Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
85 registered members (Arty Movie, atamgp, ando, Anthony Rose, Barly, Andymania, AndrewJCW, 18 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MP11se Setup and Poweron Storage #2795508
12/26/18 05:28 PM
12/26/18 05:28 PM
Istanbul
I
IosPlayer Offline OP
IosPlayer  Offline OP
I

Istanbul
Well, I am finally moving off of just playing and recording the great onboard pianos (with some EQ and reverb adjustment) and excellent basses.

Now I am exploring the "Store" function. Having some difficulty storing virtual tech parameters for the Poweron setting. Trying to store the SK with no reverb, or adjusted reverb for example, but the board does not remember the setting when switched on. What am I doing wrong?

Secondly, when storing a setup, the stored sound is not nearly as bright as the original sound I am trying to store. PAgain, what am I doing wrong?

And finally, does the "sound" storage delete preexisting board patches? There are 40 "sound" slots... are these the 40 onboard sounds or just empty slots?

Thanks for your help!

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070
1915 Steinway B, Kawai MP11se, Casio AT5
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: MP11se Setup and Poweron Storage [Re: IosPlayer] #2795743
12/27/18 12:30 PM
12/27/18 12:30 PM
Istanbul
I
IosPlayer Offline OP
IosPlayer  Offline OP
I

Istanbul
Hmmm, 60 reads and no help. With so many devoted MP users there must be some answers out there! Doesn't anyone store setups out there?

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
Re: MP11se Setup and Poweron Storage [Re: IosPlayer] #2795788
12/27/18 01:55 PM
12/27/18 01:55 PM
Punta Alta, Buenos Aires, Arge...
M
Marcos Daniel Offline
Marcos Daniel  Offline
M

Punta Alta, Buenos Aires, Arge...
I own a MP11 (the older one without SE) and I believe that once I tried and could not save the brillance setting (EQ, sound and other settings were saved). I play with Pianoteq most of the time...

EDIT: only tried power on default storage, not the sounds bank. Anyway don't worry, in any moment James will appear!

Last edited by Marcos Daniel; 12/27/18 01:57 PM.

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
Re: MP11se Setup and Poweron Storage [Re: IosPlayer] #2795799
12/27/18 02:28 PM
12/27/18 02:28 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
I just tried saving the Poweron option as well (no reverb, Brilliance +5, and Heavy touch), and it went back to what it was before after shutting off and turning back on again.

Then I changed the sound again and saved the Sound first. Then I saved the Poweron. That did the trick!

As for the Setups, I think they are placeholders, although you may like them. I overwrote one of them for a setting that suits my headphones when I play with them.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: MP11se Setup and Poweron Storage [Re: Morodiene] #2795833
12/27/18 03:41 PM
12/27/18 03:41 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I just tried saving the Poweron option as well (no reverb, Brilliance +5, and Heavy touch), and it went back to what it was before after shutting off and turning back on again.

Then I changed the sound again and saved the Sound first. Then I saved the Poweron. That did the trick!

As for the Setups, I think they are placeholders, although you may like them. I overwrote one of them for a setting that suits my headphones when I play with them.

Now my antenna are going up. LOL ….

You "overwrote" a setup that came with the MP11SE ?

That differs substantially from standard protocol.

It would be interesting to press the "RESET TO FACTORY SETTINGS" button and see if it comes back.

Of course, you may not wish to do that just for "curiosity" sake but I might try that immediately when I get mine.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: MP11se Setup and Poweron Storage [Re: IosPlayer] #2795851
12/27/18 04:25 PM
12/27/18 04:25 PM
Istanbul
I
IosPlayer Offline OP
IosPlayer  Offline OP
I

Istanbul
Don, you can overwrite, but there are plenty of empty user slots starting in bank M.

Morodiene, the "sound" saves confuse me. Are you replacing a Preset with a new "sound" save or is it a blank user slot? But that does sound like the answer. There are forty sound slots, I believe, but are they blank?

Re: MP11se Setup and Poweron Storage [Re: IosPlayer] #2795867
12/27/18 05:01 PM
12/27/18 05:01 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by IosPlayer
Don, you can overwrite, but there are plenty of empty user slots starting in bank M.

Morodiene, the "sound" saves confuse me. Are you replacing a Preset with a new "sound" save or is it a blank user slot? But that does sound like the answer. There are forty sound slots, I believe, but are they blank?

Just to note, I'm on an MP11 and not MP11se, so I'm not sure what has changed as far as the onboard parameters.

When you make changes to a sound, and then hit Store, and then Sound, it tells you that the current sound will replace the current Preset. So that means if you edit Concert Grand 1 and save the sound, that will be the sound the piano recalls each time you select Concert Grand 1. Since Concert Grand 1 is the default Poweron sound, I believe, that is the sound that is recalled when turning it back on again. So if I wanted an EP to be the Poweron sound, then I'd save the sound if I edited it, and then do the Poweron function so it's the first thing that comes up.

As to where it is stored, if you go into Utilites/Reset, you can recall One Sound, All Sounds, One Setup, All Setups, Poweron, or do a Factory Reset.

Don: You can overwrite the Sound, but I don't think there's anything permanent that you can do to ruin a sound (see above).

What I was referring with the "overwrite" part is the Setup sounds. These are piano & strings, piano & bass, etc. I have not used these Setups in the several years I've owned the MP11, so I did overwrite a couple of them. Sure, I could have selected another empty slot instead, but these are easily accessible in bank A, so I used them. I could do a Reset, but so far I don't miss them smile .

[Linked Image]
Re: MP11se Setup and Poweron Storage [Re: IosPlayer] #2795884
12/27/18 06:32 PM
12/27/18 06:32 PM
Istanbul
I
IosPlayer Offline OP
IosPlayer  Offline OP
I

Istanbul
Thanks Morodiene, so you lose the original Preset ( the EX for example) well, that really seems absurd and the first negative I have about the board. Who would want to lose any of the forty presets... though the mono grand and upright could go. Still, it seems empty sound slots could have been provided without much problem,. Sorry, Kawai, you just went from 10 to 9.9! If I were a performer it would really irk me. James, can you redeem our beloved MP!?

Re: MP11se Setup and Poweron Storage [Re: IosPlayer] #2795906
12/27/18 07:47 PM
12/27/18 07:47 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by IosPlayer
Thanks Morodiene, so you lose the original Preset ( the EX for example) well, that really seems absurd and the first negative I have about the board. Who would want to lose any of the forty presets... though the mono grand and upright could go. Still, it seems empty sound slots could have been provided without much problem,. Sorry, Kawai, you just went from 10 to 9.9! If I were a performer it would really irk me. James, can you redeem our beloved MP!?

Well, don't judge it based on my experience. I'm just hacking my way through this anyways (who needs a manual?). But no doubt you can save any number of sounds with out affecting the presets, I just chose not to bother.

[Linked Image]
Re: MP11se Setup and Poweron Storage [Re: IosPlayer] #2799595
01/08/19 04:22 AM
01/08/19 04:22 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Kawai James  Offline

Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello folks, happy new year!

My apologies for this delayed reply - I've been out of the country for a little while, and away from the forum.

Regarding IosPlayer's initial query, Morodiene's explanation is spot on.

Just to clarify, the POWERON memory (x1) is used to select the preferred state (on/off, selected sound) for each sound section. However, the POWERON memory does not actually store the individual settings of those sounds. So if you select Concert #2, change the settings, then store to POWERON memory, and turn the instrument off/on, Concert #2 will be selected automatically, however the various settings will be lost.*

In order to actually make changes to a sound and have them recalled, you will need to store the settings to that SOUND memory, then use the POWERON memory to ensure that the currently selected sound will be automatically recalled when next turned on.

The Reverb setting is a little more complicated, as this is a [C]ommon setting, meaning that the Reverb type, PreDelay, and Time settings will be shared for all three sound sections. Therefore, those Reverb settings cannot be stored to an individual SOUND memory, but must be stored using a SETUP memory. The only exception is the Reverb depth setting, which can be set independently for each section.

Regarding Brightness, I assume that IosPlayer is adjusting the Brightness parameter, but not storing the adjusted setting to that SOUND's memory.

Finally, yes, when storing adjusted sounds will overwrite the factory defaults. However, these can be individually Reset, as noted by Morodienne above. Alternatively, sounds can be stored to one of the 200+ SETUP memories.

I hope this is clear. If not, please first take a look at the owner's manual for more information, and then return here if you're still unsure.

Kind regards,
James
x

EDIT:

* POWERON memory also stores [C]ommon parameters, so the current Reverb configuration should also be stored and recalled.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Terrific Pianist!
by camperbc. 10/19/19 07:39 AM
how to be a good pianist?
by dann54. 10/19/19 06:56 AM
Kawai MP11SE and Speakers
by Anthony Rose. 10/19/19 06:36 AM
Igor Levit Beethoven Cycle now posted on YouTube
by BeeZee4. 10/19/19 03:13 AM
Dave Frank Concert in Budapest 10/3/19
by Dfrankjazz. 10/19/19 01:57 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,604
Posts2,880,854
Members94,709
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission