2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
43 members (CyberGene, 3x4rt, Dazzie2, Greta99, 36251, EVC2017, BachToTheFuture, donpi, iliverez, 8 invisible), 386 guests, and 387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Played Knabe grand recently?
#279665 01/22/03 03:07 AM
W
wave Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Fellows,

My initail search gets me interested in a Samll new Knabe GM53 (5'3"). It sounds okay to me, but have no basis to make a sound judgement. I searched the board and odd enough, did not find many specific comments on the Samic Knabe.

Can anyone who has personal experience with this piano offer some advice particularly in regard to

(1) How is it compare to other piano of similiar size such as Yamaha GC1 (5'3") or C1 (5'3" too), and Kawai GE30 (5'5")? Any other similar pianos in the same category ?

(2) What would be a fair price for a Knabe GM53 or 57.

Finally I did read the generic comment on Knabe that it is an enhanced junk. I would truely appreciate to receive some more specific comment since Knabe is on my short list. If comment is not suitable for this board please kindly email me directly xfyang@msn.com

Many thanks

Wave

know little but willing to learn
Re: Played Knabe grand recently?
#279666 01/22/03 11:35 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have not played them, but folks I trust are carrying the line. They say they are very similar to the K&C Millenium line, and the old Samick World series.

If that's the case, I would compare the pianos directly against the C series Yamaha, not the GC1.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
#279667 01/22/03 01:11 PM
W
wave Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Jolly,

I have read many of your postings and learned a lot from them. I truly appreciate you and this board. I would like to exploit you a bit more if you allow smile

(1) Can you kindly tell me the relationship between the new Knabe and the K&C Millenium line? Is Knabe just a new name for the Millenium or is actually different in scale design and parts (such as the Renner action and hammer and the Italian spruce board as the sale person like to emphasize??)

(2) Do you mean that Knabe and K&C Millenium are one category higher than Yamaha GC1? (since C1 is more expensive than GC1)?

Thank you in advance.

Wave

#279668 01/22/03 02:27 PM
For reasons debatable, solid spruce soundboards are generally more desired than the laminated variety. Samick decided in its' World series, and in the K&C Millenium series to use solid rather than the laminated boards they had previously used. The grands also recieved Renner actions. When you hear us talk about the "enhanced" Koreans, generally what is being referred to are these pianos, and the JP series Young Chang.

Samick acquired the Wm. Knabe name from Pianodisc, the previous owner. You may still run across a Knabe, or Wm. Knabe from Pianodisc - these are YC pianos. All of the new pianos, however, are from Samick. Samick also manufactures the K&C Millenium, so be it K&C, or Knabe, it's still Samick.

The question I have about the pianos is scale design. Some people had said they would follow the old Knabe scale designs, but the people I have talked to say they seem to be more similar to the World series.

The reason I said to compare the piano against the C series, is that it is readily agreed that the Koreans have been steadily improving over the years, and that the current crop of enhanced pianos are much more competitive in terms of features and build quality to Yamaha's and Kawai's mainline pianos. The GC1, while an improvement over its' predecessor the GH1B, would compete more favorably with the unenhanced Koreans, IMO.

The bottom line to all of this is how well you like the piano. Don't get too caught up in sales spin, just find a piano within your budget that meets your comfort level in quality, touch, and tone.

#279669 01/22/03 03:42 PM
W
wave Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Jolly,

Thank you very much. It appears that the new Knabe is a bit mysterious.

I actually like the Knabe, but I will try to compare it against C1 and also other K&C Millenium. I have got the bug of test playing new piano now.

Wave

#279670 01/22/03 04:19 PM
You piqued my curiosity, so I dug a bit further. I did find this posting on the Pianotech archives 1/7/03, by Roger Jolly (no relation I know of), a well known Canadian tech:

...Knabe grands have a laminated maple rim, Renner action, Italian Ciressa soundboard, Canadian Bolduc pinblock, Renner blue hammers. Mapes bass strings. They are regulated and voiced in California. I'm currently working on changing some of the action ratios to further improved performance. Dip is currently at 11.2mm and is being changed to 10mm.

Very positive response from pianist thus far. Detailing is the best that I have seen from Korea thus far and will get better. 6'4" is reverse engineered from late 20's scale. Will be introduced at NAMM...

Makes the pianos sound very interesting, especially that new 6'4". Anyone have the opportunity to test drive this one at NAMM?
I should point out a couple of things - Mr. Jolly is listed as a tech consultant to Samick, and any spelling errors above are mine, not his. smile

#279671 01/22/03 05:55 PM
Anyone had the chance to test drive this one [6'3 Knabe] at NAMM?

I did.

But as a competitor I shall not comment.

However,it ties into our discussion in another thread about 'vastly better pianos now being built in the orient'.

They definitely are.

What they don't replace or accomplish,however, is what Alex has called earlier an 'orchestral' experience only a truly soulful piano can transmit to that special pianist.

Which is perhaps - or NOT [!] -.....YOU ?? :rolleyes:

And simply adding up 'PARTS & COMPONENTS' that go into any one [kit?] piano......

....doesn't get you there quite yet!

And in my opinion.... NEVER WILL !!

norbert

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
#279672 01/22/03 08:52 PM
W
wave Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Jolly,

Can you tell me the URL to the PianoTeach forum, or better yet the URL of the message on Pianotech archives 1/7/03?

Thanks

#279673 01/22/03 09:41 PM
Just go to www.ptg.org , and you should see a link to the pianotech archives. You can search to your heart's content.

The reading is often fascinating, and lots of times way over my head. Enjoyable, none the less.

#279674 09/02/06 03:56 PM
B
B
Anyone else with any information on the Knabe 6' 4"? I am considering one because of my budget. What kind of prices has anyone come across? What about quality? If read in these posts a lot about Asian brand and the implied tone is that the craftsmanship is poorer than European (including Eastern Block?). If so, why is that? Surely the Asians are known for their artistry as well as craftsmanship. Given equivalent parts for a "kit" are we saying they would not be able to put them together as well as or better than the Europeans?

HELP!!!

thanks

#279675 09/02/06 04:44 PM
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
SCCdoug owns one. If he doesn't see this thread, you may want to PM him.

The 6'4" model uses the original Knabe scale design, but with an added duplex. The duplex will become part of the tone at louder volume levels. If you don't like the result, you can have the duplex segment muted.

SCCdoug has been thru this with his. I think that he's decided to accept it.

#279676 09/02/06 06:55 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by bodyfat2:
Anyone else with any information on the Knabe 6' 4"? I am considering one because of my budget. What kind of prices has anyone come across? What about quality? If read in these posts a lot about Asian brand and the implied tone is that the craftsmanship is poorer than European (including Eastern Block?). If so, why is that? Surely the Asians are known for their artistry as well as craftsmanship. Given equivalent parts for a "kit" are we saying they would not be able to put them together as well as or better than the Europeans?

HELP!!!

thanks
They are very nice pianos made by Samick. They sound and play nicely. You should also check out the Sohmer piano by SMC which is a little less expensive and has a more traditional "american" sound than the Knabe.

Glenn Treibitz

Hollywood Piano Co. - Est.1928
http://www.hollywoodpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodPiano

1800 MY-PIANO

Steingraeber,Grotrian,Mason&Hamlin,Petrof,Estonia,Steinberg,Schulze-Pollmann,Baldwin,
Ritmuller,Perzina,Pearl River,Hardman,Roland,Used Steinway
#279677 09/02/06 08:38 PM
J
J
Knabe Pianos are handmade pianos, they are made in Samicks Korean factory now. They only make about 3,000 per year. They are better than the samick pianos being as they are made with better materials etc. Some to most of the grands now have renner actions. Also, Knabe is going throught several changes right now to further improve the product. I recently played a 6'1" And found to be very powerful. I played a Knabe and a yam side by side and heavily preferred the knabe. Just my 2 cents

Jody C Towles
#279678 09/03/06 09:29 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
SCCdoug owns one. If he doesn't see this thread, you may want to PM him
I've been away the past week moving my daughter into university (music) 2500 miles away (sniff).

We actually own the WKG61, which is no longer manufacturered by Samick. Only the 5'8" and 6'4" are Baltimore scale designs, although they are not exact replicas - they have more aggresive duplex scaling. I would characterize the 6'1" as more European - the 6'4" is more American. I have played them side by side. We are very happy with our piano.

The tech referred to earlier (Roger Jolly) who consults with Samick and was responsible for the Baltimore scale re-design, is the owner of the store (Yamaha House) in our city from whom we bought the piano. We feel very fortunate to have Mr. Jolly available to us. He has consulted for a number of piano manufacturers, held public lectures at our local university and provided us with many useful insights into the business.

The manufacturers we focused on, because of availability, were Yamaha, Petrof, Kawaii, K&C and Knabe. We felt the Knabe's were significantly more to our liking in many respects.

Doug
#279679 09/05/06 10:48 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The new Knabe WKG64 6'4" grand sounds remarkably American. Not like any Asian piano you will ever play. Warm, round, woody, mellow. Great German Renner action. Rim made from alternating layers of maple and oak. Tremendous value for around $20k!
Samick's facility in Inchon, South Korea has been retooled to manufacture the limited edition Knabes. Most of the lesser SMC pianos production has been moved to Indonesia.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia L225 loses tune very quickly
by M_albert - 10/20/20 01:49 AM
Piano Safari Christmas collection
by ebonykawai - 10/19/20 08:59 PM
Another "beginner" piece w/twist
by MilesAbbott - 10/19/20 08:58 PM
Sostenuto Pedal....in an upright?
by Duaner - 10/19/20 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,315
Posts3,015,360
Members98,949
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission