2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
rogerc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Currently have a Yamaha PSR 900. Love it BUT... it only has 61 keys and I really want 88 keys and a very realistic key action.
The things I really like in the PSR 900:
1. Playing midi files and changing the voices of lead instruments etc.
2. Hooking up to my computer and IPad to run programs like Notation and play along on the keyboard.
3. Having a lot of voices to choose from.
4. Being able to layer voices.

What is currently on the market that has a good piano voice and has all of the features listed above?
In other words how can I upgrade my PSR 900 and get 88 keys and possibly better sounds?

Does the Yamaha DXG 660 accomplish this with good voices or is it not enough of an upgrade?
Does the Casio PX 560 accomplish this and have good piano sounds?
Want to keep it under $2000 dollars if possible.

All input is greatly appreciated.
RC

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Both DGX660 and Casio PX 560 have an hammer action. This is a good point. There is also the Korg Havian.

You should try them and compare in a shop.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 01/02/19 07:14 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by rogerc
Currently have a Yamaha PSR 900. Love it BUT... it only has 61 keys and I really want 88 keys and a very realistic key action.
The things I really like in the PSR 900:
2. Hooking up to my computer and IPad to run programs like Notation and play along on the keyboard.

What is currently on the market that has a good piano voice and has all of the features listed above?
In other words how can I upgrade my PSR 900 and get 88 keys and possibly better sounds?

Does the Yamaha DXG 660 accomplish this with good voices or is it not enough of an upgrade?
Does the Casio PX 560 accomplish this and have good piano sounds?
Want to keep it under $2000 dollars if possible.

All input is greatly appreciated.
RC

Many DPs in your price range can do most of the things on your list, but I want clarification for #1: are you talking about editing midi files within the DP? I think if this feature is available, it may be limiting. Editing midi files is far, far simpler using a computer and DAW, and then playing through your DP or whatever setup you choose.

Also, depending on the kinds of other sounds you want (I.e., orchestral) you may be more satisfied with using software for that. Of course, you will find nice piano sounds onboard many DPs under $2k, but often software will surpass onboard sounds.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
You may want to consider also the Yamaha P515. In theory is a better keyboard than the DGX660. As for sounds, it includes the XG sound set. The PSR 900 also includes the XG sounds, but then many more.

I'm tempted to say that every piano made today does all of these things.
Perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe there are some that don't.
But most do, so the point is made. It's easy to fulfill your needs.

Hmm, I looked up the keyboard you mentioned it's classified as an 'arranger keyboard'. That's more of a separate class of keyboards than 'digital pianos', like 'workstation keyboards'.

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
R
rogerc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
First thanks for all the replies....
To answer and clarify some of the questions and statement above.
I am really not editing the midi file as much as changing the voice on the keyboard as it plays.
Yes the PSR 9xx are arranger keyboards.

Guess what I am asking is there a Arranger Keyboard with 88 keys, piano key and feel, and most of the features of the Yamaha PSR S900 model?

It appears that the Casio PX 560 is the closest keyboard currently on the market.
Any others?????
Hope something comes out of Namm 2019 that suits my wishes.

Guess what I am asking is there a Arranger Keyboard with 88 keys, piano key and feel, and most of the features of the Yamaha PSR S900 model?

Currently you have two Yamaha models to choose from:
  • YPG-535 a.k.a. DGX-530
  • DGX-660

If those don't meet your quality standards then your next choice is from the more expensive Clavinovas CVP. But then even top of the line Clavinova CVP 709 doesn't have e.g. arpeggiator that is available on much cheaper PSR models, e.g. PSR-S670 or PSR-E463.

The main advantage of YPG-535 that it has the "Easy Arranger" button that allows you to change the accompaniment arrangement with a few key-presses. If you need to change just the lead voice then nearly every model has this: just press&hold the "voice" button.
Hope something comes out of Namm 2019 that suits my wishes.

My bet is that you are going to get disappointed. Every manufacturer is currently going for market segmentation to force people to buy multiple devices with minimum overlap in the functionality. The newest Roland portable 88 keys has only 4 tones/voices.

Last edited by 90125; 01/07/19 03:51 PM. Reason: clarified Clavinova's marketing
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Check the Korg Kross 2 88 and also their Krome 88. They have very good piano sounds and lots of features.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
All the models you mentioned have built-in speakers, is that a feature you want as well?

R
rogerc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Yes, would like "good" built in speakers but also a good speaker out set up to be able to hook up some good monitors if I want to in the future.

Casio seems to be teasing us for the NAMM 2019.
Come on someone put out a good 88 keyboard with good action and arranger set up with fantastic sounds for under $2500 USD.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A

Anything that includes the GM (General MIDI) spec will work. Tons of possibilities.

Yes, would like "good" built in speakers

That's what will narrow it down. The aforementioned Yamaha P515 and Roland FP90 could be good possibilities. Though also, I'm not clear as to what, if any, "arranger" features you need (i.e. the ability for the board to generate backing tracks on the fly, which is different from playing MIDI files).

But one other thing to think about, since you love your PSR 900 and just wish for a good 88-key action... You can probably buy a nice 88-key board (anything with a 5-pin DIN MIDI out) and plug it into the PS 900 to play the PSR from an 88-key hammer action.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Check out the Korg Havian 30

Sandy

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by piRround
Check out the Korg Havian 30

I thought of that one too, if the arranger features are important, but it's discontinued. I actually briefly considered buying one, but the connectivity was too crippled.

T
T
Only the Yamaha CVP provides the features you want but these pianos are ridiculously expencive.

C
C
Yes, would like "good" built in speakers but also a good speaker out

Come on someone put out a good 88 keyboard with good action and arranger set up with fantastic sounds for under $2500 USD.

Reviving this thread since I’m wondering the exact same thing almost 3 years later!

B
B
Isn't the Roland Fantom 8 an arranger keyboard?
And what about the RD2000?
Both have a great action (PHA-50)

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by ClemFandango
Yes, would like "good" built in speakers but also a good speaker out

Reviving this thread since I’m wondering the exact same thing almost 3 years later!

The answers here are all shallow answers. None discusses how ugly the midi file will sound if you play it on another keyboard and how bad the GM voices are.

Your best bet is that if you have a Yamaha PSR keyboard and you have recorded the midi files using standard voices, then you can play them (partially) acceptable on a DGX-670.

This sort of solution is a colossal loss of money. You have a crappy MIDI file and you want to spend 2000 to have it played on a beginner's DP using the GM voices that will sound even worst than the PSR in the first place.

The proper solution is to make the MIDI set up in a DAW, fix the voices there then do two things:
1- Export to audio and play along with the audio file on your keyboard
2- Play along with the midi file using a DAW and a sampler VST (there are ton of them and they all sound darn good)

No other solution that sounds decent comes to my mind.

Last edited by Abdol; 10/14/21 10:57 AM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by brennbaer
Isn't the Roland Fantom 8 an arranger keyboard?
And what about the RD2000?
Neither are arrangers per se, and neither has built-in speakers.

J
J
I recently moved from an expensive arranger keyboard (Korg Pa3x) to a Yamaha P121 and wanted to keep using my large number of midi files with the new setup.
I solved the problem by using two apps on my iPhone which connects to the Yamaha P121 which sends midi and receives digital audio back to the piano.
The first app is "Sweet Midi Player" which will not only play midi files but also has a built in mixer to swap, mute, change volume of instruments etc, but also displays lyrics to midis with lyrics/karaoke files.
The default GM set of instruments is only mediocre but you can use your own GM set (like Roland sound canvas or even a free set I have compiled - available here https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/
You can play along to the midis with the Yamaha's internal sounds or with another app (like bs-16i that allows you to play soundfonts).
I'm very happy with this set up - it only requires one USB cable and the Apple CCK for everything to work - including audio back to the Yamaha's speakers or headphones.

Last edited by Jonky Ponky; 10/14/21 04:21 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission