2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
OP Offline
N
I own a Yamaha P155 that I got new 5 years ago. I've played it since then more or less regularly but gently and took care of it.
Now I notice that the Yamaha's notorious 'sticky keys' problem begins to arrear (where the plastic guides at the end of the keys crack and break and the keys begin to stick and drag on return). For now I've got only one 'sticlky' - a 'B' next to middle 'C' but it's enough to drive me mad.
I initially expected that they would provide good reliable keys for a Japan-made model but they didn't. So lame of Yamaha!

Can anyone please recommend me a DP brand and model that potentially has no Yamaha 'sticky keys' or similar problems with the keyboard?
Perhaps Roland FP-90?

Please note that I'm not concerned with the sound of a DP - they are different but none is real acoustic piano. I'm fine with any of them in that respect.
However I can't spend another $1500 and wait until a $10 key will make the whole thing unplayable. This is so stupid. Yamaha should redesign that lame keyboard.

H
H
I'd consider the following DPs if you are looking for slabs:
- Yamaha P-515...I know it's another Yamaha, but the NWX action should not have any of the older GH action issues
- Roland FP-90 / RD-2000
- Kawai MP11SE

Yamaha P-125, Pianoteq 6, Ravenscroft 275 VST, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I dunno, if you're otherwise happy with the piano, maybe just buy some replacement keys and accept that you'll break on once in a while and have to replace it. It's pretty cheap really:

http://brokenchords.co.uk/epages/950001384.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950001384/Products/KEYS

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Those are cheap!

6.00 GBP = $7.60 USD

Yamaha in California gets around $5 for each black key, and around $20 for each white.

The keys need lubrication from time to time.
Originally Posted by NewPianoFan
I own a Yamaha P155 that I got new 5 years ago. I've played it since then more or less regularly but gently and took care of it.
Now I notice that the Yamaha's notorious 'sticky keys' problem begins to arrear (where the plastic guides at the end of the keys crack and break and the keys begin to stick and drag on return). For now I've got only one 'sticlky' - a 'B' next to middle 'C' but it's enough to drive me mad.
Yes, it's annoying. But the fix is fairly easy.

It's not the pivot point that causes problems, though. The binding happens at the front of key ... underneath at the post beneath each key, and at the vertical guide comb on the keybed.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I'd agree with fixing the broken keys. Over the years I've had to make a few repairs on my P90. My action has a tiny spring under the front area of the key that comes out of place once in awhile, I can never figure out how that happens because I don't have any pets jumping up and down on the keyboard. It's really easy to fix and doesn't cost anything. You might get lucky and find something similar.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
The keys need lubrication from time to time.Yes, it's annoying. But the fix is fairly easy.

It's not the pivot point that causes problems, though. The binding happens at the front of key ... underneath at the post beneath each key, and at the vertical guide comb on the keybed.

Please, stay with me for another moment!
What do you mean by the 'easy fix'? Please, please - elaborate on that. I'm really lost.

I've seen the problem explained on YT and a guy in the video shows where exactly the plastic guides are broken at the far end of the key. He also shows a quick and very rough fix - by melting the key with a piece of metal rod that will replace the guide. I don't like it. I would fabricate something different.

Do you mean by saying that the fix is 'easy' some similar method of repairing the broken key guides or do you simply mean replacing the broken key with a new one?

Here is the relevant video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uab6Ks3JhDE

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by ando
I dunno, if you're otherwise happy with the piano, maybe just buy some replacement keys and accept that you'll break on once in a while and have to replace it. It's pretty cheap really:

http://brokenchords.co.uk/epages/950001384.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950001384/Products/KEYS

Thank you for the link. I'll consider buying the keys from them unless the shipping to my location is too expensive.

However, at the moment I'd like to find out all possible repair methods for the broken keys.
I do all kinds of DIY repairs and fixing the guides doesn't seem overly difficult but I'd like the repair last so I don't have to disassemble the piano every now and then.

Last edited by NewPianoFan; 12/17/18 12:25 PM.
Have you opened the piano? Are any of the keys broken? AFAIK broken keys are rare.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Have you opened the piano? Are any of the keys broken? AFAIK broken keys are rare.

Not often, but a lot of GH boards are approaching the age where certain parts of the plastic start to fatigue and give out. There are a few videos on YT demonstrating how to replace broken GH-action keys (and highlighting where they tend to break due to age):

(4min mark shows where the keys can easily break)

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
N
OP Offline
N
My piano Yamaha P155 is only 5 years old! I don't think there is any excuse for broken key guides.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I have the p155 for 8 + years, and have the same problem with two keys, i need to get it to a tech, but i don't think it is bad quality issue on yamaha, its just nature of the instrument.

I know other that have to lube the keys from time to time, but they are living with the instrument quite well.

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Plus, although the GH action has been around for a decade or more, it's possible there has been running changes made to the production of the keys, to reinforce weak areas without impacting backwards compatibility. I have no idea if this has happened, but it would fairly normal for such a long-lived part.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
NewPianoFan: Are you sure that you have keys that are broken?

N
OP Offline
N
Yes - it's the same problem that is shown in the video: one of the plastic guides at the far end of the key is almost chipped off and it binds the key on return. This is a well-known problem with Yamaha CLP and P pianos as it appears.

Last edited by NewPianoFan; 12/19/18 11:37 AM.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Sorry to hear that NPF. While it doesn't happen to everyone, this is a well known failure point in the classic GH action, especially for ones that have been in service for a number of years. I'm still hoping it's something Yamaha has address with revisions to its composite molds, and I agree that the fix/replacement, while tedious and burdensome on end customers, is fairly trivial.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Sorry to hear that NPF. While it doesn't happen to everyone, this is a well known failure point in the classic GH action, especially for ones that have been in service for a number of years. I'm still hoping it's something Yamaha has address with revisions to its composite molds, and I agree that the fix/replacement, while tedious and burdensome on end customers, is fairly trivial.

Gombessa - thank you for your support and encouragement.
Perhaps Yamaha treats these plastic tops as pads on saxophones: they have to be replaced once in awhile.
Maybe it's not the worst keyaboard problem and I don't have to bash Yamaha so hard.
I confess: I was initially very disappointed and now I begin to calm down.

Judging by the number of negative reviews on keyborad problems with any brands and models I now see this is something we have to live with and I should really be happy that I had no keyboard problems for the last 5 years with my P155.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G

Judging by the number of negative reviews on keyborad problems with any brands and models I now see this is something we have to live with and I should really be happy that I had no keyboard problems for the last 5 years with my P155.

The P-155 is a fairly old model now. Did you buy it new? Honestly, I would not expect broken keys with regular use in that time, but lots of musicians gig with that board and it can stand up to a lot of abuse, so that may be part of the reason you're seeing key failures now.

There are quite a few folks, who after having sent in their DPs to Yamaha service once or twice, just learned how easy it is to fix keys, and then do it themselves.

Happy playing.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Yes, it's a known problem. I guess I'm lucky to have never seen this problem with a ten-year-old Clav.
Yes - it's the same problem that is shown in the video: one of the plastic guides at the far end of the key is almost chipped off and it binds the key on return. This is a well-known problem with Yamaha CLP and P pianos as it appears.
Since you know the key is broken, I presume you've opened up the piano. In that case you're half-way through the repair. Order the replacement key from Yamaha, stuff it in, and reassemble the enclosure.

N
OP Offline
N
Yes Mac - that's what I should do now but I doubt our local Yamaha reps carry these keys. In this country there is not much service from Yamaha.
I'm afraid I'll have to make replacement guides like that guy in the video I posted first but I don't like his method with a metal rod. I'm thinking of some plastic frame that will be attached to the end of the key with epoxy. I'll replace both guides and that's why I'm talking about the "frame".

Gombessa - yes, I got my P155 brand new from the store. Who knows, maybe I'm just 'lucky'? Well, one key isn't that bad after 5 years of moderate home playing anyway. I got panicing only because I immediately imagined more keys breaking after I have replaced the first one and I wouldn't like taking this 41 lbs. thing off the stand too often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission