Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
115 registered members (ando, anotherscott, amethyst16, astrotoy, Animisha, Arty Movie, apianostudent, 32 invisible), 1,713 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Resist the urge to play through - why?? [Re: Qazsedcft] #2792319
12/17/18 11:11 AM
12/17/18 11:11 AM
Texas
Dr. Rogers Offline
Dr. Rogers  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft

The advice was specifically about the initial learning of a polyphonic piece before you have it under your fingers. In that context, I found that trying to play through before you can securely play each measure has a high risk of destroying the work that you have done and introducing very difficult to eradicate errors. This is mainly why I practice short blocks of a measure or two in isolation for at least one or two days until they are solid enough before I even attempt the first play through.

Amen, amen, amen, so mote it be.

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Austin, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko", Baldwin Upright, Yamaha P-255
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Resist the urge to play through - why?? [Re: Animisha] #2792357
12/17/18 01:04 PM
12/17/18 01:04 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Originally Posted by Animisha
Originally Posted by Animisha
Why is it so very important to resist the urge to play through a piece when I am still in the first phases of practicing? Maybe it is not very useful, but what is the harm?

Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
The advice was specifically about the initial learning of a polyphonic piece before you have it under your fingers. In that context, I found that trying to play through before you can securely play each measure has a high risk of destroying the work that you have done and introducing very difficult to eradicate errors.

Thank you Qazsedcft for your answer to my question what is the harm. I understand, and you are quite right. I'll try to remember your advice a couple of years from now.
I think the above is overstating a concern. In particular, I don't think playing through before solidifying fingering has "a high risk of destroying the work that you have done and introducing very difficult to eradicate errors" for a Bach piece or in general.

When one is figuring out fingering or seeing if indicated fingering works well one may play with fingering that is not the final one chosen. So its not as though playing a piece with different from the final fingering can always be avoided. I've also had the experience of finding a better fingering than the one I have up to that point chosen when I play through a passage or the piece.

But, most of all, if playing through a piece even before a chosen fingering has been well learned gives a person satisfaction this can be a motivation to practice and can be worth it even if there might be some downsides.

Re: Resist the urge to play through - why?? [Re: Animisha] #2792360
12/17/18 01:13 PM
12/17/18 01:13 PM
R
Richrf Offline
500 Post Club Member
Richrf  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Resist the urge to resist urges. Enjoy your studies. Nothing of any consequence will happen if you play this way or that way. You are playing music not doing open heart surgery. Notice how beautiful the music becomes when there is no angst or stress - just play.

Re: Resist the urge to play through - why?? [Re: Animisha] #2794481
12/23/18 10:51 AM
12/23/18 10:51 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida
For some of us, it may take weeks or months to learn a reach piece, or to get it down musically. In this case, it may be impractical to never play it through, or may lead to frustration and boredom, with the loss of motivation. I agree it is more time efficient to learn each section prior to playing through, but we have to have fun and enjoy the music too, right?

I have lately been working on working out the fingering for each section prior to practicing extensively, to avoid learning fingering mistakes that can be hard to eradicate.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Resist the urge to play through - why?? [Re: cmb13] #2794494
12/23/18 11:17 AM
12/23/18 11:17 AM
New York City

New York City
Originally Posted by cmb13
I agree it is more time efficient to learn each section prior to playing through, but we have to have fun and enjoy the music too, right?
Yes, and any time "wasted" is so minimal that it's insignificant IMO. Posters on threads discussing this issue aren't usually the ones that have to prepare a concerto in 2 weeks, and their pieces are often five minutes or less. So efficiency and wasting time are not particularly important.

Re: Resist the urge to play through - why?? [Re: Animisha] #2794509
12/23/18 12:01 PM
12/23/18 12:01 PM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
thepianoplayer416  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
In the beginning, we all started playing easier and shorter pieces. Repeating a measure 10x may feel repetitive and boring. Once we get to a more intermediate level, the pieces are longer and hopefully more interesting. Instead of working on individual measures, we are doing several measures at a time. And instead of just learning the notes, there are other considerations like tempo & dynamics. Last time practicing a waltz the first 2 measures before the melody comes in have stacks of quarter notes making up 3 beats. Just 2 opening measures sounded interesting. You get into experimenting with different ways of playing to make a piece sound better. Even playing just 2 measures doesn't have to be boring.

A while ago someone in the family took a conservatory exam for level 1. For 2 weeks she worked on the assigned piece and making recordings every few days. At the time I don't think she knew the piece well enough to pick out all her mistakes. A lot of times if you break a piece into sections you are able to perfect each section but when you put the pieces back together you start getting wrong notes. It's not easy to have a perfect play through. On the other hand, you can only repeat a piece so many times before getting tired.

Playing orchestral pieces with a music group you get a lot of rests in between, a whole section of long repeated notes and then a section with fast and challenging notes. You run through a piece a few times and then just spend a lot of time with the technical section because you can easily read the section with the long repeated notes. The section with the slower notes tend to be boring so you work through the section with all the 16th & 32nd notes..

Re: Resist the urge to play through - why?? [Re: pianoloverus] #2794539
12/23/18 01:33 PM
12/23/18 01:33 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I agree it is more time efficient to learn each section prior to playing through, but we have to have fun and enjoy the music too, right?
Yes, and any time "wasted" is so minimal that it's insignificant IMO. Posters on threads discussing this issue aren't usually the ones that have to prepare a concerto in 2 weeks, and their pieces are often five minutes or less. So efficiency and wasting time are not particularly important.

Actually, I disagree. Sure, no deadlines means you can take as long as you want. But if your inefficient practice habits cause a piece that has an interest level of 2 weeks twice as long to learn, one will become frustrated and discouraged because they will continue to make the same mistakes and not see good progress.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Resist the urge to play through - why?? [Re: Morodiene] #2794560
12/23/18 02:23 PM
12/23/18 02:23 PM
New York City

New York City
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Actually, I disagree. Sure, no deadlines means you can take as long as you want. But if your inefficient practice habits cause a piece that has an interest level of 2 weeks twice as long to learn, one will become frustrated and discouraged because they will continue to make the same mistakes and not see good progress.
To take twice as long learning it would mean one spent about as much time just playing through the piece randomly as practicing it more efficiently. But if one only played it through once a day for a few minutes that wouldn't mean it takes twice as long to learn and one might be more interested in the piece because its sounds like a piece of music.

What you seem to have suggested would be some particularly inefficient type of practicing like playing it though many times each day before one has chosen fingering and worked separately on some sections. But I never meant one should use that approach.

Re: Resist the urge to play through - why?? [Re: pianoloverus] #2794568
12/23/18 02:33 PM
12/23/18 02:33 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by Morodiene

To take twice as long learning it would mean one spent about as much time just playing through the piece randomly as practicing it more efficiently. But if one only played it through once a day for a few minutes that wouldn't mean it takes twice as long to learn and one might be more interested in the piece because its sounds like a piece of music.

What you seem to have suggested would be some particularly inefficient type of practicing like playing it though many times each day before one has chosen fingering and worked separately on some sections. But I never meant one should use that approach.

I was describing the damage of inefficient practicing. And you would probably not believe how many people insist on practicing by just playing start to finish a few times per day!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Resist the urge to play through - why?? [Re: Animisha] #2794583
12/23/18 03:17 PM
12/23/18 03:17 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida
Well on the piece I’m currently learning (Chopin 72.1) I’m leaning one section at a time, but now that I’m 3/4 done, I play through it every few days. I learned p4, then p3, then p1, now I have to learn p2. Just did the fingering yesterday. I can sight read it slowly but not securely, but it is indeed fun to be able to play it, even if not quite ready to record or perform in front of others yet. Interestingly, once you have the L hand line on one page, and even some of the melody and timing, the next pages or sections become progressively easier. In this particular piece, p3 is probably the most challenging.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

Re: Resist the urge to play through - why?? [Re: cmb13] #2795588
12/26/18 10:06 PM
12/26/18 10:06 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California
. Interestingly, once you have the L hand line on one page, and even some of the melody and timing, the next pages or sections become progressively easier. .

Yes -- and once you have one piece by a composer, others by the same composer become easier -- you get into his head....

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Resist the urge to play through - why?? [Re: JohnSprung] #2795764
12/27/18 01:13 PM
12/27/18 01:13 PM
A
Azariah Offline
Azariah  Offline
A

I will play through a whole piece a few times if I am trying to select a piece for a recital or festival. An example of this is that I got a few festival options for Christmas and am skimming through them to see which might be best for me to work on. I won't play a piece more than a few times this way because of the muscle memory issue that others have discussed. That is a very real challenge.

Re: Resist the urge to play through - why?? [Re: Animisha] #2795776
12/27/18 01:39 PM
12/27/18 01:39 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida
Yes,Azariah, I mislearned one note on a Bach piece, and it's taking months to relearn it. If I'm not very, very careful, I play it the incorrectly learned way. The mistake "works", which probably makes it harder to eradicate.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

Re: Resist the urge to play through - why?? [Re: JohnSprung] #2795777
12/27/18 01:40 PM
12/27/18 01:40 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
. Interestingly, once you have the L hand line on one page, and even some of the melody and timing, the next pages or sections become progressively easier. .

Yes -- and once you have one piece by a composer, others by the same composer become easier -- you get into his head....

Agree!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New member advice needed
by Jmf68. 06/16/19 01:02 PM
Joplin Book Recommendations
by Jason Lenthe. 06/16/19 12:44 PM
Any info about piano dealers in NC, SC?
by ShiroKuro. 06/16/19 10:54 AM
Piano & Room Size, Voicing and other Questions
by ShiroKuro. 06/16/19 10:30 AM
Features/sounds: Do you use them? Why why not?
by Bruce In Philly. 06/16/19 09:58 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,547
Posts2,838,385
Members93,623
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission