like I'm wasting my evening. But listening to series is another way of wasting an evening... and I haven't thought of it this way before yesterday. That should changes things up a bit).

I assume you already know that without enough sleep efficient learning is not happening. When I found it difficult to practice after long days at work I taught myself to go to bed early and got up earlier to practice every morning. It wasn't easy, I have always been a late night person. But sleeping too little was also not an option because I could not handle the responsibilities at work without enough sleep. It took weeks to get used to it but it can be done. And those morning practices probably saved my playing at some point...

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Drop of motivation [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2800321
01/09/19 10:32 PM
01/09/19 10:32 PM
R
Richrf Offline
500 Post Club Member
Richrf  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

@Richrf (adding this line since Thyrone posted while I was writing this)
I think we simply don't see piano practice the same way. The exams are not the problem, are not the cause of my lack of motivation, and not doing exams doesn't make piano practice effortless for me.

I feel like you transpose what you are experiencing at the piano on me, but I'm not experiencing the same, so it doesn't connect to me.

Taking exams or not won't change my motivation. So I don't see how it should solve my problem.

You quoted my entire post, so I'm not sure exactly to which parts you are referring as "knowing the problem" and "not wanting to change".
Because you continue to point out the problem as being the exams, whereas it's not what I'm saying and it's not how I feel about them.

You are correct. Totally different experiences. I am never lacking motivation, because no motivation is needed. I play music when I feel like it and I don't when I don't feel like it. No problems because no goals.

Re: Drop of motivation [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800324
01/09/19 10:38 PM
01/09/19 10:38 PM
R
Richrf Offline
500 Post Club Member
Richrf  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I feel like you transpose what you are experiencing at the piano on me, but I'm not experiencing the same, so it doesn't connect to me.

100% agree! We seem to live in a world, and some of us in a specific country, where it seems increasingly hard for people to understand and empathize with the perspective of others. To take a perspective is to be able to look at things from a point of view other than our own, and it brings in the mindfulness of compassion and empathy to our relationships. Perspective taking starts with the realization that people are not all just clones of oneself. That what is true for oneself may not be true for another person. What is best for the self might not be best for someone else.

You're wrong. I totally understand those who need to take exams to be motivated. Perspective needs to be changed, but if you wish to maintain your perspective them you'll have to deal with the problems caused by the perspective. You can't have your cake and eat it. But if one wishes to maintain the same path, that's fine. The music industry is riddled with casualties of its methods. I believe most students quit within a couple of years. People only maintain hobbies that they enjoy.

Re: Drop of motivation [Re: Richrf] #2800326
01/09/19 10:59 PM
01/09/19 10:59 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by Richrf

100% agree! We seem to live in a world, and some of us in a specific country, where it seems increasingly hard for people to understand and empathize with the perspective of others. To take a perspective is to be able to look at things from a point of view other than our own, and it brings in the mindfulness of compassion and empathy to our relationships. Perspective taking starts with the realization that people are not all just clones of oneself. That what is true for oneself may not be true for another person. What is best for the self might not be best for someone else.

You're wrong. I totally understand those who need to take exams to be motivated. Perspective needs to be changed, but if you wish to maintain your perspective them you'll have to deal with the problems caused by the perspective. You can't have your cake and eat it. But if one wishes to maintain the same path, that's fine. The music industry is riddled with casualties of its methods. I believe most students quit within a couple of years. People only maintain hobbies that they enjoy.

But it is quite obvious that people enjoy different things within the same hobbies. Some people enjoy solving problems and even hardship whether caused by themselves or not. The occasional drop of motivation can reflect one's personality as much as the chosen path. I have noticed that every time I achieve something big, I easily enter a state of lazyness and the longer I let myself stay in it, the less motivation I have to get back into the activity. It makes no difference whether the activity itself is enjoyable. I just happen to enjoy doing nothing as much smile

Re: Drop of motivation [Re: outo] #2800330
01/09/19 11:35 PM
01/09/19 11:35 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by outo
But it is quite obvious that people enjoy different things within the same hobbies. Some people enjoy solving problems and even hardship whether caused by themselves or not. The occasional drop of motivation can reflect one's personality as much as the chosen path. I have noticed that every time I achieve something big, I easily enter a state of lazyness and the longer I let myself stay in it, the less motivation I have to get back into the activity. It makes no difference whether the activity itself is enjoyable. I just happen to enjoy doing nothing as much smile

I agree as there is always an opportunity cost for every activity we engage in. When I'm playing piano, then this carves away at the time I have to play video games, read, watch an opera. If I play video games, this carves away at the time I have for piano, reading, etc. If I read boring "easy" books that don't make me think or hold my interest, I lose interest and rather play the piano or play a video game - Reading, in this case, has a higher cost than the alternatives. If I am not challenged at piano, I get bored and rather play a video game - piano then has the higher cost. The idea that one should be able to enjoy an activity even if one changes one's goals and approach in that activity doesn't take into account that in the modern world, we always have alternatives for almost every activity we do for recreation or pleasure. While I am changing my goals and approach for one activity, the costs of the others don't change, and one of the alternatives may suddenly become more attractive than the present activity.

I know some people, including my spouse, are different than this, but this is how I have been wired and this is how I work. If I don't get a charge out of what I am doing, I will likely go do something else that I get a charge out of...

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Drop of motivation [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2800338
01/10/19 12:13 AM
01/10/19 12:13 AM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline OP
CadenzaVvi  Offline OP

Quebec city, QC
Ok, in order laugh.

@Moo

That might be true. One thing that amuses me is that the Chopin's waltz you posted is actually ranked level 9 in the ranking system of my exam, whereas the C#m nocturne is ranked level 8. We all know ranking is subjective to some point, so that doesn't surprise me. But I'm not sure that this waltz is really easier than the nocturne. wink
For now (like today, short term), I don't feel like changing my repertoire (except the Beethoven's that I haven't started yet) BUT it is clear in my mind that, if I do my level 8 exam this year, I won't take my level 9 next year and take some more time to practice things between level 6 and 8 (probably). I had some vacation, I'm a little bit more rested than 2 months ago, I'm hoping that will allow me to go back, to some extend, to my previous practice routine and be able to do something good with those pieces. If that doesn't happen, I'll see with my teacher what is the best course of action.

@outo

Yes I know. It is like the difference between knowing exercice is good for your health and actually exercice... I know. I now have to act accordingly. As far as I can remember, I've always been a night owl, so it is hard to change. But that realization (watching TV is not a fulfilling activity) will help me go in the right direction to refrain myself from losing my time when I could go get some well needed sleep.

@Richrf

I have the impression you still don't understand. I don't need exams to be motivated.
But overall, my relation to the piano is very different than yours.
And what you suggest (that I change my "perspective") is in fact asking that I change the elements that bring me to the piano in the first place.

It's like I was eating a fruit salad and told you I was disappointed because there was no pineapple and that I love pineapple, and you'd answer me I should try to prefer cherries instead. I like cherries, but I prefer pineapple, and I can't try to prefer something else. This is what I like.
It is okay if one day, my taste changes and that I come to like cherries more. This day, I will act accordingly, putting more cherries in my fruit salad if I make one (or stop taking exams, to go out of this comparison). But for now, I will put pineapple over cherries (or will prefer pursuing concrete goals). That's okay. My tastes have changed in the past and they surely will change in the future. But right now, they are what they are and I don't see why I should prefer other things.

@outo

I know that feeling. smile
Often in the past, I had evenings where I had no motivation for the piano and, if I had simply listen to myself, would have done nothing worthy of my time. But I forced myself on my bench... only to realize I was still there 2 hours later.
And this is part of the reason I think I should continue pushing myself. The work is not always fun on the short term, but I've always enjoyed the results. And for more results (and satisfaction), I need to put more work (I mean... not like "I should play more every day" but like "I should continue practicing so I continue making progress"). I'll be so happy when I'll be able to play that Nocturne, that Debussy, that... when I'll have overcome some more challenges. Then new challenges will seem possible to overcome as well and I'll continue my progress. I think it never ends, which is a good thing.

I've once read, and I love that sentence: The human perfection is to always be able to perfect himself. (loose translation; in French, it goes this way : La perfection de l'homme tient à sa perfectibilité.)
We often say that the human can't be perfect. I agree. But it is beautiful to see that we can always become a better person, we can always improve.

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Mozart, K545, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
- Pozzoli, E.R. 427, etude no. 6
Re: Drop of motivation [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2800444
01/10/19 10:21 AM
01/10/19 10:21 AM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
First off …. I have not read through this entire thread so if I repeat what someone else already suggested …. sorry, my bad.

I would suggest you change your focus from your RATE OF PROGRESS to letting progress happen naturally.

How does that work ?

Well …. play things that you enjoy playing as a means of solidifying the skills you are developing.

And then, periodically work on something that is just a tiny bit challenging (not overwhelming).

And work on it a tiny bit each day and then go back to the music you can play.

In other words …. try to relax and enjoy your time at the piano.

If you are not looking forward to your time at the piano, it is because you have made a "chore" out of it. Stop doing that.

You do not have to become a great pianist.

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: Drop of motivation [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2800445
01/10/19 10:24 AM
01/10/19 10:24 AM
D
dumka1 Online content
dumka1  Online Content
D

Hi CadenzaVi, I understand very well that exams are important to you as an opportunity to share the music you are working on, among other things (such as providing structure, motivation, etc.). I can see how just working on pieces without any performance goals can become discouraging (I personally feel the same, although I did have a stage in my piano studies when I was perfectly happy with just working on some pieces, taking them to a decent level, and moving on). It's too bad your teacher doesn't do recitals, so I would suggest looking for some additional performance opportunities (not to replace the exams but to broaden your options)--such as a local piano club, piano parties, etc. This way you can perform your favorite pieces more than once and also hopefully find a community of like-minded adult amateurs (outside the online forum). You might check out the "meetup" groups online and see if something is happening in your area or just ask around (your teacher might know other interested adults). This can really boost your motivation and also help you with the exams. The more you play for people in different settings, on different pianos, etc., the better you'll deal with the stress of performing at the exams. Besides, it's nice to be able to play for people without being formally evaluated at the same time. This is just a suggestion based on my own experience. Bonne chance!

Re: Drop of motivation [Re: outo] #2800465
01/10/19 11:15 AM
01/10/19 11:15 AM
R
Richrf Offline
500 Post Club Member
Richrf  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

The problem is exactly as the OP described it. Exams are the motivation. There is a drop in motivation (in exams). I understand. Exams, after a while get boring. My suggestion is use the creation of music as a motivation.

There are many, many casualties of the music industry's methods, where people are taught exams as goals as opposed to just enjoying the music.

My friend's son studied piano his whole life to get into Oberlin Conservatory. He was accepted with a full scholarship. After his first semester he quit and switched to another school to learn computer programming. He had achieved his goal and that was that. He lost all motivation because Oberlin was his goal not the music. True story.

Last edited by Richrf; 01/10/19 11:18 AM.
Re: Drop of motivation [Re: Richrf] #2800494
01/10/19 12:14 PM
01/10/19 12:14 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland

The problem is exactly as the OP described it. Exams are the motivation. There is a drop in motivation (in exams). I understand. Exams, after a while get boring. My suggestion is use the creation of music as a motivation.

There are many, many casualties of the music industry's methods, where people are taught exams as goals as opposed to just enjoying the music.

No doubt, but I have also seen cases where trying to enjoy music only led into learning almost nothing and so the enjoyment was very limited and ultimately became boring as well.

I am all for balance and flexibility according to one's own wants and needs. I do not share the belief that results are only possible by going through a set route and having to endure things you have no interest for. Never did that and I think I can play the piano to some satisfaction. But I also do not think that going by feeling and creativity alone will work with an average student. My personal way has been a mixture of creativity and personal ways in working methods and discipline and structure in applying them. I do not think this would be for everyone either. Much of my enjoyment comes from discovery through trial and error, it's fun to see what works and what not and the see where things can be applied...

Re: Drop of motivation [Re: outo] #2800499
01/10/19 12:24 PM
01/10/19 12:24 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

5000 Post Club Member

I do not share the belief that results are only possible by going through a set route and having to endure things you have no interest for. Never did that and I think I can play the piano to some satisfaction. But I also do not think that going by feeling and creativity alone will work with an average student. My personal way has been a mixture of creativity and personal ways in working methods and discipline and structure in applying them. I do not think this would be for everyone either. Much of my enjoyment comes from discovery through trial and error, it's fun to see what works and what not and the see where things can be applied...

Complete agree. We all have our own goes and nongoals (I am thinking of the "unschooling" movement now) and what works and is brilliant for one is a complete dud for another. I've had a friend try to teach me meditation because he thought that would help me. It does not. It makes me more anxious. We don't live in a one-size-fits-all world and I absolutely do not agree that there is a single "shining path" to happiness/fulfillment.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Drop of motivation [Re: outo] #2800519
01/10/19 12:51 PM
01/10/19 12:51 PM
R
Richrf Offline
500 Post Club Member
Richrf  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

No doubt, but I have also seen cases where trying to enjoy music only led into learning almost nothing and so the enjoyment was very limited and ultimately became boring as well.

Every time the body touches the instrument it is learning something new - touch, hearing, taste, etc. However, the mind may become bored and then the search for a new taste begins. I am constantly moving from one hobby too another and from each I learn something new which teaches me something new about all my hobbies and life in general. Ultimately it is all about experimentation, creativity, and evolution of the mind. The trick is to maintain movement and not to get stuck.

Re: Drop of motivation [Re: Richrf] #2800529
01/10/19 01:21 PM
01/10/19 01:21 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
I am constantly moving from one hobby too another and from each I learn something new which teaches me something new about all my hobbies and life in general.

That is because you have not established any level of competence you wish to reach in any of those hobbies. You are happy just experiencing things and when you no longer are interested in a particular area you move on.

That is fine. You are happy with that and will probably continue with that style as long as it stimulates and satisfies you. Nothng wrong with that, in fact, there is a lot RIGHT about that.

I have a different goal. I wish to be able to play jazz standards (ballads) with a chorus of improvisation mixed in. So, my time at the piano is spent with improving skills that seem to be a part of that type of playing. Not all my time is on that. I sometimes pick a classical piece and work with that for a bit ...not to perfection but until I tire of the effort. Then back to jazz standard type things.

Now, through all of this …. there is no sense of urgency. I get as far as I get with no timetable. So, I do not need to "work hard" to make faster progress. I do not need to make a chore of my time at the piano. There is no hurry. If I never play a jazz standard from beginning to end with a chorus of improv, it does not matter. The joy is in the daily effort and feeling the sense of improvement here and there. NO HURRY !!!

Now, on the other hand ….. If one wishes to reach a certain level of competence with some particular type of music within a certain time period …. then, that method will probably not work. Then, you probably will need to follow some time-tested method of getting there and your time at the piano will not be as carefree. You need to reach a particular level of competency in order to reach your goal and that will include doing things at the piano that (at times) will be …. let's say …. less than enjoyable. Unfortunately, that is the price you pay for the goal you have set.

You make the choice. You set the goal.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: Drop of motivation [Re: dmd] #2800570
01/10/19 03:30 PM
01/10/19 03:30 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by dmd
I am constantly moving from one hobby too another and from each I learn something new which teaches me something new about all my hobbies and life in general.

That is because you have not established any level of competence you wish to reach in any of those hobbies. You are happy just experiencing things and when you no longer are interested in a particular area you move on.

That is fine. You are happy with that and will probably continue with that style as long as it stimulates and satisfies you. Nothng wrong with that, in fact, there is a lot RIGHT about that.

I have a different goal. I wish to be able to play jazz standards (ballads) with a chorus of improvisation mixed in. So, my time at the piano is spent with improving skills that seem to be a part of that type of playing. Not all my time is on that. I sometimes pick a classical piece and work with that for a bit ...not to perfection but until I tire of the effort. Then back to jazz standard type things.

Now, through all of this …. there is no sense of urgency. I get as far as I get with no timetable. So, I do not need to "work hard" to make faster progress. I do not need to make a chore of my time at the piano. There is no hurry. If I never play a jazz standard from beginning to end with a chorus of improv, it does not matter. The joy is in the daily effort and feeling the sense of improvement here and there. NO HURRY !!!

Now, on the other hand ….. If one wishes to reach a certain level of competence with some particular type of music within a certain time period …. then, that method will probably not work. Then, you probably will need to follow some time-tested method of getting there and your time at the piano will not be as carefree. You need to reach a particular level of competency in order to reach your goal and that will include doing things at the piano that (at times) will be …. let's say …. less than enjoyable. Unfortunately, that is the price you pay for the goal you have set.

You make the choice. You set the goal.

How do you know that he hasn't reached any level of competence? That is such a unsound statement.

[Linked Image]
Re: Drop of motivation [Re: NobleHouse] #2800586
01/10/19 04:17 PM
01/10/19 04:17 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
How do you know that he hasn't reached any level of competence? That is such a unsound statement.

Where did I say "hasn't reached" any level of confidence ?

If you check you will see that I said "hasn't established" (i.e. SET) any level of competence.

I could be wrong about that …. but I doubt it, judging by his willingness to just meander from hobby to hobby as his interest wanes.

Now, if that is something you wish to argue about. Have at it.

Doesn't matter to me one way or another it he has or has not established a level of competence.

It just seemed apparent, to me.

So, I said it.

If it is important to you to determine whether I am right or not, ask Rich.

Don

Re: Drop of motivation [Re: dmd] #2800630
01/10/19 06:00 PM
01/10/19 06:00 PM
R
Richrf Offline
500 Post Club Member
Richrf  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

Where did I say "hasn't reached" any level of confidence ?

If you check you will see that I said "hasn't established" (i.e. SET) any level of competence.

I could be wrong about that …. but I doubt it, judging by his willingness to just meander from hobby to hobby as his interest wanes.

Now, if that is something you wish to argue about. Have at it.

Doesn't matter to me one way or another it he has or has not established a level of competence.

It just seemed apparent, to me.

So, I said it.

If it is important to you to determine whether I am right or not, ask Rich.

We all have a lot to learn.

As for my "level of competence", I have no idea what that absurd concept means, but what I can say without hesitation and with 100% confidence is that I enjoy to no end every moment I spend at the piano and the music I create.

Re: Drop of motivation [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2800636
01/10/19 06:18 PM
01/10/19 06:18 PM
Owen Sound, Ontario
G
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
Greener  Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

2000 Post Club Member
G

Owen Sound, Ontario
You've gone further, faster then most people. Cut yourself some slack.

There is something concerning about your music having no meaning unless you can perform it for someone else to appreciate. Also, statements like ... I'll be happy when ...

Change in routine isn't the answer, but a change in perspective is needed. When no longer looking for anything other then right now or our ideal place to be, we can be happy and at ease with what we've got. All of it. Not just the good, but all of it. Happiness is a state of mind that can only happen in the present. Conquering another Nocturne is no solution.

Re: Drop of motivation [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2800717
01/10/19 11:43 PM
01/10/19 11:43 PM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline OP
CadenzaVvi  Offline OP

Quebec city, QC
Well, saying that "music has no meaning if I can't perform" might be an overstatement, but I felt like something was missing in my first 1,5 year at the piano, and that something was the option to play for others. Art is made to be shared. It is not vain in itself, but it is so much more when you can share it. Why write a book if not to be read by someone? Why paint a painting if no to be seen by anyone? Why to play music if not to be heard by anyone?

I know not all people feel the need to play for others. I know the anxiety and all the stuff. But for me, just practicing for myself is not enough. On the long run, even though I enjoy it, there is something missing. And I feel like it should be understandable.
There are loads of writers, painters, singers, musicians that do what they do so they can be read, seen, heard, and that wouldn't do it otherwise. It seems like something perfectly reasonable and normal (the contrary is not "not normal". Don't make me say what I didn't).

And I don't recall ever saying something like "I'll be happy when".
I consider myself as being happy overall, but I'm disappointed with my "piano life" right now and I want that to improve and be fulfilling again.

I really thought I'd find people who understands me in here, since we are all amateur pianists and most of us must have went through some discouragement periods.
But I realize that many people don't feel the way I do. Which is perfectly fine and, in fact, it is interesting to see the variety of approaches.
(I appreciate less when I'm told that my point of view is wrong, though).

-

Anyway, at first, I wanted to come here to share my happiness of the night. I had my first lesson of 2019 tonight. It went pretty much as usual. I was a little bit disappointed of myself because I haven't practice much since our last lesson, but didn't want to cancel.
There is not much to be said about the lesson. It went smoothly and there wasn't anything out of the ordinary. After the lesson, as usual, I stayed at the conservatory, in the practice room, to take some notes about the lesson. Then I've stayed to practice. And, to my surprise, considering how tired I was, I stayed there for 1h45. I've only practiced the first page of my Debussy, often in very short sections at a time. Nothing to make me feel like I was kind of playing the piece.
But, in the end, when I realized the time it was, I stood up, took my scores smiling and feeling so serene. Previously, I was feeling like this almost every time after a practice session (not always. We all have bad days). But I hadn't had that feeling in a few months. I feel just so good right now!

I texted my teacher just because I told him a bit about what I was going through in one lesson in December, and he asked me if I still liked playing piano. There was no doubt for me that the answer was yes, even though the motivation and energy wasn't there. And I wanted him to know that tonight, our lesson really made me feel good (in the past, I was often invigorated from my lessons. It gave me ideas on how to continue improving and willingness to but the advice into practice. This is in part what happened tonight. And I know my teacher sometimes doubt of himself, feeling he is too punctilious. But it's one of the reason I like him. He is thorough.).

Let's hope it will continue tomorrow!

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Mozart, K545, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
- Pozzoli, E.R. 427, etude no. 6
Re: Drop of motivation [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2800738
01/11/19 03:23 AM
01/11/19 03:23 AM
India
Tech-key Offline
Tech-key  Offline

India
Hey Cadenza,

It's good to hear that you are getting your mojo back! You are a big inspiration for beginners like me.

You've done fantastically well in the last 2 years. Once we do so well, nothing below that standard is satisfying to the self. Hence we keep pushing and pushing to maintain that. This is something that a colleague and I often discussed at work. It's extremely difficult to constantly maintain the high standards we set for ourselves, without burning out. So don't take it too hard. Your love for the piano is very apparent, and sooner or later, the 'old spark' will return.

Reading your last post made me very happy. Inspiration comes in waves. Hopefully, a crest is just round the corner..

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: Drop of motivation [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2800753
01/11/19 06:07 AM
01/11/19 06:07 AM
Cumbria, England
elenmirie Offline
elenmirie  Offline

Cumbria, England
After the lesson, as usual, I stayed at the conservatory, in the practice room, to take some notes about the lesson. Then I've stayed to practice. And, to my surprise, considering how tired I was, I stayed there for 1h45. I've only practiced the first page of my Debussy, often in very short sections at a time. Nothing to make me feel like I was kind of playing the piece.
But, in the end, when I realized the time it was, I stood up, took my scores smiling and feeling so serene. Previously, I was feeling like this almost every time after a practice session (not always. We all have bad days). But I hadn't had that feeling in a few months. I feel just so good right now!

[...]

Let's hope it will continue tomorrow!

That makes me very, very happy for you! You were in flow on that practice session... there's nothing so satisfying as that.

When I spotted your thread today, I read "drop of motivation" more like "drop of water", if that makes sense. As in, put a drop of motivation in a glass of time and see what happens... then I clicked on it and read that, fantastic.

What do you think was the difference that made the difference?

Q: Am I late beginner, or early intermediate? A: Yes!

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. ~ Henry Van Dyke
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Apps and MIDI Comtrollers for a Yamaha P115
by Rick.Prenzl. 07/16/19 07:50 AM
Yamaha YDP-164
by Avalanch. 07/16/19 07:10 AM
Caramoor Festival - Messaien
by LXXXVIIIdentes. 07/16/19 01:07 AM
Verituner for Android
by Vlad Ants. 07/15/19 10:24 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,029
Posts2,848,966
Members93,895
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission