Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
140 registered members (agraffe, akc42, AnthonyPaulO, AlphaBravoCharlie, amad23, 7uturu, Animisha, anamnesis, Alex Hutor, 38 invisible), 1,278 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server #2799944
01/09/19 02:15 AM
01/09/19 02:15 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline OP
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline OP

The Discord Pinano Server has piano practice rooms. We were discussing these in this thread and this thread.

First of all, what is Discord? Discord is a "proprietary freeware VoIP application and digital distribution platform designed for video gaming communities, that specializes in text, image, video and audio communication between users in a chat channel. Discord runs on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and in web browsers. As of May 2018, there are 130 million unique users of the software."

A number of pianists (also referred to as "painists" smile ) got together and created a piano server called the Pinano Server (note variant spelling) within Discord. The Pinano Server has multiple real-time piano channels where people talk about pianos, piano playing, classical music, non-classical music, etc. all in real-time both in text and by voice. As you can imagine, users of Discord are world-wide so this server has live discussions going on 24-hours per day.

Quite a few of the channels on the Pinano Server are dedicated as "practice rooms." You can go into an empty practice room and just practice your piano there. People may freely wander in and out of practice rooms to listen. There are also features to practice rooms such as practice room timers which you can use to track how much you are practicing over a period of time. There is also friendly competition (a leader board) to show how much different folks are practicing (those that use the practice timer).

As CadenzaVvi says, this is sort of like practicing in a conservatory. She pointed out in this thread that practicing in a Discord Pinano practice room adds some discipline to her practice. I am planning on starting to practice in a Pinano Server practice room to try to lessen my performance anxiety because when people can wander in and out and listen to you at any time, than I suppose I will just stop thinking about it after awhile.

Discord also hosts a piano recital every two weeks. Participants must register in advance. Past recitals can be heard on the Youtube "Pinano Discord" channel here. The last one was the Recital #21. Recital #22 is scheduled for January 12th and the registration page is here. As I had announced here, Discord Pinano just hosted an Internet piano competition. It'll be interesting to see the entries.

HOW TO USE DISCORD - The following is just a very brief instruction on how to use Discord and set up to practice in an empty practice room.

To do this, you will need a microphone for your piano, such as you might use to make a recording. Alternatively, you can also use direct audio such as from your piano or a VST, however, I will not discuss setting that up here.

You first download the appropriate Discord app here. Note, to use the full features of Discord, you will have to use the downloadable app version, and not only try to access Discord via the browser.

After installing the app on your computer, create an account on the Pinano Server by going here. Once you have created an account, this is the account you will use to log into the Discord app. On Mac OSX, the app looks like this:
[Linked Image]

Be sure your computer's privacy settings are set such that the Discord app can access your microphone. You can test this in the preference settings.

Go into a Discord Pinano practice room and start practicing.

If you have any difficulties, ask in this thread.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2799950
01/09/19 03:03 AM
01/09/19 03:03 AM
Ireland
Sibylle Offline
Sibylle  Offline

Ireland
I only know Discord from gaming. This is neat smile It's not something I'll make use of, but I can see how it can be extremely helpful in some cases.

Sibylle

My piano background

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2799979
01/09/19 07:25 AM
01/09/19 07:25 AM
Cumbria, England
elenmirie Offline
elenmirie  Offline

Cumbria, England
That's interesting, I might try it. I only know Discord from gaming too, and then only because we have a bridge from Discord to IRC.

I remember some musical friends from uni used to say "pinano" instead of piano. Is that a thing?

Q: Am I late beginner, or early intermediate? A: Yes!

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. ~ Henry Van Dyke
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800009
01/09/19 08:56 AM
01/09/19 08:56 AM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Tyrone, for putting this together. I've been using Discord for awhile now for other reasons. I'll have check out some of the practice rooms and live recitals smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: elenmirie] #2800080
01/09/19 11:49 AM
01/09/19 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by elenmirie
I remember some musical friends from uni used to say "pinano" instead of piano. Is that a thing?

Painist for pianist and pinano for piano are just examples of metathesis and epenthesis, respectively, in contemporary English. I find it interesting as neither can occur in morphologically blurred languages like my native one, although related mutations can occur instead.

The direct answer is, I suppose, it can be a thing if people want it to be a thing smile Pinano is more of a thing than painist.

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800084
01/09/19 11:54 AM
01/09/19 11:54 AM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
I set up an account and saw chats and practice rooms, but didn't hear anything and wasn't sure how to use the practice room. (I guess I could look for tutorials or something but this seemed easier). Do I just go to an unused practice room and start playing? How do I know if anyone can hear it?

Looks interesting.

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: EP] #2800087
01/09/19 12:04 PM
01/09/19 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by EP
I set up an account and saw chats and practice rooms, but didn't hear anything and wasn't sure how to use the practice room. (I guess I could look for tutorials or something but this seemed easier).

It's possible you don't hear anything simply because no one was playing (or speaking) in any of those rooms you visited. Can you hear any sounds at all from the Discord app? You can also type in the main chat room and ask some one to speak up and see if you hear them through their mic.

If you are on the Pinano Server now, go to the second practice room where Discord user coff is currently playing/practicing with two listeners. You can go there and see if you hear him playing/practicing.

Originally Posted by EP
Do I just go to an unused practice room and start playing? How do I know if anyone can hear it?

Assuming your mic is accessible from Discord app, and that you haven't muted yourself in the Discord app (look for the microphone symbol right of your handle to see if it has a line through it), then yes, this is how it works.

To tune your mic for what others might hear from your pinano wink , you can create a dummy login from a tablet w/ earphones, login from the tablet, go to the same practice room as you are playing in with your main Discord account, and use it to help to adjust your settings and microphone. But this is already more sophisticated and elaborate than the bare minimum needed.

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800096
01/09/19 12:21 PM
01/09/19 12:21 PM

BTW, to give credit where credit is due, I entirely blame my own knowledge of Discord on PW member vervurka, as due to her suggestion, I myself tried it for the first time only 4 days ago, so I am a Discord baby myself smile

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800098
01/09/19 12:24 PM
01/09/19 12:24 PM
Annapolis MD
G
gerhard_k Offline
gerhard_k  Offline
G

Annapolis MD
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Painist for pianist and pinano for piano are just examples of metathesis and epenthesis, respectively, in contemporary English. I find it interesting as neither can occur in morphologically blurred languages like my native one, although related mutations can occur instead.

Tyrone - thank you for these side-tracks. I love language (although hardly a serious student of it) and found these links fascinating. Justifies my having spent these minutes on the forum instead of actually practicing...

They say extra practice can make up for modesty of talent (up to a point) - I sure hope so...
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800099
01/09/19 12:26 PM
01/09/19 12:26 PM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
Thanks, I must have been too late seeing your post because I didn't see coff anywhere (assuming I'm in the right place). I actually went to all the practice rooms that looked like they had someone there and didn't hear anything.
I must have something wrong, but I'm headed out now and will have to try again later.

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800166
01/09/19 03:34 PM
01/09/19 03:34 PM
Portland, OR
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
tangleweeds  Offline

Portland, OR
I'm curious what's involved in getting my DP audio into the Discord app, if anyone who knows how to do that has time to spare.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: tangleweeds] #2800194
01/09/19 04:50 PM
01/09/19 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by tangleweeds
I'm curious what's involved in getting my DP audio into the Discord app, if anyone who knows how to do that has time to spare.

Are you on Windows 10, Mac OSX, or something else? tablet?

Are you using a VST or just want to pipe the audio out of the sound generator in your piano into Discord?

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: EP] #2800285
01/09/19 08:24 PM
01/09/19 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by EP
Thanks, I must have been too late seeing your post because I didn't see coff anywhere (assuming I'm in the right place). I actually went to all the practice rooms that looked like they had someone there and didn't hear anything.
I must have something wrong, but I'm headed out now and will have to try again later.

Yeah, you missed coff, I guess. But many people on the server can probably assist you with your testing. If I'm around, I could assist. Sounds like you might be having a Discord app settings issue if you are hearing absolutely nothing from any of the channels.

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800308
01/09/19 09:34 PM
01/09/19 09:34 PM
Portland, OR
tangleweeds Offline

tangleweeds  Offline

Portland, OR

Are you using a VST or just want to pipe the audio out of the sound generator in your piano into Discord?

Thanks for following up. I could use either my Mac or iPad, whichever would be easiest. The sound would be coming right out of my Casio Privia DP. I'd just turn on the sound, but I have roommates and my DP is currently in common space, so silent practice would be far more chill.

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: tangleweeds] #2800313
01/09/19 09:49 PM
01/09/19 09:49 PM

Thanks for following up. I could use either my Mac or iPad, whichever would be easiest. The sound would be coming right out of my Casio Privia DP. I'd just turn on the sound, but I have roommates and my DP is currently in common space, so silent practice would be far more chill.

I think this would be easier to do on the Mac. So as I see it, the goal is to play the DP and have the audio out go to the Mac and feed into the Discord app and also feed into your headphones so you can hear your own playing. What model of DP is it? Does using the audio output of the DP shutdown the headphone port on your DP? Or can both be used at the same time?

Since I have a Mac, I want to test this myself since I'm interested as well, insofar as I would want to play in the middle of the night when my neighbors in my multitenant building are sleeping.

EDIT: Realized this would not be a good setup to use the headphone port on the DP since then you couldn't hear anything coming in from Discord. More thought needed.

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800317
01/09/19 10:07 PM
01/09/19 10:07 PM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm on Discord now. I set the output of the digital piano into the line input of the USB sound card, and use headphones out from the piano when playing. I was told to uncheck the audio advanced options. I wish I could hear what it sounds like from a listener perspective. I tried logging in with my phone, but it disconnects my voice on the laptop because it's the same user.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2800320
01/09/19 10:16 PM
01/09/19 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
I'm on Discord now. I set the output of the digital piano into the line input of the USB sound card, and use headphones out from the piano when playing. I was told to uncheck the audio advanced options. I wish I could hear what it sounds like from a listener perspective. I tried logging in with my phone, but it disconnects my voice on the laptop because it's the same user.

Nice! But can you hear what listeners in your practice room are saying while you are playing? If for example, I were to wander into your room and say, "Hey BSharp, is that the Liszt Sonata in B minor you're playing wink ?", would you hear me with your setup? Or only your DP?

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800328
01/09/19 11:05 PM
01/09/19 11:05 PM
Portland, OR
tangleweeds Offline

tangleweeds  Offline

Portland, OR
So as I see it, the goal is to play the DP and have the audio out go to the Mac and feed into the Discord app and also feed into your headphones so you can hear your own playing. What model of DP is it? Does using the audio output of the DP shutdown the headphone port on your DP? Or can both be used at the same time?

Since I have a Mac, I want to test this myself since I'm interested as well, insofar as I would want to play in the middle of the night when my neighbors in my multitenant building are sleeping.

EDIT: Realized this would not be a good setup to use the headphone port on the DP since then you couldn't hear anything coming in from Discord. More thought needed.

It's a Casio Privia PX-330, several years old now (haven't played much in the past five years). Using the audio output doesn't shut down the headphone port, but as you said, then I can't hear from Discord. But I assume there must be some way around this if gamers are both playing and talking at the same time. Or would that mean virtual piano software is required? Thanks for taking on the question.

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: tangleweeds] #2800332
01/09/19 11:49 PM
01/09/19 11:49 PM

It's a Casio Privia PX-330, several years old now (haven't played much in the past five years). Using the audio output doesn't shut down the headphone port, but as you said, then I can't hear from Discord. But I assume there must be some way around this if gamers are both playing and talking at the same time. Or would that mean virtual piano software is required? Thanks for taking on the question.

I know it can be done without a VST, and know how I can do it on Windows machine, since there, I can take the line-in and mix it with the output of an app (example: Discord) to send to my headphone using Windows itself. But I'm not sure how to do it on a Mac without something like a virtual audio cable, which I have, but entails an additional expense (although Soundflower is free, but I've never used that before). So I am experimenting a bit right now since I am interested in this question too...

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800336
01/10/19 12:02 AM
01/10/19 12:02 AM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I might be able to hear what others are saying. That would come out through the laptop speakers, so I might hear a little while using headphones smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800340
01/10/19 12:21 AM
01/10/19 12:21 AM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline
CadenzaVvi  Offline

Quebec city, QC
I'm in your practice room right now. Sound is globally fine. There are some cuts and it sometimes saturates a bit, so there could be a little bit of fine tuning. But I would say it is far from mandatory, considering the principal purpose of those rooms. smile It is not to take a recording of the people.

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- (Classical piece TBD)
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
- Pozzoli, E.R. 427, etude no. 6
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800346
01/10/19 12:51 AM
01/10/19 12:51 AM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Good to know, thanks. Maybe reducing the mic volume will help with the saturation. Not sure yet what to do about the notes cutting out. I'll have to play around with the settings more. smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2800347
01/10/19 01:07 AM
01/10/19 01:07 AM

Not sure yet what to do about the notes cutting out. I'll have to play around with the settings more. smile

If you listen to some of the Discord Pinano biweekly recital recordings, you might notice that some people almost cut out all the time and others don't cut out at all. I suspect that it is a configuration/settings issue. Might also be hardware (computer) or Internet, though, or some combo. Googling on internet for Discord settings and cutting out might also review what the best settings are.

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800349
01/10/19 01:16 AM
01/10/19 01:16 AM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline
CadenzaVvi  Offline

Quebec city, QC
It wasn't cutting often, so it is really not that bad. smile

Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- (Classical piece TBD)
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2800354
01/10/19 01:54 AM
01/10/19 01:54 AM
Mars
90125 Offline
90125  Offline

Mars
Good to know, thanks. Maybe reducing the mic volume will help with the saturation. Not sure yet what to do about the notes cutting out. I'll have to play around with the settings more. smile

I listened to your practice through the web-based DiscordApp in Firefox.

When the sound was getting through, the tone was excellent quality, better than many Youtube videos. I could clearly hear nice sustain in your piano when you played Fur Elise. The dynamic range was very compressed, no difference in volume between p and f, but because of very good tone reproduction one could make a decent guess. But you were getting cut off during pauses. It was both clearly audible and visible by the green ring disappearing from around your avatar.

Your sound was better than average, some of the practice rooms sounds were hardly recognizable as a piano. In other people were practicing on acoustics with a monster reverberation. There was a girl with a cold making pauses to blow her nose and she wasn't cutting out during her pauses.

Looking at the setting in the DiscordApp in Firefox there seems to be a choice for Input Mode between "Voice Activity" and "Push to talk". Maybe the latter can be made to work more reliably than the former by putting some weight on the key used to enable the input?

Have fun, all of you! I'm not likely to venture to Discord soon, it has way too much "bad part of the town" vibe for me.

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: 90125] #2800355
01/10/19 02:02 AM
01/10/19 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by 90125
I'm not likely to venture to Discord soon, it has way too much "bad part of the town" vibe for me.

I wish the bad parts of my town were inhabited by people with pianos and learning to play the piano! cool Obviously some people's "bad parts of town" are other people's "good parts of town" grin

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800356
01/10/19 02:14 AM
01/10/19 02:14 AM
Mars
90125 Offline
90125  Offline

Mars
I wish the bad parts of my town were inhabited by people with pianos and learning to play the piano!

Please don't take my comment personally, any of you, plural you, y'all here.

It was a comment about Discord in general, both Discord corporation software quality, the broad range of the crowd that it tends to attract and the people & corporations that prey on that crowd.

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800393
01/10/19 06:43 AM
01/10/19 06:43 AM
Cumbria, England
elenmirie Offline
elenmirie  Offline

Cumbria, England

The direct answer is, I suppose, it can be a thing if people want it to be a thing smile Pinano is more of a thing than painist.

Thanks for that, interesting links. As a matter of interest, "pinano" also refers to the version of the nano text editor for Raspberry PI. https://uappexplorer.com/snap/ubuntu/pinano
I

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. ~ Henry Van Dyke
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800427
01/10/19 09:38 AM
01/10/19 09:38 AM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

@90125 - Thanks, I'll play around with Push To Talk feature. When not using that, there is an input sensitivity setting. I think that needs to be set as low as possible so that the note decay doesn't get cut off either. However, that setting goes away when using Push to Talk, so perhaps that will get rid of cut off all together. But ... I think you need to keep whatever button pressed the entire time to record.

As for dynamic range, I wonder if the software compresses it when sending to the server. Also, I have the volume on my DP set to 50%. Anything higher hurts my ears with the headphones, but I have noticed that when the volume is higher, the dynamic range seems to better. I need to figure out a way to send a higher volume with the line out, and use headphones with a lower volume.

Last night I did at times open the audio settings and listen while I played, not sure if others noticed or if they can hear when I do that. It's hard to practice like that though because of the delay in sound and it messes you up.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2800429
01/10/19 09:43 AM

Last night I did at times open the audio settings and listen while I played, not sure if others noticed or if they can hear when I do that. It's hard to practice like that though because of the delay in sound and it messes you up.

If you mean by that you were listening to what the room heard, and therefore you were bouncing your audio off the server, can I ask how you did that? Did you use a different login? I wouldn't be able to play like that. I would be like hearing an echo when one talks.

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800430
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I asked in the channel, I was told nobody uses push to talk, and to read the pinned message below smile

To reduce the possibility of your microphone cutting out mid-play, try moving your microphone further away from your piano. Especially if you are playing loud pieces. If you have an electrical instrument, lowering the volume would also work.

A microphone has a certain thresh hold of the amount of sound that can go in. If this threshhold is reached your sound will tear and cut out. A distance of 4 meters between your piano and your microphone is recommended. Adjust this distance according to feedback from people listening, esspecially on louder pieces.

>>>>>To improve the piano streaming quality, Go to Discord Settings (Gear icon) > Go to Voice (and video) Settings > Turn off Automatic determine input sensitivity > Set the sensitivity bar All the way to the Left > Turn off every advanced voice settings<<<<<

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800448
01/10/19 10:36 AM
01/10/19 10:36 AM
Cumbria, England
elenmirie Offline
elenmirie  Offline

Cumbria, England
ha, I was just on discord, then turned it off, or thought I did... then I heard somebody playing. I wonder if they could hear me? Oh dear. blush

I killed the process, but now I wanna go into a practice room.

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: elenmirie] #2800449
01/10/19 10:41 AM
01/10/19 10:41 AM

ha, I was just on discord, then turned it off, or thought I did... then I heard somebody playing. I wonder if they could hear me? Oh dear. blush

You should check your settings. I also had left my mic on in a room and someone texted me in Discord asking if I was playing since my mic was on (and presumably, they wanted to listen - which was embarrassing in itself since I happen to know from some other comments I read that the particular person asking me was a conservatory student blush actually a bit glad I wasn't playing my Mary Had A Little Lamb wink )

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800453
01/10/19 10:49 AM
01/10/19 10:49 AM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If you mean by that you were listening to what the room heard, and therefore you were bouncing your audio off the server, can I ask how you did that? Did you use a different login? I wouldn't be able to play like that. I would be like hearing an echo when one talks.

Not listening to what the room heard, but testing the mic. If you go into the audio settings, you can test the mic. I then set the output to the laptop speakers. I press a key on piano, headphones from piano I hear immediately, but from the speakers on the laptop, it's delayed.

But when settings window is closed, I don't hear what the room hears while playing, which is expected.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800472
01/10/19 11:30 AM
01/10/19 11:30 AM
Cumbria, England
elenmirie Offline
elenmirie  Offline

Cumbria, England
Well I went in a room for a few minutes - my name on there is Helen Bacagan. A couple of people wandered in, which was a little bit nervous making. And of course everyone else hanging around in there was sort of level 497, and I'm level 3.

I think I'll do it again, but in small doses. It's good to expose oneself to people listening, but not necessarily all the time.

Haha, it reminds me of when I was in music school, doing voice, and also doing my first time as a beginner piano student. I'd go in a room to practice Mary Had a Little Lamb for piano class, and the person in the next room would be doing Rach 2 or something equally intimidating. shocked

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: elenmirie] #2800482
01/10/19 11:55 AM
01/10/19 11:55 AM

Well I went in a room for a few minutes - my name on there is Helen Bacagan. A couple of people wandered in, which was a little bit nervous making. And of course everyone else hanging around in there was sort of level 497, and I'm level 3.

Well, I'm still trying to figure out the typical schedules. In the several times I've logged in to Discord since Saturday (as I mentioned above, I only was recently introduced to this by another PW member), I found there were sometimes when it seemed everyone was a conservatory student, many probably playing in their real life school practice rooms with an open mic. And there were other times when it would be more of a mixed bag. I want to map this so I can blend in better in a crowd of other "Mary Had A Little Lamb" folks! LOL.

Haha, it reminds me of when I was in music school, doing voice, and also doing my first time as a beginner piano student. I'd go in a room to practice Mary Had a Little Lamb for piano class, and the person in the next room would be doing Rach 2 or something equally intimidating. shocked

I can see it could be good for asking for feedback though. I just don't think I need to ask Level 497 people for feedback on my "Mary Had A Little Lamb" though! blush

BTW, back in school, perhaps you had instances where you had last laugh if any of those piano performance majors had been taking an intro voice class and practicing their solfege in the room next to you as you were practicing Der Hölle Rache! wink

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800498
01/10/19 12:22 PM
01/10/19 12:22 PM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think I saw a Helen in there, playing the Clementi piece? I've heard a variety of different levels playing on that server. I think after you join the room, hide the screen so that you can't see if anybody joins. Just practice as you normally would smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800500
01/10/19 12:25 PM
01/10/19 12:25 PM
Cumbria, England
elenmirie Offline
elenmirie  Offline

Cumbria, England

You should check your settings. I also had left my mic on in a room and someone texted me in Discord asking if I was playing since my mic was on (and presumably, they wanted to listen - which was embarrassing in itself since I happen to know from some other comments I read that the particular person asking me was a conservatory student blush actually a bit glad I wasn't playing my Mary Had A Little Lamb wink )

Found out what happened - I was closing the app without logging out, but that doesn't actually disconnect you. So I was still in there (thankfully, muted.) If someone started playing in the lounge, then I'd hear it. So, from now on I shall be careful to log out and not just close the app.

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2800502
01/10/19 12:27 PM
01/10/19 12:27 PM
Cumbria, England
elenmirie Offline
elenmirie  Offline

Cumbria, England
I think I saw a Helen in there, playing the Clementi piece? I've heard a variety of different levels playing on that server. I think after you join the room, hide the screen so that you can't see if anybody joins. Just practice as you normally would smile

Yes, I think I saw you come in, and I was working on Clementi. That's a good idea, to hide the screen.

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800514
01/10/19 12:45 PM
01/10/19 12:45 PM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

To disconnect from the room, look at the bottom left and find "Voice Connected". Then click the phone icon with an X, that will disconnect you from the room.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800517
01/10/19 12:49 PM
01/10/19 12:49 PM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline
CadenzaVvi  Offline

Quebec city, QC
Just wanted to hop on that "push to talk" thing.

Yeah, no one can use that while playing the piano. It is really meant for gamers. Push to talk means you have to press a button on your keyboard to activate your microphone. You can't hold a button on the keyboard and play the piano at the same time. Whereas, in a game you play with your keyboard, it is likely possible to press a specific key while playing, if you don't want people hearing you at all time.

If I had a cold, I wouldn't cut my mic to blow my nose either. It is for practice, not for recital, anyway. wink I really compare that to practicing at the conservatory: people in the corridor will hear everything I do. This is include sight singing very poorly, struggling with arpeggios... and blowing my nose, coughing, ... My piano is a few feet away from my computer. I don't want to leave my bench, go to my computer, cut the mic, blow my nose, activate the mic, go back at my piano... So I understand that girl. wink

-

As for the screen, yes, cutting it is a good idea. Cutting the sound is a good idea too. The other night, I heard when people logged in and it was disturbing.
Though if your goal is to fell less stressed about being exposed, getting used to know when people are listening to you might be a good idea. But I think it is better to go gradually and go for that later on (if interested at all).

Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- (Classical piece TBD)
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2800546
01/10/19 02:23 PM
01/10/19 02:23 PM
Kitsap County, WA
squidbot Offline
Gold Subscriber
squidbot  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Kitsap County, WA
Originally Posted by CadenzaVvi
Yeah, no one can use that while playing the piano. It is really meant for gamers. Push to talk means you have to press a button on your keyboard to activate your microphone. You can't hold a button on the keyboard and play the piano at the same time.

[Linked Image]

𝒀𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒉𝒂 𝑨𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑵1𝑿
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800608
01/10/19 05:11 PM
01/10/19 05:11 PM
Kitsap County, WA
squidbot Offline
Gold Subscriber
squidbot  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Kitsap County, WA
This is surprisingly addictive. I'll give a try with my own practice tomorrow (lessons tonight, no one gets to eavesdrop on those smile

𝒀𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒉𝒂 𝑨𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑵1𝑿
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800614
01/10/19 05:29 PM
01/10/19 05:29 PM
Southern California
TomLC Online content
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Online Content
Gold Subscriber

Southern California
This looks quite interesting. I signed in and heard Squidbot say “hello Tom”. But I need to get an adaptor to connect “line out” to my iPad before I can play in the app. I assume that using line-out, I will still hear my piano from the connected headphones. But sounds coming from the app will play through the iPad speakers. Correct me if I am wrong. When I get the adaptor I ordered, I will try to also run a cable from the iPad headphone jack to the piano’s “line-in” jack and then be able to hear every thing from the headphones connected to the piano. My playing and a voice from within the app.

[Linked Image]

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: TomLC] #2800740
01/11/19 04:15 AM
01/11/19 04:15 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Germany
Originally Posted by TomLC
This looks quite interesting. I signed in and heard Squidbot say “hello Tom”. But I need to get an adaptor to connect “line out” to my iPad before I can play in the app. I assume that using line-out, I will still hear my piano from the connected headphones. But sounds coming from the app will play through the iPad speakers. Correct me if I am wrong. When I get the adaptor I ordered, I will try to also run a cable from the iPad headphone jack to the piano’s “line-in” jack and then be able to hear every thing from the headphones connected to the piano. My playing and a voice from within the app.

Tom, that will probably work, but with two wires going between the piano and iPad you may be getting ground loop or humming problems.
Also you should be aware that the signal level on the NV10's line out is controlled by the piano's master volume knob. When I tested this, I found that there's already a decent signal level with the knob at 50%, but if that is not enough for the Discord app, you may have to increase the main volume. Which could then make the sound too loud in your headphones.
I guess you'll have to experiment to see if you get any humming problems, and if the NV10's output at your normal headphones volume level is good enough for Discord.

An alternative would be to instead connect only the NV10's line out to the iPad (I assume it's connected to the iPad's lightning port with an adapter?) then plug your headphones into the iPad itself. Also plug another set of headphones (or just a spare adapter plug) into the NV10, to mute the piano's speakers. That way you can control the line out signal level of the NV10 with it's main volume knob (to get the right mix for the Discord app) and you can control the overall volume that goes into your headphones on the iPad itself. And you have only a single line between piano and iPad.
One drawback that this could have is, if the iPad line in introduces a lag, because then you would hear the piano with a slight delay (with the sound routed through the iPad).

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800786
01/11/19 10:01 AM
01/11/19 10:01 AM
Southern California
TomLC Online content
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Online Content
Gold Subscriber

Southern California
JoBert, I will try that. I was concerned the sound of the piano would then come from the Discord app. So I will see what I see.

Others who are using the app; I have some concern as to how safe this app is. Certainly, it was not easy to find out how to log out. Which had me a little anxious since I read here that closing the app doesn’t really close it. Why would that be? Since the app uses your mike does it really ever turn it off?

[Linked Image]

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800797
01/11/19 10:46 AM
01/11/19 10:46 AM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You won't hear your piano with the discord app if you send a line back into the piano. You'll hear sounds from the Ipad/device that you use though, but not of your playing. Why do you want to send a line back in?

Your mic will be on when you connect to a voice room, but you can mute the mic. When don't when to be in the room any longer, make sure you disconnect.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800816
01/11/19 11:43 AM
01/11/19 11:43 AM
Southern California
TomLC Online content
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Online Content
Gold Subscriber

Southern California
Well....b#, I was thinking that I will hear the piano and “voices talking” through the headphones jack if I have line-out connected to my iPad and line-in from the headphone jack on the iPad to the piano. All sounds of both piano and iPad should play through the piano headphones. No? confused

Maybe I’m confused. So if, as JoBert suggest, I connect my headphones to the iPad, and mute the speakers on the piano, run a line-out to the iPad instead of using a microphone, so that the piano sound is in the app (others can hear it) you are saying I won’t hear my piano through the iPad headphones? If I need to play with speakers on, I won’t be doing it. The Apple adaptor Is required anyway for a midi connection to my iPad. Thanks!

[Linked Image]

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800834
01/11/19 12:21 PM
01/11/19 12:21 PM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sorry, I didn't read Jobert's post until now. Yes, you would then hear the piano through the Ipad headphones with that setup, but would there be a delay? I guess you'd have to test that. I use the headphone out of the piano and line out into X-Fi USB sound card, so it's the same signal level. I'm not concerned with hearing Discord sounds through my headphones. The important thing in Discord will be to turn off automatic input sensitivity and move the slider to the far left, so that note decay doesn't get cut off.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2810105
02/03/19 03:08 AM
02/03/19 03:08 AM
Long Island, NY
A
AssociateX Offline
AssociateX  Offline
A

Long Island, NY
I just downloaded this app and am so addicted to it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Currently working on:
1. Schubert - Impromptu Op.90 # 1 and Moments Musicaux #3
2. Bach- Prelude & Fugue (F Minor - WTC 2
3. Schumann Arabesque Op18
My YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2810106
02/03/19 03:13 AM
02/03/19 03:13 AM

I put doing 30 hours of practice on the Pinano Server on my annual piano goals as a measure to combat stage fright, but I have such stage fright I haven't even started yet! eek blush

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2827354
03/15/19 10:18 PM
03/15/19 10:18 PM
Canada
SAMoore Offline
2000 Post Club Member
SAMoore  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Canada
Apple IPad will not work I am guessing.

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: SAMoore] #2827370
03/15/19 11:38 PM
03/15/19 11:38 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by SAMoore
Apple IPad will not work I am guessing.

I've used it on iPad with no problems. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2828039
03/17/19 11:33 PM
03/17/19 11:33 PM
California
A
AdagioLearner Offline
AdagioLearner  Offline
A

California
I've been trying out Discord and enjoying it. I do have a few questions for the experts:
- A question on etiquette. I've been practicing by going to an empty practice room and just, well, practicing alone. I figure if I see people using other practice rooms I shouldn't join in because it would be rude? Or is it acceptable to join any practice room even if you don't know the people using it or what they are playing?
- Is there a setting in the Discord app where I can track the amount of time I spend practicing?
- I read somewhere that Discord allows video chats for up to to 10 people at a time. Does anyone use this while practicing?

Thanks,
Brian

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: AdagioLearner] #2828045
03/17/19 11:59 PM
03/17/19 11:59 PM
Long Island, NY
A
AssociateX Offline
AssociateX  Offline
A

Long Island, NY
Originally Posted by AdagioLearner
I've been trying out Discord and enjoying it. I do have a few questions for the experts:
- A question on etiquette. I've been practicing by going to an empty practice room and just, well, practicing alone. I figure if I see people using other practice rooms I shouldn't join in because it would be rude? Or is it acceptable to join any practice room even if you don't know the people using it or what they are playing?
- Is there a setting in the Discord app where I can track the amount of time I spend practicing?
- I read somewhere that Discord allows video chats for up to to 10 people at a time. Does anyone use this while practicing?

Thanks,
Brian

Practice rooms are public so technically you can just go into one when someone is playing and just listen in...when I am playing, I see many names wander in and out. You can send a direct message to the player with the @username command or just chat in the Practice Room chat to discuss anything going on in the rooms or what you are practicing...

To get statistics on practice time, just go into any chat area and type p!stats

That command will show you Discords hours for your length of time playing in a practice room (it doesnt log when you are on mute).

The p!leaderboard command wil show top 10 users with the most practice hours for the week,

Any of the practice rooms can handle voice chat for as many as 20 users in the room. Think if it as a real life Skype call but with no video. When someone is playing, you out your device on mute so that your noises wont be heard by everyone else on that channel/room. I have also been in rooms where it was fun to have everyone rotate playing and just general discussion on specific pieces or trouble spots on particular pieces.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Currently working on:
1. Schubert - Impromptu Op.90 # 1 and Moments Musicaux #3
2. Bach- Prelude & Fugue (F Minor - WTC 2
3. Schumann Arabesque Op18
My YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Morodiene] #2828128
Yesterday at 06:34 AM
Yesterday at 06:34 AM
Canada
SAMoore Offline
2000 Post Club Member
SAMoore  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Canada
Ok I must be doing something wrong. It is asking for a server address and I don’t see practice rooms to ‘wander in or out’ of Do you need to be ‘invited’

[Linked Image]
Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: SAMoore] #2828131
Yesterday at 06:58 AM
Yesterday at 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by SAMoore
Ok I must be doing something wrong. It is asking for a server address and I don’t see practice rooms to ‘wander in or out’ of Do you need to be ‘invited’

You followed the directions in this thread right? In particular, did you create an account on here which is the "invitation" from "Roe"?

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: AssociateX] #2828484
Yesterday at 11:31 PM
Yesterday at 11:31 PM
California
A
AdagioLearner Offline
AdagioLearner  Offline
A

California
Thank you!

Re: Using virtual Piano Practice Rooms on Discord Pinano Server [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2828543
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
Canada
SAMoore Offline
2000 Post Club Member
SAMoore  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Canada
Thank you! I’m in now👍

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha PF-1000
by Gavin24985. 03/19/19 09:09 AM
Happy Birthday Lennie Tristano!
by Dfrankjazz. 03/19/19 05:09 AM
“Spring Time” - A beautiful song
by Vũ Trần. 03/19/19 05:08 AM
Piano action issue
by kokatla. 03/19/19 04:31 AM
Practice session of Chopin prelude 3
by baudelairepianist. 03/19/19 12:26 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics190,989
Posts2,808,076
Members92,812
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission