2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
I've been listening to Nikolai Medtner's Sonata Tragica (Yevgeny Sudbin and Geoffrey Tozer). Is someone here familiar with his repertoire and can nominate some simpler pieces?

255 Offline
All his skazka are beautiful.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, MCMM! There is very little Medtner that I would consider "simple", but some of his Skazki (called Fairy Tales in English, somewhat incorrectly, IMO) fall into the late intermediate category. Dover provides a low priced edition of all his Skazki, and we're talking a lot of music here -- he wrote Skazki all of his life, typically in sets, much like Grieg did with his Lyric Pieces.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
Hi, MCMM! There is very little Medtner that I would consider "simple", but some of his Skazki (called Fairy Tales in English, somewhat incorrectly, IMO) fall into the late intermediate category. Dover provides a low priced edition of all his Skazki, and we're talking a lot of music here -- he wrote Skazki all of his life, typically in sets, much like Grieg did with his Lyric Pieces.

If you don’t mind....which ones, specifically, would you peg in the late intermediate category? I’ve been wanting something Medtner to explore but I have so many other things that need to be going on at the same time, I can’t fit a hugely difficult piece in there right now.

You’re right that “skazka” doesn’t really mean fairy tale but I don’t know quite what would substitute for it in less than five words! There are, however, a lot of lovely little skazki by various composers out there! I’d love to add a Medtner to the list!

P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
I got interested in the skaki a few years ago, listened to many of them and decided to learn Op 51 No 2. This is about a RCM level 9 piece but there are some extra challenges in voicing it correctly and playing to tempo. I never polished the piece to perform it among friends but may return to it some day. It was challenging but also intriguing.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Another one of the Fairy Tales that's not extremely hard and very lyrical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHYk_kxABwQ

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, TwoSnowflakes -- I would say 26-1 and 26-3 are in the late intermediate category; 34-2 (assuming you've got good left hand technique); 42-1 and 42-2; 51-2, 51-3, and 51-4. That should give you a good start!

As regards the translation of Skazki, I prefer to call them just "Tales", only because "Fairy Tales" in the Western world tend to imply stories for children, typically with some type of moral directive. I would say that the Slavic world has a different understanding of the fantastical figures that populate "Skazki", and they're for adults as well, but I agree that the proper description is cumbersome to elucidate.

O
O
I heard that his fairytales are wonderful gems worth listening to and studying because he had a very unique style. A lot of people tell me my music sounds like Medtner with my piano piece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpZqgxf_d1E but I am not that acquainted with the composer's music. I will definitely use the suggestions in this thread myself.

S
S
I've been an avid listener of Medtner's music for many years (it's a good thing CDs don't wear out, or my Tozer [near-]complete Medtner discs would be worn down to the nub by now!)...so when I came back to playing piano seriously, I picked one of my favorite Medtner pieces to learn. And it's also a work that is not as fiendishly difficult as so much of his work. It's the oddly-titled "Hymns in Praise of Toil." It's very sunny, uplifting, tuneful "goose-bumps" music. It's a three-movement work, but each movement can stand on its own. I learned the first movement/"Hymn". I hope to learn the other two movements someday, but they sound more difficult.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by scriabinfanatic
I've been an avid listener of Medtner's music for many years (it's a good thing CDs don't wear out, or my Tozer [near-]complete Medtner discs would be worn down to the nub by now!)...so when I came back to playing piano seriously, I picked one of my favorite Medtner pieces to learn. And it's also a work that is not as fiendishly difficult as so much of his work. It's the oddly-titled "Hymns in Praise of Toil." It's very sunny, uplifting, tuneful "goose-bumps" music. It's a three-movement work, but each movement can stand on its own. I learned the first movement/"Hymn". I hope to learn the other two movements someday, but they sound more difficult.

Did you know there's a documentary newly out about Tozer and his tragic death? The Eulogy - there's a trailer on Youtube but it's hard to get hold of.

I've been listening to Tozer's rendition of the Sonata Tragica (unpublished version) on Youtube and it's amazing.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
You could look at some of the other Forgotten Tunes, op 38 and 39. They are not all that difficult.

S
S
Originally Posted by MrCatMissMew

Did you know there's a documentary newly out about Tozer and his tragic death? The Eulogy - there's a trailer on Youtube but it's hard to get hold of.

I've been listening to Tozer's rendition of the Sonata Tragica (unpublished version) on Youtube and it's amazing.

Thanks for the tip. I just watched the trailer. It confirms what I've read elsewhere about the way he was underappreciated/mistreated in his home country. Looking forward to the public release of the documentary.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
The word 'skazki' really means fairy tales -- magic stories for children often with some type of moral directive, e. g. Grimms' fairy tales.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, Iaroslav! Well, I stand corrected! Far be it from me to argue with a Russian concerning this! Actually, I'd envisioned "skazki" as being closer to Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales, with a dark and sometimes downright sinister character to the story line, or to certain individuals. within it. Medtner himself described one of his skazki as being about an elf -- but a kindly and jovial one -- implying that were others you didn't want to run into in a dark alley!

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Medtner is my favorite composer, I'm working on Sonata Romantica op.53 no.1 smile

I think Sonata Reminiscenza op.38 no.1 is pretty approachable, maybe give that a try. There's some other slower Forgotten Melodies, but I gravitate strongly towards longer works so I don't have any recommendations on mind.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi, Iaroslav! Well, I stand corrected! Far be it from me to argue with a Russian concerning this! Actually, I'd envisioned "skazki" as being closer to Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales, with a dark and sometimes downright sinister character to the story line, or to certain individuals. within it. Medtner himself described one of his skazki as being about an elf -- but a kindly and jovial one -- implying that were others you didn't want to run into in a dark alley!

Grimm's tales have been "smoothed out" for many children's editions. If you go back to the originals, you'll find a lot of this darkness there, too smile

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I

Yes, Anderson's fairy tales, Grimms' fairy tales, Charles Perrault's fairy tales - they are all called 'skazki'.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission