2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2789753 12/10/18 12:19 PM
C
Crocus
Unregistered
Crocus
Unregistered
C
Hi - Can anybody recommend a set of open back headphones to use with my Roland RD-800 ? I've been using a set of closed back ones and find they get uncomfortable and hot after a while. Something under $500 or so, not the high end ones. Would be interested to hear any thoughts before I go out and purchase …..

H
H
I use the Sennheiser HD6XX. Basically the same version as the Sennheiser HD650. It goes for $200 on massdrop. Great headphones. I also use the Schitt Magni ($99) headphone amplifier along with it. This setup works very well for me.

Yamaha P-125, Pianoteq 6, Ravenscroft 275 VST, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
C
Crocus
Unregistered
Crocus
Unregistered
C
Thanks ! I'll take a look at them ….

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Also, have a look at this headphones spreadsheet.

O
O
Hey! I have Sennheiser HD 599 paired with a Fiio portable amplifier and its absolutly great sounding. Its extremely confortable as well, much more so than other headphones i had higher in class and price.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by halherta
I also use the Schitt Magni ($99) headphone amplifier along with it. This setup works very well for me.

Schitt? Are we sure they're a good recommend?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thickfingers
I also use the Schitt Magni ($99) headphone amplifier along with it. This setup works very well for me.

I've read reviews that suggest that lower end Schiit equipment is very good. There is some controversy over some of the high end equipment, such as the Yggdrasil, but I've only seen good things about the lower end equipment such as the Magni.
And it is "Schiit," not "Schitt," as the manufacturer says, pronounced like, "that's some good schiit, man!"

BTW, even the Absolute Sound, which happens to be a bit "rarefied" and prone to ratings based on price, had great things to say about the Magni.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
C
Crocus
Unregistered
Crocus
Unregistered
C
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Also, have a look at this headphones spreadsheet.

Thanks, I did look at the spreadsheet. A good tool but a bewildering list of models. There's still nothing like hearing from people who have actually used some of these.

Well, I partly agree.

Use this list above, or any other, to help with style (open/closed), impedance, availability, price, etc.
And use the descriptions provided by others to judge the physical attributes.

But as for sound quality ... one person's gold is another person's crud.
And, aside from the subjective nature of sound, there's the ambiguity of the descriptive terms used.
So what can another person's description tell you? No much, I think.

The only person whose judgement matters is YOU.
Ya gotta try 'em for yourself.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
My Grado SR80e's are open back, and I am very happy with the sound. They are also suitable for use with smartphones without having to use an amp. They are on-ear though, so may not be comfortable for long sessions.

Greg.

H
H
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I've read reviews that suggest that lower end Schiit equipment is very good. There is some controversy over some of the high end equipment, such as the Yggdrasil, but I've only seen good things about the lower end equipment such as the Magni.
And it is "Schiit," not "Schitt," as the manufacturer says, pronounced like, "that's some good schiit, man!"

BTW, even the Absolute Sound, which happens to be a bit "rarefied" and prone to ratings based on price, had great things to say about the Magni.

Hah! thanks for the correction. The "Schiit" Magni is very good for the price. I'm a big fan.

Yamaha P-125, Pianoteq 6, Ravenscroft 275 VST, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
F
F
I also wanted the Magni, but it was difficult to find in Europe.

Finally I went for beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250Ohm + FIIO E10k Olympus 2

I got a very good price for headphones on amazon 113euros. THe FIIO is said to be able to drive up to 150ohm but it is fine.

I chose the DT990 because of the very soft earcups that go very smooth on my glasses.

I loved them also for music and you can really wear them for hours!
It was a great choice to pass to open headphones

Ps. I use this hooked to my mac+pianoteq and I use Roland FP30 as a midi input.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fofig
Ps. I use this hooked to my mac+pianoteq and I use Roland FP30 as a midi input.

Oh, interesting (to go off topic momentarily). That's four detected so far (including me if it pans out (test imminent)), of Pianoteq'ers using the FP30 as controller: Fofig, Quasi and Tyrone the others.
Maybe we can compare notes at some point, and mull velocity curves etc.

OK--back on topic! Headphones. Personally, my criterion is a good sound in my environment, bouncing off the walls, etc. If I can achieve that, headphone performance will be good enough. Only use them when I have to. So long as nothing actually jars that will suffice, for me. (Don't like jarring. Like bongoes, for example...)

Last edited by thickfingers; 12/12/18 06:05 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I use the Sennheiser HD 598 on a daily basis and am very happy with them.

One piece of advice, having destroyed several headphones throughout my life, consider buying headphones where the cable itself can be removed and easily replaced. You'll typically see this feature on more expensive headphones.

If you've ever tried soldering headphone cable you know it's a losing battle.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
One piece of advice, having destroyed several headphones....

Always catching the flimsy wires (whatever happened to curly cords!? Too expensive. Oh, I see.) underfoot on my bundle phones...only a matter of time before one gets yanked out, probably.
Soldering? Never done headphone wires (IIRC), but yes mikes etc (same skinny signal wires)--right pain to solder, with hardly any copper there and oftentimes fortifying STRING to negotiate, it's not fun.

Detachable cords wouldn't help me. The only wiring failures I've had were in the plug at the end (easy to repair or replace) and inside the earcup (hard to fix, and not preventable by a detachable cord).

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
One piece of advice, having destroyed several headphones....

Always catching the flimsy wires (whatever happened to curly cords!? Too expensive. Oh, I see.) underfoot on my bundle phones...only a matter of time before one gets yanked out, probably.

I always buy my headphones with a new Cardas / FURUTECH cable. Incredibly tight braided sheath. Never any problems. In fact, the 15m one for my HD800s outlasted the headphones themselves (sigh), and will probably outlast my next ones :
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Cardas? Really? REALLY? Their web pages make it quite clear that they're fraudsters. Have a look at some of their mumbledy-muck. Pure nonsense ...
Cable geometry problems are resolved in the cable’s design, not after the fact with filters. George introduced the concept of Golden Section Constant "Q" Stranding to high-end audio, but Golden Ratio, 1.6180339887... : 1 is as old as nature itself. Golden Ratio is the mathematical proportion of life itself, the heart of musical scales and chords. "Discovered" by the Greeks, but used by the Egyptians in the Great Pyramid centuries before, man has employed Golden Ratio to create his most beautiful and naturally pleasing works of art and architecture.

The signal used by your system, be it digital or analog, through tube or solid state, is always alternating current. The cyclic effect of alternating current vibrates the wire in your system like the strumming of a guitar string. The beating of the capacitive, inductive and mechanical elements in audio cable is set in motion by the transient energy of the audio signal, just as the guitar string is set into motion by the strike of a pick. This form of vibration or resonance distorts the audio signal and produces many sound anomalies, from colored bass to glare. Every interconnect, every speaker cable, every chassis and speaker wire has its own resonant signature. Like the mass, tension and hardness of the guitar string, the mass, tension and hardness of the conductor, coupled with its inductance and resistance, and the capacitance of the cable, determine what sound is made. Each strand in a cable has its own note or beat. Conductor strands interact with other same sized, near unison, and multiplistic sized strands creating beats the same way a cube listening room would, or one with multiplistic dimensions like 8’ x 16’ x 32.

Stereo systems depend on the purity of the audio signal. When the cable linking all components together imparts its own sound, the audio signal is corrupted. Cardas created a conductor that absorbs or cancels the noise released by the current fluxuation, by progressively layering strands that share no common resonant multiple. This conductor uses the same mathematical proportioning seen in the worlds greatest concert halls for essentially the same reasons. The infinite indivisibility of the Fibonacci Sequence or Golden Section is a key to controlling resonance. The ratio of ø (Phi), or 1 to 1.6180339887... to (infinity), is the Golden Mean, called Golden Ratio or Golden Proportion.

In Golden Section Stranding, individual strands are arranged so each strand is coupled to another, whose note or beat is irrational with its own, thus nulling interstrand resonance. This is the famous "Silent Conductor". It is the silence of Cardas conductors that allows them to be so uniquely musical and pure.

At the heart of cable oscillation is delayed or stored energy. This energy results from the lowered internal "Q", or resonant point, of conventional conductors. Cardas cables employ a unique stranding method where strands diminish in size towards the interior of the conductor. This design is called Constant Q Stranding and it allows each strand of the cable to share the load equally. It is a very effective method of reducing the Non-linearity seen in conventional conductors, without compromising the symmetry of the conductor or the capacitance of the cable.

This kind of nonsense has been all over the web, but has been quite absent from PW ... until now. frown

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Crocus
Hi - Can anybody recommend a set of open back headphones to use with my Roland RD-800 ? I've been using a set of closed back ones and find they get uncomfortable and hot after a while. Something under $500 or so, not the high end ones. Would be interested to hear any thoughts before I go out and purchase …..

If you like neutral cans, for open back the Sennheiser HD600 are still the cans to beat. They are the most comfortable of all the Sennheiser headphones due to having 4 pads instead of two in the cross piece. They are considered by audiophiles on YouTube to be perhaps one of the most comfortable OTE headphones available. A similar option (but cheaper) is the closed cans: Audio Technica MSR7's that delivery a neutral sound for less money. However, they are not as comfortable and the headband needs some fettering.

For more bass, you could try the Philips X2 fidelio's.

If you buy the HD600s, you will need a headphone amp to get the most out of them. Maybe they will sound ok without though.
HD598's and HD599's solid options on a budget.

The HD650's are a bit more bass led than the HD600s (neutral cans). The HD660s are sort of between the two. Nice cans, but if you like neutral, probably HD600's are better. If you like bass, the Phillips X2 fidelio's probably compete quite well.

The HD800 could be brought second hand. I know that you can get a mod kit for the HD800 to improve them up to the standard of the HD800S. Some say this mod kit makes them slightly better than the HD800S, it is that good a modification. With these, you'll definitely need a headphone amp. No point in buying a Ferrari and using low grade oil.

I tested the HD800S in a store and they were good but I doubt there is the added value that the price difference represents. In some ways, when you include the amp., decent headphones start to cost as much as a good entry level piano. Maybe it's better to go with lower impedance OTE headphones from a value-for-money perspective.

If I was buying now, I'd probably go to Amazon.com and buy a headphone amp (such as the Schiit" Magni) and also the HD600's, HD660's and Philips X2's on Amazon, test them and return the losers.

If you go onto YouTube, there are some great reviewers whose videos are worth consulting prior to making a purchase.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
This kind of nonsense has been all over the web, but has been quite absent from PW ... until now. frown

I only mention it because of it's nice sheath. It doesn't fall apart. Now that is not nonsense.

I made no claims about it carrying electrons any better. You are mentioning that. I just think it is a nice tight sheath and the cable has outlasted my headphones they were attached to (unfortunately).

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission