2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2775964 10/27/18 06:43 PM
Duaner Offline OP
OP Offline
When I run into Hammers that strike more than once I usually can fix it easily by adjusting the capstan.....but, sometimes this will not suffice so then the dance begins by adjusting this and that. You know what I mean.

In your experience what would you adjust next if raising or lowering the capstan is just not the answer.

I realize there are various methods to employ and I suppose it depends on what is happening with the action overall but what would you try next if the capstan wasn't enough. The next best thing.

As you can see I'm trying to move quickly but efficiently through a tuning. tks, Duane.

Duane Graves

"Pushin 72...still haven fun I think..."
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Complete regulation. If that does not work, then you need to start replacing parts.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Gerald,

Please identify the piano type, brand, and age. These things make an awfully big difference.

Generally, regulation is needed as BDB said.

Don Mannino RPT, MPA
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Is the bobbling all across the compass or limited to a certain range?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Check and set the let-off distance and that the back checks catch the hammer(s) at the correct distances. All the above presumes that you understand how the action works ! If you do not there are a couple of very good videos on the internet.

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Regulating isn't a dance - Check this out:

http://spurlocktools.com/index_htm_files/vreg.pdf

Duaner Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Is the bobbling all across the compass or limited to a certain range?

It is sporadic but may run for several hammers in a row then taper down to a few and one here and there. It is on a grand piano NOT a vertical. It's a 25 (at least) year old Yamaha mini grand. It's in a piano that I have been tuning in a large hotel. I have very little time to work on it when I go there for instance the other day I took the fall board off and without removing the key bed I reach in and adjusted some a couple of capstans but that was not helping so adjusted them back, put the fall board back on and left as I had already just tuned it.

Duane Graves

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
If the piano gets played very hard, it may be that the backcheck "leather" is worn or chewed up by the hammer. This can cause inability to check. Also, look at the repetition spring strength. If it is too strong (for the current overall situation) reducing that strength may help. Of course, try adjusting the back check (but not so close that it drags on the hammer).

Just a few things. Doubtlessly other possibilities too.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Make sure aftertouch is correct, and as P W Grey said, make sure the rep spring isn’t too strong. Make sure that the hammer goes into check fine.

Lucas Brookins, RPT
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Well Duane, what's the prognosis at this point? Any new report?

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
Duaner Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted by P W Grey
Well Duane, what's the prognosis at this point? Any new report?

Pwg

Nothing to report Peter. I need to set up a visit to the hotel. Probably will ask for extra time when they call again to try to clean this double striking up. I will say this, though. I am now armed with real good advice which gives me more confidence.

One thing I know is that one cannot approach piano tuning and repair with "gall" alone. You need to have experience and knowledge (and a plan) to do it properly. I've only been at this for six years and have tuned about 500 pianos and fixed at least half of that amount I suppose.

I agree that's really not many compared to most of you but you would not believe what I have learned by way of appropriating what has been said here and by way of continued study and application.....and, as I see it, I haven't even put a dent in the bucket really in that nearly every piano brings new challenges....and so it goes on. It is an interesting line of work for sure.

Happy New Year to you all......Duane.

Duane Graves

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
👍 We're all still learning too!

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Jeez, guys...

I think it best to think about general concepts first, rather than looking for individual adjustments, or even all the possible adjustments (complete regulation). Otherwise you might not "see fthe forest for the trees." Like, WHY would a hammer bobble? Because after hitting the string, it comes back and rather being caught it hits something causing it to rebound to the string. So either what is supposed to catch it (the back check) wasn't in position or condition to do so; or what is supposed to get out of the way after propelling the hammer (the jack and in the case of a grand the rep lever) didn't get out of the way.

Keep in mind HOW it works, divide the problem into either a checking or a let off problem, and track it from there.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Jeff,

Very good points made. Proper cure requires an accurate diagnosis.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
Duaner Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
Jeez, guys...

I think it best to think about general concepts first, rather than looking for individual adjustments, or even all the possible adjustments (complete regulation). Otherwise you might not "see fthe forest for the trees." Like, WHY would a hammer bobble? Because after hitting the string, it comes back and rather being caught it hits something causing it to rebound to the string. So either what is supposed to catch it (the back check) wasn't in position or condition to do so; or what is supposed to get out of the way after propelling the hammer (the jack and in the case of a grand the rep lever) didn't get out of the way.

Keep in mind HOW it works, divide the problem into either a checking or a let off problem, and track it from there.

.....very good....tks

Duane Graves

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Key dip is too shallow. The quick fix on an upright is to shim the balance rail. Usually you can see the sag in key height and the key has too much lift before contacting the fall board felt. Key beds warp as well as sag in the center. Felts compact equally for the most part.
Find the screws holding the balance rail. Usually there are other shims because that's how they set the balance rail originally. Loosen the screws and pry up the rail. Slide someone else's business card under it to shim the keys to the height you decided on. I like 1/4 inch of pin in the key. Yes, you set your key height by the amount of pin in the key and the height of the fallboard.
However, unless you want to set key dip, you take that into consideration when deciding how much pin is in the key.
Much of the time, if the piano hasn't been messed with, the back checks return to proper regulation too.

Keith Roberts
Keith's Piano Service
Hathaway Pines,Ca

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission