Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
70 registered members (Charles Cohen, cfrederi, apianostudent, Animisha, AZNpiano, azone, Brahms4, ACSlater, akc42, 16 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How do you go about learning a new piece? [Re: John305] #2791186
12/14/18 09:25 AM
12/14/18 09:25 AM
Sweden
Animisha Online content
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by John305
When you are working on a section, whether it’s a couple of measures, a phrase or even a line, how do you know you’ve done enough for one day? Do you do a certain number of repetitions or a certain amount of time or a combination of both?

Neither of these. I start with a piece and practice for as long as I feel that I am making reasonable progress. Sometimes that is a short time, sometimes longer. Then, if I am not yet tired, I might start practicing another piece - or another part of the same piece, if it is quite different to what I have just practiced. I rarely practice only once a day; usually I try to practice at least twice a day but on good days with lots of time I sometimes practice five times.

Originally Posted by John305
The other question I have is how do you progress from day one to day two etc? What I mean is, day one you work on the first section that you felt was manageable, how do you proceed on day two, day three, etc?

I don't play very long pieces yet, so I don't have any advice for you in this matter.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: How do you go about learning a new piece? [Re: John305] #2792167
12/16/18 09:06 PM
12/16/18 09:06 PM
B
baudelairepianist Offline
baudelairepianist  Offline
B

I give a summary of my method in this thread if you're interested

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2791535/2.html

Re: How do you go about learning a new piece? [Re: John305] #2792244
12/17/18 05:28 AM
12/17/18 05:28 AM
N
Nordomus Online content
500 Post Club Member
Nordomus  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
N

I'm sorry but what are those HT and HS things?

Re: How do you go about learning a new piece? [Re: Nordomus] #2792246
12/17/18 05:39 AM
12/17/18 05:39 AM
Denmark
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline
QuasiUnaFantasia  Offline

Denmark
Originally Posted by Nordomus
I'm sorry but what are those HT and HS things?

HT: Hands together
HS: Hands separate.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28, Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
Re: How do you go about learning a new piece? [Re: John305] #2792285
12/17/18 09:45 AM
12/17/18 09:45 AM
Twin cities MN US
pianosuzemn Offline

Silver Subscriber
pianosuzemn  Offline

Silver Subscriber

Twin cities MN US
John, I'm working on the same invention! I my case, it's more about going back to something I love. I've been in a period of forcing myself to learn to play things that aren't Bach, and I'm not having as much fun---because if I had my way, I'd ONLY play Bach, so I'm just going back to these pieces for a while. I too try to get to hands together early on, especially for the inventions. When you get to the 3-part inventions/sinphonia and fugues you really have to do hands together early on, or you get all messed up in the fingering. When I started learning it, I went to measure 11 (but broke that into smaller sections too). Then I moved from there to measure 20, and for me measures 19 and 20 are still really hard! I have tiny hands and it's really tough to do those left hand parts. Then up through measure 20, and then on to the end. Somewhere in there, I started only practicing certain scalar runs in each hand, to try to get them smooth, and now I'm trying to just get the piece up to a faster speed, which is really hard for me too. I wouldn't focus on the number of repetitions for practice, just keep going as long as you feel like you cognitively understand the piece, before it falls apart. Then try again from different sections either many hours later or on the next day. Before you know it, if you like it and it's close to being at your level of difficulty, it will really all come together and you'll feel amazing because you accomplished something that's challenging!

[Linked Image]
Re: How do you go about learning a new piece? [Re: John305] #2792289
12/17/18 09:58 AM
12/17/18 09:58 AM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Bach's Inventions are not geared to reading by beginners.

Actually, Bach wrote the Inventions because his young students complained about the boring excercises he required them to do. He simply took the exercises and expanded the same set of notes into an example of how his students could improvise. Here is the frontispiece from his autograph:

"Straightforward Instruction,
in which amateurs of the keyboard, and especially the eager ones, are shown a clear way not only (1) of learning to play cleanly in two voices, but also, after further progress, (2) of dealing correctly and satisfactorily with three obbligato parts; at the same time not only getting good inventiones, but developing the same satisfactorily, and above all arriving at a cantabile manner in playing, all the while acquiring a strong foretaste of composition.
Provided

Anno Christi 1723. by
Joh. Seb. Bach:
Capellmeister to
his Serene Highness the Prince of Anhalt-Cöthen. "

The first invention is a perfect example. It starts with a short four note scale, the same one he had written out for his students.

Incidentally, your ideas for learning these works seem well founded.

Last edited by prout; 12/17/18 10:03 AM.
Re: How do you go about learning a new piece? [Re: John305] #2792295
12/17/18 10:10 AM
12/17/18 10:10 AM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
The only other things I would add - before ever playing the notes, first figure out the articulation and phrasing. This will determine the fingering. Then always play the same fingering and articulation. Evetually, you can add in ornaments and passing tones and change the rhythm and all the other things Bach intended. This will take some time - for most of us - a lifetime. laugh

If you learn to play these works without understanding the articulation and phrasing conventions of the day, which are not indicated but were known to all through instruction and listening, you will not learn how important fingering is to the articulation and ease of playing.

Last edited by prout; 12/17/18 10:13 AM.
Re: How do you go about learning a new piece? [Re: John305] #2794097
12/22/18 09:39 AM
12/22/18 09:39 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Online content
akc42  Online Content

Just outside London UK
I learnt this piece back in the summer. At the time I was struggling with hand independence and found the following little exercise just wonderful in becoming much much better at it.

Play the following in both hands, and octave apart CDEFGFED over and over BUT. Play one hand at half the speed of the other and staccato (whilst the faster hand is legato). Swap over hands.

I initially found that one way round it was relatively easy and the other much more difficult. Concentrate on the difficult way until both can be performed with the same level of concentration and speed. Keep practicing until it becomes easy to do both ways round.

Re: How do you go about learning a new piece? [Re: John305] #2794101
12/22/18 09:53 AM
12/22/18 09:53 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Boynton Beach, FL
Playing Bach is not so much a struggle of hand independence, but vascillating between 3 states of hands together playing:

1) Parallel motion
2) Contrary motion
3) One hand holding a note while the other hand moving

This happens on a note-to-note scale, not in phrases or measures. And with Bach, he can sometimes move between all 3 in a series of 3 simultaneous notes!

In order to really grasp how this feels, one needs to play slow enough to know which state they're currently in, and possibly ignore articulations temporarily until you are comfortable with the switches made in a series of notes. Then add those articulations in.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: How do you go about learning a new piece? [Re: John305] #2794125
12/22/18 11:23 AM
12/22/18 11:23 AM
USA
A
Andamento Offline
Andamento  Offline
A

USA
A lot of good suggestions already.

I'll add that one way I've encouraged students to approach Invention 8 is to add an extra step between HS and HT.

Step 1. Play HS (RH alone, LH alone) to familiarize yourself with each hand's part
Step 2. Play all 8th notes, weaving from hand to hand in the order they appear; then play all 16th notes in like manner
Step 3. Play HT

I find the second step helps prepare students for the HT playing because they're getting practice following the interweaving of rhythms; IOW, their eyes aren't staying on one staff, but are moving back and forth between staves in a system, which is preparation for the eyes going from top to bottom staff, reading horizontally and vertically in the HT reading coming next. (And, of course, there is some HT involved with the second step for this invention, in the places where both hands are playing 16th notes simultaneously.)

Their ears are getting a new layering of sound progression, as well, with step 2 added in. It seems to make playing hands together a bit less overwhelming the first time it's tried.

Good luck to you! You asked very good questions.

Re: How do you go about learning a new piece? [Re: sinophilia] #2794659
12/23/18 07:02 PM
12/23/18 07:02 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
500 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
Originally Posted by sinophilia
1. Bach is difficult.
2. Invention no. 8 is fast, so in the end it might be more difficult than others. In my opinion, no. 4 is by far the easiest one.
3. Hands separate practice in Bach is mandatory. Yes, in the end you have to play it all together, but you have to understand and "hear" each separate line. Hands together will have to be incredibly slow at first, but at one point it will click, it always does. Then when you have it all at 2/3 tempo or so, you will be able to speed it up very quickly. And besides, Bach always sounds good no matter what!

+1

Lisa

Currently working on Bach 2 part inventions, Chopin mazurkas, and some Keith Snell Level 5 stuffs, lol. smile
Kawai UST-9, Yamaha CLP565GP, Kawai KDP110

"Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer, and pour out my despair at the piano!" - Frederic Chopin
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai K 30
by Hotstrings. 07/23/19 10:18 PM
1993 Steinway Model B
by Rakvsv4301. 07/23/19 10:17 PM
Need assistance/advise Alfred's Christmas
by CRTT. 07/23/19 09:45 PM
Excited to play again.... is a Steck the right choice?
by Itsbeenawhile. 07/23/19 06:55 PM
Yamaha GH1 vs. ?
by henryh. 07/23/19 04:55 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,156
Posts2,851,244
Members93,963
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission