Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
136 registered members (Animisha, ando, ajames, Amedeus, accordeur, 36251, AlphaBravoCharlie, Andy R, 33 invisible), 1,733 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2797264
01/01/19 12:13 AM
01/01/19 12:13 AM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
thepianoplayer416  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
Being in a non-musical family, everybody is into business. The only thing we'd discuss at the dinner table is the latest in the financial markets. Everybody in the family get reminded we need to take care of our bank accounts first. Nobody in the family would get into music because the weekly lessons takes too long to get somewhere.

In my younger days I got into violin playing out of convenience because someone else already taken up the instrument. It was easier to share the same instrument and the same teacher. In my younger days mom took me to a few piano lessons. Nobody was really expecting anything. Nobody around was very musical to give positive feedback along the way. Within a month, our first & last family piano was gone and I'd never see another upright in the house again. After I started working, I took up piano playing on a keyboard.

I started piano late after everybody else in the family stopped playing. Many instruments sit at home as a piece of furniture. I'm still playing an hour a day on an 88-keyboard. It's a personal thing that takes my mind away from the family's obsession of business & finance. Talking about the last piece of music I worked on is very much a taboo subject in family discussions. Being in a music group I am with like-minded people all the time but a family gathering is a different social environment. Nobody would sing Christmas carols or play the birthday song when somebody's special day rolls around. Close relatives don't encourage kids to get into music. Everybody had taken some music lessons but there was no expectations of anybody getting to an advanced level.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2797278
01/01/19 02:01 AM
01/01/19 02:01 AM
H
humble_pianist Offline OP
humble_pianist  Offline OP
H

I cannot tell you how much your encouragement means to me. I was raised to belive that if you are not the best in the world, it doesn't matter. But i truly decided to begin a new adventure, find that something i once had, play to bring joy to myself and those around me. I thank you. Maybe it will sound strange but after many years i feel like i have something to look forward to. I take every song as a challenge to conquer. Though i know that many of you will think of it as to plain and stupid (my grandpa included), i really like the song two steps from heck - invincible, and would like to be able to play it while playing it in background, at the original tempo.

Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2797282
01/01/19 02:09 AM
01/01/19 02:09 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

Originally Posted by humble_pianist
Though i know that many of you will think of it as to plain and stupid (my grandpa included), i really like the song two steps from heck - invincible

That maybe your family talking. I'm certainly not thinking that. I think it would be wonderful for you to do what you are determined to do.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2797315
01/01/19 04:13 AM
01/01/19 04:13 AM
Sweden
Animisha Online content
Animisha  Online Content

Sweden
Hi humble_pianist, and welcome!

I was raised to belive that if you are not the best in the world, it doesn't matter.

It is actually completely the opposite. What does it matter if your are the best in the world? At the end of the day, "being the best" is just a thought that makes the ego happy.

But i truly decided to begin a new adventure, find that something i once had, play to bring joy to myself and those around me.

Beautiful words, just what we all need.

I take every song as a challenge to conquer.

And if it would happen, that you fail with some song - there is no harm in it. There are so many other pieces that you can learn instead.

The best of luck on your adventure!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2801932
01/14/19 02:20 PM
01/14/19 02:20 PM
H
H

Just a quick update. I have been playing piano everyday and i am having lots of fun. I learned a few new things about my playing aswell, like what i need to improve and what i am good at. I made covers of 2 songs from Two steps from heck, though i should practice them more before uploading, i was just to anxious at the end and wanted to hear how songs sound with background music playing.

Two steps from heck - heart of courage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBUotwgZjCk

Two steps from heck - invincible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-RXqBmA6gY

Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2801942
01/14/19 02:54 PM
01/14/19 02:54 PM
Greater Chicago Metro Area
E
EPW Offline
EPW  Offline
E

Greater Chicago Metro Area
Listened to the second one. Sounds like you are having fun. That is the key to me having fun at the piano. Stop being so hard on yourself enjoy the ride.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2802001
01/14/19 05:07 PM
01/14/19 05:07 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Online content
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Online Content
Gold Subscriber

Kitsap County, WA
While i have only the greatest of respect for classical music and its composers, i still feel some negative emotions when playing it. I guess some scars remain with you over the years. It really opened my eyes when i realised that i can pretty much play any kind of music on a piano.

I'm glad you're trying out something different. With your existing ability you can do whatever you want! The world could definitely use more Oscar Peterson non-classical virtuoso type players smile

๐’€๐’‚๐’Ž๐’‚๐’‰๐’‚ ๐‘จ๐’—๐’‚๐’๐’• ๐‘ฎ๐’“๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐‘ต1๐‘ฟ
Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2809409
02/01/19 11:45 AM
02/01/19 11:45 AM
H
H

It is amazing that i can play along songs i really like, and there are so many. I am really having fun lately with the piano, when i need to relax from writting diploma thesis i just play and forget about everything else. I am thinking also about young kids who begin to play, i was teaching a couple of those during my college years to earn some extra money. At a very young age i belive normal kids aren't big fans of classical music, at least i haven't met that many. Yet in music schools they mostly play classical music. I really dont think there are many who like Bach at a young age, let alone understand it. I am willing to bet that there are many kids who stop playing piano simply because of the type of music they are forced to play, not the piano themselves. If i ever decide to teach again, i will make sure half of the songs i teach them will be songs they like, for instance covers of popular pop songs. Here is the latest song i learned, it is from a game i never really played much when i was a kid, but i do remember i did really like the theme song and used to listen to it over and over again, the elder scrolls: morrowind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk_G0UKDi0A

Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2809428
02/01/19 12:36 PM
02/01/19 12:36 PM
Madison
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
HollyBytheLake  Offline
H

Madison
How lovely, Humble Pianist. Thank you for sharing.

I'm only just recently hearing of this genre of music "gaming music". Perhaps it has a more formal name, but I associate "gaming music" with music used in video games and syfy shows. I would have thought of it as just an extension of "classical", something to be a follow up the movie scores that took over from the early 20th century composers. Alas, I am a minority of one in this analysis I expect. As I LOVE the late romantics and early 20th Eastern European and Russian music, I'm finding when people post their "gaming" music I'm drawn right in.

Thanks again.

but think how good I could be in five years...
Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2809455
02/01/19 01:17 PM
02/01/19 01:17 PM
Dallas
A
Antipodes Offline
Antipodes  Offline
A

Dallas
Hi Humble_piano! Iโ€™m just new here. This is my first comment. Iโ€™ve really enjoyed the encouraging and kind and helpful comments here and l hope you do too. Iโ€™m an adult re-learner having started again (for the third time) at age 44! My family doesnโ€™t have the same amazing musical history as yours, but they do tend to be very goal-driven. My mum recently asked me what was my goal with piano...like what did l want to be able to play. It reminds me of the pressure your parents have placed on you. It felt like l had to โ€œachieve โ€œ something, or in their eyes itโ€™s a waste of time. It irritated me, but l was proud of my answer.

I said, l just want to play. My goal is to play and practice every day, and to keep improving. And to enjoy playing. Honestly thatโ€™s it. Playing brings me so much joy. (Ok but secretly l love Ceasar Franckโ€™s works so if l could play any of those lโ€™d be thrilled...lol)

I wish this for you too. And if itโ€™s not Piano that brings you joy, l wish for you to find whatever does. Best wishes, Antipodes

Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2809461
02/01/19 01:30 PM
02/01/19 01:30 PM
Chicago
P
Pau Gasol Offline
Pau Gasol  Offline
P

Chicago
When i was 14, i rebelled and stopped playing it. My family was very disappointed and wasn't shy to tell me how much i dissapointed them, it kind of left a mark on me, made me really sad in life and feeling like a dissapointment. I couldn't even look at the piano until i was about 20.

Ha ha that all sounds very familiar!

There was a piano at my grandparent's house; it turned out it actually belonged to my mother. Back when I was 8 or 9 years old, we'd visit them and around this time I found there were a bunch of very old piano instruction books there in the seat. I taught myself just a few basics and then the promise was made that when (or if) we could get the piano transported to our house, I could take lessons! Eventually, we had the piano transported to our house and I was signed up to take lessons, but by this time I was 13 or 14 and my interests had migrated to other things. I hated the lessons and rarely practiced. After a couple years, I was able to quit (despite the very obvious disappointment on the part of my mother) and I defiantly avoided ever touching the piano ever again and eventually we found someone (a school or church or something) willing to come and take it off our hands. Only now, nearly 40 years later, am I picking it up again! First post here, yay!!

Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2809468
02/01/19 01:56 PM
02/01/19 01:56 PM
Sweden
Animisha Online content
Animisha  Online Content

Sweden
It is amazing that i can play along songs i really like, and there are so many. I am really having fun lately with the piano,

Great humble pianist, you found you way back to the piano.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2809501
02/01/19 03:15 PM
02/01/19 03:15 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
Wow Humble Pianist!! Those videos are really inspiring for me. Thanks for that and kudos to you!

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: My story [Re: Pau Gasol] #2809510
02/01/19 03:25 PM
02/01/19 03:25 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online sleepy
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Sleepy
Silver Level

Florida
Originally Posted by Pau Gasol
When i was 14, i rebelled and stopped playing it. My family was very disappointed and wasn't shy to tell me how much i dissapointed them, it kind of left a mark on me, made me really sad in life and feeling like a dissapointment. I couldn't even look at the piano until i was about 20.

Ha ha that all sounds very familiar!

There was a piano at my grandparent's house; it turned out it actually belonged to my mother. Back when I was 8 or 9 years old, we'd visit them and around this time I found there were a bunch of very old piano instruction books there in the seat. I taught myself just a few basics and then the promise was made that when (or if) we could get the piano transported to our house, I could take lessons! Eventually, we had the piano transported to our house and I was signed up to take lessons, but by this time I was 13 or 14 and my interests had migrated to other things. I hated the lessons and rarely practiced. After a couple years, I was able to quit (despite the very obvious disappointment on the part of my mother) and I defiantly avoided ever touching the piano ever again and eventually we found someone (a school or church or something) willing to come and take it off our hands. Only now, nearly 40 years later, am I picking it up again! First post here, yay!!

Welcome to the forum...donโ€™t you have a game tonight?

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin 28:15
Tchaikovsky Seasons: October

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2809726
02/02/19 06:00 AM
02/02/19 06:00 AM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
thepianoplayer416  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
In my younger days my mother took me to a piano teacher before age 10. I had no clue how to get 10 fingers to play songs. The first lesson the teacher introduced the Middle C. We had a black piano at home. After a few lessons I was supposed to know how to play "Twinkle". Within a month, the piano was out of our home permanently and nobody in my family has a piano again.

In my teenage years, a cousin tried to teach me an easy song (2 lines) out of a beginner's book. The L just plays the same Cm chord repeated over and over. I didn't have the hand coordination to play 4 notes at a time and didn't touch a piano for another 20 years after learning to play violin.

Coming from a non-musical family where everybody is into business, everybody in the family took music lessons but we were not expected to make a career as a professional musician. People in my family either due to the lack of interest or the lack of talent quit after a few years. My parents would remind everybody it's more important to look after our bank accounts first.

I eventually got a keyboard and started learning to play everyday. It was during the worst time in my life playing music kept me from falling into a depression. In my childhood years, my peers would rather play outside than sitting in the living practicing piano even for an hour. I had no aspiration or dream that I would eventually be playing pieces by Bach, Mozart, Beethoven or Chopin. Circumstance changed. Now I'm playing songs on my keyboard everyday when others in the family stopped playing music many years ago.

For someone like myself, I'm the exact opposite. Coming from a non-musical family, my parents were willing to pay for the lessons and expected me to practice because the money was spent. People around me had no expectation how far we can progress or what types of music we would expect to play. I'm playing today because nobody in the family can. I get into music as a rebellion against a family who is into money than the other way around. In my family we listen to Classical music on the radio regularly but my parents are not trained musicians. Following my parents footsteps even spending an hour a day playing music is too much. I have a lot more appreciation of music than financial matters.

Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2809731
02/02/19 06:42 AM
02/02/19 06:42 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
.....I am wondering how much can i actualy improve from here on, considering my age ? My family did kind of say that i can never replace those years and that it is all lost....

I can only concur with the spirit of the other responses. Don't think about limits, just play and create whatever takes your fancy. If you enjoy it and work at it I conjecture that your progress is likely to be amazing. Lots of families say stupid things in the heat of the moment. My parents told me my "whole life was ruined" because I left university and worked on the waterfront to save to buy a grand. They mean well but they don't understand; be kind to them and their stance will change with time.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2809738
02/02/19 07:33 AM
02/02/19 07:33 AM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Miles  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

South Wales
At a very young age i belive normal kids aren't big fans of classical music, at least i haven't met that many. Yet in music schools they mostly play classical music. I really dont think there are many who like Bach at a young age, let alone understand it. I am willing to bet that there are many kids who stop playing piano simply because of the type of music they are forced to play, not the piano themselves.

Agreed!

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2810211
02/03/19 01:18 PM
02/03/19 01:18 PM
India
Tech-key Offline
Tech-key  Offline

India
This post just caught my eye. The first video linked of the 5 year old OP was too cute for words. Made my day!

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: My story [Re: humble_pianist] #2816905
02/18/19 11:25 AM
02/18/19 11:25 AM
H
H

Something new from me smile Sadly both microphones on mobile phone were covered by dirt so audio is very bad. I hope now that i cleaned them it will be better. I will think about investing in a standalone microphone for recording. So here it is, the elder scrolls: skyrim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDrArwrFwZI

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Craigslist Again!
by UnrightTooner. 03/26/19 06:53 AM
Best site to learn gospel music?
by chongjasmine. 03/26/19 06:35 AM
Piano marvel vs playground sessions?
by chongjasmine. 03/26/19 05:50 AM
Lifting the CA98
by iLogic. 03/26/19 02:58 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,134
Posts2,811,034
Members92,881
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission