2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments. Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (36251, Boboulus, Beowulf, Bett, ambrozy, Bill McKaig,RPT, anotherscott, APianistHasNoName, 12 invisible), 577 guests, and 494 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
DP for senior deaf in one ear?
#2797508 01/01/19 02:49 PM
N
OP Offline
N
I am a senior, deaf in left ear and a moderate loss in the right. I wear a hearing aid (but not when playing). I have played classical piano for many years, and greatly enjoy it. I am looking to buy a Yamaha or a Roland, and spend $1500 to $2000.
I have just moved into an apartment and out of concern for disturbing the occupants of the adjoining units I will buy a digital, so I can play with headphones.
However, I am concerned that feeding loud noise directly into my ear could worsen my hearing loss. And wondering how it would work having the sound come into only one side?
So, are there controls that permit all the sound to feed only to one side? Can you reduce the sound volume and still have a natural sound?
I would appreciate any advice or comments, especially from any hard of hearing players.

Thanks, Nov

Novembre
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: DP for senior deaf in one ear?
Novembre #2797518 01/01/19 03:09 PM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
First of all, I recommend getting open-backed headphones and keeping the volume at a moderate level - but you can adjust it to your own comfort level.

As for feeding it into one ear, some pianos have a MONO sound for when you don't have a stereo output, but that would get fed into headphones which are stereo, so not sure if there's a workaround there.

The other option is to pan everything to your right ear through stereo headphones, but that would probably compromise the sound. Perhaps not a total panning to the right would work, but a halfway pan might.

I'd look to get a DP that has a MONO piano sound and panning options so that you can play around with them and see what combination works.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Novembre #2797519 01/01/19 03:10 PM
Hello and happy New Year Novembre.

Firstly, no matter what you may end up with as far as
hearing-aid/DP/headphones gear and settings, I strongly advise you take a slow & safe approach to getting the DP (through headphones ) volume adjusted. Hearing aids are special amplifiers that tend to behave erratically when covered with, for instance, the ear piece end of a standard telephone .... and I imagine similar results may occur with headphones.

Start with volume of DP set to minimum and slowly increase until you find a level that allows you to sufficiently hear & enjoy the piano sound without setting off your hearing aid.

I do not know of a way to get stereo sound to come out of only 1 side of a typical 2-sided hearphone ... perhaps one of the resident audiophiles here can better answer.

If you are deaf in one ear, does it matter if you use standard (stereo) headphones?

After reading your post, i searched on “ headphones with hearing aids”.

Among the results, here are a couple.

https://whittierhearing.com/the-best-headphones-for-people-with-hearing-aids/

https://www.hear.com/hearing-aids/headphones/

Good luck!

- Kawai MP7 w/ MDR7506 phones and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
Novembre #2797529 01/01/19 03:51 PM
I have hearing loss as well and have been concerned about raising up the volume high enough to appreciate also being high enough to hurt the ears. I don't tend to worry as much about it like I did in the past as using higher quality speakers/headphones brought out the detail I wanted to hear with less volume. Paying more for the quality was worth it for my ears, though I didn't realize it till I bought them.

I find open backed headphones the most comfortable, and unlike cheap on the ear ones bring out more detail with less volume. Open backed headphones let your ears breath.

You've suffered more hearing loss than I have, and you know you have to pay attention to whether the noise level is bothering your ears or not and what adjustments might help to let you listen for longer periods without harm. You might want to get some kind of amp with an equalizer and panner inbetween the headphones and your piano so you can fine tune things that way, if the piano you like doesn't have all the features and amplification you'd want.

Something to amp/pan/eq inbetween the phones and you wouldn't cost too much so you might be able to choose a piano that suits you sound/key feel more even if it lacked panning, etc. Most digital piano manuals are downloadable online so you can dive into a particular piano's manual to find if it has the features you want if the sales rep doesn't know.

Merry Christmas season to you and happy new year!

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
Novembre #2797536 01/01/19 04:23 PM
For this I think you should consult an ENT, not Piano World.
Originally Posted by Novembre
I am concerned that feeding loud noise directly into my ear could worsen my hearing loss. And wondering how it would work having the sound come into only one side?

Novembre #2797570 01/01/19 06:21 PM
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
I second/third the recommendation for open-back headphones.

And here's one way to get mono sound to the headphones, so that you'd be hearing the entire piano in your right ear:

1) Connect a cable from the Left line out of the piano to a small headphone amp. (The Roland and Yamahas in your price range output a mono signal from the L line out when you connect to only this output. Roland labels it "L/Mono" and Yamaha labels it "L/L+R".)

1a) The cable would be a "Y" type, letting you connect to both the left and right channels of the headphone amp. Folks here will be happy to suggest a specific cable should you decide to proceed.

2) Slip on the headphones, and the entire mono signal from the piano will be coming from both the left and right earpiece. (If you're concerned about sound coming into your left ear, you'd need either a headphone amp with a balance control - or simply not plug anything in to the left input of the headphone amp.)

Btw, if you happen to have an available stereo amplifer/receiver - it could be used in place of a specialized headphone amp.

PS: There are MANY usable headphone amps for $100 or less (the Schiit Magni is one very good example - $99), with a variety of features/switching options to suit specific usages. You can spend a TON more but it's not necessary.

In summary: There are likely a variety of ways to achieve what you're seeking. I've tried to lay out one example above, in hopes of making a solution seem "real" and doable.

pwl #2797572 01/01/19 06:29 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by pwl

1a) The cable would be a "Y" type, letting you connect to both the left and right channels of the headphone amp. Folks here will be happy to suggest a specific cable should you decide to proceed.

I'm far from a step equipment expert. But presumably the y cable would have a stereo TRS input. Does a TS output (the L/mono channel of the DP's line out) contact both tip and sleeve of a TRS plug? It sounds to me unless the headphone amp has some mixer function, you'd likely end up with sound coming only out of the left channel if the right channel stays silent throughout the flow? Or is the Y cable a true mono TS splitter?

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Gombessa #2797621 01/01/19 08:35 PM
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Well, here's a cable that would likely do the job. But it's easy to experiment with different configurations if this isn't the one.

1/4 inch TS to dual RCA

We're assuming a TS cable inserted into the Left digital piano output - but with no cable in the Right output - outputs the summed mono signal. Easy to confirm.

Novembre #2797854 01/02/19 02:05 PM
D
D
From the king of lurkers:
I am amazed that everyone talked about headphones. If a pianist plays within the reasonable hours of the day, say 10 am to 9 pm no neighbors are really going to complain, especially if the player has first gone to talk to the neighbors - making friends is a good idea anyway. I can't imagine that the pianist would play for 11 uninterrupted hours.

Then there are a number of ways to reduce the sound starting with the DP volume button set to what is comfortable for the player -
1) thick mat under the piano stand;
2) piano against an inner wall
3) acoustic panels that hang on the wall and can be removed like a painting.
4) depending on the apartment regulations, acoustic ceiling tiles.

On one PW thread there's the story of a pianist who moved into an apartment, and was soon ask to perform for the apartment complex get together events.

my 2cents

Dreamingstill #2798166 01/03/19 04:13 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Dreamingstill
From the king of lurkers:
I am amazed that everyone talked about headphones. If a pianist plays within the reasonable hours of the day, say 10 am to 9 pm no neighbors are really going to complain, especially if the player has first gone to talk to the neighbors - making friends is a good idea anyway. I can't imagine that the pianist would play for 11 uninterrupted hours.

Then there are a number of ways to reduce the sound starting with the DP volume button set to what is comfortable for the player -
1) thick mat under the piano stand;
2) piano against an inner wall
3) acoustic panels that hang on the wall and can be removed like a painting.
4) depending on the apartment regulations, acoustic ceiling tiles.

On one PW thread there's the story of a pianist who moved into an apartment, and was soon ask to perform for the apartment complex get together events.

my 2cents

I agree, thanks for pointing this out. Playing without headphones is actually better, assuming you can have the piano at a decent volume (not too soft). Still, there are situations where headphones are needed, so hopefully this will give the OP an idea of what to do.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Novembre #2798511 01/04/19 04:42 PM
N
OP Offline
N
I’m very impressed by so many helpful reviews! This is all very new to me,butmowiknow what questions tp ask and wat kind of headphones phones to get. I will take these posts with me when I go shopping, and hopefully the salespeople will understand them and help me choose the right ones.

In the meantime I need to decide which brand to get, Yamaha or Roland (higher end models), so I will post a query on that subject.

Novembre
Novembre #2798627 01/05/19 02:43 AM
L
L
I would avoid using headphones while playing. The amount of listening time before possible hearing damage wouldn't be as long as playing the piano without headphones (at the same volume). Simply because the direct sound reaches your ear (almost) instantly and the vibrations don't have time to spread out in the air.

I'm 21 and have about 15% hearing loss in my left ear and about 5% in my right ear. I can't stand it and try not to get down about it. I would read this article (http://www.sengpielaudio.com/TableOfSoundPressureLevels.htm) on sound levels. It contains a lot of information that is pretty useful for people who are concerned about hearing loss. I try not to wear headphones while playing piano or producing music, because I get ear fatigue a lot quicker and have to stop (and wait for it to go away until it goes away).

When you are shopping for a new pair of headphones, there's one main question that you should consider. Are you going to be wearing them out in public or just in your apartment?

Open backed headphones will give off a more natural sound, but the sound leaked from open backed headphones is a lot compared to closed headphones. Closed headphones are more for canceling out any outside noise that may disrupt your listening experience and the amount of sound that gets leaked is a lot less. If you aren't going to be wearing them in public, then I would recommend open backed headphones.

But again, I would avoid using headphones while practicing.

Last edited by Lonely Kid; 01/05/19 02:46 AM.
Novembre #2799046 01/06/19 09:47 AM
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW --

I'm pretty sure that what matters, for hearing damage, is the _intensity of sound at the eardrum_. Whether it comes from a loudspeaker 50' away, or a headphone driver 1/2" off the ear, makes no difference to its effect on the body.

My suggestion:

. . . buy a small mixer (Behringer xenyx 502),

. . . and a good set of headphones.

The mixer "Phones" output has a better headphone amp than most DP's. It will let you mix the left- and right-channel DP outputs to your ears, in whatever proportions you find comfortable.

In a quiet environment, open-back phones are fine. In noisy environments, close-back phones are better, if you value your hearing.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
Dreamingstill #2799221 01/06/19 08:15 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Tho my neighbors might enjoy hearing some of my playing, I’m sure nobody wants to hear “practicing”......playing the same few measures over and over, six to ten times...or trying a new difficult piece, making mistakes right and left.....really, that’s what I do, every dayand I would never subject my neighbors to that kind of noise. So it’s headphones for me, most of the time anyway.

Novembre

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
N3X Lid Pin Sticking Out?
by tierce_de_picardie - 01/15/21 07:45 PM
Polyester finish Yammy
by bill miller - 01/15/21 07:29 PM
Stack of Thirds Temperament
by Seeker - 01/15/21 07:07 PM
debussy Suite Bergamasque 2
by dolce sfogato - 01/15/21 06:44 PM
playing by ear or by notes
by hast66 - 01/15/21 05:51 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,277
Posts3,047,093
Members100,069
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission