Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
85 registered members (15shoes, 90125, AnnInMiami, brooster, anotherscott, ando, Bett, BarryR, 19 invisible), 1,144 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 #2798397
01/04/19 12:16 PM
01/04/19 12:16 PM
E
Eienkei Offline OP
Eienkei  Offline OP
E

I just visited a store and tried and liked them both, but I am a beginner and fear I might make the wrong choice. Am I forgetting any other ones in the same range? What do you suggest and why? Will I be missing on acoustic pianosbif I go digital? The reason I am leaning toward digital is the maintenance required with acoustic ones.

Should I get one of these or am I better of start learning with something cheaper? I am an adult learner in early 30s. Not sure if it's too late to learn now...

Would truly appreciate your insights!

Last edited by Eienkei; 01/04/19 12:24 PM.
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2798423
01/04/19 01:03 PM
01/04/19 01:03 PM
P
Pete14 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Pete14  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

There has been some talk about the so-called NU1X defect related to “loud” notes being triggered unintentionally when playing ppp tremolos or repeated notes. Heck, someone went as far as saying that this was a ‘disaster’. blush
The more I watch the YouTube video supposedly highlighting this issue, and the more I read about forum members who own and love this instrument, the more I feel like this is not that big a deal unless you set out to look for it.

As it compares to the CLP-685, it seems like the NU1X usually wins despite the 685’s “superior” specs and the NU1X’s “defect “.

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2798452
01/04/19 01:45 PM
01/04/19 01:45 PM
O
oneilt130 Online content
oneilt130  Online Content
O

I recently went through the same decision process and ended up going with the NU1X over the CLP-685. It arrived this week and it has been great. Better than expected. Having said that I think I can distill the differences down to the following:

The NU1X is essentially a hybrid upright piano with the voice of the Yamha's CFX Grand. It's primary objective and what it is best at is playing as as a piano. It is as close as anything I tested out in that price range as sitting down at an acoustic upright piano. When I was testing it out at one dealer I was able to go back and forth between the Yamaha U1 upright and the NU1X, I could tell there was a difference but it came as close to the experience of an acoustic as anything I tested in that price range. Using the speakers it sounds very good. Using a good set of headphones the Binaural sampling of the CFX grand is great. Like I said it's about as close as you get to feeling like you are sitting at an acoustic upright piano.

Having said that part of what makes it feel that way is what it is not. The user controls are very simple, pretty much old school and blend into the instrument. When you are playing you don't notice them at all. It only has 15 voices. You can only record one track, you can't do a split keyboard with multiple voices. There is a certain amount of elegance in it's simplicity.

The CLP-685 on the other hand has all of the extras. Lot's of voices, you can split the keyboard etc. However I felt that the piano sound and feel was not the same as the NU1X. If I was considering those extras I probably would have gone with either the Roland LX706 or LX708 and not the CLP-685. I thought the Roland LX708 sounded better than the CLP-685 and I preferred the keyboard of the Roland over the CLP-685. I didn't get to test the LX706.

From my perspective what I wanted was something that played like a piano. The other stuff wasn't on my radar at all. Having had the NU1X for all of 3 days I can say it has exceeded my expectations. Someone else put it best when they said it is just a joy to sit down and play.

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2798458
01/04/19 02:00 PM
01/04/19 02:00 PM
E
Eienkei Offline OP
Eienkei  Offline OP
E

Should I try to bargain with the seller for the prices? How much usually can I go down?
also, is the warranty on these two different?

(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater 1000s of deals on Gear
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2798475
01/04/19 02:29 PM
01/04/19 02:29 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
7000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
For price information, look at:

1. The prices paid thread at http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1201029

2. The prices paid spreadsheet at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwdESI8nPDtaQzhZeUh6UlBRZlk/view?usp=sharing

3. The digital piano section of pianobuyer.com (This is for reference only. When you look at their "estimated prices", know that you must never ever pay that much.)

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2798488
01/04/19 03:16 PM
01/04/19 03:16 PM
O
oneilt130 Online content
O

One thing I forgot to mention that has been said in other threads is that once you decide what features you want and have a list of DPs that fit those criteria nothing will replace going out and testing them preferably multiple times. Then get the one that you feel the best at. For me it was the NU1X but for someone else it could be the Kawai CA98 or Roland LX708. One thing I do feel confident it saying is that there is no universally accepted best for everyone piano in this price range.

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2798611
01/05/19 12:13 AM
01/05/19 12:13 AM
E
Eienkei Offline OP
Eienkei  Offline OP
E

I went back to the shop, the NU1X really feels great and I liked it a lot, however, the "defect" thread has made me dubious about this choice. How big of an issue is it?

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2798616
01/05/19 12:45 AM
01/05/19 12:45 AM
Bay Area CA
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
pwl  Offline
Silver Subscriber
P

Bay Area CA
Pete14's post earlier in this thread addresses the "defect". I don't know of anyone who owns the NU1/NU1X for whom it's a disqualifier. Don't let it keep you from enjoying this instrument!

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2798781
01/05/19 01:50 PM
01/05/19 01:50 PM
San Jose
B
BradleyG Offline
BradleyG  Offline
B

San Jose
Play both pianos as extensively as you can before purchasing. Take sheet music with you if necessary. That’s really the best way to determine if the occasional loud note is going to both affect and bother you. It didn’t occur that often nor did it bother me enough, when it did, to steer me away from the action I liked best.

Yamaha NU1X, CP4. Pianoteq. Ravenscroft 275
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2798785
01/05/19 01:56 PM
01/05/19 01:56 PM
Germany
T
Tyr Offline
Tyr  Offline
T

Germany
Originally Posted by Eienkei
I went back to the shop, the NU1X really feels great and I liked it a lot, however, the "defect" thread has made me dubious about this choice. How big of an issue is it?

I have my NU1X since three weeks and i didn't experienced one loud note (expect the ones i played because of bad technique). I think the discussion is a bit over the top.

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: pwl] #2798806
01/05/19 03:16 PM
01/05/19 03:16 PM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
Originally Posted by pwl
Pete14's post earlier in this thread addresses the "defect". I don't know of anyone who owns the NU1/NU1X for whom it's a disqualifier.

Well, it was a disqualifier for Egorbopol, the OP of the original "NU1X defect" thread. So much of a disqualifier that he exchanged it for an N1 and wrote:
Originally Posted by Egorbopol
I'm very happy to have that Nu1x out of my home, and am very happy to have the N1 in it's place.

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2798887
01/05/19 07:57 PM
01/05/19 07:57 PM
E
Eienkei Offline OP
Eienkei  Offline OP
E

I spent some time in the shop and compared the action of NU1X and 685 (and some other digitals) to acoustic and grands, the DPs other than NU1X were really nothing like acoutics, they were stiff and heavy but NU1X really was like an acoustic in my opinion. I had half the budget dedicated and was going for 645 but the difference in look and feel made me want the NU1X!
Music sheet is a good idea, I will bring it tomorrow for a last time and then decide!

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Tyr] #2798972
01/06/19 04:22 AM
01/06/19 04:22 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Tyr

I have my NU1X since three weeks and i didn't experienced one loud note (expect the ones i played because of bad technique). I think the discussion is a bit over the top.

What kind of music do you play? I hit this issue every time I play a NU1X in the Yamaha dealership. Without specifically trying to reproduce it, just playing classical music.

Soundcloud Profile - solo piano compositions, arrangements, reharms
Currently: DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX, Yamaha NU1X
Previously: Kawai (ES7, MP6, CA63), Roland (RD-700SX, FP-5), Yamaha P90, Korg SP-200, Casio CDP-100
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2798996
01/06/19 06:15 AM
01/06/19 06:15 AM
O
oneilt130 Online content
O

I think I have experienced this with my NU1X. It's hard to tell at times because my playing is very heavy and not consistent. (I never realized how bad my spinet was until recently. Notice how I deflected and blamed it on the old piano and not me?) What is strange is it has only happened when I am practicing a piece by section and not when I play it through. I purchased the NU1X knowing about the issue and having had it now for 5 days I can say it has exceeded my expectations. I can't quantify it but in this price range this is what felt the most like I was sitting down at an acoustic piano. It is just a fun piano to play. Keep in mind before I looked at DPs I was thinking about getting an acoustic upright. Getting a grand piano was never considered. The primary reason for a DP was to use headphones. Also my playing ability is such that the difference in keyboard from a good upright and a grand piano would have no affect on how I play at this time.

One thought on how different people view this is what their expectations are. The NU1X uses a upright action and from what I have read this is caused by something to do with the action where in an acoustic piano the key would produce no sound but on the NU1X it produces a loud sound. While no sound could be preferable I wonder if even that would be acceptable to people who find this issue a deal breaker. While the sound of the NU1X is modeled after a grand piano the action is clearly that of an upright. From my reading of these forums for the past few months the goal of many is the pursuit of a grand piano action, not an upright. I have read numerous postings on that feature alone would disqualify the NU1X. It may be that some people are playing at a higher level with higher expectations that makes this a deal breaker for them. This is not a knock on those people. There are many different people here on these forums with different goals. I don't think there is one perfect DP out there that meets everyone's needs. For myself and what I was looking for in a DP the NU1X checked off all of the boxes. As I mentioned above it has exceeded my expectations.

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Tyr] #2799041
01/06/19 09:16 AM
01/06/19 09:16 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by Tyr

TBF, it IS more or less a technique issue. On an acoustic upright, you would have missed the note completely, and the piano wouldn't have been blamed for it. I think the difference is that it's easier to ignore a missed note (happens to all of us) than to hear a clearly stridently and misplaced loud note instead, but both are caused by the same error in technique made by the pianist.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799044
01/06/19 09:35 AM
01/06/19 09:35 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
I wouldn’t call this a pianist error. Or error at all. It’s a limitation of upright pianos and I bet it would happen to even the most experienced pianists since there’s no recipe on how to avoid it. It just so happens from time to time and some call it jamming. One way to reproduce it is quiet repetitions/trills with or without releasing fully. It’s some sort of unsync between the escapement and the key but you won’t say to a pianist: “don’t play quiet repetition/trills since that’s an error”, right? smile

Previously: Kawai (ES7, MP6, CA63), Roland (RD-700SX, FP-5), Yamaha P90, Korg SP-200, Casio CDP-100
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: CyberGene] #2799057
01/06/19 10:25 AM
01/06/19 10:25 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I wouldn’t call this a pianist error. Or error at all. It’s a limitation of upright pianos and I bet it would happen to even the most experienced pianists since there’s no recipe on how to avoid it. It just so happens from time to time and some call it jamming. One way to reproduce it is quiet repetitions/trills with or without releasing fully. It’s some sort of unsync between the escapement and the key but you won’t say to a pianist: “don’t play quiet repetition/trills since that’s an error”, right? smile

Hmm, I see what you are saying, but I would disagree. Yes, if you play in a way that makes the instrument misbehave (because of the intrinsic ways how the instrument works, in this case the upright action), then it *is* your fault. You need to adjust your technique to cope with the instrument.

Imagine a pianist who is forced to perform moonlight sonata 1st movement on a (for whatever reason) badly regulated grand where proper p is very difficult and pp impossible. He would have to adjust his playing because he can hardly finish the performance and then turn to the audience saying "sorry that half of the notes were missing, it it's the fault of the piano. My technique is flawless, believe me, the piano just can't cope with it".

Or imagine a pianist who needs to perform on an upright, playing a piece with quiet repetition/trills. He too needs to adapt to work around the action's tendency to jam in these conditions. An excuse to the audience like "sorry, my trills were perfect, it's just the upright action that can't deal with them" won't cut it.

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799061
01/06/19 10:34 AM
01/06/19 10:34 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Well, to a certain degree I agree with you but what I was trying to say is this “jamming” isn’t very determinate and isn’t 100% reproducible. If it was 100%, then yes, it’s pianist error to not work around it.

However let’s say it happens in 1% of quiet trills. Then should you avoid quiet trills at all? Should you ruin the piece with loud trills instead? Maybe a pianist would rather sacrifice one loud note for proper execution of the quiet trill? Which BTW is the reason why some people don’t find this a deal breaker and can live with the occasional occurrence of loud notes. Whereas others are more picky, more obsessive about perfection and would be irritated by the sheer presence of that deficiency.

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: JoBert] #2799086
01/06/19 11:49 AM
01/06/19 11:49 AM
O
oneilt130 Online content
O

Originally Posted by JoBert
[quote=CyberGene]
"sorry that half of the notes were missing, it it's the fault of the piano. My technique is flawless, believe me, the piano just can't cope with it".

Taking this down another path this is my one problem with the NU1X. With my old spinet I could rationalize that it wasn't me, it was the piano. I was playing great, the piano just couldn't handle it. Now that excuse has gone out the window. It's all on me. frown

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: JoBert] #2799127
01/06/19 02:09 PM
01/06/19 02:09 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Hmm, I see what you are saying, but I would disagree.

I would also disagree. In essence, CG is saying, "if you don't want to experience an acoustic upright behavior, don't play an acoustic upright."However, a pianist has to adapt to the instrument they play, and if an upright "binds" on repetition, it binds on repetition regardless of whether it goes silent or loud, It's up to the pianist to decide how they want to deal with that situation (the ideal being that the piece is played without any binding of the action at all, regardless of how it manifests). From a buyer's perspective, I can fully appreciate that this may not be what people want in their instrument, but IMHO it's an artifact of technique.

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799135
01/06/19 02:28 PM
01/06/19 02:28 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Not sure you got exactly what I mean. The issue is very complex and not easily reproducible. Hence it’s very difficult to modify your technique to avoid the issue unless you entirely eradicate (quiet) repetition and trills. It’s certainly not a problem of technique. It’s an unfortunate hiccup in upright action design and people are OK to live with that taking into account how much more compact and less expensive an upright is compared to a grand. And then comes one of the more expensive digitals that is suffering from a defect which isn’t even there in digital pianos costing just hundreds. We all know what the advantages of NU1X over other digital pianos is however there’s still a lot to explain to the modern piano buyer who’s unaware of the original problem, the inability of the company to solve it within a rather premium price segment offering and especially of having to accept it’s buyers technique that is to blame smile

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799137
01/06/19 02:51 PM
01/06/19 02:51 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
So, let’s get this straight. You play a piece and you see a pianissimo trill. You know that in 99% of the time it will come out OK on the NU1X. But there’s still a low chance of an occasional loud note. How do you change your technique? I don’t get it. You replace it with a fortissimo trill? Is there an alternate way of playing a pianissimo trill that’s 100% issue free? You choose another piece?

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: CyberGene] #2799147
01/06/19 03:08 PM
01/06/19 03:08 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

So, let’s get this straight. You play a piece and you see a pianissimo trill. You know that in 99% of the time it will come out OK on the NU1X. But there’s still a low chance of an occasional loud note. How do you change your technique? I don’t get it. You replace it with a fortissimo trill? Is there an alternate way of playing a pianissimo trill that’s 100% issue free? You choose another piece?

it seems that JoBert and Gombessa might be saying that if you buy an upright, you are limited by the actions of those pianos. You either adapt to the action or you don't play a piece. For example, based on the videos I've seen, it is not clear to me it would be possible to play Ravel's Ondine at all, at least not with the same tempo and level of dynamics called for, on any piano with an upright action or simulating such an action. Similarly, for a digital, including a defective one, you are limited by the hardware and either adapt to it or simply avoid certain pieces that can't be played correctly with it. And if you don't like this, there is always a real AP or a hybrid grand like the NV10 you can buy and play instead.

At least that what I took away from the remarks of JoBert and Gombessa, and I actually agree with the above.

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799163
01/06/19 03:52 PM
01/06/19 03:52 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
I see where the misunderstanding comes from. I still believe you are wrong, so let me explain. It's funny because I was gonna use Ondine in my previous post to support what I'm saying smile

You make a wrong assumption regarding the nature of the upright action "jamming". But before explaining it, let's see the Ondine example.

So, Ondine starts with fast ppp repetitions. In order to be able to play very fast and very quiet, you have to play near the bottom of the key travel. If you release fully, you prolong the time required for the key to be released and then to be pressed slowly (otherwise it will come out louder due to the higher velocity) and so on an upright action you can't play this properly because it lacks a double repetition lever. (There are expensive upright actions with mechanical solutions to overcome that though but that's not the point here). In other words, Ondine is almost 100% non-doable on an upright. You, as a pianist know it. You can try to play it and you will end up with a lot of silent notes. It's your responsibility to realize that.

Now, it's very important to understand the Yamaha NU1X issues has nothing to do with the above scenario. On a NU1X tested many times by me in a store, if you don't release the keys fully and press again, it will be silent. There's no loud note! So, it's not how the issue is reproduced.

The issue is a very rare but still occurring phenomena which I can't explain and can't reproduce on command, where the jack is probably jammed and even if you think everything is OK, the key suddenly feels light, it bottoms out very quickly because there's no weight to push and on a real upright there's no note, whereas on NU1X the sensors are fooled and produce high velocity. I guess it depends on regulation, on micro-rebounds of the jack, jack spring self-frequency oscillation or who knows what. But it's entirely unpredictable! Hence it's not your technique. It's a random issue.

So, the problem of who's to blame isn't that simple. People used to know if they want a great keyboard, fast repetitions and no jamming, go for a grand piano. Costs between a used car and a brand new house smile And then at the bottom are cheap uprights, action might jam but that's it.

And then we fast forward to present days where you enter the digital piano showroom and see digital pianos that cost between $500 and $5000 and suddenly there's this particular issue that's on that most expensive digital piano smile A lot ot explain to the customer, right?

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799214
01/06/19 07:30 PM
01/06/19 07:30 PM
Melbourne, Australia
A
ando Online content
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A

Melbourne, Australia
I learned to play Ondine pretty well on my Yamaha upright. It requires some different pedalling (constant half and flutter), plus holding down the soft pedal brings the hammers closer to the strings and makes it easier to play ppp without missed notes. I can play it on most pianos - but certainly when I first played it on a grand , I was shocked at how effortless it was compared to the upright action. I have no doubt however that playing difficult pieces on upright pianos has helped me to build my technique. Which seems to be at odds with what most people here think - the prevailing view being that upright actions are too easy to play (not including repetition there., and therefore don't prepare you well for playing a grand. I found it did - and I can probably play an upright action better than most people who only play grand actions!

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799342
01/07/19 10:51 AM
01/07/19 10:51 AM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY
I love my NU1X. For me, it was an instant "I am buying this" moment. I do get the occasional "loud" note, but my enjoyment far outweighs this minor annoyance. The sound of the CFX grand is wonderful, and the action just makes me want to play more.

It might not be a good fit for some, but it sure is for me.

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799357
01/07/19 11:43 AM
01/07/19 11:43 AM
Germany
T
Tyr Offline
Tyr  Offline
T

Germany
Same here. It's a beauty beast.

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799361
01/07/19 11:57 AM
01/07/19 11:57 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
As I've said previously, I was (and probably still am) in love with NU1 initially. The feel, the control and the touch to sound connection are great. I am still thinking that maybe I could eventually live with the occasional loud note issue and probably should buy a NU1X anyway. And I go to play it in the store and hit the issue and become very disappointed frown I am very OCD-driven for many things, unfortunately.

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: CyberGene] #2799362
01/07/19 12:04 PM
01/07/19 12:04 PM

I am still thinking that maybe I could eventually live with the occasional loud note issue and probably should buy a NU1X anyway. And I go to play it in the store and hit the issue and become very disappointed frown I am very OCD-driven for many things, unfortunately.

For real OCD people, just the thought I might encounter this issue already adds to the anxiety which owning a nice instrument should actually be countering for me! smile Ultimately, I need a piano that soothes me and not one that makes me anxiously await the appearance of The Defect wink LOL

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799406
01/07/19 02:24 PM
01/07/19 02:24 PM
UK
S
spanishbuddha Offline
3000 Post Club Member
spanishbuddha  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

UK
Seems to me neither of you, Cyber or Tyrone, could possibly enjoy an acoustic then crazy

As previously stated I’m a happy NU1 owner, 5+ years, only GAS is for the theoretical and keenly priced N2X.

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 01/07/19 02:24 PM.
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799447
01/07/19 04:40 PM
01/07/19 04:40 PM
USA
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Offline
Gold Subscriber

USA

Should I get one of these or am I better of start learning with something cheaper? I am an adult learner in early 30s. Not sure if it's too late to learn now...

Eienkei, I don’t know if your question was answered. You said you are a beginner. So either of these two Yamaha’s, or a Kawai CN, CA, CS, series will be good for several years. I suggest you listen to JoBerts YouTube recordings. Most of them are on a CA97. The two Yamahas you mention are about the same in price and quality. When you can play like that then you may feel you need to upgrade. But it will not be necessary to do so. When you play them in the store. You will fall in love with one of them. Go with your heart (gut) or you will regret not getting the one you loved because of a “defect” you read about. By the time you experience a “loud note” issue on the NU1, you be very advanced and there will be other pianos to consider at the time.

[Linked Image]

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799628
01/08/19 06:40 AM
01/08/19 06:40 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
I used my lunch break today to go to the nearby Yamaha dealership and test various digital pianos. I concentrated mainly on P-515 and again on CLP-645 and CLP-675 (but not 685 which isn't displayed, however I've played it before).

What can I say, I can't connect to either keyboard although I spent about an hour and already started adapting but it's a keyboard feel I can't live with. This weird initial key resistance is a no-go for me. As I previously said, the NWX in P-515 and CLP-645 is actually slightly better in that respect compared to the more expensive GrandTouch action in CLP-675. Besides, the CFX sound didn't convince me on either the P-515 or CLP-675. And the Bösendorfer is a joke. It's too dark and muffled I couldn't find any real usage for it. So, I was rather disappointed.

There was a NU1 (not the X) sitting there. So beautiful and elegant! And I tested it first switched off. Oddly enough the keyboard feel when switched off is very similar to NWX. However once switched on it is entirely different! It is a night and day difference. You can feel the free flowing hammers under your fingers and it makes the resistance meaningful in contrast to the constant "non-detachable" resistance of the NWX. This NU1, such a joy to play, so realistic! It's light years ahead as both keyboard feel and sound through speakers compared to the Clavinova pianos and the P-515! It feels like a real piano, it's a real instrument that I simply melted down on! I love it, I can't say anything more. Please, anyone talk me our of ordering NU1X laugh

That being said, I spent considerable time analyzing how to reproduce the loud note issue and I can do that now 100% in a matter of 30 seconds. Just playing soft consecutive trills such as the ones in the middle of Chopin Nocturne op.62, No.1. Yet, I will admit it isn't so bad smile And it didn't feel unnatural to me in a way I have described it before. I believe for some reason the hammer is not "jammed" but rather bounces off and so you feel that under your fingers and it naturally leads to much less effort needed to throw it since it already has the inertia and generates a louder note. Well, maybe my mind is blurred by the otherwise great instrument and I am ready to forgive that issue but if you ask me right now: it's 100% reproducible yet is not such a big deal smile I'm wondering whether that could have been softened out in the newer NU1X due to a higher spec CPU? But even if not, I'm still so much in love with it! I'm about to reconsider it again and purchase it laugh

BTW, at the end of my visit I played again a Dexibell H7 which is so heavily discounted (floor model for €1250). With a very old OS, no platinum sounds. It is in some respects a good instrument, better than P-515 for instance, and at the same time feels like not very well finished, for instance the highest notes reacted too much to even slightest touch which is not very realistic...

Anyway, I am in love with NU1 and to answer the original thread: I would chose it night and day over a CLP-685/675.

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/08/19 06:47 AM.

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799633
01/08/19 07:08 AM
01/08/19 07:08 AM
P
Pete14 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Pete14  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

Keep in mind that the speaker specs on the CLP-675 are “better” than those of the NU1/X, yet several people, including CyberGene, prefer the sound of the NU1/X.

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799635
01/08/19 07:17 AM
01/08/19 07:17 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Indeed, NU1 was the only digital piano that I played today, that sounded almost as a real instrument through its speakers. The combination of great touch and sound leaves the impression of a real music instrument, whereas the Clavinova pianos felt like audio products.

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/08/19 07:17 AM.

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Pete14] #2799637
01/08/19 07:23 AM
01/08/19 07:23 AM
Germany
T
Tyr Offline
Tyr  Offline
T

Germany
Originally Posted by Pete14
Keep in mind that the speaker specs on the CLP-675 are “better” than those of the NU1/X, yet several people, including CyberGene, prefer the sound of the NU1/X.

The problem lies here, that adding watts together doesn't say anything about the sound quality or amps. The CLP-685 has "300W" but sound rather cheap because the watts are spreaded over 6 speakers. Idk what kind of amps or speakers are in the NU1X but the sound production quality is miles ahead compared to the CLPs. The Bösendorfer on the NU1X sounds way better btw.

Last edited by Tyr; 01/08/19 07:25 AM.

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799652
01/08/19 07:52 AM
01/08/19 07:52 AM
Denmark
Q
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline
QuasiUnaFantasia  Offline
Q

Denmark
On a related note, does anyone know of line-out recordings of classical music using the Bösendorfer sound, on Youtube or similar places? Mostly videos showcasing Yamaha instruments feature some sort of new age muzak.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28, Pianoteq 6.3
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799655
01/08/19 07:55 AM
01/08/19 07:55 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
And on another related note, I just checked that there's a firmware 2.0 for NU1X which makes it work as an audio interface. That makes it almost a decided purchase for me and I have a buyer for my ES7 that's put on hold before I make my mind smile

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Pete14] #2799656
01/08/19 08:01 AM
01/08/19 08:01 AM
O
oneilt130 Online content
O

Originally Posted by Pete14

Count me in that group. It took me awhile to reconcile that on paper the CLP-685 had better specs than the NU1X when it came to sound but the when you actually played them side by side the there was no comparison, the NU1X is far better. To CyberGene if you have the opportunity play them with a good set of headphones. The CFX voice on the NU1X with Binarual sampling is incredible. That is about as close as I have been with DP to feeling like you are at an acoustic piano.

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: CyberGene] #2799661
01/08/19 08:20 AM
01/08/19 08:20 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

That makes it almost a decided purchase for me and I have a buyer for my ES7 that's put on hold before I make my mind smile

I understand if you might be holding off on a grand hybrid because of your massive DIY project, but if you liked the NU1 so much, you may want to spend some time on an N1/N2 (especially if you believe an N1X may be coming soon) before committing to an upright purchase? IME the AvantGrand actions feel very much like the NU1 (slightly stiffer, slightly shorter key throw than their acoustic grands) and of course won't have the loud note issue at all.

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799663
01/08/19 08:22 AM
01/08/19 08:22 AM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
7000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
So, yet again ... specs don't matter, right? Trust your fingers and ears!

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Gombessa] #2799667
01/08/19 08:32 AM
01/08/19 08:32 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Gombessa
That makes it almost a decided purchase for me and I have a buyer for my ES7 that's put on hold before I make my mind smile

I understand if you might be holding off on a grand hybrid because of your massive DIY project, but if you liked the NU1 so much, you may want to spend some time on an N1/N2 (especially if you believe an N1X may be coming soon) before committing to an upright purchase? IME the AvantGrand actions feel very much like the NU1 (slightly stiffer, slightly shorter key throw than their acoustic grands) and of course won't have the loud note issue at all.

Well, I need a very compact piano since that will be the piano in our living room. Even the NU1X is a bit higher, I like the ES7 style pianos best but the NU1X is so chic and beautiful we could sacrifice our living room a bit. However N1/NV10 etc are already too big. And, as you said, I will feel less guilty to know my DIY project won't overlap with our regular piano smile So, an upright action and a grand action - great!

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/08/19 08:32 AM.

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: CyberGene] #2799670
01/08/19 08:37 AM
01/08/19 08:37 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
Well, I need a very compact piano since that will be the piano in our living room. Even the NU1X is a bit higher, I like the ES7 style pianos best but the NU1X is so chic and beautiful we could sacrifice our living room a bit. However N1/NV10 etc are already too big. And, as you said, I will feel less guilty to know my DIY project won't overlap with our regular piano smile So, an upright action and a grand action - great!

While I can totally understand the latter reason - the size reason not so much. Because the NU1X is larger than the N1/N2 and NV10 in both width and height. Only it's depth is smaller... (I know - I'm not helping grin).

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: JoBert] #2799677
01/08/19 08:52 AM
01/08/19 08:52 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria

While I can totally understand the latter reason - the size reason not so much. Because the NU1X is larger than the N1/N2 and NV10 in both width and height. Only it's depth is smaller... (I know - I'm not helping grin).

Well, every dimension is important but depth is probably the most crucial. We have extremely small living room and it's a challenge:
[Linked Image]

Now wondering whether a white one would be better. The wife said she likes the white much more. And I prefer black polished pianos frown

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: CyberGene] #2799701
01/08/19 09:51 AM
01/08/19 09:51 AM

We have extremely small living room and it's a challenge:
[Linked Image]

Well clearly I see the problem - your child, while lovely, is inefficiently positioned for your living room and has gotta go to make space for the piano! wink (j/k)

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799704
01/08/19 09:56 AM
01/08/19 09:56 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Oh, you noticed her! laugh

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: CyberGene] #2799706
01/08/19 10:01 AM
01/08/19 10:01 AM

Oh, you noticed her! laugh

What? She isn't intended to be a feature of your living room? grin

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2799708
01/08/19 10:04 AM
01/08/19 10:04 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Well, she's so small she can certainly play under a huge grand piano is what I mean wink

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: JoBert] #2799710
01/08/19 10:12 AM
01/08/19 10:12 AM
Germany
T
Tyr Offline
Tyr  Offline
T

Germany

2cm in width and 8cm in height (not counting in the sheetboard of the novus, which makes it easily to 1,20m).

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: CyberGene] #2799712
01/08/19 10:17 AM
01/08/19 10:17 AM

Well, she's so small she can certainly play under a huge grand piano is what I mean wink

Well, enjoy that while it lasts. Mine was a premie and started so small she'd comfortably fit in the middle of a small throw pillow! There are times now when I wish I could shrink her back to throw pillow sized. crazy

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2800386
01/10/19 04:55 AM
01/10/19 04:55 AM
P
PianoWVBob Offline
PianoWVBob  Offline
P

When I retire (in hopefully less than 2 years) I'm going to buy my "last" DP and the NUX1 is it at the moment (I haven't played any of the candidates yet so this is pure speculation at this point) but I have a question about maintenance.

Since the NUX1 has an actual physical action system, would I have to get that worked on by a tech every so often to keep it in good shape? I've read the acoustic piano section and the first thing folks say about owning an acoustic is the upkeep of the action and tuning and such and since this is partially an acoustic..I'm thinking that this applies....true?

What would I be looking at for maintenance interval for a normal 1 hour a day playing?

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: PianoWVBob] #2800390
01/10/19 05:29 AM
01/10/19 05:29 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by PianoWVBob
When I retire (in hopefully less than 2 years) I'm going to buy my "last" DP and the NUX1 is it at the moment (I haven't played any of the candidates yet so this is pure speculation at this point) but I have a question about maintenance.

Since the NUX1 has an actual physical action system, would I have to get that worked on by a tech every so often to keep it in good shape? I've read the acoustic piano section and the first thing folks say about owning an acoustic is the upkeep of the action and tuning and such and since this is partially an acoustic..I'm thinking that this applies....true?

What would I be looking at for maintenance interval for a normal 1 hour a day playing?

I am myself interested in that too since I ordered a NU1X yesterday. I researched a lot on the Internet and couldn’t find any info about people with NU1 that have needed a maintenance and that previous model has been on the market for at least 5 years if not more. So hopefully it wouldn’t require a technician for years.

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: PianoWVBob] #2800413
01/10/19 07:39 AM
01/10/19 07:39 AM
UK
S
spanishbuddha Offline
3000 Post Club Member
spanishbuddha  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

UK
Originally Posted by PianoWVBob

I have a NU1, more than 5 years now. I play every day when possible , 1 or 2 hours. I allow my grandchildren on it too, that can be a bit abusive. When the extended warranty was due to run out, 3 years or 5, I can’t remember now, I asked Yamaha to service it. Firmware upgrade, there was a slightly squeaky key, clean the optical gratings. I was there when they did it. The action inside looked pristine, and I never close the fallboard. The squeak was fixed with some Teflon spray. Today the middle of the keyboard is as tight or loose as the ends, although if I want to b picky and push a key sideways then ok maybe the balance rail felts have some wear, sub millimetre. I asked about future action regulation, it can be done by Yamaha or a piano tech, although it’s unlikely a piano tech would have access to the service manual where the regulation adjustments and tolerances are described; but having said that a tech familiar with say a U1 or U3 could probably do a regulation. I expect they would balk at cleaning and re-calibrating the optical sensors. However this is something I personally feel comfortable doing having seen it done once. Still no need of a regulation yet! Lastly due to room constraints my DP is quit close to a convection heating radiator, and there’s no problem at all.

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: spanishbuddha] #2800414
01/10/19 07:46 AM
01/10/19 07:46 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
I have a NU1, more than 5 years now. I play every day when possible , 1 or 2 hours. I allow my grandchildren on it too, that can be a bit abusive. When the extended warranty was due to run out, 3 years or 5, I can’t remember now, I asked Yamaha to service it. Firmware upgrade, there was a slightly squeaky key, clean the optical gratings. I was there when they did it. The action inside looked pristine, and I never close the fallboard. The squeak was fixed with some Teflon spray. Today the middle of the keyboard is as tight or loose as the ends, although if I want to b picky and push a key sideways then ok maybe the balance rail felts have some wear, sub millimetre. I asked about future action regulation, it can be done by Yamaha or a piano tech, although it’s unlikely a piano tech would have access to the service manual where the regulation adjustments and tolerances are described; but having said that a tech familiar with say a U1 or U3 could probably do a regulation. I expect they would balk at cleaning and re-calibrating the optical sensors. However this is something I personally feel comfortable doing having seen it done once. Still no need of a regulation yet! Lastly due to room constraints my DP is quit close to a convection heating radiator, and there’s no problem at all.

I would expect that the sensors in the NU1(X) are quite similar to the sensors in a Yamaha upright with silent system. Those are surely much more common and "normal" piano techs also encounter them more often. So they may be more familiar with such systems than one might think.

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2800746
01/11/19 04:23 AM
01/11/19 04:23 AM
P
PianoWVBob Offline
PianoWVBob  Offline
P

Thanks! That helped.

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2801095
01/12/19 02:57 AM
01/12/19 02:57 AM
E
Eienkei Offline OP
Eienkei  Offline OP
E

Thank you all, I finally listened to my heart and fingers and went with NU1X!

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2801101
01/12/19 03:52 AM
01/12/19 03:52 AM
Bay Area CA
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
pwl  Offline
Silver Subscriber
P

Bay Area CA
Congrats - ENJOY!

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2801174
01/12/19 09:31 AM
01/12/19 09:31 AM
USA
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Offline
Gold Subscriber

USA
Good choice. yippie

[Linked Image]

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2801184
01/12/19 10:03 AM
01/12/19 10:03 AM
San Jose
B
BradleyG Offline
BradleyG  Offline
B

San Jose
Congrats! Hope it gives you years of joy to play it!

Yamaha NU1X, CP4. Pianoteq. Ravenscroft 275
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2801230
01/12/19 12:20 PM
01/12/19 12:20 PM
O
oneilt130 Online content
O

If you want to use the Smart Pianist app be sure to get the wifi adapter for it as well.

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2801485
01/13/19 07:51 AM
01/13/19 07:51 AM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY
You will love it!

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: oneilt130] #2803021
14 hours ago
14 hours ago
Kent, UK
M
MarkH13 Offline
MarkH13  Offline
M

Kent, UK
Originally Posted by oneilt130
I recently went through the same decision process and ended up going with the NU1X over the CLP-685. It arrived this week and it has been great. Better than expected. Having said that I think I can distill the differences down to the following:

The NU1X is essentially a hybrid upright piano with the voice of the Yamha's CFX Grand. It's primary objective and what it is best at is playing as as a piano. It is as close as anything I tested out in that price range as sitting down at an acoustic upright piano. When I was testing it out at one dealer I was able to go back and forth between the Yamaha U1 upright and the NU1X, I could tell there was a difference but it came as close to the experience of an acoustic as anything I tested in that price range. Using the speakers it sounds very good. Using a good set of headphones the Binaural sampling of the CFX grand is great. Like I said it's about as close as you get to feeling like you are sitting at an acoustic upright piano.

Having said that part of what makes it feel that way is what it is not. The user controls are very simple, pretty much old school and blend into the instrument. When you are playing you don't notice them at all. It only has 15 voices. You can only record one track, you can't do a split keyboard with multiple voices. There is a certain amount of elegance in it's simplicity.

The CLP-685 on the other hand has all of the extras. Lot's of voices, you can split the keyboard etc. However I felt that the piano sound and feel was not the same as the NU1X. If I was considering those extras I probably would have gone with either the Roland LX706 or LX708 and not the CLP-685. I thought the Roland LX708 sounded better than the CLP-685 and I preferred the keyboard of the Roland over the CLP-685. I didn't get to test the LX706.

From my perspective what I wanted was something that played like a piano. The other stuff wasn't on my radar at all. Having had the NU1X for all of 3 days I can say it has exceeded my expectations. Someone else put it best when they said it is just a joy to sit down and play.

Fantastic summary, and one I agree with completely, having been through the same process a year ago, and bought the NU1X over the CLP-685. A year down the line I'm still delighted with the instrument, and have hardly touched my Steinway B since...

One further point to make about the 685 is that the action has a very strange 'notchiness' which feels very unnatural to me. This has been remarked on by several people, and although it might not be an issue for everyone, it completely put me off.

Having said that, even without the keyboard issue, the NU1X is streets ahead IMHO - it's the only DP I played that made me feel like I was playing an acoustic, and like oneilt, I find my NU1X a joy to play smile

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2803025
14 hours ago
14 hours ago
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Can't wait for mine to arrive smile Being one of the harshest critics of the NU1 issue, I feel a bit ashamed to a degree. On the other hand I remember very well how I tested N1 and NU1 side by side and I actually preferred NU1 and almost purchased it. But was then put off by the issue. Yet, every time I played a NU1 there was a smile on my face. And I believe the issue is now 100% reproducible for me, which (paradoxically) makes me feel better because at least I know how I can avoid it. Well, hopefully smile

BTW, I ordered a NU1X based on my love with NU1, hopefully the general feel and sound hasn't been changed with the newer model. Is anyone familiar with the exact differences? Is it the same CFX sound? Is it exactly the same keyboard?

Last edited by CyberGene; 14 hours ago.

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: Eienkei] #2803026
14 hours ago
14 hours ago
Germany
T
Tyr Offline
Tyr  Offline
T

Germany
The Keyboard is the same. The sound has the newest CFX sampling. To me, the sound quality has increased to the better.

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: CyberGene] #2803054
13 hours ago
13 hours ago
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

And I believe the issue is now 100% reproducible for me, which (paradoxically) makes me feel better because at least I know how I can avoid it. Well, hopefully smile

Yeah it's easy to reproduce on demand once you know how. You can "bind" just about any mechanism though if you are actively determined to do so, and it's part of adjusting your technique in actual playing to minimize it from accidentally or inadvertantly happening.

BTW, I ordered a NU1X based on my love with NU1, hopefully the general feel and sound hasn't been changed with the newer model. Is anyone familiar with the exact differences? Is it the same CFX sound? Is it exactly the same keyboard?

The sound is entirely different, I believe the NU1 was the first CFX-sampled DP, and though it was clean, the decays and sustain lengths were distractingly short by today's standards (you could play nearly anything with pedal down and it never gets muddy).

When the NU1X was first released, Yamaha moved it to the AvantGrand line, and actually made statements to the effect that the action was improved over the NU1 "to make it even more like an acoustic grand" (which is an odd thing to say when the entire reason for the product's existence is its upright action). Exactly what had changed I don't know, but Yamaha claims it's not exactly the same, nor with exactly the same feel as before...

Re: Help me choose between Yamaha CLP-685 and NUX1 [Re: CyberGene] #2803098
11 hours ago
11 hours ago
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY
Can't wait for mine to arrive smile Being one of the harshest critics of the NU1 issue, I feel a bit ashamed to a degree. On the other hand I remember very well how I tested N1 and NU1 side by side and I actually preferred NU1 and almost purchased it. But was then put off by the issue. Yet, every time I played a NU1 there was a smile on my face. And I believe the issue is now 100% reproducible for me, which (paradoxically) makes me feel better because at least I know how I can avoid it. Well, hopefully smile

Excited for you!!!

I just love the CFX sound on this: I rarely, if ever, use any of the other voices offered.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai vs yamaha conservatory grands
by kokatla. 01/17/19 09:10 PM
Name that piano! Prizes! Fame!
by Bruce In Philly. 01/17/19 07:26 PM
Concerns about buying the MP11SE due to possible MIDI issues
by Scriavel Bachmanin. 01/17/19 05:14 PM
Debussy plays Clair de Lune
by prout. 01/17/19 05:11 PM
Yamaha P-255 to P-515?
by MegaPiano. 01/17/19 03:56 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,634
Posts2,782,972
Members92,145
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission