Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
70 registered members (Animisha, Andrew_G, Alex C, AZNpiano, Anticlock, agraffe, alexk3954, atcsam, basebase, ando, 13 invisible), 710 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: New Korg D1 stage piano [Re: clothearednincompo] #2768790
10/01/18 12:28 PM
10/01/18 12:28 PM
Europe
M
mcoll Offline
500 Post Club Member
mcoll  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Europe
I recently tried (very briefly) the Korg Grandstage, which has the same RH3 action as the D1, and I have to say the action felt completely satisfactorily, definitely above the Yamaha GHS, Kawai RH-C and Roland PHA4-Standard.
If I'd want a low-cost controller to use with VSTs, this would definitely be a top contender.
I have to underline though that I tried it on the fly, only checked the feel and that was that. If I would be on the market for something like this, I'd spend sufficient time with all the models under consideration, preferably hooked up to a laptop and VSTs, to really see how they feel and with which action I'm the happiest.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: New Korg D1 stage piano [Re: mcoll] #2769223
10/03/18 06:32 AM
10/03/18 06:32 AM
UK
jamiecw Offline
jamiecw  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by mcoll
I recently tried (very briefly) the Korg Grandstage.... definitely above the Yamaha GHS, Kawai RH-C and Roland PHA4-Standard.

Hmm..above the GHS definitely but I am not sure I would personally go as far to say the same about the PHA4 (I use to own the FP30 and thought it was a fine action). I tried the Korg D1 the other day and whilst I thought it was good it still lacks triple sensor, escapement which the PHA4 has.

If anyone was considering, the similarly priced, D1 or FP30 I would think they'd have a tough choice to make if the action was high up their list...

Last edited by jamiecw; 10/03/18 06:33 AM.
Re: New Korg D1 stage piano [Re: clothearednincompo] #2769231
10/03/18 07:05 AM
10/03/18 07:05 AM
S
Snail Offline
Snail  Offline
S

I like very much korg rh3 action. Lovely smooth feeling to my taste. And quiet. Comparing with casio standar action is much smooth and quiet. I prefer it also over kawai es110. Too light and hollow to me. I would put rh3 on par with yamaha gh3. Korg feel more sophisticated and yamaha more solid. I have never tried roland.

Re: New Korg D1 stage piano [Re: clothearednincompo] #2769339
10/03/18 01:52 PM
10/03/18 01:52 PM
Europe
M
mcoll Offline
500 Post Club Member
mcoll  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Europe
Yes, not having the triple sensor is a downside in my opinion as well (but probably one I'd accept if the feeling itself is significantly better). I'm not sure the escapement, the way it's implemented in DPs currently, is such a loss. And the keys are significantly longer which makes for a nicer playing experience. They felt nice and solid and weren't noisy. That's why I'm thinking it's better.
And I also like the PHA4-standard in the FP30 - that's definitely my preferred action in that price range, or was until the D1. But as I was saying, if I was buying in that budget, I'd thoroughly test them connected to a notebook running my preferred VST.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: New Korg D1 stage piano [Re: clothearednincompo] #2794989
12/24/18 08:58 PM
12/24/18 08:58 PM
T
Tjong Offline
Tjong  Offline
T

I just got the D1.

Have been playing on a Roland RP-301 in the living room for the past 6 years. It has the Ivory Feel G keybed. I was looking for a 88 key library controller for my homestudio with a budget of about 600 euros.
I tested the Studiologic SL88 Studio, the Korg D1 and the Roland FP-30 comparing the key action in the same session. The studio logic which uses a TP100LR Fatar keybed had a really stiff action, the FP-30 really light (quite some lighter than the Ivory Feel G in my RP-301). The D1 sits in between the two being medium heavy.

From the 3 key actions I liked the D1 the most. It's also quite a step up from my RP-301 allowing for faster/easier less sluggish play. The sound of grand 1 is quite ok but I'm going to use it mainly as a controller for Kontakt Piano libraries. It has no triple sensor which the other two models have, but I was able to do note repetitions faster on the Korg,

Only downside to me is no USB or Bluetooth midi (DIN midi works fine though).

Design wise I liked the SL88 Studio the most, but the action was to stiff to my liking.

Re: New Korg D1 stage piano [Re: clothearednincompo] #2795668
12/27/18 07:23 AM
12/27/18 07:23 AM
T
Tjong Offline
Tjong  Offline
T

Update. After testing the D1 with two of my favorite piano libraries, an unacceptable issue came to the surface.

De velocity curve is off in this piano. It has 5 settings: setting two and three are the most hard settings. Even on those settings the minimum velocity I could get out of it was about 15 while in my Roland RP301 it is like 2 or 3 consistent in PP play.
This problem won't be that noticeable on its onboard sounds as there are not that much velocity layers.

The Bechstein C Digital Grand library has a realtime velocity histogram which showed clearly that it is virtually impossible to play PP while on the RP-301 and the SL88 this is possible without too much effort.

So if you want to buy this board to control high quality multi velocity layer piano libraries beware of the fact that playing pianissimo pieces will be very very difficult even on Touch level 3.

As a gigging device on PA system with Epiano sounds or pop piano, the D1 will be a awesome key action stage piano because the mechanics feel great.

I traded it for the SL88 Studio and this board has a really good velocity response out of the box (even better than the RP-301). The key action is stiffer but I will get used to that.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Request for recommendations
by Megiddo. 03/21/19 02:05 AM
Today's Google Doodle Creates Bach Harmonies
by jazzyprof. 03/21/19 01:26 AM
Kawai GL10 confirmation bias
by Emery Wang. 03/21/19 12:21 AM
Any kawai GX, SK owners?
by kokatla. 03/20/19 10:22 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,012
Posts2,808,761
Members92,831
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission