2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
34 members (DrPianoLDN, clothearednincompo, David Lai, ColoRodney, Calavera, FloRi89, EVC2017, CyberGene, 1957, 6 invisible), 418 guests, and 350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
All-in-one DP vs VST?
#2797770 01/02/19 11:24 AM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Are there really any good DPs that have great string and orchestral sounds, or is a VST the way to go nowadays? I've tried digitals (most recently the Yamaha P515), but really haven't been that impressed with the sounds, considering the price. I'm thinking of just getting a MIDI keyboard, and running something like Spitfire Audio's Albion One on my PC. Much less money, and I think the sound will be a lot more realistic.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
Re: All-in-one DP vs VST?
Radio.Octave #2797807 01/02/19 12:39 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
VSTs can pretty much get you better anything. But there are still lots of great and very usable string/orchestral sounds, they may just not always be in the DPs you prefer for other reasons. Yamaha has some great orchestral sounds in the MODX, Montage, and Genos but those may not give you the piano experience of the P515. Kuzweil (Forte, SP6) is also nice for that kind of variety of sounds. But every board has its trade-offs.

Radio.Octave #2797813 01/02/19 01:04 PM
A
A
The question is how you extract the sounds. Assuming you are a composer/arranger:

If your method is writing notes/chords sequentially, one after another, then you are well with a decent DAW and a collection of VSTi including Spitfire.

If your method is live performance with post-editing of the results, the advantage of DP(s) is a possibility of playing several voices simultaneously using pre-programmed arpeggios, live overdubbing, several keyboards, pedals etc. Some Yamaha keyboards support this method and have decent orchestra sounds.

Both methods require a painstaking work for tuning volume, reverb and numerous other parameters for making the instruments compatible for sounding simultaneously.

Radio.Octave #2797819 01/02/19 01:32 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The Yamaha Montage is a professional workstation that has a lot of sound options. The Montage is built like a tank. I tried the 88 key version. The synth type keybed is sublime but differs from an that of an acoustic piano significantly. The mid-sized screen and knob user interface is excellent. Sound quality is excellent, even with the older lower quality patches. It is really fun to play and noodle around with. Liked this from the very first note. Very expensive as it really is made for professional studios.

The new Yamaha MODX is nearly "identical" at a much lower price. The case, the keybed feel a bit cheaper and the sound quality is not quite as good, even with the same sounds I played on the Montage. The synth forums note this is a great value.

Note there are big differences in keybed, price, etc among the different sized Yamaha boards, with the 88s being priced at a premium.

For string & orchestral sounds, VSTs probably offer better quality, more choice, perhaps more options for the future. That said they get expensive fast and another best one is right around the corner waiting to empty your wallet and disappoint you.

Both the Montage/MODX and the VSTs have learning curves. Albeit, you can just push a few buttons on the Montage/MODX and start playing which is rather fun; menu diving for more complex work might not be so much. I really don't like working on the computer for creative work. . .

I don't have any idea how the workstations & VSTs split the market for serious orchestral work & for popular music. I suppose professionals run both. . .

Radio.Octave #2797844 01/02/19 02:25 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Cool. I am not a pro, but aside from playing piano, I enjoy a lot of soundtrack and film music. Since I already have a reasonably powerful PC, and some decent monitor speakers, I thought I'd give the VST stuff a try. I'm sure the Yamaha, and other workstations are nice, but I'm not really at the point were I want to spend several thousand dollars.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
Radio.Octave #2797845 01/02/19 02:28 PM
A
A
I would add that instrument patches in the mentioned Yamaha keyboards typically have 88 tones range. Even Violins, Cellos, Flutes etc. They combine different basic samples for that, and they do not have special buttons for legato, spicato, tenuto, sforzando etc., which typically are present in VSTi instruments.

On the other hand, VSTi instruments have the sound ranges of the instruments they are sampled from. So, if you intend to make a classical format score and do not plan to play the instruments live, the VSTi path may be better.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key Linkage, instead of Key Pivot ?
by Charles Cohen - 10/24/20 09:02 PM
Thumping sound from keys
by MsTwinkle - 10/24/20 06:48 PM
Korg D1 fault
by MrButcher - 10/24/20 04:41 PM
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,387
Posts3,016,853
Members99,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission