Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
104 registered members (AnnInMiami, ando, BarryR, akressevich, 90125, bambooninja, 27 invisible), 1,203 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Drop of motivation [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2800766
01/11/19 07:05 AM
01/11/19 07:05 AM
T
TomInCinci Offline
TomInCinci  Offline
T

Originally Posted by CadenzaVvi
Well, saying that "music has no meaning if I can't perform" might be an overstatement, but I felt like something was missing in my first 1,5 year at the piano, and that something was the option to play for others. Art is made to be shared. It is not vain in itself, but it is so much more when you can share it. Why write a book if not to be read by someone? Why paint a painting if no to be seen by anyone? Why to play music if not to be heard by anyone?

I've never heard anyone else say that they feel the same way I do about playing. For me it quickly breaks down into three categories:

1) Playing by myself. I enjoy it and the logistics are easy.
2) Performing for others, which I hate and from which I derive no joy. My dogs are my only audience.
3) Playing with friends. I love this but it gets a little harder to get people together with each passing year.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Drop of motivation [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2800769
01/11/19 07:28 AM
01/11/19 07:28 AM
Owen Sound, Ontario
G
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
Greener  Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

G

Owen Sound, Ontario
And I don't recall ever saying something like "I'll be happy when."

Originally Posted by CadenzaVvin
When I'll be very good, I might be happy with my level...

I'll be so happy when I'll be able to play that Nocturne, that Debussy, that... when I'll have overcome some more challenges. Then new challenges will seem possible to overcome as well and I'll continue my progress..."

I appreciate less when I'm told that my point of view is wrong, though).

Do you just want agreement then? How can anyone help?

Re: Drop of motivation [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2800778
01/11/19 08:40 AM
01/11/19 08:40 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

But I realize that many people don't feel the way I do. Which is perfectly fine and, in fact, it is interesting to see the variety of approaches.
(I appreciate less when I'm told that my point of view is wrong, though).

And then, of course, there are some people who do feel the way you do! smile

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Drop of motivation [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2800779
01/11/19 08:43 AM
01/11/19 08:43 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida
Well, saying that "music has no meaning if I can't perform" might be an overstatement, but I felt like something was missing in my first 1,5 year at the piano, and that something was the option to play for others. Art is made to be shared. It is not vain in itself, but it is so much more when you can share it. Why write a book if not to be read by someone? Why paint a painting if no to be seen by anyone? Why to play music if not to be heard by anyone?

I know not all people feel the need to play for others. I know the anxiety and all the stuff. But for me, just practicing for myself is not enough. On the long run, even though I enjoy it, there is something missing. And I feel like it should be understandable.
There are loads of writers, painters, singers, musicians that do what they do so they can be read, seen, heard, and that wouldn't do it otherwise. It seems like something perfectly reasonable and normal (the contrary is not "not normal". Don't make me say what I didn't).

And I don't recall ever saying something like "I'll be happy when".
I consider myself as being happy overall, but I'm disappointed with my "piano life" right now and I want that to improve and be fulfilling again.

I really thought I'd find people who understands me in here, since we are all amateur pianists and most of us must have went through some discouragement periods.
But I realize that many people don't feel the way I do. Which is perfectly fine and, in fact, it is interesting to see the variety of approaches.

-

Anyway, at first, I wanted to come here to share my happiness of the night. I had my first lesson of 2019 tonight. It went pretty much as usual. I was a little bit disappointed of myself because I haven't practice much since our last lesson, but didn't want to cancel.
There is not much to be said about the lesson. It went smoothly and there wasn't anything out of the ordinary. After the lesson, as usual, I stayed at the conservatory, in the practice room, to take some notes about the lesson. Then I've stayed to practice. And, to my surprise, considering how tired I was, I stayed there for 1h45. I've only practiced the first page of my Debussy, often in very short sections at a time. Nothing to make me feel like I was kind of playing the piece.
But, in the end, when I realized the time it was, I stood up, took my scores smiling and feeling so serene. Previously, I was feeling like this almost every time after a practice session (not always. We all have bad days). But I hadn't had that feeling in a few months. I feel just so good right now!

I texted my teacher just because I told him a bit about what I was going through in one lesson in December, and he asked me if I still liked playing piano. There was no doubt for me that the answer was yes, even though the motivation and energy wasn't there. And I wanted him to know that tonight, our lesson really made me feel good (in the past, I was often invigorated from my lessons. It gave me ideas on how to continue improving and willingness to but the advice into practice. This is in part what happened tonight. And I know my teacher sometimes doubt of himself, feeling he is too punctilious. But it's one of the reason I like him. He is thorough.).

Let's hope it will continue tomorrow!

Glad you had a good lesson and enjoyment in practicing! Keep it up! One thing I'd be careful about, though, is practicing with fatigue can be less productive; also, staying on one piece for 1 hr 45 min can also drop productivity. Might mix in some other practice to break it up.

Don't forget to sleep

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Bach Goldberg Aria
Bach WTC Prelude D min
Piazzolla Invierno Porteno
Re: Drop of motivation [Re: cmb13] #2800874
01/11/19 01:08 PM
01/11/19 01:08 PM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline OP
CadenzaVvi  Offline OP

Quebec city, QC
Originally Posted by Greener
And I don't recall ever saying something like "I'll be happy when."

Originally Posted by CadenzaVvin
When I'll be very good, I might be happy with my level...

I'll be so happy when I'll be able to play that Nocturne, that Debussy, that... when I'll have overcome some more challenges. Then new challenges will seem possible to overcome as well and I'll continue my progress..."

I appreciate less when I'm told that my point of view is wrong, though).

Do you just want agreement then? How can anyone help?

Hmm, I feel those are out of context, or that maybe the language barrier made those statements mean something else than I intended.

It is true that I'll be happy when I'll be able to play my nocturne. But it doesn't mean that I'm not happy right now.

As for the example concerning the level, it was more to say "maybe one day, I won't want to become better. I'll be happy / satisfied / I'll consider my level high enough that I won't feel the need to improve". I really doubt this day will happen, but it was specifically answering someone else. For now, progressing is a big part of what motivates me. If there was no improvement, I would most certainly quit the piano.

I hope that clarifies the situation.

Originally Posted by elenmirie
After the lesson, as usual, I stayed at the conservatory, in the practice room, to take some notes about the lesson. Then I've stayed to practice. And, to my surprise, considering how tired I was, I stayed there for 1h45. I've only practiced the first page of my Debussy, often in very short sections at a time. Nothing to make me feel like I was kind of playing the piece.
But, in the end, when I realized the time it was, I stood up, took my scores smiling and feeling so serene. Previously, I was feeling like this almost every time after a practice session (not always. We all have bad days). But I hadn't had that feeling in a few months. I feel just so good right now!

[...]

That makes me very, very happy for you! You were in flow on that practice session... there's nothing so satisfying as that.

When I spotted your thread today, I read "drop of motivation" more like "drop of water", if that makes sense. As in, put a drop of motivation in a glass of time and see what happens... then I clicked on it and read that, fantastic.

What do you think was the difference that made the difference?

Hmmm, nothing in particular. I've come back from my vacation. I might be less exhausted in general (even though I felt tired yesterday). And, hopping back into work, I'm trying to hop into my previous piano routine, trying to stop the vicious cercle to go back in the "virtuous" circle (practice --> progress --> motivation --> practice). I've practiced a little 30 minutes on monday, 1 hour on tuesday. I didn't practice wednesday (I had something else in the evening and came back home late). Then 1h15 lesson thursday and 1h45 of practice. So maybe simply getting back into it, feeling the progress is what made the difference.

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

And then, of course, there are some people who do feel the way you do! smile

Yes, I choose carefully my word, with "many" and not "all", thinking of you. smile

Originally Posted by cmb13

I know not all people feel the need to play for others. I know the anxiety and all the stuff. But for me, just practicing for myself is not enough. On the long run, even though I enjoy it, there is something missing. And I feel like it should be understandable.
There are loads of writers, painters, singers, musicians that do what they do so they can be read, seen, heard, and that wouldn't do it otherwise. It seems like something perfectly reasonable and normal (the contrary is not "not normal". Don't make me say what I didn't).

And I don't recall ever saying something like "I'll be happy when".
I consider myself as being happy overall, but I'm disappointed with my "piano life" right now and I want that to improve and be fulfilling again.

I really thought I'd find people who understands me in here, since we are all amateur pianists and most of us must have went through some discouragement periods.

-

Anyway, at first, I wanted to come here to share my happiness of the night. I had my first lesson of 2019 tonight. It went pretty much as usual. I was a little bit disappointed of myself because I haven't practice much since our last lesson, but didn't want to cancel.
There is not much to be said about the lesson. It went smoothly and there wasn't anything out of the ordinary. After the lesson, as usual, I stayed at the conservatory, in the practice room, to take some notes about the lesson. Then I've stayed to practice. And, to my surprise, considering how tired I was, I stayed there for 1h45. I've only practiced the first page of my Debussy, often in very short sections at a time. Nothing to make me feel like I was kind of playing the piece.

I texted my teacher just because I told him a bit about what I was going through in one lesson in December, and he asked me if I still liked playing piano. There was no doubt for me that the answer was yes, even though the motivation and energy wasn't there. And I wanted him to know that tonight, our lesson really made me feel good (in the past, I was often invigorated from my lessons. It gave me ideas on how to continue improving and willingness to but the advice into practice. This is in part what happened tonight. And I know my teacher sometimes doubt of himself, feeling he is too punctilious. But it's one of the reason I like him. He is thorough.).

Glad you had a good lesson and enjoyment in practicing! Keep it up! One thing I'd be careful about, though, is practicing with fatigue can be less productive; also, staying on one piece for 1 hr 45 min can also drop productivity. Might mix in some other practice to break it up.

Don't forget to sleep

The 1h45, in fact, was more
- 30 minutes to take notes on the lesson
- 15 minutes of scales and sight singing exercices (not exactly "sight" singing. More like playing a note, singing the major scale, the triads of each degree of the scale, and doing the same with the relative minor)
- 1 hour on the piece

Sleepy practice is less efficient, but certainly better than no practice. smile
I'll try to get some well deserved rest this week-end though. This first week of work has been busy!

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Beethoven, sonata op. 49, no. 1, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
Re: Drop of motivation [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2800897
01/11/19 02:26 PM
01/11/19 02:26 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Online content
Qwerty53  Online Content

Salish Sea
Just read through the thread and I was so happy to see this, CadenzaVvi: “But, in the end, when I realized the time it was, I stood up, took my scores smiling and feeling so serene.” Isn’t that a delicious feeling?!

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Drop of motivation [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2800959
01/11/19 04:53 PM
01/11/19 04:53 PM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline OP
CadenzaVvi  Offline OP

Quebec city, QC
It is! That's why I missed it since it was gone those past months! smile

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Beethoven, sonata op. 49, no. 1, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai vs yamaha conservatory grands
by kokatla. 01/17/19 09:10 PM
Name that piano! Prizes! Fame!
by Bruce In Philly. 01/17/19 07:26 PM
Concerns about buying the MP11SE due to possible MIDI issues
by Scriavel Bachmanin. 01/17/19 05:14 PM
Debussy plays Clair de Lune
by prout. 01/17/19 05:11 PM
Yamaha P-255 to P-515?
by MegaPiano. 01/17/19 03:56 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,633
Posts2,782,961
Members92,145
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission