2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Many years ago I bought Sibelius music notation program version 1.4, I believe; it was later updated to version 2.

I bought it using an educational discount using my membership of the NAJE, National association of Jazz Educators. (That organization no longer exists.)

My wife uses Sibelius First, a free program from Avid Sibelius, to learn her vocal part in the singing group she performs in. Somehow along the way I must have deleted Sibelius First. My version of Sibelius was too old to handle the files she would receive to practice with.

My task was to solve this issue. I initially bought the 'middle' version of Sibelius and installed that. I learned online at the Sibelius community that I could have bought the Sibelius Ultimate program for less if I could use an educational discount. My wife, as it happens, teaches at a college, though not a music college. No matter, I jumped through a few hoops and bought Sibelius Ultimate (after first receiving a refund for my initial purchase).

The price difference between a regular price and an educational discount is staggering. I believe the Sibelius Ultimate price was €90 plus VAT.

My needs for notional software are meager, I just create the occasional lead sheet.

Just passin' this on. As you were ...

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
I think that price might be for an annual plan which allows updates for a period of one year. I don't think that will be a perpetual license price. This means to keep using Sibelius you would have to renew the license each year. If you have a perpetual license then even if you don't renew your software will still continue to function. It would just mean you would not be receiving the latest updates. Their licensing scheme is not straightforward! Steinberg's Dorico is much better option now I think.

H
H
Have you tried musescore ? It's open source, free and very good at creating lead sheets. It is no Sibelius but you can't beat the bang for the no buck.

Yamaha P-125, Pianoteq 6, Ravenscroft 275 VST, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
funkycornwall, your description of the licensing is accurate, I have free updates \ upgrades for one year and I can continue to use the program forever though unless I renew my subscription, I'll be using the same program without the updates.

I've been using Sibelius version 2 from 15 or 20 years ago without any updates and for my needs, it was more than adequate.

What I found interesting, the same download file is used for all three versions of Sibelius. The differences occur with the specific version being bought, or with the free version, being used.

halherta, no, I have not used Musescore. I was locked into ordering Sibelius since my wife needed that program to open the files she receives from her singing group.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW --

I bought "Sibelius First" -- a limited-features Sibelius -- a few years ago. Outright purchase, no annual fee.

Avid no longer has that option. There's a new "Sibelius First" -- different from mine -- and it's only available through an annual license.

So I have precious, orphan software, that I'll keep using until it stops working.

I've been fighting with the Sibelius user interface since I got it. I don't use it enough to get really comfortable with it, and often the program's "smarts" interfere with what I want to do.

OTOH, "scoring" is a complicated job; maybe there's no simple interface that's flexible enough to do the work.

I might look at MuseScore again. But I think its user interface might be worse than Sibelius'.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I went through every notation programme I could find. Hardly any would work on windows 7 with me pressing the buttons. NOTHING could i get my head around to make it worthwhile to pay for, or even download.

The only one which satisfied my level of impatience was Flat, a French software developer which is very intuitive. It costs £39 for a year's license, and is so intuitive, I never got to read the instructions. I use it most conveniently on a Chromebook. You can try it for free for a certain time.

I've updated and rewritten 12 original copies now. Got 'till April to finish the job off . . . . .:)

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I notated my last few reharms using MuseScore. Works extremely well. And is free.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I’ve done several large projects in Musescore with good results but I’m still frenemies with the interface. Once I’m in the “Musescore zone”, it’s smooth sailing; it just takes a bit of re-learning of it’s idiosyncrasies when I haven’t used it in awhile.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Many years ago I bought Sibelius music notation program version 1.4, I believe; it was later updated to version 2.

I bought it using an educational discount using my membership of the NAJE, National association of Jazz Educators. (That organization no longer exists.)

My wife uses Sibelius First, a free program from Avid Sibelius, to learn her vocal part in the singing group she performs in. Somehow along the way I must have deleted Sibelius First. My version of Sibelius was too old to handle the files she would receive to practice with.

My task was to solve this issue. I initially bought the 'middle' version of Sibelius and installed that. I learned online at the Sibelius community that I could have bought the Sibelius Ultimate program for less if I could use an educational discount. My wife, as it happens, teaches at a college, though not a music college. No matter, I jumped through a few hoops and bought Sibelius Ultimate (after first receiving a refund for my initial purchase).

The price difference between a regular price and an educational discount is staggering. I believe the Sibelius Ultimate price was €90 plus VAT.

My needs for notional software are meager, I just create the occasional lead sheet.

Hi Dave,

I have Sibelius 7.5 and gave it a good go. It is NOT at all user friendly nor intuitive.
Interestingly, the core team that developed Sibelius originally ended up at Steinberg. They released a new music notation program called Dorico which is supposed to be the Sibelius core team's attempt to build notation software learning from their own mistakes.

Might be worth looking into https://www.dorico.com/

Kind regards,

Doug

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

I'm strictly MuseScore. It does everything I need, it's quite stable now, and it's free. None of these programs are all that intuitive or user friendly, simply because musical notation is a non-trivial task. They all do about as well as they can....

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
L
Online Content
L
I use Sibelius 7. It is not always easy to use, but it works well. I do not use it enough to justify paying for a later version unless I could purchase an inexpensive upgrade. I spent enough on the original IMO.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
When I first bought Sibelius 1.4 over 15 years ago, I spent some time in the beginning reading and learning their program. I'm fairly comfortable with the program though one drawback, jazz chord notation. The program is more set up for classical music and not really for jazz notation (though I'm sure they will state otherwise).

For me, a Cm7-5, Cm7b5, or C half dim 7, could simply be written as Cø with the ø as superscript and without a 7 (as the 7 is understood). I'm forced to type in Chalfdim and then Cø7 appears. I find those little things annoying. I'm not going to spend an inordinate amount of time to save a few keystrokes considering my use of the program is rather limited and rather infrequent though.

I just looked at my bank information online and I paid €95.59 (that's including VAT) for Sibelius Ultimate. So, for anyone who can apply for an educational discount, it's not that much at all (considering I was happy enough with version 1.4). smile

I was also given a handful of additional downloads as well. I could download an entire orchestra sound set but I'd never use it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Horne

This is true with most professional software.... heavy use of Avid and Adobe in the schools, by teachers and students builds and maintains use as adults. I always tell students to get their software BEFORE they graduate and pretty much the same offers are there for instructors.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission