2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,669 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
I'm in your practice room right now. Sound is globally fine. There are some cuts and it sometimes saturates a bit, so there could be a little bit of fine tuning. But I would say it is far from mandatory, considering the principal purpose of those rooms. smile It is not to take a recording of the people.

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Mozart, K545, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
- Pozzoli, E.R. 427, etude no. 6
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Good to know, thanks. Maybe reducing the mic volume will help with the saturation. Not sure yet what to do about the notes cutting out. I'll have to play around with the settings more. smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Not sure yet what to do about the notes cutting out. I'll have to play around with the settings more. smile

If you listen to some of the Discord Pinano biweekly recital recordings, you might notice that some people almost cut out all the time and others don't cut out at all. I suspect that it is a configuration/settings issue. Might also be hardware (computer) or Internet, though, or some combo. Googling on internet for Discord settings and cutting out might also review what the best settings are.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
It wasn't cutting often, so it is really not that bad. smile

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Mozart, K545, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
- Pozzoli, E.R. 427, etude no. 6
Good to know, thanks. Maybe reducing the mic volume will help with the saturation. Not sure yet what to do about the notes cutting out. I'll have to play around with the settings more. smile

I listened to your practice through the web-based DiscordApp in Firefox.

When the sound was getting through, the tone was excellent quality, better than many Youtube videos. I could clearly hear nice sustain in your piano when you played Fur Elise. The dynamic range was very compressed, no difference in volume between p and f, but because of very good tone reproduction one could make a decent guess. But you were getting cut off during pauses. It was both clearly audible and visible by the green ring disappearing from around your avatar.

Your sound was better than average, some of the practice rooms sounds were hardly recognizable as a piano. In other people were practicing on acoustics with a monster reverberation. There was a girl with a cold making pauses to blow her nose and she wasn't cutting out during her pauses.

Looking at the setting in the DiscordApp in Firefox there seems to be a choice for Input Mode between "Voice Activity" and "Push to talk". Maybe the latter can be made to work more reliably than the former by putting some weight on the key used to enable the input?

Have fun, all of you! I'm not likely to venture to Discord soon, it has way too much "bad part of the town" vibe for me.

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 90125
I'm not likely to venture to Discord soon, it has way too much "bad part of the town" vibe for me.

I wish the bad parts of my town were inhabited by people with pianos and learning to play the piano! cool Obviously some people's "bad parts of town" are other people's "good parts of town" grin

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I wish the bad parts of my town were inhabited by people with pianos and learning to play the piano!

Please don't take my comment personally, any of you, plural you, y'all here.

It was a comment about Discord in general, both Discord corporation software quality, the broad range of the crowd that it tends to attract and the people & corporations that prey on that crowd.

Originally Posted by elenmirie
I remember some musical friends from uni used to say "pinano" instead of piano. Is that a thing?

Painist for pianist and pinano for piano are just examples of metathesis and epenthesis, respectively, in contemporary English. I find it interesting as neither can occur in morphologically blurred languages like my native one, although related mutations can occur instead.

The direct answer is, I suppose, it can be a thing if people want it to be a thing smile Pinano is more of a thing than painist.

Thanks for that, interesting links. As a matter of interest, "pinano" also refers to the version of the nano text editor for Raspberry PI. https://uappexplorer.com/snap/ubuntu/pinano
I

Q: Am I late beginner, or early intermediate? A: Yes!

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. ~ Henry Van Dyke
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
@90125 - Thanks, I'll play around with Push To Talk feature. When not using that, there is an input sensitivity setting. I think that needs to be set as low as possible so that the note decay doesn't get cut off either. However, that setting goes away when using Push to Talk, so perhaps that will get rid of cut off all together. But ... I think you need to keep whatever button pressed the entire time to record.

As for dynamic range, I wonder if the software compresses it when sending to the server. Also, I have the volume on my DP set to 50%. Anything higher hurts my ears with the headphones, but I have noticed that when the volume is higher, the dynamic range seems to better. I need to figure out a way to send a higher volume with the line out, and use headphones with a lower volume.

Last night I did at times open the audio settings and listen while I played, not sure if others noticed or if they can hear when I do that. It's hard to practice like that though because of the delay in sound and it messes you up.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Last night I did at times open the audio settings and listen while I played, not sure if others noticed or if they can hear when I do that. It's hard to practice like that though because of the delay in sound and it messes you up.

If you mean by that you were listening to what the room heard, and therefore you were bouncing your audio off the server, can I ask how you did that? Did you use a different login? I wouldn't be able to play like that. I would be like hearing an echo when one talks.

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I asked in the channel, I was told nobody uses push to talk, and to read the pinned message below smile

To reduce the possibility of your microphone cutting out mid-play, try moving your microphone further away from your piano. Especially if you are playing loud pieces. If you have an electrical instrument, lowering the volume would also work.

A microphone has a certain thresh hold of the amount of sound that can go in. If this threshhold is reached your sound will tear and cut out. A distance of 4 meters between your piano and your microphone is recommended. Adjust this distance according to feedback from people listening, esspecially on louder pieces.

>>>>>To improve the piano streaming quality, Go to Discord Settings (Gear icon) > Go to Voice (and video) Settings > Turn off Automatic determine input sensitivity > Set the sensitivity bar All the way to the Left > Turn off every advanced voice settings<<<<<

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

ha, I was just on discord, then turned it off, or thought I did... then I heard somebody playing. I wonder if they could hear me? Oh dear. blush

I killed the process, but now I wanna go into a practice room.

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. ~ Henry Van Dyke
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
ha, I was just on discord, then turned it off, or thought I did... then I heard somebody playing. I wonder if they could hear me? Oh dear. blush

You should check your settings. I also had left my mic on in a room and someone texted me in Discord asking if I was playing since my mic was on (and presumably, they wanted to listen - which was embarrassing in itself since I happen to know from some other comments I read that the particular person asking me was a conservatory student blush actually a bit glad I wasn't playing my Mary Had A Little Lamb wink )

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

If you mean by that you were listening to what the room heard, and therefore you were bouncing your audio off the server, can I ask how you did that? Did you use a different login? I wouldn't be able to play like that. I would be like hearing an echo when one talks.

Not listening to what the room heard, but testing the mic. If you go into the audio settings, you can test the mic. I then set the output to the laptop speakers. I press a key on piano, headphones from piano I hear immediately, but from the speakers on the laptop, it's delayed.

But when settings window is closed, I don't hear what the room hears while playing, which is expected.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Well I went in a room for a few minutes - my name on there is Helen Bacagan. A couple of people wandered in, which was a little bit nervous making. And of course everyone else hanging around in there was sort of level 497, and I'm level 3.

I think I'll do it again, but in small doses. It's good to expose oneself to people listening, but not necessarily all the time.

Haha, it reminds me of when I was in music school, doing voice, and also doing my first time as a beginner piano student. I'd go in a room to practice Mary Had a Little Lamb for piano class, and the person in the next room would be doing Rach 2 or something equally intimidating. shocked

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Well I went in a room for a few minutes - my name on there is Helen Bacagan. A couple of people wandered in, which was a little bit nervous making. And of course everyone else hanging around in there was sort of level 497, and I'm level 3.

Well, I'm still trying to figure out the typical schedules. In the several times I've logged in to Discord since Saturday (as I mentioned above, I only was recently introduced to this by another PW member), I found there were sometimes when it seemed everyone was a conservatory student, many probably playing in their real life school practice rooms with an open mic. And there were other times when it would be more of a mixed bag. I want to map this so I can blend in better in a crowd of other "Mary Had A Little Lamb" folks! LOL.

Haha, it reminds me of when I was in music school, doing voice, and also doing my first time as a beginner piano student. I'd go in a room to practice Mary Had a Little Lamb for piano class, and the person in the next room would be doing Rach 2 or something equally intimidating. shocked

I can see it could be good for asking for feedback though. I just don't think I need to ask Level 497 people for feedback on my "Mary Had A Little Lamb" though! blush

BTW, back in school, perhaps you had instances where you had last laugh if any of those piano performance majors had been taking an intro voice class and practicing their solfege in the room next to you as you were practicing Der Hölle Rache! wink

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think I saw a Helen in there, playing the Clementi piece? I've heard a variety of different levels playing on that server. I think after you join the room, hide the screen so that you can't see if anybody joins. Just practice as you normally would smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

You should check your settings. I also had left my mic on in a room and someone texted me in Discord asking if I was playing since my mic was on (and presumably, they wanted to listen - which was embarrassing in itself since I happen to know from some other comments I read that the particular person asking me was a conservatory student blush actually a bit glad I wasn't playing my Mary Had A Little Lamb wink )

Found out what happened - I was closing the app without logging out, but that doesn't actually disconnect you. So I was still in there (thankfully, muted.) If someone started playing in the lounge, then I'd hear it. So, from now on I shall be careful to log out and not just close the app.

I think I saw a Helen in there, playing the Clementi piece? I've heard a variety of different levels playing on that server. I think after you join the room, hide the screen so that you can't see if anybody joins. Just practice as you normally would smile

Yes, I think I saw you come in, and I was working on Clementi. That's a good idea, to hide the screen.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
To disconnect from the room, look at the bottom left and find "Voice Connected". Then click the phone icon with an X, that will disconnect you from the room.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission