2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
Sorry for the totally amateur-ish question.

What is the best way to inspect the crown without removing the plate?

Yes, yes, I know, I need to hire a tech to inspect the piano if I'm really interested in it. I've been shopping for a piano for quite some time, and I've (happily) hired techs to inspect a few pianos that I was interested in. But how can I tell if there is a glaring problem with the crown in the first place?

I've heard some people say that, if the upper register is short-lived, then it is a crown problem. But then the dealer says it's a "voicing" problem that can be addressed once it's delivered to my home and acclimated. Riiiiiiight. The bottom and middle registers chime like bells, but just the upper register needs special voicing in my home after I buy it to sound good.

I don't know how much longer of this piano shopping stuff I can take. I'm about ready to just start learning how to play Guitar Hero or something as my musical outlet.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Why is crown important? A piano can have a soundboard with crown and still sound terrible. The only reliable way to know if a soundboard sounds great is to hear it independently of the hammers and strings. When i measure a soundboard, i measure it loaded and then re-measure when its unloaded. Then i start getting an idea of its behavior. As i have said in other posts, its valuable to hear a new soundboard to know the sound as a comparison factor. Deep tap tones and long sustain is what i look for. Here are some soundboard makers that had very good sounding boards that were also well engineered. Baldwin, Pre 1920 Weber, Mason and Hamlin ( although there is a structural flaw that needs to be fixed). When it comes to Spineways, their boards are awful. Under-engineered on purpose with uneven rib scales, so they will fail sooner rather than later. Probably just past the warranty.
-chris

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Crown is measured from the bottom, not the top. You stretch a string in between 2 ribs and look for any gap at the center. You can use masking tape to stick it to the ends, but it needs to be tight, no sag.

Next question - how much should you see? A very small gap at the center shows some crown, so don't get too crazy trying to measure it. String pressure on the bridge compresses the soundboard crown some.

You can also lift the dampers and pluck the string! Comparing the tone and sustain plucked and played tells you if it's a voicing issue. But generally, when a dealer says this they are obfuscating - tell them to voice it for good sustain before you buy! It doesn't need to wait until you get it home!

Keep looking, I think.

Don Mannino RPT, MPA
G
G
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
When it comes to Spineways, their boards are awful. Under-engineered on purpose with uneven rib scales, so they will fail sooner rather than later. Probably just past the warranty.
-chris

To whomever wishes to reply:

What exactly is a "Spineway" -- anyone care to elaborate, here?

Spineway -- Steinway -- is this it?

Originally Posted by gp84
When it comes to Spineways, their boards are awful. Under-engineered on purpose with uneven rib scales, so they will fail sooner rather than later. Probably just past the warranty.
-chris

To whomever wishes to reply:

What exactly is a "Spineway" -- anyone care to elaborate, here?

Spineway -- Steinway -- is this it?

It's a Steinway with Mr. Chernobieff's replacement soundboard.
[Linked Image]

G
G
Originally Posted by jarobi
It's a Steinway with Mr. Chernobieff's replacement soundboard.
[Linked Image]

Why am I finding no info about "Spineway" when searching for it and there is no mention of anything like the above on Mr. Chernobieff's website?

As I only find this:

http://www.spineway.com/index_2.php?version=desktop#close

Not even close to a piano related product.

Whazzup?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's a spoof.

Steinway recently produced a letter threatening owners , and rebuilders with legal actions. There has ensued much debate which is still pending.
Others have suggested names like Steinwas, Stein way better, Meinway, etc as humorous replacement decals. Mine is Spineway the piano with backbone.
Hope that clears it up.
-chris

G
G
Okay, thanks for the reply and clarification -- have a good holiday! grin

P
OP Offline
P
Steinwas, Stein way better, Meinway, etc . . . Spineway the piano with backbone.

My personal contribution is Frankensteinway.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh yeah i forgot that one. Good one.
-chris

P
OP Offline
P
Why is crown important?

I don't know. It's just something I read about when researching pianos here and something that piano dealers talk about.

My understanding is that a bowed soundboard with a nice crown produces better tone or some crap like that?

I can't handle this anymore. I'm almost ready to hire someone to buy a piano for me.

Originally Posted by Piano90X
Why is crown important?

I don't know. It's just something I read about when researching pianos here and something that piano dealers talk about.

My understanding is that a bowed soundboard with a nice crown produces better tone or some crap like that?

I can't handle this anymore. I'm almost ready to hire someone to buy a piano for me.

It's easy to over analyze a piano purchase, I know I am guilty. Just find a piano you like and can afford and have it checked out by a competent technician. If it feels and sounds good to you, that's all that matters.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Get an entry to mid level decent digital, a couple of hundred dollars or so, suggestions available on the digital forum, start learning, playing, practising, and take your time about finding the right piano for you. It can be a bit like dating, look too hard and it doesn’t happen, mix in the right circles and it does. But I do think if your purchase attitude carries to your learning piano attitude you’re choosing the wrong instrument.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Why is crown important?

I think this is an Internet phenomenon. Thirty years ago, did anyone who wasn't a piano technician even know what crown was?

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Before the internet who even knew what a 'Piano Technician' was? Here in the UK I'd suggest that 99% of the population have still never heard the term but only know 'Piano Tuner' as a generic term.

As for 'crown' that's what the top snobs wear.

But back on topic, buying a piano should be simple.
a) Play pianos(lots) until you find one you really like (b) get it checked out independently (c) make sure you get a good guarantee (including 30 day no quibble return) when you buy it.

Then go and play instead of wasting time worrying about piano components :-)

Last edited by gwing; 12/21/18 05:54 AM.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Get an entry to mid level decent digital, a couple of hundred dollars or so, suggestions available on the digital forum, start learning, playing, practising, and take your time about finding the right piano for you.

Great suggestions, but I've already checked all those boxes. I've taken lessons since I was a wee lad, and continue to do so as not-so-wee lad. I have a tolerable Yamaha weighted-key digital. I grew up playing on a C3, and currently have pretty easy access to a Baldwin SD-10 and a M&H Model A in the homes of nearby family members.

I just finally have enough money saved to buy a nice piano, and I've found the process maddening. It probably doesn't help that the major dealer in my vicinity went out of business a couple years ago, so it's very difficult to find certain brands without flying to other states. But dealers are so tight-lipped about prices that I effectively have to buy a ticket and fly out there to get much information.

It'd be irresponsible of me to spend money on a plane ticket to try a piano unless I know how much it costs. And I have actually done this with private sellers who list on PianoMart or Craigslist et al (where people actually post their prices) on a few occasions. Those pianos didn't work out for subjective reasons independent of price, but I actually don't regret spending the money on plane tickets in that case because I had much more predictable and transparent information going into the transaction.

Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
It can be a bit like dating, look too hard and it doesn’t happen, mix in the right circles and it does. But I do think if your purchase attitude carries to your learning piano attitude you’re choosing the wrong instrument.

That's a fair criticism and an insightful comment. I might indeed be looking a bit too hard, but I don't really know how to look less hard. And, yes, I wonder if I should just take a break from the search so that the frustration of the experience doesn't taint my love for the instrument.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
If you have saved up a long, long time to buy a piano and are looking for the special one that will 100% satisfy you for a lifetime I can understand how much it means. But it might take you a lifetime, or longer, to find that piano.

At some point you need to make a choice between options that are actually available :-)

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's easy to over analyze a piano purchase, I know I am guilty. Just find a piano you like and can afford and have it checked out by a competent technician. If it feels and sounds good to you, that's all that matters.
I agree about the easy to over analyze part. But I think your last sentence only applies to experienced pianists who have tried or are familiar with many pianos.

Those not fitting that description may like a piano only because it sounds/feels better compared to their old upright or old digital. Or they may not be perceptive about what tonal/touch characteristics are generally desirable and only later on, when they are more experienced/knowledgeable, realize the piano they thought was so nice really isn't so. Getting selection help from knowledgeable and honest dealers, hired techs, or more knowledgeable friends or piano teachers, and reading The Piano Book is often a good idea.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I agree about the easy to over analyze part. But I think your last sentence only applies to experienced pianists who have tried or are familiar with many pianos.

Those not fitting that description may like a piano only because it sounds/feels better compared to their old upright or old digital. Or they may not be perceptive about what tonal/touch characteristics are generally desirable and only later on, when they are more experienced/knowledgeable, realize the piano they thought was so nice really isn't so. Getting selection help from knowledgeable and honest dealers, hired techs, or more knowledgeable friends or piano teachers, and reading The Piano Book is often a good idea.

Fair enough, but the OP has been playing for a long time and regularly plays other quality acoustic pianos. My point was that it's easy to get confused by reading about never ending piano minutiae, here on PW, and lose sight of what really counts. You can drive yourself crazy looking for the technically perfect piano and quite possibly pass over a piano you would be happy with because it might have a defect that you would never know existed, or that it's a brand not routinely praised here on PW.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the expertise shared here and it has saved me from making some piano buying mistakes, but at some point "analysis paralysis" can set in. It seems like that is where the OP is.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano90X
Why is crown important?

Pick me me me me! I love piano shopping! Especially when I don’t have to pay for the choice. I get to play different pianos! A great way to earn extra Christmas 💰 cash!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission