2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
dmd #2793161 12/19/18 06:41 PM
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by Downhill_Fast
Originally Posted by Lillith
To the OP
That's disgraceful - just a way of putting you down.
A spouse's job should be to build you up, not put you down.
I just wouldn't put up with a spouse who made himself feel good by putting you down - that's not on, but if you think about it he's probably been doing it in little ways for ever.
Possibly 'disguised' as a joke.

Ditch the spouse and get a cat.

Originally Posted by Hanlon's Razor
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Honestly, OP's husband's comment is exactly the kind of thing that I would say. The thing is, I would be saying it to myself out loud, marveling at my own ignorance when it came to differentiating between my spouse and a professional recording. I would think the joke was on me, and I would expect to share a small chuckle with my spouse about how daft I am, not realizing until my spouse stalked off that it could also have been taken as a cutting criticism of her playing. So, Hanlon's Razor: I'm not an intentional or envious jerk, I'm simply a bit socially obtuse at times!

Well, here is something completely off topic ….but it is driving me crazy.

Maybe someone else can resolve this …..

There is a quote shown above as posted by Hanlon's Razor.

I have looked for that posting in a previous post and absolutely cannot find it.

And … in addition to that …. I looked up Hanlon's Razor in the User List and it is not there.

Mystery.

Can anyone help me out on this ?

I think the poster was invoking Hanlon's Razor:
Hanlon's razor is an aphorism expressed in various ways, including: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. It suggests a way of eliminating unlikely explanations ("attributions") for human behavior and its consequences.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd

Well, here is something completely off topic ….but it is driving me crazy.

Maybe someone else can resolve this …..

There is a quote shown above as posted by Hanlon's Razor.

I have looked for that posting in a previous post and absolutely cannot find it.

And … in addition to that …. I looked up Hanlon's Razor in the User List and it is not there.

Mystery.

Can anyone help me out on this ?

grin ha
Well, okay, it was a joke. blush Or--maybe dmd was trying to trip me up. Yup, that must be it.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X

Stubbie #2793182 12/19/18 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Stubbie
Well, okay, it was a joke. blush Or--maybe dmd was trying to trip me up. Yup, that must be it.

I honestly have no idea so I err'd on the side of, uh... making the thread more lighthearted laugh

Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course, Level 1 [Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas]
Yamaha P-45

[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie

I honestly have no idea so I err'd on the side of, uh... making the thread more lighthearted laugh
No, I think you're quite correct. smile An alternative response that came to mind was Oops, it was a joke and it flew over my head. I guess that makes me stu...... No, let's not go there. laugh

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X

DutchTea #2793210 12/19/18 08:54 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This is why I often play my digital when my husband is home, lol. He's not a jerk (that much lol), he's just never played an instrument and has no clue what learning and practicing are all about. And sometimes he's been known to say dumb things.

People can be stupid, even our significant others. Tell him it bothered you and ask him not to make any more flippant comments, thank you very much!

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
DutchTea #2793236 12/19/18 10:12 PM
M
M
Love the idea of Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

And having been on both the giving and receiving end of dumb jokes that went flop, yeah, easiest to call it what it is, try to avoid it in the future, apologize if indicated, and move on.

Give and take. My significant other is decent (after instruction) on complimenting, but has rebelled 100% against Beethoven because "it's too gloomy". I think Beethoven should be more upset about that than I am, but I am trying to learn the Beethoven when everyone else is out of the house.

Not trying to tell the OP what to do, just saying that if there is a suspicion of a joke gone wrong, that's a fairly easy fix. If it's something more serious, then of course what I'm writing doesn't apply.

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
grin ha

Ok … LOL … You got me.

But now I am curious ….

How do you get it to say [Originally posted by ….etc ….] with a dark bar on top of the quote ?

It looked authentic to me.

Are you just using your knowledge of html code to do that ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
dmd #2793269 12/20/18 12:23 AM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Santa Claus
grin ha

HO HO HO ...

Well, never mind. I see it is quite easy.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
. . .

Fortunately I'm playing with a music group. Whenever we have get-togethers like before Christmas, somebody would be at the piano and someone else would be singing sort of thing. Of course we all want the people closest to us to appreciate our music playing but not everybody is into music. At least I have a group of like-minded people that I socialize with regularly.
. . .

Join a choir! That's one place you'll be surrounded by people who love to make music.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
DutchTea #2793349 12/20/18 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by DutchTea
... I have a book I am using that has a cd of the music. It helps me to know what how the piece is supposed to sound. Well, I started one of the songs and he came up the stairs right at that moment and said with laughter, 'I thought, wow, she's doing a lot better!' I didn't even know what to say at that point. I just closed up the piano and went somewhere to cry for a bit...

We can't know with certainty that the laughter by Mr. DutchTea was necessarily of the mocking or derisive type - we don't know for sure since we weren't there to hear or witness it - it could just as easily have been a self-conscious laughing at himself because he innocently, but mistakenly, assumed that the pianist he heard playing as he ascended the steps was Mrs. DutchTea, and so felt slightly embarrassed...such a semi-comical situation would probably have engendered amused laughter by both spouses in most marriages, with the wife saying, for instance, "That was a recording by a professional of the piece I'm trying to learn dummy, but I'll sound pretty much like that soon enough, and then I'll have the last laugh! So, stick that in your stinkin' pipe..."

But, without knowing more about the circumstances of this incident, or the marital relationship in general, it may be a gross injustice to find Mr. DutchTea guilty of nastiness, or deliberate insult or any other negative intention - the traditional principle of "due process" requires that he be considered innocent until absolutely proven otherwise, and that in all fairness he be given the benefit of the doubt. Just maybe there's the outside possibility that he's the one who has been wrongly charged here and needs compassion and a certain degree of exoneration.

Also, it should be firmly kept in mind that, in spite of the efforts of modern hard-core feminists to have us all believe otherwise, men are not the only gender capable of insensitivity or of making dumb, hurtful, insulting remarks...

Last edited by Handyman; 12/20/18 08:38 AM.

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Handyman #2793350 12/20/18 08:42 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Handyman
Also, it should be firmly kept in mind that, in spite of the efforts of modern hard-core feminists to have us all believe otherwise, men are not the only gender capable of insensitivity or of making dumb, hurtful, insulting remarks...

Ugh. frown

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Ugh. frown

I think most common sense people know that any gender sadly, is capable of making insensitive remarks...

[Linked Image]
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

Ugh. frown

I think most common sense people know that any gender sadly, is capable of making insensitive remarks...

Yes, especially men smile.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
DutchTea #2793381 12/20/18 10:39 AM
As a somewhat radical proposal I think that - in the interest of fairness - Mr. DutchTea should be offered the opportunity to come on here and tell his side of the story - it's only right and just that he be given a chance to be heard from and defend himself, if indeed any real defense is actually needed - or possible (as the case may be). Mr. DutchTea?

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
cmb13 #2793382 12/20/18 10:39 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cmb13

Ugh. frown

PEOPLE can do insensitive things, period. How about if we stay away from making this gender specific. It is only going to lead to contention and getting the topic closed. Hint-hint.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
DutchTea #2793386 12/20/18 10:46 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
And as my contribution to the topic, I should say, "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity:.

Communication is everything. While, in my humble opinion, it is ok to talk about it on here, if you have not talked to him about it I would suggest doing so. Perhaps that will solve everything..

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ken Knapp

Ugh. frown

PEOPLE can do insensitive things, period. How about if we stay away from making this gender specific. It is only going to lead to contention and getting the topic closed. Hint-hint.

Just a tongue-in-cheek joke, Ken, from a fellow male. Self-gender-deprecating. Truth is this thread has probably run its course anyway though!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
cmb13 #2793440 12/20/18 02:04 PM

Truth is this thread has probably run its course anyway though!

Yes, but only if Mr. DutchTea doesn't show up - if he does then we could enjoy another lengthy and fun-filled run...

John

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission