2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Arnes Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I just updated Pianoteq Stage to version 6.
I am now thinking about upgrading Stage to Standard, because I would like to be able to modify the sounds more to my liking. But are the sound modification tools available in the standard version really worth it?

I have four spare Genelec biamps (2x8020 and 2x1019A). It might be interesting to try them with my FP-90 and Pianoteq.

FP-90
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Depends how much you are sensitive for some details. Nobody can give you that answer, you must try it for yourself. For me, mics placement makes difference more than other settings. With standard version you can load different FXP presets and some of them are very good. Put it this way, my basic answer is Stage is enough, but I am glad that I have Standard version. Yeah I know it is funny and not much help isn`t it ? frown smile

J
J
I bought Standard version and never change any parameter. I'd rather spend my time practicing than tuning.

Yamaha C2X
Kawai MP11SE
Kawai K300 (Sold)

My Youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxcUXVYxe1KM914SJX8YXsg
M
M
Originally Posted by slobajudge
For me, mics placement makes difference more than other settings.

Completely agree! I couldn't imagine how much mic placement affects a piano sound. Really amazing feature. Also for me, it was a very educational experience.

Roland FP-30
Komplete 12 Ult; Ivory 2 - ACD, Grand Pianos; Vilabs - ALL; Pianoteq - 7 PRO; Galaxy - Vintage D, Vienna Grand; Production Voices - All Kontakt libs; Lounge Lizard EP-4; Neo-Soul Keys; AcousticSamples - All; Addictive Keys- All
Zoom UAC-2; Beyers DT-880 PRO; JBL - LSR305
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by JerryFan2000
I bought Standard version and never change any parameter. I'd rather spend my time practicing than tuning.

Practicing affects the sound more than ANYTHING.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
A
Arnes Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by dmd

Practicing affects the sound more than ANYTHING.

And piano sound affects your willingness to practice.

Last edited by Arnes; 12/20/18 01:23 AM.

FP-90
P
P
Depends how much you are sensitive for some details. Nobody can give you that answer, you must try it for yourself. For me, mics placement makes difference more than other settings. With standard version you can load different FXP presets and some of them are very good. Put it this way, my basic answer is Stage is enough, but I am glad that I have Standard version. Yeah I know it is funny and not much help isn`t it ? frown smile

For someone able to read between the lines it says enough :-)

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianistje

OK. Please translate for those who can't read between the lines. That I should upgrade from Stage to Standard to get more realism?

BTW, coincidentally, a parallel thread started yesterday on Reddit's r/piano, which is sometimes like PW except on some Counter-Earth.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Arnes

Most definitely. Unauthenticity saps the enthusiasm.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Arnes: If you're happy with the sound of your existing version of Pianoteq, I'd recommend keeping it rather than upgrading it.

If you're not really happy with it, I'd skip the Pianoteq upgrade because it won't get that much better. The essential character of the sound won't change with the upgrade.
Instead I'd opt instead for a different, better virtual instrument. There are many to choose from.

P
P
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

OK. Please translate for those who can't read between the lines. That I should upgrade from Stage to Standard to get more realism?

BTW, coincidentally, a parallel thread started yesterday on Reddit's r/piano, which is sometimes like PW except on some Counter-Earth.

OP says he wants to be able to adjust the tone of pianoteq more to his LIKING.

Slobajudge says that changing the mics has the biggest impact on changing the sound, which is confirmed at the various topics at the pianoteq forums.
This route makes it much more easy to find a setting to one’s liking i presume ?

So in order to have control over the sound in a way that has the biggest impact according to many, one really should go for the standard version instead of play.
But since there is still a probability that the OP belongs to those few who don’t hear a big impact/improvement no one can recomment the upgrade for 100%

I don’t have pianoteq, never used a trial either, but would go straight at the standard version, because i have high regards for the likes of slobajudge.... the piano vst addict :-) who has most of the available piano vst options out there.

Last edited by pianistje; 12/20/18 09:58 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've just had another bash at my StageTrial version--so much tinkering available with it I could be at it for donkeys' years, if I was so inclined. I see zero necessity to go for the Standard. But I'm only a plunker.

Falling in love with the Steinway D Prelude...even before tinkering. Soooo much better than my native sounds. Lovely. IMO.

M
M

Same case here but with pro version shocked. The only advantage I found is that sound can be modified to make cheap speakers/headphones sound a bit better. But for the difference in price, a good pair of headphones and speakers could be bought.

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
J
J
Originally Posted by thickfingers
Originally Posted by Arnes

Most definitely. Unauthenticity saps the enthusiasm.

Totally agree. So I am now practicing more on my acoustic these days.

Yamaha C2X
Kawai MP11SE
Kawai K300 (Sold)

My Youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxcUXVYxe1KM914SJX8YXsg
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Falling in love with the Steinway D Prelude

Have you had a chance to try out the Blüthner and Steingraeber too?

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Been through all of the GP's, top four in each group. Some of the others use a lot of processing power, makes it clip. I'll have a better look at those when I change my laptop. The Steinway D seems the most balanced so far, for me. I like it.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Some of the others use a lot of processing power, makes it clip.

Some of the models use different algorithms apparently. I believe that's why the different sound packs require different minimum versions of Pianoteq in order to run. The older models will run on older versions of Pianoteq, while the newer models require the latest versions.

[Linked Image]

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

OP says he wants to be able to adjust the tone of pianoteq more to his LIKING.

Slobajudge says that changing the mics has the biggest impact on changing the sound, which is confirmed at the various topics at the pianoteq forums.
This route makes it much more easy to find a setting to one’s liking i presume ?

So in order to have control over the sound in a way that has the biggest impact according to many, one really should go for the standard version instead of play.
But since there is still a probability that the OP belongs to those few who don’t hear a big impact/improvement no one can recomment the upgrade for 100%

I don’t have pianoteq, never used a trial either, but would go straight at the standard version, because i have high regards for the likes of slobajudge.... the piano vst addict :-) who has most of the available piano vst options out there.

Thank you for your kind words, really appreciate it. Yes, your opinion is correct. Bad side is more money for standard version, but where ever we go we also choose to better meet ourselves. If that route is product, it will cost unfortunately. The good side is that he obviously like Pianoteq stage and this is important first step to try further and second no matter that he have stage version he can install demo standard version beside it, just create new separate folder where to install demo version and it will work without problem.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I messed around with the trial version of Pianoteq Standard but it was too much fiddling around for me - so I stayed with and am happy with Pianoteq Stage.

I agree that mic placement has the most significant effect on the sound quality, followed closely by the quality of your sound system. In Pianoteq Stage the main way to change mic placement is the the drop down box of the Output area which lets you choose: Stereo, Mono, Sound Recording and Binaural. Generic and straight-to-the-point mic placement but still useful.

If you need more than that, Pianoteq Standard would be worth a try, but I found that matching the basic mic placement options to the piano models in Pianoteq Stage went a long way to making it enjoyable to play.

For the acoustic piano models
I prefer to use ‘Binaural’ with headphones and ‘Sound Recording’ with speakers. I feel like those are the best sounding options in both cases; and specifically with binaural / headphones the closest Pianoteq can get to the sound of an actual piano without sending the sound through an actual soundboard. The binaural setting has mics around your “head”, while the Sound Recording option has the mics placed almost up against the strings.

For the electric piano/organs models
I prefer to use the Line Out Stereo setting with both headphones and speakers. I’m not sure how realistic it is, but I like how it sounds. The line out stereo option is interesting because it models the pickups (mics) & line outs of the electrics pianos/organs. The binaural and room mic options sound kinda ‘meh’ to me with the electric pianos/organs.

For Harpsichord models
I prefer the Sound Recoding option for both headphones and speakers. I’m not sure if my the binaural / headphone option is more realistic, but I haven’t played enough actual Harpsichords to know.

It would be interesting to hear what setting other people use in Pianoteq Stage and see if it solved some of the issues or if it made any difference at all.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Groove On
.....but I found that matching the basic mic placement options to the piano models in Pianoteq Stage went a long way to making it enjoyable to play.

For the acoustic piano models
I prefer to use ‘Binaural’ with headphones and ‘Sound Recording’ with speakers. I feel like those are the best sounding options in both cases; and specifically with binaural / headphones the closest Pianoteq can get to the sound of an actual piano without sending the sound through an actual soundboard. The binaural setting has mics around your “head”, while the Sound Recording option has the mics placed almost up against the strings.

To be heavily investigated, thanks Groove. Just had a quick (very brief) mess with these--they alter the sound drastically...which I wouldn't have expected, so much anyway.
Incidentally--without having to consult the considerable manual--what does the "sound recording" label mean, exactly? Do the other options switch off continuous recording of your playing, or what?

Last edited by thickfingers; 12/21/18 08:44 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission