2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
29 members (AlphaBravoCharlie, ECBetancor, Boboulus, ChrisGoesPiano, clothearednincompo, David B, Colin Miles, grd-dan, earlofmar, giu, 3 invisible), 389 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 69 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 68 69
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel?
GidgetKeys #2780720 11/13/18 07:01 PM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by GidgetKeys
Wow! Great space! Love your wall charts!

Thank you. My husband has made that for me, I always had problems with the ledgerlines. Now I look up and I know where to go. Especially that middle page underneath is a great help. I always searched for symetry in the notes reading and never found it until I came across this on the Internet. Treble C and G and Bass C and F are indeed Symetrisch placed on the lines. smile

Piano Marvel level 4B and everything I like smile
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Sarah65 #2792753 12/18/18 04:10 PM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Rider fast in Level 3 E is killing me, anyone have any tips or suggestions? Its the last one for level 3...I want it finished this year smile

Sarah65 #2792760 12/18/18 04:26 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sarah65
Rider fast in Level 3 E is killing me, anyone have any tips or suggestions? Its the last one for level 3...I want it finished this year smile

Good to see you are still plugging away at this! What are you having trouble with? The transition from measure 8 to 9?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2792932 12/19/18 04:52 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Good to see you are still plugging away at this! What are you having trouble with? The transition from measure 8 to 9?

More from 16 to 17, I miss always the low F to do the chords again. And my left hand has a will of its own :p

Sarah65 #2792979 12/19/18 10:04 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

More from 16 to 17, I miss always the low F to do the chords again. And my left hand has a will of its own :p

Oh, I remember this smile

Yes, I just highlighted in PM only measures 16 & 17 and just played only those two measures at various increasing tempos with LH only and hands together (HT), as well as with increasing tempos, and also by not looking at my hands. I think after doing only those two measures for about 30 mins, and not looking at my hands, my problem was solved when playing the entire thing at tempo. In my case, looking at my hands at the critical point of the transition cluttered my mind and made me miss on the first beat of 17 (I'd over- or undershoot). Not looking at my hands and using proprioception kept my mind clutter-free at full tempo. After I had these two bars wired, in expanding to the full piece, I then tried to get bars 15-18 wired, and bars 14-19, by expanding the highlighted measures in two discrete steps. After 14-19, I was able to do the entire piece.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2793431 12/20/18 01:40 PM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

Oh, I remember this smile

Yes, I just highlighted in PM only measures 16 & 17 and just played only those two measures at various increasing tempos with LH only and hands together (HT), as well as with increasing tempos, and also by not looking at my hands. I think after doing only those two measures for about 30 mins, and not looking at my hands, my problem was solved when playing the entire thing at tempo. In my case, looking at my hands at the critical point of the transition cluttered my mind and made me miss on the first beat of 17 (I'd over- or undershoot). Not looking at my hands and using proprioception kept my mind clutter-free at full tempo. After I had these two bars wired, in expanding to the full piece, I then tried to get bars 15-18 wired, and bars 14-19, by expanding the highlighted measures in two discrete steps. After 14-19, I was able to do the entire piece.

Many thanks, I recognize the problem now, normally I never look at my fingers, but at such a great displacement I do that automatically and then I am afraid of where my fingers are located, done with playing frown. I'm going to try your trick, I still have about 11 days, that should succeed. I also pasted a small piece of coloured tape on the low F, then I find it quicker again if I look at it again. Its hard....level 4A seems lighter. smile

Sarah65 #2793435 12/20/18 01:46 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Many thanks, I recognize the problem now, normally I never look at my fingers, but at such a great displacement I do that automatically and then I am afraid of where my fingers are located, done with playing frown. I'm going to try your trick, I still have about 11 days, that should succeed. I also pasted a small piece of coloured tape on the low F, then I find it quicker again if I look at it again. Its hard....level 4A seems lighter. smile

You should try it without looking at the tape. I missed a lot, but certainly after 30 mins, I was able to get it 90% of the time without looking away from the score/screen, just by training my proprioception "sense" for those 30 mins through sheer repetition. Not looking at all made it go so much smoother. Because I would miss alot during my "training" is also the reason I narrowed my practice window in PM to only those two measures. So I could do over and over and over again.

BTW, I found when I thought about it (but didn't look), I would sometimes miss, but when I didn't think about it and just moved my hand (without looking), I would 90% of the hit the right note. I think this shows that it is possible to overthink some things.

[Linked Image]

Tyrone Slothrop #2793680 12/21/18 04:57 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

You should try it without looking at the tape. I missed a lot, but certainly after 30 mins, I was able to get it 90% of the time without looking away from the score/screen, just by training my proprioception "sense" for those 30 mins through sheer repetition. Not looking at all made it go so much smoother. Because I would miss alot during my "training" is also the reason I narrowed my practice window in PM to only those two measures. So I could do over and over and over again.

BTW, I found when I thought about it (but didn't look), I would sometimes miss, but when I didn't think about it and just moved my hand (without looking), I would 90% of the hit the right note. I think this shows that it is possible to overthink some things.

Note to myself, remove tape. laugh Yesterday I got 82% in fast, not bad. I don't really dare to not look at my hands because the pressure is too big. It's the last piece of level 3 where I have to pick up 100%, I don't want to miss that by not looking. I'm going to use your advice and try it in practice mode without looking, if it's for real I've got all the direction of my hand float right. I found an interesting YouTube about watching music/hands. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVvY8KfXXgE Look all the way because only about half of it is about sheet music. In which level of Marvel are you already?

Sarah65 #2793708 12/21/18 08:08 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
I found a way (not looking), at the end of mesure 16 finger 4 is on the low C; I tuck my thumb under it on the C and then pink comes automaticly (finger 5) on low F....and now full speed laugh

Sarah65 #2793772 12/21/18 11:04 AM
I found a way (not looking), at the end of mesure 16 finger 4 is on the low C; I tuck my thumb under it on the C and then pink comes automaticly (finger 5) on low F....and now full speed laugh

Oh! that's good to know. I'm not that far yet but I'm going to keep that in mind for when I get there.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

Sarah65 #2793790 12/21/18 11:53 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

This is good you found a way to do it, but check that to do this stretch with thumb, you aren't having to twist/turn your hand. My teacher said when I was doing it on Clementi sonatina, that long stretches like this which require you to turn/twist hand are definitely not preferred for the reason of form and it is better to lift up your hand and place it down in the new position. For this reason, if you find the thumb under results in you twisting/turning your hand, you might still want to just also practice the proprioception thing also a few times and see if you can get it done that way, since that is considered better form than any twisting/turning to use thumb under. Of course if you can't then give up and come back to it later. In general, I understood that small thumb unders are ok when there are no twisting/turning (when you do a scale), but any big stretches put your hand in an awkward position and are considered bad form.

[Linked Image]

Sarah65 #2794085 12/22/18 08:19 AM
I am back in the PianoMarvel world! After ten months of little playing and no instruction I am picking up where I left off. I think an interruption like that borders on criminally stupid but there's no going back in time. It was more work than I remembered but I have my monitor, mouse, keyboards, and everything set up for practice again. I also spent the better part of a day trying to get the software working again but I doubt if I could write a g-rated version of that! smile

I don't mean to hijack the thread, I just wanted to say I'm back. And I'm happy to see this thread is still alive.

Tyrone Slothrop #2794087 12/22/18 08:20 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

This is good you found a way to do it, but check that to do this stretch with thumb, you aren't having to twist/turn your hand. My teacher said when I was doing it on Clementi sonatina, that long stretches like this which require you to turn/twist hand are definitely not preferred for the reason of form and it is better to lift up your hand and place it down in the new position. For this reason, if you find the thumb under results in you twisting/turning your hand, you might still want to just also practice the proprioception thing also a few times and see if you can get it done that way, since that is considered better form than any twisting/turning to use thumb under. Of course if you can't then give up and come back to it later. In general, I understood that small thumb unders are ok when there are no twisting/turning (when you do a scale), but any big stretches put your hand in an awkward position and are considered bad form.

I have an extra problem with two feelingless fingers in my left hand, pink and ring finger. Moving the whole hand is not an option, because I don't feel where they are going to come down. I manage to do it, and I see no problem with rotating or stretching. It feels very natural to me, and at my age some more or less joint pain is also not a problem. Thanks for your concern though:) Today 96%... another trick I tried, play the song faster en then the normal speed (100) seems slower.

TomInCinci #2794088 12/22/18 08:22 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by TomInCinci
I am back in the PianoMarvel world! After ten months of little playing and no instruction I am picking up where I left off. I think an interruption like that borders on criminally stupid but there's no going back in time. It was more work than I remembered but I have my monitor, mouse, keyboards, and everything set up for practice again. I also spent the better part of a day trying to get the software working again but I doubt if I could write a g-rated version of that! smile

I don't mean to hijack the thread, I just wanted to say I'm back. And I'm happy to see this thread is still alive.

Welcom back smile

Sarah65 #2794163 12/22/18 12:53 PM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Finaly yeah laugh

[[Linked Image]

Sarah65 #2794164 12/22/18 12:56 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Finaly yeah laugh

[[Linked Image]

Congrats! thumb yippie

[Linked Image]

Sarah65 #2794198 12/22/18 01:55 PM
Congrats! I think I'm still in 3-D but I will get there.

I've only been back in for a day and I've already had to force myself to walk away. I am like a child on a video game with this software. I'll tell myself I'm going to try one more time to get 100% on a song or an exercise and an hour later I'm still saying one more time. The same exercises on paper would be torture for me. But there's something about seeing what I'm doing right & wrong without waiting a week to see my teacher that just makes me push on.

Now I'm not saying a person doesn't still need a teacher. I don't believe that for a second. It won't impart musicality to you. But it sure seems to help me (and I'll admit to being a sub-par music student) to learn to read.

TomInCinci #2794218 12/22/18 02:45 PM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you supporters. I spent almost 3 weeks on "Rider" piece by continuing to try to get the 100% at full speed. The trick with increasing speed has helped a lot I think, at last I could even get at 130 Bpm still 95%, my fingers just did their thing and I didn't have time to think. And that's what you end up having to be able I think. Spontaneous play:) It is indeed a very addictive game, I also can't stop before I get the 100%, also in practice mode on every part. I've done it about 2 years to accomplish this, and now I'm going to enjoy a bit and upload songs I like and learn to play them. Next year we'll be fighting with level 4 laugh

TomInCinci #2794223 12/22/18 02:59 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TomInCinci
It won't impart musicality to you.

Yes, I'm actually shocked about this since it was created by a DMA student. I don't understand why there isn't even a single video on piano technique associated with PM. Perhaps this is a very jaded view on piano training on PM's part, somewhat similar to the view the creators of Synthesia must also have.

[Linked Image]

Sarah65 #2794226 12/22/18 03:09 PM
... now I'm going to enjoy a bit and upload songs I like and learn to play them.

Have you looked at the library. There is so much there.

Have you participated in any of the challenges?

I did quite a bit in the Christmas one and in the hymn one.

Think I'll go back to the method section and see if I can make some progress towards completing level 3.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

Page 15 of 69 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 68 69

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do you teach sight reading?
by Ubu - 05/28/20 04:37 AM
Tool Backpack
by TimM_980 - 05/28/20 12:47 AM
Looking for a piano
by ThePenist - 05/28/20 12:25 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,224
Posts2,963,004
Members97,209
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission