2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Example ~ Chopin prelude 8
1. measure 1 "first checkpoint"
2. measure 2
3. measures 1,2
4. measure 3
5. measures 2,3
6. measure 4
7. measures 3,4
8. section 1 {measures 1-4}
9. measure 5
10. measure 6
11. measures 5,6
12. measure 7
13. measures 6,7
14. measure 8
15. measures 7,8
16. section 2 {measures 5-8}
17. sections 1,2 {measures 1-8}
18. measure 9
19. measure 10
20. measures 9,10
21. measure 11
22. measures 10,11
23. measure 12
24. measures 11,12
25. section 3 {measures 9-12}
26. sections 2,3 {measures 5-12}
27. ...and so on till the end.
As you can see, I am either working on 1 measure, 2 measures, 1 section, or 2 sections.
If at the end of a practice session I can play the checkpoint (from memory/at tempo/accurately/with relative ease/decent quality) , then I move on to the next checkpoint in the next session otherwise I will try again the next day.

This is how I learned Chopin prelude 8 in under a month (one daily (10-30 minutes) session)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkh...;list=PLnrd13DbIJexll0SCZqVIHk6kF7B0_pMh

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I don't understand this "method." When, as a first example, measures two and five are repetitions of measure 1, why work on measures two and five as separate "check points"? There are other repetitions throughout this work that shouldn't require re-working, or is there something about your "method" that I have not understood?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
J
OP Offline
J
Of course, if the measure or section is a repeat then I skip it though it doesn't hurt to check it.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Repeating measures and moving forward when a measure is safe is a common learning technique.

I congratulate you for learning this piece without having a teacher by yourself.

Now that you have learned the piece I would be glad to hear you playing on a well tuned piano with phrasing and nuances added.

For example like in this performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pYeulVTEzU

Thank you for sharing your method and performance.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Thank you for posting this, I find it very interesting to see how other people learn.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
J
OP Offline
J
Any idea how much time/effort she put in?
I know having a teacher would save a lot of time but what are the upper limits of how quickly this piece can be learned since there is still the problem of memorization and performance?
I put in what I thought was a significantly small amount of time/effort by working in that manner but are there even more efficient ways?

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by baudelairepianist
Any idea how much time/effort she put in?

How much did she like her own performance?

How much did the audience like her performance ?

How much would Chopin like her performance?

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
As for the effort it would take to play this piece, it depends.

An accomplished pianist with very good sight reading skills would learn it in an hour or so.

Remember Liszt could sight read Grieg Concerto .

J
OP Offline
J
1 hour to memorize and perform Chopin prelude 8!? That sounds a bit far-fetched but what exactly are they doing in that hour?

K
K
It's interesting to see how others work on a piece.

Just to note that concert pianists do not just play notes. They are analyzing, phasing, voicing, and polishing the pieces that they are learning. Many pianists read score and think about music even when they are not on the piano. One of my goal to get to next level is being able to analyze the structure of the music and understand it more.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
1 hour to memorize and perform Chopin prelude 8!? That sounds a bit far-fetched but what exactly are they doing in that hour?

I don't think that Hakki also implied "memorize and perform" when he said that an advanced pianist could "learn" this piece in an hour. Many pianists "learn" a piece in relatively short order and can play it at a very high level, reading from the score as they play. That doesn't mean that there isn't more work, polishing and refining to do.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by BruceD

I don't think that Hakki also implied "memorize and perform" when he said that an advanced pianist could "learn" this piece in an hour. Many pianists "learn" a piece in relatively short order and can play it at a very high level, reading from the score as they play. That doesn't mean that there isn't more work, polishing and refining to do.

Regards,

The other reason you may have found Hakki's statement somewhat incredulous may be explained by a comment you made elsewhere: "I never learned to read sheet music."

The ability to read music, and to read it well, is a great time-saver in learning.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Thank you Bruce. That was what I meant.

Bp it is much more efficient to learn a new piece by reading from the score. You can even start playing not so hard ones just by sight reading.
I suggest you to learn reading music in the first place.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

This seems to be an alternative to the "chunk" method -- each chunk consists of a phrase or two plus the next note. Those next notes provide an overlap that hooks the chunks together like the couplers on railroad cars.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
This type of approach is very effective. It avoids the problem of sections getting harder the further you get into them. I think everyone has pieces of which they can play the opening, but after a few bars it's just a big memory void.

Last edited by johnstaf; 12/27/18 02:59 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by johnstaf
This type of approach is very effective. It avoids the problem of sections getting harder the further you get into them. I think everyone has pieces of which they can play the opening, but after a few bars it's just a big memory void.

Yes; it's a question, first, of breaking a piece into sections (not necessarily measure by measure) and then, at each practice session, not start with the first section, but with a different one each time.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
M
Thank you for this. I work similarly, but I begin at the end. When I practice, I first play the piece through with the music — however rough it is — and then work step by step from the end. Then I play the whole piece through again. It is slow and steady progress, which, at time, with all of the repetition, can be a form of meditation.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I will usually read through it and then start at the part that is the most difficult for me. I will
Check with my teacher for his opinion . He recently suggested Chopin’s Nocturne in E flat Major, Opus 9 no 2. I looked at it and said that the last half of the last page looks the hardest . He said that the hardest part is in that section and are measures 30 and 31 so that is where we started.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by BruceD

Regards,

As usual, I agree totally with BruceD

As an example, I was struggling with a Chopin Nocturne (C minor, Op. Posthumous) and my teacher reassured me by saying "Well, I could sight-read the piece. And could memorize it in perhaps 2 hours" To which I started to exclaim "Holy crap - see, that is what I am complaining about - I have been working on this darn thing for 2 months!" At which point he said "You didn't let me finish. Yes, I could play it essentially from memory in a couple of hours. But, importantly, I would never perform the piece without a great deal more work. I would want to have maybe 25-30 hours work on it before I would feel comfortable performing it".

So I felt a little better. Not a lot, but a little. Haha

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission