2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hello!
I recently bought a Casio PX-160 and I’m very happy with it. However, when I practice pieces like Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata,” I noticed that my pedal blurred a lot of the notes. This is especially apparent in the 3rd movement with the sweeping arpeggios up the keyboard. I checked online for a solution to the problem, and found out that I need to use “fractional pedaling .” My problem is that my pedal doesn’t support fractonal pedaling, and I don’t know if this digital piano does either. If anyone can recommend pedals that supports this type of pedaling, and is compatible with my digital piano (if at all), that would be amazing! Thank you in future reference for your time and effort.

MStone2002
C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
You'll need the SP-33 triple pedal bar for the "fractional pedaling" or "half damper" feature as it's also known as.

It's mentioned in the User's Manual.

M
OP Offline
M
Alright, thank you!

MStone2002
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
FYI, I think the SP-33 requires the whole big piano stand:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...-for-privia-150-350-requires-cs-67-stand

It looks like there are some third-party pedals that are universal (i.e., should work with Casio) and support half-pedaling, such as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-SP-2-Universal-Electronic-Keyboards/dp/B00063678K

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
FYI, I think the SP-33 requires the whole big piano stand

Sure, unless you DIY some kind of mechanical support for it. But having an X stand and the pedal bar would look silly. smile

It looks like there are some third-party pedals that are universal (i.e., should work with Casio) and support half-pedaling

There's no standard for the half damper capable pedal design. It varies between manufacturers. And that M-Audio pedal is just a simple switch.

There's just a mistake on the Amazon page. And it's funny reading the answers from the actual sellers to the question about the half damper capability:

- Does have sensitivity same as ground piano
- To my knowledge all sustain pedals either sustain on or sustain off. I have yet to hear of one which has gradient sensitivity and have no idea how it would be used.

Oh dear...

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
FYI, I think the SP-33 requires the whole big piano stand

Sure, unless you DIY some kind of mechanical support for it. But having an X stand and the pedal bar would look silly. smile

It looks like there are some third-party pedals that are universal (i.e., should work with Casio) and support half-pedaling

There's no standard for the half damper capable pedal design. It varies between manufacturers. And that M-Audio pedal is just a simple switch.

There's just a mistake on the Amazon page. And it's funny reading the answers from the actual sellers to the question about the half damper capability:

- Does have sensitivity same as ground piano
- To my knowledge all sustain pedals either sustain on or sustain off. I have yet to hear of one which has gradient sensitivity and have no idea how it would be used.

Oh dear...

Hey, good catch. Quite right: the description says it has half-pedal function, but a number of reviews say that it clearly doesn't. Thanks!

G
G
So before this thread slides too far down the list - anyone have first-hand experience with a half-damping pedal that works with a PX-160? That one's also on my short list...

TIA - Gerhard

They say extra practice can make up for modesty of talent (up to a point) - I sure hope so...
M
OP Offline
M
Yes! If anyone has first-hand experience with this problem please post your suggestions. I would preferably not want to spend that much money on a pedal system that isn't compatible with my current stand now.

MStone2002
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I've been searching around, and I'm having trouble finding a half-damper pedal that will work with the PX-160 other than the Casio SP-33, which requires the aforementioned stand and/or some DIY ...

C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Theoretically you could take just the actual pedal mechanism apart from the SP-33, throw the long plastic bar away (or keep it) and screw the pedal mechanism to a piece of plywood. And then make a nice case.

Maybe practically too and not only theoretically.

Or modify some other half damper pedal (Roland DP-10, Yamaha FC-3) to work with a Casio. They are very basic electronics after all.

And if anyone with a modern Casio comes up with the older SP-32 pedal, then it will need some modification (possibly just re-wiring?) and isn't compatible "out of the box".

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
Theoretically you could take just the actual pedal mechanism apart from the SP-33, throw the long plastic bar away (or keep it) and screw the pedal mechanism to a piece of plywood. And then make a nice case.

Maybe practically too and not only theoretically.

I have an SP33 for my px-350. I tie it across the feet of my X-stand. works OK.

You really could cut off most of the long plastic mounting bar, and make a box to hold the 3-pedal center section.

Or modify some other half damper pedal (Roland DP-10, Yamaha FC-3) to work with a Casio. They are very basic electronics after all.

Two problems:

1. the connector to the px-350 isn't standard 1/4" plug, but a 4-wire automotive-style locking plug. You'd have to work out the wiring, to use different pedals

2. On the px-350, using the SP-33, there is _one_ level of half-pedalling. There's a menu option that sets how deep it is, from "almost fully damped" to "Almost open strings".

.... It's not _continuous_ half-pedalling.

It will help with the Moonlight, but it's not ideal.

check the px-160 manual, it may be the same.

It is possible to control the virtual dampers, continuously, with MIDI messages. Setting that up is one of my suspended research projects.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 01/08/19 04:46 AM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission