2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
G
Originally Posted by GoldmanT
Learn 12 Debussy preludes, and the 3rd movement of Bartok's 1st piano concerto at whatever tempo I can manage it, plus a mix and match of simpler stuff to take me up to 40 pieces for the year.

I've been listening to the Bartok for about 25 years so it's pretty much ingrained in me, and I've read through the sheet music a lot so I know what I'm up against. I think I'm going to find it easier than some Rachmaninov/Chopin out there though, just because of the way my musical mind works.

And the Debussy preludes I've never ever listened to, so it's going to be an exercise in interpreting sheet music, so looking forward to that a lot. smile

So 7 Debussy preludes, which is pretty good, and helped my reading and interpretation a lot; bits of the Bartok which was hard work and kind of unrewarding because there was no sense of achieving anything, like making bricks but never building anything coherent with them; and maybe 25 pieces of the 40 - I stalled on this in the summer, having a toddler really limited focused practice.

I improvised a lot though, studied some jazz theory and will be focusing on composition next year, so maybe I'll end up writing 40 pieces instead. smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thank God I didn't make a resolution last year, so I can't be embarrassed this year! My resolution for next year is not to make a resolution!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Personally, I like resolutions and I think I need them, but I keep adjusting my schedule and goals throughout the year according to progress and pieces. I didn't match many of my resolutions, but all in all, 2018 has been a good year!

1. Practice 90 minutes a day on average. No, I only clocked 82 minutes per day, which brings me to almost 500 hours - still better than ever before!
2. Learn at least: 1 Bach Invention OK, no. 2 & 1 Sinfonia No, but I learnt the Goldberg Aria smile, 1 Chopin Prelude I spent a lot of time on No. 15, but it's not finished! It was a bit too much. & 1 Waltz/Mazurka OK, Waltz in A minor, 2 Scenes from Childhood by Schumann OK, no. 6 & 12, 1 movement of a Beethoven sonata Here too, I worked a lot on Op. 49 no. 1 - 1st movement, but I'll have to try again in 2019.
3. Practice scales/technique twice a week (2 x 30 minutes). 23 hours total, so just 30 minutes a week. I think it's enough, to be honest.
4. Practice sight-reading twice a week (2 x 30 minutes; incl. pop/folk). I clocked 46 hours, so almost 1 hour a week.
5. Practice ear training once a week (30 minutes). I dropped this pretty soon, even if I know it's useful, because I'd rather play and practice at the piano.
6. Recording session once a week (30 minutes). More like twice a month... but I kept at it.
7. Maintain a small performance-ready repertoire (about 30 minutes) OK and find chances to play in front of people. I took part in some Zoom meetings, and I played duets regularly.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cmb13
Okay, I'll play smile

- Consolidate my current repertoire so I can play all the piece I learned this year at any time without having to relearn them.
- Maintain a repertoire of 30 minutes (seems to be a popular number here)
- Memorize some of the above
- Learn a new piece every month; or at least begin something new every month
- Take on the minor scales (having completed major scales)
- Take on the chromatic scales (shouldn't be too hard)
- Learn some pop/rock that my wife will enjoy (we're both products of the 70's and 80's)
- Improve chord progressions in all keys / include ability to play IV-V-I, and iii-vi-ii-V-I in several keys
- Improve sight reading with a method/book/series

I don't think I can tackle all of these in one year while continuing to work, but if I can make an impact on some, I'll really be making progress!

Well, I was right, I could not do all of this!

I have been working on maintaining a repertoire, and have memorized about 4 or 5 nice pieces. I have learned 10/12 minor scales in all forms (only Bb and Eb remain now), but have not worked much on sight reading or on my chord progression / cadence project. It's been a good year of progress, but this is an instrument that takes years of dedication to learn! Getting there though. smile

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
C
C
Originally Posted by Chili_Time
1. MOYD - carry that digital with me on vacation.
2. Learn to play with my left hand a little better out of my easy fake book.
3. Average 1 hour a day playing. So far that's been my pace so goal is to keep it up.
4. Finish Faber book 1 by March and then finish 2 by year end? IDK if that is realistic but may as well have it as a goal.
and....
5. join the music team at church [ playing electric bass not piano ;-) ]

Well I almost got the the first 4 done. laugh . My teacher needs to sign off the end of Faber book 2 next semester but I should be done by Jan 31.

I have a massive case of stage fright regarding #5. Maybe this year.

Last edited by Chili_Time; 12/27/18 08:45 AM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now working on Faber Piano Adventures 3B Lesson, T&A, Performance, Theory and Faber FunTime Ragtime & Marches. Kawai MP11SE. My Sound Cloud Piano recordings
[Linked Image]
P
P
I guess mine are pretty simple:

1. Become more proficient at reading music, and less tempted to just memorize where my hands are. I still struggle with reading--I still don't have a grasp on looking at the staff and instantly saying :"that's a B"....and ledger lines just throw me for a loop. Will get better with practice for sure.

2. Try more classical pieces. I've done an Etude and a Prelude from Chopin (probably very simple for lots of folks here), and I really enjoy them.

3. Listen to more classical music in general.

4. Record myself more.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
pathguy you'll have to repost this as this is a f/u of last years list!!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cefinow
1. Look into starting wth another classical teacher. [...]
2. Continue with jazz lessons, which I started in November of this year (2017). Fun and mind-boggling all at once!
3. Get into certain repertoire that doesn't get covered in lessons, and hence gets neglected. Chopin nocturnes, Bach (anything), some Rachmaninoff preludes.
4. Sight reading. Moving out of "skill acquisition", and into just plain sight reading of lots of new stuff! I'm pleased with the progress I made in 2016.... kinda coasted through Sight Reading 2017.
5. Eat better for supper every day… No joke, it's no fun fighting off overwhelming sleepiness during my evening piano practice, because I had a bit too much rice, potatoes, bread, pasta, whatever. [...]

Happy New Year & May we all reach our goals that have been set realistically and well before the champagne starts flowing!

5 out of 5 for me! Although #1 is still in the "looking into" stage… In the meantime, my regular classical teacher has definitely retired.

Oddly enough, I posted a supplemental list of 2018 goals on the Pianist Corner thread… And I'm 0 out of 8 for that one. I guess the lesson for me is, don't bother with a B-list of goals ;-)

P
P
Originally Posted by cmb13
pathguy you'll have to repost this as this is a f/u of last years list!!

HAHA! I just saw the year: Oopsie! blush

W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Sam S
Thank God I didn't make a resolution last year, so I can't be embarrassed this year! My resolution for next year is not to make a resolution!

DOES NOT COMPUTE! DOES NOT COMPUTE! Krrrsshtkk! Krrrrrsskjktt! Swheeeeeeeeeep! Boing!

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission