Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
117 registered members (Aimer, 36251, Abdol, Aristede, AYS, Avalanch, apianostudent, Animisha, almo82, 24 invisible), 4,033 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase #2792683
12/18/18 01:06 PM
12/18/18 01:06 PM
C
campfire Offline OP
campfire  Offline OP
C

Hi there,

Thanks for being a great resource. I think I've read all the forum and web resources I could find. Would appreciate your insights before we make a purchase. Daughter has been playing for three years on a $150 keyboard. We don't really push her one way or the other. She just plays on her own. She's finally asking for an acoustic.

I used to play classical guitar as a child, but never piano. Just started learning myself as an adult learner and hopefully continue to commit. Though can't be sure, so I'm a bit the minor consideration.

After checking out all the usual suspects in this price range, we're down to these:

New U1 $6788
New U3 - $9989
2016 Used U3 - $8531 with five year warranty

This is from a reputable large dealer in the area. They have great reviews and were highly recommended by a few good friends who have purchased grands from them. They are also part of the music school that we've been at for three years. (They give a small discount to students.)

As mentioned, we understand there are many good options in this price range. And also understand the pros/cons of the Yamaha sound (perceived and real). But we're trying to start simplifying the process and make a decision. So this is where we are.

She really prefers the U3 sound, but understands that the U1 would do too if we chose the cheaper route. I'd really prefer to get something new as we don't know any piano techs and won't have time to find one that we would trust. And even then, most of the time, I buy new as I feel it is less stress. A few questions.

1. The 2016 used U3 seems like a good deal. The dealer sold this to the previous owner. Took it back as part of the upgrade program when the previous owner decided to upgrade to a grand after two years. He even offered to put me in touch with that previous owner. For many reasons, if I go that route, I will have to purchase it without a tech inspecting it. I know this is not ideal, but assuming the context is true, would it be relatively "lower risk"?

2. Any argument/reasoning to just go new U3 in this case?

3. Or get the U1 now, and see how far she (and I) go and if she commits further, then upgrade to something beyond the U3 later down the road? Basically skipping the U3. In all likelihood though, we likely will never have space for a grand, unless we start making massive changes to our layout. The full value upgrade program only works if you get something twice the cost of the original purchase. The U1's lower cost makes it more realistic that we avail of this if we end up upgrading later.

All this said, I generally prefer to buy once, buy well and be done with it. And we're good for 30+ years. (I say now.)

The forum has been a wonderful resource. It's my first post, so be gentle please. Haha. Thanks in advance for your insights. It is much appreciated.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: campfire] #2792708
12/18/18 02:05 PM
12/18/18 02:05 PM
Not too far North of Los Angel...
L
Learux Offline

500 Post Club Member
Learux  Offline

500 Post Club Member
L

My vote would go for the 2016 used U3 after a tech inspects it. Why do you say you have to purchase it without a tech inspecting it?

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: campfire] #2792739
12/18/18 03:30 PM
12/18/18 03:30 PM
Lexington, NC
M
mackguy Offline
mackguy  Offline
M

Lexington, NC
Why is the used U3 only with a 5 year warranty? New Yamaha come with a 10 year warranty, so this should have at least 7 years left.
I have just purchased a 2016 Boston and it included 8 years remaining manufacturer full parts & service warranty.

That would be kind of a red flag to me, though Yamaha policies may well be different than Boston, I guess someone else here can comment.

Is the 5 year warranty via the dealer or via Yamaha? If it's via the dealer, how comprehensive is it?

The ~15% discount from new to used also seems small, mine was ~27% discount vs their best price on a new piano of same model

I'm not at all an expert, but just thought I'd give my observation based on my very recent experience.

http://www.alphagearhead.com
Boston UP-126E
Yamaha P-60 Digital
A variety of guitars

Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: mackguy] #2792804
12/18/18 07:23 PM
12/18/18 07:23 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Originally Posted by mackguy
The ~15% discount from new to used also seems small, mine was ~27% discount vs their best price on a new piano of same model
Did you buy from the same dealer? If not, you could be comparing apples to oranges depending on how much the price on the new piano was discounted from MSRP or (better) from SMP?

Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: campfire] #2792809
12/18/18 07:34 PM
12/18/18 07:34 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Originally Posted by campfire
1. The 2016 used U3 seems like a good deal. The dealer sold this to the previous owner. Took it back as part of the upgrade program when the previous owner decided to upgrade to a grand after two years. He even offered to put me in touch with that previous owner. For many reasons, if I go that route, I will have to purchase it without a tech inspecting it. I know this is not ideal, but assuming the context is true, would it be relatively "lower risk"?

2. Any argument/reasoning to just go new U3 in this case?

3. Or get the U1 now, and see how far she (and I) go and if she commits further, then upgrade to something beyond the U3 later down the road? Basically skipping the U3. In all likelihood though, we likely will never have space for a grand, unless we start making massive changes to our layout. The full value upgrade program only works if you get something twice the cost of the original purchase. The U1's lower cost makes it more realistic that we avail of this if we end up upgrading later.

1. Yes
2. I think only you can decide whether the extra cost is worth it to you.
3. I think it makes more sense to buy either of the U3s, especially if your daughter seems quite into studying the piano and prefers the sound of the U3. Depending on the dealer, you may not get as good a price on the grand if you pay for part of it with the value of the trade in.

Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: campfire] #2792870
12/18/18 10:55 PM
12/18/18 10:55 PM
C
campfire Offline OP
campfire  Offline OP
C

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. It is much appreciated. I was literally reading them in the showroom. I was at the tail end of my research and decided today to purchase the new U3!

As I mentioned, I played classical guitar for many years as a kid. Unfortunately, we never had enough money to buy a quality guitar. My parents scraped enough money to buy me a serviceable guitar over 30 years ago, which I still have and play to this day.

There are probably better deals out there, but this is low stress and seemingly not the best or the worst deal -- and that's good enough for me. Right now, I can sit and enjoy the next part. We take delivery tomorrow. Can't wait to see the look on her face!

Thanks again to all!

Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: campfire] #2792875
12/18/18 11:37 PM
12/18/18 11:37 PM
Arkansas
S
supersport Offline
500 Post Club Member
supersport  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Arkansas
Congratulations on your new Yamaha!. It should serve you well for many many years.

David

Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: campfire] #2792889
12/19/18 12:16 AM
12/19/18 12:16 AM
L
Learux Offline

500 Post Club Member
Learux  Offline

500 Post Club Member
L

There are probably better deals out there, but this is low stress and seemingly not the best or the worst deal -- and that's good enough for me. Right now, I can sit and enjoy the next part. We take delivery tomorrow. Can't wait to see the look on her face!

That is such a true statement , people sometimes forget. Paying extra for service and/or piece of mind is a very real thing. Saving a couple of grand looking at the larger picture is really not that significant I know I didn't and don't regret it a single second.

Enjoy that new piano.

Happy holidays.

Learux

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: campfire] #2792912
12/19/18 02:13 AM
12/19/18 02:13 AM
Oregon USA
jarobi Offline
jarobi  Offline

Oregon USA
Low stress is good. The U3 is a really nice upright. Enjoy.

Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: campfire] #2792980
12/19/18 10:06 AM
12/19/18 10:06 AM
Lexington, NC
M
mackguy Offline
mackguy  Offline
M

Lexington, NC
You got to exactly the same point I was when I decided on my Boston upright. You could spend years trying to hunt out the best deal, or comparing a thousand other pianos.
Or you could find a piano you really like, at a price that's fair, and get on with life.
I have a 5 and 2 year old, so taking a full weekend to drive to piano dealers hours away just wasn't feasible for us.

Yamaha makes a great instrument, though I haven't played a U3, it's sure to be a great addition!

Also, I would have definitely payed the extra $1500 to double the warranty and ensure it's a factory warranty etc, so I think it was a good choice there.

Boston UP-126E
Yamaha P-60 Digital
A variety of guitars

Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: campfire] #2793142
12/19/18 05:51 PM
12/19/18 05:51 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
2000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Congratulations and Happy Christmas!

Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: campfire] #2793491
12/20/18 04:55 PM
12/20/18 04:55 PM
Southwest
j&j Online content
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
Congratulations to you and your daughter. You just can’t go wrong getting a new U3. It can and will last through your daughter’s musical studies. Merry Christmas to you both. Pictures of the delivery and your daughter’s look of surprise are now required!!!

J & J
Yamaha C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: campfire] #2793552
12/20/18 08:06 PM
12/20/18 08:06 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Congrats on your new piano. You and your daughter are going to love it! And yes, please post pictures.

[Linked Image]
Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: campfire] #2793568
12/20/18 08:52 PM
12/20/18 08:52 PM
C
campfire Offline OP
campfire  Offline OP
C

Thanks all for the kind wishes! She was beyond thrilled!

I've been so encouraged in fact, that I just booked my first piano lesson! And eager to progress in 2019.

Happy Holidays to all of you!

Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: mackguy] #2793573
12/20/18 08:59 PM
12/20/18 08:59 PM
Rockville, MD
Seeker Offline
500 Post Club Member
Seeker  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rockville, MD
Regarding the warranty on the used U3, it would appear that said warranty was offered through the dealer rather than Yamaha.

"Thank you for selecting a YAMAHA product. YAMAHA products are designed and manufactured to provide a high level of defect-free performance.Yamaha Corporation of America (“YAMAHA”) is proud of the experience andcraftsmanship that goes into each and every YAMAHA product. YAMAHA sells its products through a network of reputable, specially authorized dealers and is pleased to offer you, the Original Owner, the following LimitedWarranty, which applies only to products that have been (1) directly purchased from YAMAHA’s authorized dealers in the fifty states of the USA and District of Columbia (the “Warranted Area”) and (2) used exclusively inthe Warranted Area. YAMAHA suggests that you read the Limited Warranty thoroughly, and invites you to contact your authorized YAMAHA dealer or YAMAHA Customer Service if you have any questions..:.

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/ocp/en_us/support/warranty/pianos/070109_Acoustic_Piano_Warranty.pdf

I think you made a great choice. The U3 holds up well to a LOT of use in institutional settings. It should certainly last until such time as your daughter's playing level gets to a point where a grand piano would make a difference. That said, I know several professionals in Europe who practice on instruments equivalent to the U3 due to space constraints.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: campfire] #2793817
12/21/18 12:48 PM
12/21/18 12:48 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Thanks all for the kind wishes! She was beyond thrilled!

I've been so encouraged in fact, that I just booked my first piano lesson! And eager to progress in 2019.

Happy Holidays to all of you!
Congratulations on your new piano! And congrats on signing up for lessons. Getting a nice piano (especially a nice acoustic piano, in my experience) can be so very inspiring. Here's to many happy and productive hours of practice and playing!

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: Seeker] #2793824
12/21/18 01:08 PM
12/21/18 01:08 PM
Lexington, NC
M
mackguy Offline
mackguy  Offline
M

Lexington, NC
Originally Posted by Seeker
Regarding the warranty on the used U3, it would appear that said warranty was offered through the dealer rather than Yamaha.

That's interesting, so maybe my Yamaha salesman wasn't off when he said they didn't have a transferrable warranty.

$1,500 seems like a small markup for both double the warranty duration, as well as manufacturer's warranty vs dealer.

Great choice!

Boston UP-126E
Yamaha P-60 Digital
A variety of guitars

Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: campfire] #2793858
12/21/18 03:15 PM
12/21/18 03:15 PM
Southwest
j&j Online content
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
As far as I know, the original piano warranty goes to the original purchaser of that piano only. Any warranty on a used piano is from the piano dealer, not the manufacturer. My Baldwin and both my Yamahas came with a 10 year warranty. I’ve never had a problem with any of my pianos that the customary tuning, voicing, or regular regulation couldn’t fix.
A 10 year warranty gives new piano buyers some reassurance that the manufacturer stands behind their products. Quite frankly, most manufacturers defects show up much sooner than 10 years.

J & J
Yamaha C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Inspection for Yamaha U3 Purchase [Re: campfire] #2793860
12/21/18 03:22 PM
12/21/18 03:22 PM
Lexington, NC
M
mackguy Offline
mackguy  Offline
M

Lexington, NC
Depends on the brand I guess.
My 2016 Boston was sold with 8 year remainder of factory warranty, and I've read of others here that got remainder of factory warranty.
I have seen Kawai advertised by Kawai dealers as having x-years remaining factory warranty as well.

In any event, OP here got the new piano so no worries, I was just curious.

Boston UP-126E
Yamaha P-60 Digital
A variety of guitars

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Prices for a P515?
by Dkrs60. 09/21/19 11:52 AM
YAMAHA Avant Grand "N2x" -- sort of
by diodio. 09/21/19 10:54 AM
Roland Go: Piano line/headphone out
by Real Rob. 09/21/19 10:03 AM
Recommendation
by Azz25. 09/21/19 09:28 AM
Door to door piano salesmen
by Rich Galassini. 09/21/19 07:10 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,136
Posts2,871,670
Members94,471
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission