2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (Azalingchan, AJB, accordeur, BMKE, Animisha, beeboss, anamnesis, 20 invisible), 1,001 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Chrispy Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I thought some of you might enjoy this. My teacher was curious to try out my Yamaha CLP-685 as he'd never played a decent digital before. I was showing him the record function and captured this with the direct to WAV recording. Needless to say, my instrument has never been played quite so well laugh He also was pretty impressed and gave the CLP-685 a thumbs up and thought it would serve me and my son well for a while (though at some point in the future he wants me to get an acoustic grand.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qLVa635LX71gkznPPyVbIUUJoFjA6vNy/view

I forgot to ask what the piece of music was, I'm sure someone here will recognize it.

Last edited by squidbot; 12/30/18 05:24 AM.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Great playing! He apparently knows his job smile As to the sound, it’s a bit boxy to my ears but the piano is nevertheless meant to be played through its speakers rather than being listened to in recordings.

I hate the 685 keyboard. It’s the worst feeling keyboard in a digital piano I’ve ever played. But that’s just my taste and then I’m just a hobbyist.

What’s important is your teacher encourages you and likes it. It means it’s similar to what he likes, presumably similar to his own grand, and since you will be learning on both it means no need for a huge adaptation/transition between the two instruments.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Sounds great!

[Linked Image]

"One has to accept that to be human is to be fallible, and then do the best one can and be captured by the music."

-- Gyorgy Sebok
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wish I could do that! Can't vouch for the sound as my crappy cheap tablet sounds like a can with string in it, but he can play alright. smile

M
M
The fact is that, as I listened to the piece on my iPad, I wouldn’t have been able to say if it was a digital or an acoustic. That must mean something. I’d like to believe that I’d be able to tell them apart if I listened to them, say, behind a curtain... but I’m not sure.
(The piece is one of the latest Schubert sonates, don’t remember which one)

P-515
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Very nice playing. The CFX sound samples on the latest CLP series are really good!

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
T
T
I liked the playing and the piece.

On the other hand, I am not sure about the sound. Sounds like every other digital. I guess it’s recorded directly to the USB with the USB audio recorder, the sound is dry and lacks reverberation and presence. Expected more from a top-of-the-line instrument.

Chrispy Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TrollToddington
I liked the playing and the piece.

On the other hand, I am not sure about the sound. Sounds like every other digital. I guess it’s recorded directly to the USB with the USB audio recorder, the sound is dry and lacks reverberation and presence. Expected more from a top-of-the-line instrument.

There is definitely some processing that is not saved with the WAV file as it sounds much warmer coming out of the headphones (which has binaural processing) or speaker (which uses a spruce cone and does seem to make a difference over the 675.) But I agree, the sound is definitely not a live CFX smile But, I'm happier with this instrument than any acoustic I've tried at the same price point. I just recently went shopping to get an idea of how much I need to save to get my "forever grand", and I tried a lot of pianos. To get an action and sound that I would be as happy with would have been more than double the price of this digital. Depending on how long I can wait, my forever instrument will be 5x to 10x =O

Last edited by squidbot; 12/30/18 08:30 PM.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
T
T
Originally Posted by squidbot
There is definitely some processing that is not saved with the WAV file as it sounds much warmer coming out of the headphones (which has binaural processing) or speaker (which uses a spruce cone and does seem to make a difference over the 675.) But I agree, the sound is definitely not a live CFX smile But, I'm happier with this instrument than any acoustic I've tried at the same price point. I just recently went shopping to get an idea of how much I need to save to get my "forever grand", and I tried a lot of pianos. To get an action and sound that I would be as happy with would have been more than double the price of this digital. Depending on how long I can wait, my forever instrument will be 5x to 10x =O
Unfortunately, that defeats one of the reasons to get a digital - to be able to easily record my works. If recording requires additional post processing on my side in order to make the piano voice sound warmer and more realistic, then it’s a no go and I’d better learn to record an acoustic or (better) rent a studio. However, for some non-critical recordings (for example, sending your playing to your teacher for evaluation, recording your kids, etc.) it will do.

Once again, this only confirms what I said in the other thread, the digitals are good for a beginner-to-intermediate pianist. On the other hand, that makes most of the pianists around the world.

Regarding a “forever instrument”, the top-of-the-line Petroff upright can be had for €16k. The price of a small car 😀

I hope you enjoy playing your piano regardless of its shortcomings. In my opinion, the 685 belongs to the better digitals.

Online Content
I forgot to ask what the piece of music was, I'm sure someone here will recognize it.

The piece is the 1st movement of the Schubert piano sonata, No. 19 in C minor, D. 958.

Chrispy Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Regarding a “forever instrument”, the top-of-the-line Petroff upright can be had for €16k. The price of a small car 😀

Holy cow, that's just over $18k USD. The sticker price on the Petrof P194S Storm (my dream piano) here in the US is $52,880! Maybe it's time to move to Europe!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Holy cow, that's just over $18k USD. The sticker price on the Petrof P194S Storm (my dream piano) here in the US is $52,880! Maybe it's time to move to Europe!

When comparing your price to Troll's, I think you overlooked the crucial word "upright" in his post. smile

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recordings: Departure / Heartbroken Kiki (from Studio Ghibli: Kiki's Delivery Service)
Chrispy Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Oops missed that! Thanks JoBert smile

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music theory - Key identification
by Animisha - 07/06/22 11:21 AM
Yamaha P-125 String Resonance
by Petzold - 07/06/22 09:50 AM
Piano saver system? does everyone use this?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/06/22 09:00 AM
Future-proof-ness of a silent acoustic grand
by Falsch - 07/06/22 08:03 AM
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,828
Posts3,205,844
Members105,735
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission