2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I probably listen to Mozart 23 two or three times a month. I've never gotten tired of it.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
From a performer's rather than a listener's point of view, there are many pieces that I come back to and I hope, when I do, that I bring something more to them than I did when I worked on them in the past.

This month, I am revisiting the Brahms Op. 117 Intermezzi. I performed them in a recital perhaps three years ago, but there is such depth to these pieces that they merit revisiting. Building on my past experience with them, I can still find elements that can be further refined or can be approached in a different manner.

That's the wonder of great music; it never palls.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I think one of the most important criterion for greatness in a piece of music is how many times one can listen to it and still enjoy it/never get bored.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/28/18 03:28 PM.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think one of the most important criterion for greatness in a piece of music is how many times one can listen to it and still enjoy it/never get bored.

thumb

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
As a listener, I never tire of the six Bach keyboard concerti.

Best regards,

Deborah
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Amen to that! I do it as well all the time.

[Linked Image]
V
V
Prokofievs 8th piano sonata, both from a performers and a listeners perspective I find to be extremely fascinating. I would describe this piece the way BruceD described the Brahms Intermezzi. It's a piece that you can revisit an endless amount of times and still find new little things and new ways to approach certain passages. The same can also be said about Beethoven's late piano sonatas.

T
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
The first movement of the Bach Italian Concerto in F for sure. This is probably the the first keyboard piece composed in the 18th century that has dynamics written into the score. Back in those days there were keyboards (harpsichord & clavichord) with different configurations. The original was played on a harpsichord and not a piano with 2 sets of keys 1 above the other. 1 set produced a louder sound while the other produced a muted sound. There are a few p & f markings but nothing in between (mp, mf, cres. & decres.)

A holiday favorite was an arrangement of "O Holy Night" that I use regularly as warm-up piece because of the L-hand arpeggios despite the connection to Christmas.

And then there is the piano arrangement of Shostakovich Waltz #2 I found online. This piece from the 20th century has a modern sound but retains elements of a waltz by Johann Strauss a century earlier.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, I decided to come back to this place after a long absence due to a shameful post I wrote a while ago (which was my 2nd time), so 1st piece I keep coming back to is piano world forums;

And thus I have re-emerged from my cave - like grinch, who, instead of ruining christmas, is now here to ruin new years' eve for every single person on this forum with my idiotic posts.

But, off-dee-doo with the silly-willy talk now, and onto-de-loo the thread-illy-didlly thread topic now -

from a listeners' standpoint - too much stuff for me to be able to bring out a top few; a lot of Liszt, some Chopin, Philip Glass' etudes as of recently and the final movement of Mahler's 2nd symphony-dymphony are some of the works I have been listening to a lot recently.

From a performers' stand (or sit) point - I keep coming back to this one piece of crap I wrote a while ago - It's a half-finished cack which I don't know what to make of, and it makes me depressed every time I look at it and play it again.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I go through phases when I listen to music, but any piece/composer I really like, I keep coming back to. I discover new stuff all the time, but I haven't stopped listening to any particular pieces either.

W
W
I keep coming back to the popular intermediate and more accessible advanced classics. Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique, Debussy's Clair De Lune, Motzart's Rondo Alla Turka, that sort of thing. Also a good percentage of Chopin's catalog falls into this category.

It is very nice to be able to produce enjoyable and beautiful music without having to break too great a sweat. At this point in my life I can't devote everything to leaning new and complicated pieces, so a few dusty gems are frequently just the thing for me.

A
A
I usually go through phases of listening to one piece over and over again.

Definitely some pieces I keep going back to are Chopin's Ballade no. 4, Brahms Op. 117, and Schumann Fantasiestucke. I've also been enjoying Grieg's Piano Concerto and would love to play some day. Not exactly a piano solo piece but one of my all-time favorite pieces is Franck's A major Violin Sonata. I can't and won't ever get over how awesome the whole piece is.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
K488 is one of those pieces I keep returning to as well. Coincidentally I've been working on it for the last couple of weeks. I've been doing this every so often for the last ten years without any expectation of ever finishing it. Anyone that doesn't know the Kempff/Leitner 1960 recording of this work owes it to themselves to have a listen to it. It's coupled with an equally superb recording of K491.

Last edited by timmyab; 01/02/19 08:01 AM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Alpacacino
[...] Not exactly a piano solo piece but one of my all-time favorite pieces is Franck's A major Violin Sonata. I can't and won't ever get over how awesome the whole piece is.

But it's interesting, isn't it, that the title of the work (Schott edition) is: "Sonate für Piano und Violine."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
R
R
One piece I've recently been coming back to a lot is Scriabin's Sonata-Fantasy in G# Minor. It really is an amazing piece with plenty of texture, color, and emotion that I think every classical enthusiast should listen to at least once.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Brahms 117/2. Ravel Sonatine. Bach/Brahms Chaconne. Chopin Gm Ballade.

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
R
R
Over the last year - probably Philip Glass Etude #2. So simple, yet it slays me emotionally (forearms too if I don't have my relaxation under control!)

It's not a 'piece', but Horowitz's Scriabin recordings.

Bach Cello Suites play in my head every day; I don't listen to them much anymore because I don't have to.

The 5 Beethoven Piano Concertos, preferably in one long listen.

Leo Brouwer etudes (classical guitar).

Villa-Lobos etudes (classical guitar).

Perhaps king of all recordings is Stern/Zuckerman recordings of the Bach Violin Concertos. Right behind that is Harrell /Ashkenazy Brahms Sonata in E Minor.

OP did not specify piano, so I took liberties. The above is the (classical) musical landscape in my head and mind.

Last edited by RogerRL; 01/14/19 03:46 PM.

Shigaru Kawai SK-2, Kawai MP11SE
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Everything by Bach.

Regards,

Polyphonist

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Alpacacino
[...] Not exactly a piano solo piece but one of my all-time favorite pieces is Franck's A major Violin Sonata. I can't and won't ever get over how awesome the whole piece is.

But it's interesting, isn't it, that the title of the work (Schott edition) is: "Sonate für Piano und Violine."

Regards,
Probably reflecting the fact that the piano part is as important as the violin's. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I went back to the Schumann Arabesque,the Chopin Nocturne in Bflat minor op9 ,Beethoven Sonata op22 in Bflat , and Clair de Lune .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission