Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Artur Gajewski, Animisha, bambooninja, Alex C, Charles Cohen, A Guy, 90125, 16 invisible), 952 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
January Piano Bar #2797486
01/01/19 01:41 PM
01/01/19 01:41 PM
J
jazztpt Offline OP
jazztpt  Offline OP
J

Well Happy New Year to everyone.

I will kick off the Bar for the new year with a tune of mine written some years ago but in a new version recorded today.
I have added a few things to my original tune and it includes a chorus of improvisation. In recent times I have tried to get things in one take but on this occasion this is take 2.

For some unknown reason I called this tune First Tide

First Tide

Thanks for listening.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2797548
01/01/19 04:58 PM
01/01/19 04:58 PM
T
Tim Adrianson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
T

Dave Brubeck -- Southern Scene

A happy and productive New Year's Day to all Piano Bar patrons! This month I have three selections, from quite different musical worlds. The first of these is "Southern Scene" by Dave Brubeck -- it's the title song for an album the Quartet issued following their highly successful "Time Out" and "Time Further Out" albums in the early 60s. All the material in the album was a tip of the hat to the American South, and for some reason it did not catch on to the same extent that the Time albums did -- but of course it still has Brubeck's consummate professionality throughout. "Southern Scene" is subtitled "Brier Bush", and is intended to evoke "The Blues", while still retaining the Jazz perspective.

Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2797550
01/01/19 05:16 PM
01/01/19 05:16 PM
T
Tim Adrianson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
T

I Won't Last a Day Without You/WOJB

Here's the second of my submissions for this month. When Beemer had posted "For All We Know" -- the 70s, not the 30s song -- that prompted me to go back to the Carpenter's "greatest hit" collection and play two other gems from the era, both from the pen of Roger Nichols and lyricist Paul Williams. "I Won't Last a Day Without You" was very successful when it was introduced in 1974, and made Williams and Nichols quite a lot of money, to be sure -- but they really hit the jackpot four years earlier with the 2nd song -- so well known that I left it as an acronym.

Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2797558
01/01/19 05:40 PM
01/01/19 05:40 PM
T
Tim Adrianson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
T

Farewell to Stromness/Yesnaby Ground -- Peter Maxwell Davies

Finally, this is diptych of pieces I found quite intriguing, with an interesting backstory. Peter Maxwell Davies was a 20th-21st century British composer, generally known for highly challenging, avant-garde compositions, such as "Eight Songs for a Mad King" and other chamber works. He elected to reside permanently to the Orkney Islands (off the west coast of Scotland) sometime in the 1970s. In the late 70s, significant uranium deposits were determined to exist in the immediate area, and the proposal was to develop an open-pit mining operation to extract the uranium. Most local residents were firmly against the proposal, and to contribute to the protest, Maxwell Davies created a theatre piece entitled the "Yellowcake Revue" (yellowcake is a nickname for uranium ore). The two pieces presented here were incidental music associated with the review. The first, "Farewell to Stromness", is a VERY slow Scottish march evoking the procession of the Stromness residents from the region (Stromness is the 2nd largest city). The 2nd, "Yesnaby Ground", is an amusing pun: as a musical term, "ground" refers to a piece with a repeating bass line, over which improvisation occurs -- it was a common form in Elizabethan England. But "ground" also refers to the Yesnaby area in the Orkneys, where the uranium deposits were identified.

Last edited by Tim Adrianson; 01/01/19 05:42 PM.
Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2797685
01/02/19 04:32 AM
01/02/19 04:32 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline

Germany
Jazztpt – First Tide Thanks for letting me begin the new year with a very nice impro-like original jazz tune of yours. This piece could have featured as a piano solo rendition in the movie La La Land.

Tim – Southern Scene I am not from the South, not even from the south of Germany, nor do I know much about Brubecks’ work, but this piece is very pleasant, jazzy, and a bit swinging with slightly dissonant, bluesy harmonies.

Tim – I won’t last a day without you I like the Carpenters but was unaware they recorded this one as well. I know they were criticised for making commercial music at a time when people preferred listening to protest songs with (the wrong) political messages or loud hard rock. Well, I think one should not measure the quality of a piece of music in terms of the money the composers and performers made with it – at that point I agree with the criticism – but I cannot see anything wrong in a well elaborated pleasing song performed by nice people such as the Carpenters.

Tim – Farewell to Stromness/Yesnaby Ground Very interesting story behind these pieces. Your background knowledge is amazing.

My contribution this month is “Song to Elitha”, a pretty little slow waltz tune by Oscar Peterson who composed it for his sister. I got the sheet music from Greener (the arrangement which I am not strictly following – as usual – is by his former piano teacher, thanks again to both of you).

Song to Elitha

Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2798063
01/03/19 10:07 AM
01/03/19 10:07 AM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Florida
Russ, First Tide is very appealing, lyrical and with beautiful harmonies. Those little thingies in three provide a nice relief and contrast. Interesting improv. Don’t know how you can do these things in one take!

Tim, nice playing on Southern Scene. Very Brubecky, with a touch of the blues. Your Williams and Nichols medley was a real nostalgia bomb for me, beautiful playing. Good work, too, on the pieces from the Yellow Cake Review. Interesting history there, thanks for that.

Constantin, a very charming piece by Oscar Peterson. I don’t think I’ve ever heard it before. It reminds me a bit of his Love Ballade, which I used to play. Well done.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2798070
01/03/19 10:27 AM
01/03/19 10:27 AM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Florida
And now for something completely different.

I suppose you could call this a musical identity crisis: a would-be jazz guy trying to play a rock version of a classical piece!

My piece is "A Mad Russian's Christmas", consisting of a few themes from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite, arranged in rock style, courtesy of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I am playing the piano parts, but the rest of the instruments are on a backing track.

So here it is, just in time for Christmas season (loosely defined!) Hold onto your hats, plug your ears, or hold your noses, whatever!

Ed

A Mad Russian's Christmas

Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2798117
01/03/19 12:58 PM
01/03/19 12:58 PM
Hershey, PA, USA
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
jazztpt - First Tide - yes, easy, lyrical listen - liked the contrasting improv part - adds much interest - nice playing throughout...

Tim - Won't Last a Day/WOJB - excellent interpretations as usual..always a joy...

Williams recorded "Won't Last..." himself (he was a much better songwriter than singer) and a singer by the name of Maureen McGovern had a fairly big hit with this, but anything that Karen Carpenter touched with that incomparable voice of hers was just pure gold - this is, as far as pop music goes, a superior song in every way and I want very much to love the Carpenter's version, and there is much there to like, but brother Richard had a nasty habit of over-producing their recordings, especially with layered overdubs, including worst of all having Karen sing along with herself on the chorus of some songs, which she did on this one - one Karen was sheer heaven, but the second Karen drowned out the first and ruined the whole listening experience. End of rant...

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2798303
01/04/19 07:30 AM
01/04/19 07:30 AM
J
jazztpt Offline OP
jazztpt  Offline OP
J

Tim Adrianson - look forward to your contributions each month and another very varied selection for the start of 2019.
Wonderful playing as usual , your experience shines through as you can obviously play anything you fancy.
Never been a great fan of the carpenters music myself and I never seem to hear it anymore ( probably due to the fact I dont listen to middle of the road radio so it could be they are playing all the time lol ) . Having said that I did enjoy your medley, though I initialy thought WOJB was a reference to We've Only Just Brexit but that's another story.
Actually WOJB is a tune Iisten to often but in a version by the late great Trumpet player Derek Watkins, its a bit different from the original and available on YouTube if anyones interested but be warned its probably more for trumpet/big band fans.
A minor geographic correction , Orkney is off the North Coast of Bonny Scotland rather than the west.

Constatin - Don't know this one but beautiful playing, your best so far I think and great recording too.

Riddler (Ed) - showing us a new side for 2019, you must have had some fun recording this because it certainly comes across in the performance and its all very tight, more.

Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2798349
01/04/19 10:26 AM
01/04/19 10:26 AM
T
Tim Adrianson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
T

Here's my commentary on posts to date -- let's hope for a few more!

jazztpt -- For me, this was just a great example of a Jazz tune -- one that's a little hard to get on first hearing (and this is good), but is light, airy, and swinging, to borrow from the title of an old George Shearing album. It lends itself naturally to multiple improvisations by the instrumentalists, as befits a traditional Jazz treatment in a combo setting. Your improvisation consistently surprises, but never in a labored manner -- thoroughly enjoyable to listen to.

Pianist685 -- A wonderfully effective rendition of Peterson's poignant tribute to Elitha. Peterson was of course best known for his staggering technique and prolific Jazz covers of American Popular Standards, over many decades -- but he was also a composer of some note, and IMO his training in Classical Music is very much evident here. A major, major player in Jazz -- and really somewhat underrated in his overall influence.

Riddler -- Really a quite effective melange of Nutcracker tunes in a Rock idiom. I always place Mannheim Steamroller and TransSiberian Railroad in the same boat -- groups that created inventive Rock-based arrangements of Christmas Carols and other music associated with the Christmas season in a commercially accessible format -- and basically made that their entire "shtick", now over many years indeed. It's not an idiom that I particularly seek out, but at least here in the Madison, WI area, it clearly has its devoted clientele. Cleverly arranged; enjoyable to listen to!

Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2798467
01/04/19 02:22 PM
01/04/19 02:22 PM
Istanbul
I
IosPlayer Offline
IosPlayer  Offline
I

Istanbul
Jazztpt, my favorite of yours so far. Liked the voicing and 3/4 insinuations. New year off to a good start!

Tim, I liked the last the best. Most dynamic range in the first part of it and lots of beautiful warmth,

Constantine, really well done and a beautiful piece by a great one. Very fluid runs. Maybe a little less reverb for my tastes.

Ed, really cool! And mad! Could listen to a whole album of these scheezo classics.
Rasputeen, lover of the Russian Qveen

And my offering this month...

https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070/one-for-willie-1

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070
1915 Steinway B, Kawai MP11se, Casio AT5
Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2798649
01/05/19 06:06 AM
01/05/19 06:06 AM
J
jazztpt Offline OP
jazztpt  Offline OP
J

IosPlayer - well 3 listens later, four and a half minutes of gorgeous harmonies and lushness. Just perfect Mike, perfect. I loved it.

Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2798771
01/05/19 01:34 PM
01/05/19 01:34 PM
Istanbul
I
IosPlayer Offline
IosPlayer  Offline
I

Istanbul
Thank you so much, jazztpt. Your praise means a lot to me. I wish I understood EQing better. The piano part really needs some work.

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2798922
01/05/19 10:57 PM
01/05/19 10:57 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Florida
Mike, beautiful sounds, from beginning to end. You can really paint an exquisite scene, musically speaking.

Re EQing, I thought your piano stood out well. I grappled with some issues on my Mad Russian recording. Nothing makes the tone of a piano sound worse than mixing it with a high-distortion guitar sound!

Ed

Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2798981
01/06/19 05:07 AM
01/06/19 05:07 AM
Istanbul
I
IosPlayer Offline
IosPlayer  Offline
I

Istanbul
Thank you, Ed, for your kind words. It is impossible to know how one's music affects others unless they tell you. So thanks again. The problems I hear when listening back are too shrill treble notes at times and muddied bass at others. Using automation with a high end parametric equalizer ( these are available on iOS) it could be fixed but I lack the know how and, frankly, the ears to discern, tho I can hear the overall technical issues. Still, the whole recording process and result, even on an iPad. Is so superior and to what I could do in the eighties that it is acceptable if not professional.

Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2798994
01/06/19 06:02 AM
01/06/19 06:02 AM
Hershey, PA, USA
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
Constantin - Song to Elitha - my brother and I had a large collection of jazz albums way back when LPs were the medium of choice, which included Oscar, and I'm sure I must have heard this before at some time or other, but I don't remember it - it's a lovely piece played with your usual deft touch - I had to listen three times to get most of the nuances - very enjoyable and very well done.

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2799129
01/06/19 02:15 PM
01/06/19 02:15 PM
Hershey, PA, USA
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
Here's my contribution to the January Bar - it's from the classic 1942 movie "Casablanca", in which only parts of the song are heard at various times - over the decades since it has become a classic in it's own wright, having been voted at one point the 2nd best movie song of all time (behind "Over the Rainbow") - but it wasn't written at that time or for that movie - instead it was composed 11 years earlier in 1931 for the Broadway musical "Everybody's Welcome" by one Herman Hupfeld (as an added song). It was also used as the theme song of the very popular 1990s British sitcom by the same name which is still appearing in reruns on PBS stations.

This is a basic, straight forward, largely unadorned arrangement that does however contain some interestingly creative chord combinations...

As Time Goes By

Last edited by Handyman; 01/06/19 02:23 PM.

Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2799394
01/07/19 02:01 PM
01/07/19 02:01 PM
Istanbul
I
IosPlayer Offline
IosPlayer  Offline
I

Istanbul
Just trying to keep the bar on the first page.... Best version by Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane, hands down. My One And Only Love....

https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070/my-one-and-only-love

Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2799713
01/08/19 10:26 AM
01/08/19 10:26 AM
T
Tim Adrianson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
T

My One and Only Love arr Liz Story

Hi, folks -- catching up with some new submissions --

IosPlayer -- For me, "For Willie" was the most satisfying submission you've provided to date. Just a beautiful extended introduction, exploring the upper reaches of the electric piano, and you brought first the strings and later the chorus in at just the right moments to augment the extended meditation. It had passion, warmth, poignancy, a great sense of overall structure -- really a joy to listen to!
For some reason, I found your cover of "My one and Only Love" far easier to "get" than when you first posted it several months back. There is of course considerable displacement of the melodic flow, particularly in the 2nd iteration, but I did not find it unduly difficult to follow. I guess close listening helps, when you hear it again after an extended absence!

Handyman -- Just as you said -- a straightforward, unadorned rendition of this well-deserved American Songbook classic. I didn't hear "creative chording", but I thought the elegance of the melodic and chordal flow is a major reason for its popularity -- that, and the emotional complex of the lyric matches up so wonderfully well with the "feel" of the melody. Thanks for sharing it!

Since "My One and Only Love" was revisited, I thought I'd go back 3 - 4 years ago and provide an arrangement by Liz Story, who provided an entire book of American Standards. I didn't know Liz Story very well, but knew that she well known as a New Age artist, and so I was amazed at the sophistication of her jazz-based vocabulary. But it turns out that she was in fact a Jazz pianist in a "previous life", and actually was a student of Bill Evans in the early to mid 60s. A great ear, IMO!

Re: January Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2800011
01/09/19 08:00 AM
01/09/19 08:00 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline

Germany
Ed – A Mad Russian’s Christmas This is really funny and Russian at the same time. But you aren’t serious, are you? I know the Transsiberian Railway. So they have an orchestra on board? I must try a trip with them.

Handyman – As time goes by It seems you got Pianoteq running well with your instrument. Congratulations. I really do like this song and the movie. Bogart gets asked “Who do you think will win the war?” and he answers “I don’t know.” Funny, when I saw this scene on TV, it made me realize that the movie was shot (haha, you are not only shooting the enemy, you are shooting the movie as well) when the war was still on, in 1942 I think. The arrangement you are playing is quite basic, indeed, but the song is always wonderful no matter what the arrangement is like.

IOSPlayer – One for Willie A very pleasant rendition with very warm chords, rather enjoyable. I like the change of mood at 2:19.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Comparing DP to acoustic, muffled/metallic sound etc...
by Artur Gajewski. 01/16/19 01:27 AM
Need Roland HP170 service manual/schematic
by btsui. 01/15/19 11:15 PM
Discord Online Jamming Central server looking for pianists
by Tyrone Slothrop. 01/15/19 11:02 PM
NU1X white noise?
by Eienkei. 01/15/19 10:51 PM
What keyboard should I get???
by jbear876. 01/15/19 08:42 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,592
Posts2,782,181
Members92,114
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission