2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, 7 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
OP Offline
A
I really started to like Chopin's other waltzes and so I went to local music store and got this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Walzer-Waltz...438&sr=8-3&keywords=chopin+henle

Last edited by Artur Gajewski; 01/16/19 05:39 AM.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Chopin - Waltz in A minor
A
OP Offline
A
Here is my progress since my last recording: http://arturgajewski.com/rec/Chopin%20-%20Waltz%20in%20A%20Minor%20-%20Progress%202.mp3

What do you guys think? It's getting easier, especially first two chords. For some reason G7 is really hard to play, I quite often play G, B, E or G, C, F.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think you're getting there! This is about the stage I'm in with my waltz right now. You're right to keep it slow for now, until you have both the technical and the musical part down. It's what I do, although I'm itching to rush ahead smile

A
OP Offline
A
I know the feeling but you are correct. The emotion and dynamics come later.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
It sounding good, I think you're picking it up faster than I did when I started with it! I think I spent the first two weeks just playing the left hand by itself over and over trying to figure out how to make those jumps.

With the significant caveat that I'm a piano student with little more than two years of playing, having spent so many months with it I learned to hear my copious mistakes. My advice would be start thinking about bringing the left hand down in volume versus the right. Especially the second and third beat. First, you don't want to overpower the right hand melody, and second you want to give it the "waltz feel" which means the downbeat is emphasized and the remaining beats are softer. A couple of things my teacher had me do to help with this were 1) playing without pedal, play the right hand legato and the left with a light staccato. 2) For the third beat, you don't even need to lift your hand off the keys when you play or even let them fully return to their top position, that will help the third beat be "almost a whisper."

And good ambition on the Waltz book, funny I did the same thing (though not the Henle, the Palmer/Alfred.) I will tell you, every single one is currently beyond my ability but it's an "aspiration" book for me.

To Qazsedcft, my teacher thinks my 25% Polish blood (thanks Grandma Kocol!) must be what draws me to Chopin smile

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Artur Gajewski
Here is my progress since my last recording: http://arturgajewski.com/rec/Chopin%20-%20Waltz%20in%20A%20Minor%20-%20Progress%202.mp3

What do you guys think? It's getting easier, especially first two chords. For some reason G7 is really hard to play, I quite often play G, B, E or G, C, F.

You are progressing ok.

I think pausing every time you have a hard part you should try and avoid and the best way to do this is to play much slower.

I would suggest you slow down the rhythm to play slower and steady.

I actually would not worry about anything else at this stage.

A few smaller things

- Bar 4 has an ornament in the right hand
- The second time around (Bar 7) the left hand G7 changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9oPjsqR5EE

What about the rest of the piece ?

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Moo :)

When I was first learning, my teacher had me skip the ornamentation to make it a little easier to focus on the fingerings and dynamics, I don't know that it's worth worrying about yet.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Ok.

But if an ornament was so difficult - I would have suggested the simplified version.

It seems a very hard piece for a first lesson. It took me a few years of lessons until I could play fur elise and something of this level.

5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
When you talk about the difficulty of leaps in the left hand, remember that this is typical Chopin, so when you conquer this waltz, you are opening the door to many other pieces too. If you ever feel like a piece is too much like work, remember there's a whole world of pieces that you are opening up for yourself as you tackle each difficulty.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber

May I assume that you are occasionally practicing the left hand alone? Since it is the left hand reaching for the chords that causes pauses in your playing, you should continue to practice the left hand separately until you can reach those chords - at whatever tempo is comfortable - without having to pause.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by squidbot
It sounding good, I think you're picking it up faster than I did when I started with it! I think I spent the first two weeks just playing the left hand by itself over and over trying to figure out how to make those jumps.

I practice at least one hour every day. Making those leaps was hard for me at the beginning but my teacher of one lesson so far gave me some good pointers. Just a week ago I couldn't believe my hands could do such leaps.

My advice would be start thinking about bringing the left hand down in volume versus the right.

My hands are at the stage where I am focusing about 95% where to place the fingers and the strength is what it is. Thank you for the tips and yes, I am trying to control the volume.

And good ambition on the Waltz book, funny I did the same thing (though not the Henle, the Palmer/Alfred.) I will tell you, every single one is currently beyond my ability but it's an "aspiration" book for me.

Yes, feels good to have it on the piano stand and gives me motivation.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
A
OP Offline
A
You are progressing ok.

I think pausing every time you have a hard part you should try and avoid and the best way to do this is to play much slower.

I would suggest you slow down the rhythm to play slower and steady.

I actually would not worry about anything else at this stage.

A few smaller things

- The second time around (Bar 7) the left hand G7 changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9oPjsqR5EE

What about the rest of the piece ?

Yes I have tried to play slower but the same happens. I guess it must be some kind of problem with the thought process as with the G7 my thought are lost, doesn't matter if I play slow or faster. When I woke up this morning I practiced a little along with the altered G7 on the second time (thanks for that note) and the G7 came out a lot better than on my last recording. I am also starting to pick up on the ornaments wink

The way I practice is in pieces. I want to handle portion first before moving along to the end. Otherwise it just seems too much to grasp.

Last edited by Artur Gajewski; 01/19/19 04:38 AM.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
A
OP Offline
A
Ok.

But if an ornament was so difficult - I would have suggested the simplified version.

It seems a very hard piece for a first lesson. It took me a few years of lessons until I could play fur elise and something of this level.

It is very hard piece for me to learn, yes. But as I am progressing it seems that what I already know becomes easier. Also, my left hand was never a strong case since I started playing piano by accompanying songs on youtube by playing triads with right hand and only base notes in two octaves with left hands pinky and thumb. Now that I need to use the middle finger as well and make leaps, it brings up a challenge but my finders are getting used to the work smile

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by johnstaf
When you talk about the difficulty of leaps in the left hand, remember that this is typical Chopin, so when you conquer this waltz, you are opening the door to many other pieces too. If you ever feel like a piece is too much like work, remember there's a whole world of pieces that you are opening up for yourself as you tackle each difficulty.

Yes I have noticed this and realised that once my left hand becomes a team player as well, I will be able to enjoy so much more.

Last edited by Artur Gajewski; 01/19/19 04:43 AM.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by BruceD

May I assume that you are occasionally practicing the left hand alone? Since it is the left hand reaching for the chords that causes pauses in your playing, you should continue to practice the left hand separately until you can reach those chords - at whatever tempo is comfortable - without having to pause.

Regards,

I do, infact that is how I first started with this waltz. My teacher instructed to hit the bottom A note, then take the leap and position all three fingers to Am chord but not press them yet. Just keep this in that position for a second or two until I am satisfied with how the fingers are position. Then instead of pressing with fingers, let the wrist just drop and make the fingers press the keys.

I repeated the first leap probably couple hundred times and then continued to next one, etc... Then I moved on to all four leaps as played.

The problem might not actually be that my fingers can't find the correct chords as they do when I play only left hand. When I take the right hand into play, the third leap seems to block my thought process.

I'm not sure if I know how to explain this exactly smile

Last edited by Artur Gajewski; 01/19/19 04:48 AM.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
A
OP Offline
A

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

That's considerably steadier than the previous rendition and therefore shows progress. How much of the Waltz are you able to play in this manner?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M

Yes I have tried to play slower but the same happens. I guess it must be some kind of problem with the thought process as with the G7 my thought are lost, doesn't matter if I play slow or faster. When I woke up this morning I practiced a little along with the altered G7 on the second time (thanks for that note) and the G7 came out a lot better than on my last recording. I am also starting to pick up on the ornaments wink

The way I practice is in pieces. I want to handle portion first before moving along to the end. Otherwise it just seems too much to grasp.

It sounds a lot lot better today.; The tempo was steady and you dont have the hestitation. How did you manage it in 1 day ?!

Try to keep it at a slow tempo and steady. Never be tempted to speed up until you can play the hard parts really well - really a good lesson to learn !

I actually also learn my pieces in blocks so I think its ok. Normally it is because I only practice a piece from what I do in the lesson. The only problem is that often the beginning is much better than the end. I normally have to limit tempo to ensure it is ok.

Music is really ruined if you try and race through and it is much better to keep it slow and play it properly. Speed is normally the last thing I work on. Especially in this piece where it gets harder and you are likely to struggle I would not increase the tempo at all.

Bar 7 where the chord changes this is more difficult but it really is not a big issue. You need to slow down time and play as slow as you need to until you can do it without hestitation. It hands separately as Bruce suggested and practice. If you practice on something really really slowly you can do it.

If you ever have this problem of hesitation slow down the tempo more and play it steady. Would be intereested to see the progress. GOod luck.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by BruceD

That's considerably steadier than the previous rendition and therefore shows progress. How much of the Waltz are you able to play in this manner?

Regards,

This is all that I know so far.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
A
OP Offline
A
It sounds a lot lot better today.; The tempo was steady and you dont have the hestitation. How did you manage it in 1 day ?!

I practiced this for total of three hours today. When I finally was able to manage to play it like this multiple times in a row, I was happy to end my day with the piano laugh

I actually also learn my pieces in blocks so I think its ok. Normally it is because I only practice a piece from what I do in the lesson. The only problem is that often the beginning is much better than the end. I normally have to limit tempo to ensure it is ok.

Yes this is the the case for me with Fur Elise. I play the first 16 bars from muscle memory and the next 16 bars is little harder to play since I haven't practiced it so much.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission