2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
43 members (grd-dan, clothearednincompo, CyberGene, Bouson, Georg Z., Frédéric L, Daryl Durand, Chouca, AWilley, 9 invisible), 372 guests, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: I hate all digital pianos' sound, is this a burnout? :)
CyberGene #2800006 01/09/19 07:54 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Originally Posted by PianoStartsAt33

Newest LX-series: thin, boxed, mono-like sound that is disguised by very good resonances and stuff but the core part is meh.
Previous LX-series: even worse!

-----
But started wondering: is this a burnout that I am having? Am I too picky? Becoming grumpy old man? smile What do you think?

Have you ever heard a sound of vocal cords coming close to pruduce sound of human voice? Initially, it's just sone kind of unpleasant hissing or something like that. Only when this sound comes through our body, when it's enriched with chest and head resonances, we can hear that beautiful singing tone, for example. May be, it's just the same with the piano? Resonances (cabinet, open stirngs etc.) do not mask anyting - resonances create piano sound.

This might seem like a proper analogy but it isn't smile Ultimately it's the final result that matters. I don't care how human voice is created, I only care if it is beautiful. Same with piano sound. To my ears the final result of the current or previous fully modeled Roland pianos isn't good enough EVEN with the rich resonances added. But that's just my ears. YMMV as they say smile

And are any others any better? I think not. Perception varies enormously minute by minute almost. When you're stuck with one piano sound, you accept the situation and enjoy it, because there are (were) no alternatives then. And not a lot of money floating around, either. Generally speaking that is!
The choices we nave now create more problems than they solve. The supermarkets are five times larger than they need to be, frankly, it's a pain trying to find basic commodities any more. . . .
More is less!

I'm going to play my FP50 for a week, without any Pianoteq intrusion. Just to see how I get on . . . .I didn't buy it without reason.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
CyberGene #2800008 01/09/19 07:55 AM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Coincidentally just placed an order for a NU1X from Thomann laugh

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
CyberGene #2800018 01/09/19 08:28 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Your lifelong exposure to acoustic pianos may indeed be the reason for your finding Pianoteq unsatisfactory.
Once again, this is an analogy that might have its merits but I don't think is applicable in my case. I've grown up with the piano, my mother plays piano, I've played many different pianos, including grand and upright pianos, I've listened to piano music all my life so I know exactly how an acoustic piano should sound, although they differ a lot, yet they have their specific inherent character that's currently missing in modeled pianos.
And someone's lack of such exposure might explain why he accepts electronically produced piano sounds as natural ... even to the point that he dislikes the acoustic piano?

CyberGene #2800022 01/09/19 08:37 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

At least this disproves your theory that you are totally burned out - you found one that actually makes you happy! Congratulations! I would recommend that you now cease messing around with other sampled libraries for a while and enjoy your new piano! You don't want to start comparing your new instrument to other huge sampled libraries.

ando #2800024 01/09/19 08:44 AM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando

At least this disproves your theory that you are totally burned out - you found one that actually makes you happy! Congratulations! I would recommend that you now cease messing around with other sampled libraries for a while and enjoy your new piano! You don't want to start comparing your new instrument to other huge sampled libraries.

It's exactly what I intend to do and what I've actually been doing with all my previous purchases. Although I've used Vintage D in the past, it was only for recordings. And with Garritan CFX I started using it a year or two after I've played with the internal sound of my ES7. And I will also have my grand action DIY controller hooked to Garritan CFX, so hopefully there's much variety in my piano arsenal to not complain for a while wink

CyberGene #2800025 01/09/19 08:46 AM
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Congratulations!

Kawai Novus NV5 | Yamaha P-115
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Minigrand | VI Labs Modern U
CyberGene #2800027 01/09/19 08:48 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Will you continue development of Cyber DIY grand piano??

newer player #2800045 01/09/19 09:23 AM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by newer player

Will you continue development of Cyber DIY grand piano??

Ohh, sure, it's almost finished, I have the sensor PCB-s (yes, I decided to use single small PCBs for each sensor), the note module PCB-s (those that interpret the optical signals and generate digital signals) and currently finishing the CPU board which is actually just a board that hosts the Teensy controller, does I/O with the key modules and has the 5V and pedal inputs. A particular reason for it to take so long, besides the lack of time, is my personality which is always hesitating, I always strive for perfection and I simply can't finalize things because I am afraid I might be missing something or it could have been made better and so I just think and think and try many things in my head only to realize on the next day that I should try differently... But it will be finished! smile

CyberGene #2800054 01/09/19 09:40 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I've listened to piano music all my life so I know exactly how an acoustic piano should sound, although they differ a lot, yet they have their specific inherent character that's currently missing in modeled pianos.

That settles it, we'll have a double blind test and see if you can tell the difference more than 50 percent of the time. smile

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
CyberGene #2800070 01/09/19 10:22 AM
J
J

Congratulations - from what I've heard that's a great piano. I'll be quite curious what you'll think of the onboard CFX and Bosendorfer sounds after you've spent a lot of time with them. I haven't had the chance to play it but some of the best sounds (with a great action) from Yamaha should be very interesting!

CyberGene #2800072 01/09/19 10:23 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ohh, sure, it's almost finished, I have the sensor PCB-s (yes, I decided to use single small PCBs for each sensor), the note module PCB-s (those that interpret the optical signals and generate digital signals) and currently finishing the CPU board which is actually just a board that hosts the Teensy controller, does I/O with the key modules and has the 5V and pedal inputs. A particular reason for it to take so long, besides the lack of time, is my personality which is always hesitating, I always strive for perfection and I simply can't finalize things because I am afraid I might be missing something or it could have been made better and so I just think and think and try many things in my head only to realize on the next day that I should try differently... But it will be finished! smile

Awesome. There is always a case for rummaging ideas and a case for just diving in.

CyberGene #2800079 01/09/19 10:42 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Most of the digitals I've tried lately just sound, well, too digital. I guess I am spoiled by having an acoustic grand, but after playing some digitals, and then playing the real things, it's just not even close. Even the ones that had a good piano sound could not compete in touch. It felt like playing mf would produce a sound that's too soft, or if I wanted to play ff, I'd have to hit the keys extremely hard. In short, I didn't like the sound or the touch response of most digitals. They are good for non-piano sounds, but for just piano, I'd rather have any decent acoustic.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
Jeff Hurchalla #2800086 01/09/19 11:01 AM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla

Congratulations - from what I've heard that's a great piano. I'll be quite curious what you'll think of the onboard CFX and Bosendorfer sounds after you've spent a lot of time with them. I haven't had the chance to play it but some of the best sounds (with a great action) from Yamaha should be very interesting!

Thanks, Jeff! From what I've heard so far as demos, Garritan CFX is still better sounding than Yamaha's own sampling but then there's the entire NU1X package with the real action, the great sound system, the VRM resonance modeling and all that integrated into lovely playability.

But I guess I'm not abandoning Garritan CFX yet which I will be using with my own built controller, so thank you again for your excellent work on CFX and your tremendous help in regards to re-pedaling configuration.

CyberGene #2800196 01/09/19 03:52 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I've listened to piano music all my life so I know exactly how an acoustic piano should sound, although they differ a lot, yet they have their specific inherent character that's currently missing in modeled pianos.

I have to find that video I've seen on Youtube about a year ago - with a little girl observing her new Yamaha P-45. Althought she speaks russian... So, the point is that she says:"The sound is beatiful! I like it much more than sound of any real piano in my music school".
So, it's a child. About 9-10 years old. Her taste is not formed yet. She just has to make fair, not influenced choice. And she chooses digital sound. I may suppose that pianos in her music school are mostly in not very good condition because financing is poor. But nevertheless, all the old peano teacher I know alway say "The worst and cheapest acoustic is better than any digital" - the child feels it opposite.

Roland LX706

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel
PianoStartsAt33 #2800222 01/09/19 04:46 PM
T
T

I have to find that video I've seen on Youtube about a year ago - with a little girl observing her new Yamaha P-45. Althought she speaks russian... So, the point is that she says:"The sound is beatiful! I like it much more than sound of any real piano in my music school".
So, it's a child. About 9-10 years old. Her taste is not formed yet. She just has to make fair, not influenced choice. And she chooses digital sound. I may suppose that pianos in her music school are mostly in not very good condition because financing is poor. But nevertheless, all the old peano teacher I know alway say "The worst and cheapest acoustic is better than any digital" - the child feels it opposite.
So, she says she attends a music school. I dare to say her taste is pretty well formed.

Once I was a student to the local music school, the acoustic pianos there were low end August Fürster (I am referring to late 1980s and early 1990s). Without any doubt any contemporary digital, especially a Yamaha, would beat them in sound and mechanics.

Turning to the Russian made acoustic pianos (Чайковски, Чайка and whatnot), here (and “here” is an Eastern European country) they are considered next-to-garbage, a poor man’s acoustic piano, a better-than-nothing instrument. Those are the cheapest pianos on the market.

It’s quite believeable that the girl in the said video has been honest.

And no, I disagree with your teacher who seems to have never played a Чайка.

I do not mean to hate the Russian-made pianos. They have their uses, for example, the students in opera singing buy them to help them exercise their voice while warming up.

TrollToddington #2800230 01/09/19 05:03 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by TrollToddington

But nevertheless, all the old peano teacher I know alway say "The worst and cheapest acoustic is better than any digital"

And no, I disagree with your teacher who seems to have never played a Чайка.

I meant not my teacher exaxctly, but any old music teacher from numerous music schools around the country. All theese grannies hate digitals.
I disagree too, of course. But I bet there some forum members that share teacher's position smile

Last edited by PianoStartsAt33; 01/09/19 05:04 PM.

Roland LX706

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel
CyberGene #2800234 01/09/19 05:12 PM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Most of these “grannies” have prepared top class pianists, especially in Eastetn Europe smile They are very clever and know their business, don’t underestimate them! Of course Soviet pianos are crap and I’d prefer a digital over most Soviet pianos without blinking. But for me personally a digital piano, bar hybrid ones, is a no match for a well tuned and maintained acoustic Japanese or German piano.

CyberGene #2800255 01/09/19 06:10 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Soviet pianos lousy? I hear nothing wrong with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKaXayoLGgs

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
CyberGene #2800265 01/09/19 06:40 PM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
When I said “most” and not “all” of them, it was exactly because of Estonia smile But can’t think of any other Soviet brand that is worth it today and is still made. BTW, Estonia is very old, so maybe shouldn’t be considered Soviet at all.

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/09/19 06:42 PM.

CyberGene #2800278 01/09/19 07:04 PM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
It matters very much when a particular Estonia piano was built. They were good long long ago before the Soviet period, they're excellent now. The one in the video appears to be well post-Soviet.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why is long sustain a good thing?
by Emery Wang - 11/23/20 11:48 PM
VI Playability
by Dore - 11/23/20 11:45 PM
Resonance? Vibration?
by 3B43 - 11/23/20 08:40 PM
Hear Rachy Play A Bosie - This Is Awesome!
by Jeanne W - 11/23/20 08:23 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,007
Posts3,026,418
Members99,352
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission