Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
102 registered members (Abdol, Álvaro, anotherscott, ando, bobsax, beeboss, 36251, 25 invisible), 7,890 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What is the best Chinese piano brand in 2018? [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2790224
12/11/18 06:18 PM
12/11/18 06:18 PM
J
Jack Knuckle Offline
Jack Knuckle  Offline
J

I have had the pleasure of playing four different grands of equal size from the Hailun factory: a Hailun, several Feurichs, two Venables and a ZImmermann all in the 178cm or thereabouts range in the UK. Here a some reflections from a reasonably competent (I'm Grade 8 distinction standard) but non-professional pianist.

(i) Hailun. Very impressed, some unusual touches like all Hailun grands have some sort of gas struts holding up the hinges to hold the lid up if you remove the prop stand. Actually it doesn't stay up under its weight but it only falls very slowly so you can't trap your fingers or risk damaging the piano by lifting and dropping the lid on yourself. I mean the lid covering the strings, not the fallboard lid. The struts are a bit ugly and even incongruous but the concept is impressive. The key surface of the one I played was slightly different and felt nicer than that of the 165 or thereabouts right next to it.

(ii) Feurich. I nearly bought one on the spot. I've played I think four. Two were very good, two were what I considered to be exceptional. The voicing and action regulation of the best that I played were done by a German technician called Carsten Shulz who apparently visits the UK regularly and the result blew me away.

(iii) Venables (180 and 200). These were deliberately voiced very differently and had different action adjustments in the showroom to demonstrate the degree of variation possible, which was both helpful and slightly frustrating, in that neither was quite adjusted to my complete satisfaction and I wasn't sure how to articulate exactly what I was looking for in a piano. The same day I later tried a Feurich regulated by Carsten Shulz in another store and just felt it had the edge slightly. However, both two Venables pianos were very fine instruments in their own right and the company customer serviced seemed second to none.

(iv) Zimmermann. Lovely lovely thing but at a price point well above what I could afford, and well above the same sized Feurich.

Concerns that I had:
(i) Components like key surfaces seem to vary from same model to model and if I particularly liked a piano in a showroom but had to order from a factory I'd be a bit concerned as to whether it would come with exactly the same components that I liked so much.
(ii) Similarly if a specific technician made the difference (at least for me) between a piano that was very nice and a piano that I couldn't stop playing until closing time, I'd need to be sure that I could get that same technician to work on my piano.
(iii) Regarding the Zimmermann, the Zimmermann brand was bought by Bechstein in 1992 after German reunification but only in the past few years have these pianos been made in China. Pre-1990 I have read disappointing opinions of "older", east German-era Zimmermanns. I would be interested to know whether that might in future years affect the resale value - would an outstanding nearly new Chinese-made piano with a German-sounding name suffer from confusion with a poor quality Soviet-era east German made piano?

Some time later I found myself playing a new Bluthner of similar size. My personal thoughts were that the action was slightly more responsive and offered a slightly greater degree of subtlety and dynamic range - but I'd hope so given it was five times the price of the Feurichs.

I have also played a Feurich 218 (briefly - I could never fit it in the house but tried it out of curiosity). Superb.

And finally I have played other Chinese-made pianos (but not sure where they were made or who by). Similar or even higher price points than the Hailun factory models, but I just didn't care for them as much - they felt too mass produced and lacking in personality.

Conclusion? I'm frankly blown away by these pianos and not surprised that the price is creeping up. Well done I say to the Chinese craftsmen and women who are creating such fine instruments, if this is the best they can do then the acoustic piano has a lot of life left in it.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: What is the best Chinese piano brand in 2018? [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2790238
12/11/18 06:39 PM
12/11/18 06:39 PM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia
Today I had an opportunity to play several Chinese upright pianos. I played Ritmuller, Weber and Elise. Of that four Weber has impressed me the most. I thought it was almost as good (90% I would say) as the same-sized Petrof upright nearby that I used as a benchmark, although Weber costs less than 50% of Petrof's price. Considering the price disparity I would definitely prefer Weber to Petrof.

Ritmuller was second. It has strange white keys, the plastic looks like it's a little bit transparent, very unusual and cheap looking.
Elise is a piece of junk.

I was told by a salesman that Becker brand is also good. Have anyone met a Becker piano?

Edit: Sorry, I just realised that Weber is South Korean brand, not Chinese.

Last edited by Iaroslav Vasiliev; 12/11/18 06:46 PM.
Re: What is the best Chinese piano brand in 2018? [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2790429
12/12/18 11:23 AM
12/12/18 11:23 AM
Lexington, NC
M
mackguy Offline
mackguy  Offline
M

Lexington, NC
I'm headed to a Steinway gallery today (I think) to check out an Essex and Boston.

The above Steinway experience certainly sounds like a bad dealer, or at least a bad salesman. Insulting your capability is just dumb.
How can they upsell you if they don't suggest your skill exceeds a meager piano?

I had a fairly impressive salesman at a jewelry store once, I was looking at a variety of $10,000+ Rolexes. I had been clear, I was not in the market, just curious to look. As I was getting ready to leave, I thanked the salesman for his time, despite my not being a serious buyer at the time. He pointed to the 20 year old Omega watch I was wearing (that I paid under $1,000 for) and said "That tells me you're a watch guy, and someday you'll be buying another nice watch, and when you do, I want you to buy it from me."

A great sales philosophy I think. Especially since Steinway has such tiers and aspirational status. "Oh, you love this Steinway, but your budget isn't there yet? I think you'll enjoy this Essex and if you have a budget to pursue a Steinway in the future, head back here, and we'll make you a great deal"

http://www.alphagearhead.com
Boston UP-126E
Yamaha P-60 Digital
A variety of guitars

Re: What is the best Chinese piano brand in 2018? [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2790475
12/12/18 01:42 PM
12/12/18 01:42 PM
Louisiana
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Jolly  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Louisiana
We've been impressed with our experiences with the mainline and higher-line products that have been produced at the Hailun, Pearl River (Ritmuller, Kayserburg), Parsons (Brodmann et al), and Perzina factories. However, there are specific models we tend to like more than others, see the Piano Buyer "staff picks" section for examples. It's not fair to say because it's made by "brand x", it's automatically good/bad, in the lower-priced segment.

This.

www.coffee-room.com

Over 1.4M (and counting) posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.
Re: What is the best Chinese piano brand in 2018? [Re: Furtwangler] #2790840
12/13/18 12:19 PM
12/13/18 12:19 PM
Rockville, MD
Seeker Offline
500 Post Club Member
Seeker  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rockville, MD
Originally Posted by Furtwangler
No-brainer to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J82GBNBBAZc&t=384s

Many dealers all over Europe

Or go to Vienna and visit the showroom

Hadn't seen (or heard) this one.
I agree - very impressive.
I've played a couple of the older German made Feurichs, thought they were outstanding too.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Boston grand
by Steven Bolstridge. 09/20/19 08:05 PM
Mozart’s D Minor Concerto
by MizuiroNinja. 09/20/19 06:52 PM
Fame Grand 200 digital
by monsieurmickey. 09/20/19 04:21 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,126
Posts2,871,471
Members94,463
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission