2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
28 registered members (Bett, danielp11, DionG, Fer15, Boboulus, Calavera, dng, 6 invisible), 401 guests, and 441 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Any lovers of Medtner here? #2797958 01/02/19 11:18 PM
M
MrCatMissMew Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I've been listening to Nikolai Medtner's Sonata Tragica (Yevgeny Sudbin and Geoffrey Tozer). Is someone here familiar with his repertoire and can nominate some simpler pieces?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Any lovers of Medtner here? [Re: MrCatMissMew] #2798033 01/03/19 08:21 AM
255 Offline
All his skazka are beautiful.

Re: Any lovers of Medtner here? [Re: MrCatMissMew] #2798052 01/03/19 09:17 AM
T
Tim Adrianson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, MCMM! There is very little Medtner that I would consider "simple", but some of his Skazki (called Fairy Tales in English, somewhat incorrectly, IMO) fall into the late intermediate category. Dover provides a low priced edition of all his Skazki, and we're talking a lot of music here -- he wrote Skazki all of his life, typically in sets, much like Grieg did with his Lyric Pieces.

Re: Any lovers of Medtner here? [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2798078 01/03/19 10:48 AM
T
TwoSnowflakes Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
Hi, MCMM! There is very little Medtner that I would consider "simple", but some of his Skazki (called Fairy Tales in English, somewhat incorrectly, IMO) fall into the late intermediate category. Dover provides a low priced edition of all his Skazki, and we're talking a lot of music here -- he wrote Skazki all of his life, typically in sets, much like Grieg did with his Lyric Pieces.

If you don’t mind....which ones, specifically, would you peg in the late intermediate category? I’ve been wanting something Medtner to explore but I have so many other things that need to be going on at the same time, I can’t fit a hugely difficult piece in there right now.

You’re right that “skazka” doesn’t really mean fairy tale but I don’t know quite what would substitute for it in less than five words! There are, however, a lot of lovely little skazki by various composers out there! I’d love to add a Medtner to the list!

Re: Any lovers of Medtner here? [Re: MrCatMissMew] #2798089 01/03/19 11:18 AM
P
PianogrlNW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I got interested in the skaki a few years ago, listened to many of them and decided to learn Op 51 No 2. This is about a RCM level 9 piece but there are some extra challenges in voicing it correctly and playing to tempo. I never polished the piece to perform it among friends but may return to it some day. It was challenging but also intriguing.

Re: Any lovers of Medtner here? [Re: MrCatMissMew] #2798091 01/03/19 11:22 AM
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Another one of the Fairy Tales that's not extremely hard and very lyrical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHYk_kxABwQ

Re: Any lovers of Medtner here? [Re: TwoSnowflakes] #2798107 01/03/19 12:25 PM
T
Tim Adrianson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, TwoSnowflakes -- I would say 26-1 and 26-3 are in the late intermediate category; 34-2 (assuming you've got good left hand technique); 42-1 and 42-2; 51-2, 51-3, and 51-4. That should give you a good start!

As regards the translation of Skazki, I prefer to call them just "Tales", only because "Fairy Tales" in the Western world tend to imply stories for children, typically with some type of moral directive. I would say that the Slavic world has a different understanding of the fantastical figures that populate "Skazki", and they're for adults as well, but I agree that the proper description is cumbersome to elucidate.

Re: Any lovers of Medtner here? [Re: MrCatMissMew] #2798124 01/03/19 01:29 PM
O
OscoBosco Offline
O
I heard that his fairytales are wonderful gems worth listening to and studying because he had a very unique style. A lot of people tell me my music sounds like Medtner with my piano piece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpZqgxf_d1E but I am not that acquainted with the composer's music. I will definitely use the suggestions in this thread myself.

Re: Any lovers of Medtner here? [Re: MrCatMissMew] #2798176 01/03/19 04:55 PM
S
scriabinfanatic Offline
S
I've been an avid listener of Medtner's music for many years (it's a good thing CDs don't wear out, or my Tozer [near-]complete Medtner discs would be worn down to the nub by now!)...so when I came back to playing piano seriously, I picked one of my favorite Medtner pieces to learn. And it's also a work that is not as fiendishly difficult as so much of his work. It's the oddly-titled "Hymns in Praise of Toil." It's very sunny, uplifting, tuneful "goose-bumps" music. It's a three-movement work, but each movement can stand on its own. I learned the first movement/"Hymn". I hope to learn the other two movements someday, but they sound more difficult.

Re: Any lovers of Medtner here? [Re: scriabinfanatic] #2798268 01/03/19 11:48 PM
M
MrCatMissMew Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by scriabinfanatic
I've been an avid listener of Medtner's music for many years (it's a good thing CDs don't wear out, or my Tozer [near-]complete Medtner discs would be worn down to the nub by now!)...so when I came back to playing piano seriously, I picked one of my favorite Medtner pieces to learn. And it's also a work that is not as fiendishly difficult as so much of his work. It's the oddly-titled "Hymns in Praise of Toil." It's very sunny, uplifting, tuneful "goose-bumps" music. It's a three-movement work, but each movement can stand on its own. I learned the first movement/"Hymn". I hope to learn the other two movements someday, but they sound more difficult.

Did you know there's a documentary newly out about Tozer and his tragic death? The Eulogy - there's a trailer on Youtube but it's hard to get hold of.

I've been listening to Tozer's rendition of the Sonata Tragica (unpublished version) on Youtube and it's amazing.

Re: Any lovers of Medtner here? [Re: MrCatMissMew] #2798322 01/04/19 09:30 AM
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
You could look at some of the other Forgotten Tunes, op 38 and 39. They are not all that difficult.

Re: Any lovers of Medtner here? [Re: MrCatMissMew] #2798370 01/04/19 11:33 AM
S
scriabinfanatic Offline
S
Originally Posted by MrCatMissMew

Did you know there's a documentary newly out about Tozer and his tragic death? The Eulogy - there's a trailer on Youtube but it's hard to get hold of.

I've been listening to Tozer's rendition of the Sonata Tragica (unpublished version) on Youtube and it's amazing.

Thanks for the tip. I just watched the trailer. It confirms what I've read elsewhere about the way he was underappreciated/mistreated in his home country. Looking forward to the public release of the documentary.

Re: Any lovers of Medtner here? [Re: MrCatMissMew] #2798828 01/05/19 04:15 PM
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
The word 'skazki' really means fairy tales -- magic stories for children often with some type of moral directive, e. g. Grimms' fairy tales.

Re: Any lovers of Medtner here? [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2798837 01/05/19 04:48 PM
T
Tim Adrianson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, Iaroslav! Well, I stand corrected! Far be it from me to argue with a Russian concerning this! Actually, I'd envisioned "skazki" as being closer to Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales, with a dark and sometimes downright sinister character to the story line, or to certain individuals. within it. Medtner himself described one of his skazki as being about an elf -- but a kindly and jovial one -- implying that were others you didn't want to run into in a dark alley!

Re: Any lovers of Medtner here? [Re: MrCatMissMew] #2798865 01/05/19 06:29 PM
T
trigalg693 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Medtner is my favorite composer, I'm working on Sonata Romantica op.53 no.1 smile

I think Sonata Reminiscenza op.38 no.1 is pretty approachable, maybe give that a try. There's some other slower Forgotten Melodies, but I gravitate strongly towards longer works so I don't have any recommendations on mind.

Re: Any lovers of Medtner here? [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2798990 01/06/19 05:44 AM
Sibylle Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi, Iaroslav! Well, I stand corrected! Far be it from me to argue with a Russian concerning this! Actually, I'd envisioned "skazki" as being closer to Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales, with a dark and sometimes downright sinister character to the story line, or to certain individuals. within it. Medtner himself described one of his skazki as being about an elf -- but a kindly and jovial one -- implying that were others you didn't want to run into in a dark alley!

Grimm's tales have been "smoothed out" for many children's editions. If you go back to the originals, you'll find a lot of this darkness there, too smile

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Re: Any lovers of Medtner here? [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2798995 01/06/19 06:10 AM
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I

Yes, Anderson's fairy tales, Grimms' fairy tales, Charles Perrault's fairy tales - they are all called 'skazki'.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How do I start teaching piano?
by Classical Lover - 02/22/20 02:00 AM
Kawaik500 price
by Morgrob - 02/21/20 10:30 PM
When to practice with pedal?
by baudelairepianist - 02/21/20 09:12 PM
Pure 12th aural tuning sequence
by TimM_980 - 02/21/20 08:41 PM
YUYS5 TA2 vs GC1 TA2
by SNkeys - 02/21/20 07:33 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,111
Posts2,928,476
Members96,066
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission